View Poll Results: How often do you use cash?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0% never

0 0%
  • <5% of the time

7 12.73%
  • 5-10% of the time

9 16.36%
  • 10-25% of the time

11 20.00%
  • 25-50% of the time

4 7.27%
  • 50-75% of the time

6 10.91%
  • 75-95% of the time

14 25.45%
  • 100% all the time

4 7.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use cash?

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,970 times in 1,706 posts

Default How often do you use cash?

There are many items currently on the table with this 'Great Reset' we are told is coming and that absolutely nothing can be done to stop it. We are simply passengers going along for the ride.

Although I personally hardly ever use cash nowadays, I would like it to remain a viable form of currency for at least a few more decades.

I'm curious to hear from others at Avalon to find out how often they use cash for either their purchases or sales of items.

I would trust a poll here over a MSM poll any day.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), ClearWater (5th December 2020), East Sun (5th December 2020), Eva2 (5th December 2020), Gracy (5th December 2020), Hym (5th December 2020), Ioneo (5th December 2020), Ivanhoe (5th December 2020), Mike (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), Sadieblue (6th December 2020), skogvokter (5th December 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,211 times in 5,679 posts

Default Re: How often do you use cash?

Almost never use cash. Very rare.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (5th December 2020), Ivanhoe (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), rgray222 (5th December 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 times in 199 posts

My partner and I prefer to use cash for day-to-day purchases (of course, online shopping requires a credit card). To me, it is easier to keep track of and feels more tangible. I find it easier to budget using cash. It costs me less in bank fees when I use cash, and small businesses get dinged less when you pay with cash (i.e, they are paying one less fee relating to the debit machine when you pay cash). I have been in a few small, independently owned businesses that have a small, discrete sign at the counter that reads, "3% off purchases made with cash payment". Purchases are anonymous; your name and banking information are not connected to what you've bought (though I suppose you might be on camera while you make the purchase!).

I could be wrong, but my feeling about hard cash is, "use it or lose it".

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), DaveToo (5th December 2020), East Sun (5th December 2020), Eva2 (5th December 2020), Lunesoleil (5th December 2020), meeradas (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), Satori (5th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (5th December 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,221 times in 2,093 posts

I used cash a lot before the plandemic, but now most places want you to use debit so they don't have to handle the money.

I would take out cash and pretend that is all I have so I would not spend without care. Debit & credit cards are just too convenient. When kids see money coming out of a bank machine, they think it is just that simple. Now if you don't even show them cash, what is going through their minds? It makes a difference when you hand them money for doing some work and that is what they have to buy extra things for themselves.

I expect that if we do move to a cashless society there will be other things that people will use for trading "off market".

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Eva2 (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,015 times in 2,416 posts

I use cash and coin as often as I can. It depends on the amount of the purchase and, of course, whether I’m at the point of sale or buying remotely.

Unfortunately, if fiscal and monetary policy continue as planned, cash and coin will in the not too distant future be a thing of the past.

Barter of goods and services will continue at the local level, and probably increase moving forward from the present.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Eva2 (5th December 2020), iota (6th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,003 times in 2,188 posts

Hardly use cash at all anymore. It is simply a matter of convenience.

About a year ago I decided to only spend cash on virtually everything I purchased for a two week period. When you are handing over cash you really think twice about how much you're spending and the items you are purchasing. I would estimate that I spent somewhere between 15-20% less. When you are spending cash you prioritize the difference between wanting something and needing something.

The cashless society is not about our convenience it is about people spending more.

Do people spend more when using credit/debit cards, Forbes; https://www.forbes.com/sites/billhar...h=2c0db7061c19

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Eva2 (5th December 2020), iota (6th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (5th December 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Patient (here)

I expect that if we do move to a cashless society there will be other things that people will use for trading "off market".
    Quote Posted by Satori (here)
    Barter of goods and services will continue at the local level, and probably increase moving forward from the present.
    I would like to hear from you folks and others more about this, from a practical perspective.

In my case, about the only time I've used cash in the last 8 years is to pay my neighbor's son to cut my grass.
    What could I possibly barter with him to do the grass (and on a weekly, bi-weekly basis)?

Hey I just thought of something.
    Maybe I could ask him what he likes to eat or what piece of clothing he wants to buy etc.
    Then I could buy the equivalent amount of those goods for him in exchange for him cutting my grass?
    If it's a more expensive item, I could carry over several grass cuttings until the item has been paid for.

It might just work.
    I never thought of that before.
    Is that a form of barter, or semi-barter?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,480 times in 2,545 posts

Local stores here have posted signs to please use cards due to "the coin shortage".
    Also, the banks are asking everyone to turn in their coins, due to the shortage.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (5th December 2020), iota (6th December 2020), Ivanhoe (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), rgray222 (5th December 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,376 times in 1,569 posts

Here in Thailand cash is king, despite they accept credit/debit cards the majority use cash and also bank transfers.
    I myself use cash and coins every time I need to purchase something physically, when purchasing online than I use crypto currency if available otherwise cash on delivery. I do not have credit cards, but I do have bank accounts that I use to move money from one place to another and that's all, I do not keep any money in the accounts.

Quote Posted by Satori (here)
    Very good point

People living in the rural areas as my in-laws they barter/trade almost everything, the most popular stuffs are rum, sugar, rice, pork/chicken/fish meat, cigarretes, seeds, crop production, diesel/gasoline and man hour service.
    It took me a while to understand their "scheme of things" without any money, my in-law had 2 hectares empty field from the last crop and want to plough the soil, but he needs a tractor which he doesn't have, then his friend came over with his tractor and gave my in-law a hand in exchange of a small part of the harvest, even the diesel for the tractor my in-law didn't pay, it was include in the deal.. I was there and I saw the entire thing, not for a moment money changed hands! They are using the barter system for centuries and it works, they base their prices on the local price system, simple as that.

The only income (money) they have is when they sell their crops to some cooperative and then this money goes to buy all the stuffs they can't produce, like diesel/gasoline, maintenance (truck, house, water pump, tools, etc..)
    Last edited by palehorse; 5th December 2020 at 05:15.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), DaveToo (5th December 2020), meeradas (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 124,909 times in 20,684 posts

99% cash and very rarely I use credit card.

L.E.T.S. can help revitalise and build community by allowing a wider cross-section of the community—individuals, small businesses, local services and voluntary groups—to save money and resources in cooperation with others and extend their purchasing power. Other benefits may include social contact, health care, tuition and training, support for local enterprise and new businesses. One goal of this approach is to stimulate the economies of economically depressed towns that have goods and services, but little official currency: the LETS scheme does not require outside sources of income as stimulus. The environmental benefits of enhanced locals' self-reliance involve less-distance transport (as local goods are substituted for imports) and more evident environmental effects. Moreover, diverse local economies support sustainability by decreasing the need to use assets in an inefficient manner to satisfy external consumer demands. That also requires improving the local Quality_of_life without having to make expenditures. LETS can allow for much greater self-direction and flexibility in employment patterns than the mainstream, conventional economy and, in particular, enable the skills of the unemployed to be valued and used.

Local Exchange Trading System (LETS) in WA

LETS does it: Ingrid Thys at TEDxUHowestSalon:

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 5th December 2020 at 05:46.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), DaveToo (5th December 2020), meeradas (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Grey Brain's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

75-95% I pay with cash frequency wise since the poll is for 'how often' - but note that the 5-25% of the time I am not using cash, is accounting for 50-70%+ of the total budget.

It used to be 100% cash (and worked VERY hard to maintain that) so I could maintain anonymity, but that is becoming harder, and very limiting in the world today...

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Grey Brain For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), DaveToo (5th December 2020), Ivanhoe (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,290 times in 1,184 posts

I don't have a visa card, I use my darling's credit card to shop.
    Personally, I pay in cash.
    Rare people pay in cash in supermarkets, I see it from time to time when I am at the checkout.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), DaveToo (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,064 times in 902 posts

I purchased new mattresses a couple of days ago and wanted to write a check. They would not accept cash or check, but a credit card was OK. Interestingly, they had financing available with no interest and which could be paid off at any time...I really don't get that exactly. The salesperson, who I think is going to be 12 on his next birthday...sigh...said he loses big sales because people want to pay in cash and walk out. What a turnaround for those of us who in years past took pride in paying for things when we bought them rather than charging them.
    It also makes any cash that people have in their homes (buried in the backyard! lol) valueless.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Michi (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (5th December 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,963 times in 638 posts

hardly used cash this year. Interestingly, in the news yesterday the government is moaning about the "missing" £50Bn that the Bank of england doesnt know where it is and thinks that UK folks are "hoarding" and that it is not illegal to hoard cash.

Going to be interesting when they try to change it in the months/years ahead...

More HERE - https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-04/...re-theyve-gone

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (5th December 2020), Ben (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (5th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

29. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Member Bassplayer1's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,045 times in 264 posts

I use a combination of both. I'm lucky to have a Saturday farmers market with mainly Mennonite vendors so its cash only which is great. When I hand over the money into their hands I know it's going straight to them. I'm also lucky to have several wonderful International supermarkets and cash is encouraged. I also try to do as much of the weekly shop as possible with these stores. I love them!

The second hand bookshops and music stores near me are happy with cash too. I've noticed that the interesting stores all do cash and its the bland shopping malls and retail stores and little independent boutiques that seem anxious around touching our money lol! In some stores, the staff on the checkout sanitize the credit card machines after every customer (and these machines are tap only no fingers tapping pin numbers anymore - even transactions over $100!) I find this 'new ABnormal' around germs entertaining but also very troubling. I worry about the children growing up watching this insanity.

I worry about folk who need to duck-n-dive for a living - anyone with less conventional ways of earning and also the homeless.

I've also noticed a link between stores that refuse cash having 'sanitizer police' and 'mask nazis' on the door and those that do accept cash being so much more grounded and laidback. Apparently (and I say apparently) there have been some covid cases popping up in the chain stores but no cases announced from the 'less fancy' but interesting independent stores ...

I don't really believe its about germs which is why its bizarre watching retail anxiety touching cash. We all know its about CONTROL!!!

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bassplayer1 For This Post:

Ben (5th December 2020), DaveToo (5th December 2020), East Sun (5th December 2020), gord (6th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (7th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 times in 199 posts

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Local stores here have posted signs to please use cards due to "the coin shortage".
    Also, the banks are asking everyone to turn in their coins, due to the shortage.
    That smells a little fishy to me.

Quote Posted by wondering (here)
    I purchased new mattresses a couple of days ago and wanted to write a check. They would not accept cash or check, but a credit card was OK....The salesperson, who I think is going to be 12 on his next birthday...sigh...said he loses big sales because people want to pay in cash and walk out. What a turnaround for those of us who in years past took pride in paying for things when we bought them rather than charging them...
    I know this happens in some stores, but it just makes no sense to me. Talk about shooting oneself in the foot. I can understand why customers would walk out rather than complete a purchase. Many places no longer accept personal cheques, but I admit to missing being able to pay with them when I want.

A few years ago, I learned about Time Banks. I love the idea. Time banks seem to be much more active in the USA and UK than here in Canada. While watching videos and reading information about how they work, the only thing that took the polish off the idea was that if certain kinds of exchanges are done (relating to professional services/skills, like carpentry, massage therapy, legal work, etc), then that had to be declared on tax returns! Kind of defeats the purpose. Most things (e.g., yardwork, painting, babysitting, tutoring, language lessons, drives to appointments, baking, etc.) can be done "cleanly", though. Another advantage of Time Banking is that it is community building and provides a context for people to get to know their neighbours and others in their community. That is appealing, too!
    Last edited by Nenuphar; 5th December 2020 at 14:42. Reason: Added a link

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Ben (5th December 2020), DaveToo (5th December 2020), palehorse (7th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

33. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,064 times in 902 posts

Nenuphar, I agree with you. I don't think for a minute that this is about money per se, but rather about control and reporting of all activities...Diane

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Ben (5th December 2020), DaveToo (5th December 2020), Hym (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (7th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (5th December 2020)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 times in 650 posts

Apologies, deleted for self preservation.
    Last edited by The Moss Trooper; 7th December 2020 at 19:50.
    May your Spirit stay unbroken, may you not be deterred.

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

DaveToo (5th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (5th December 2020), Grey Brain (6th December 2020), Hym (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (7th December 2020), scotslad (6th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 times in 233 posts

I've been taking a stand on this since that lockdown started, by simply not shopping in places that refuse cash. In most cases it's small, independent businesses, who often seem to have a snooty attitude to being asked why they won't take my perfectly legal tender. Considering the fine financial margins that most independent retailers operate in, I find this quite baffling. Especially so considering that all big chain stores accept cash.

I met a friend at the takeaway window of a bar last night, as we wanted to get some mulled wine and wander the streets. The sign said no cash accepted, so I asked the woman serving us why. She replied with a shrug, 'we had a meeting months ago, and just decided to do it'. I said to her that without cash, we have very little freedom in our transactions, which didn't go down well and she just stared at me.

A more positive encounter today at the local farmers market, when I stopped at an artisan bread stall, and again, a sign saying no cash. I asked if they really were not taking cash. The woman said yes, and I said ' you know more and more people are not able to get bank accounts, so how are they supposed to pay?'. She replied that she agreed with me that it isn't fair, and why don't I email her boss to let him know my feelings.

She gave me the details, and the other customer wished me good luck 🙂

I didn't buy the bread btw. And my friend insisted on paying for the mulled wine, so I technically didn't buy that either 😉
    Last edited by Ben; 5th December 2020 at 15:13.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Post:

DaveToo (5th December 2020), Hym (5th December 2020), Nenuphar (5th December 2020), palehorse (7th December 2020), scotslad (5th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

39. Link to Post #20
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I mentioned up-thread that I rarely use cash nowadays. It's purely a convenience thing in my case.
    I thought of another case where I have been using cash over the years.
    I pay to have my tennis rackets re-strung at my local tennis club.

Now here's the thing.
    They now have a new policy this year where they don't accept cash payments for tennis court bookings
    (their main source of income).

'Strangely' the tennis instructor who does the racket re-stringing at his home, only accepts cash!
    I wonder why?

BTW, we pay the same clerks who accept the non-cash payments for the court bookings,
    this cash. They then relay the money to the instructor who does the racket re-stringing.

Any hypocrisy going on here? So much for the no-cash policy.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

palehorse (7th December 2020), wondering (5th December 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast