+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IMPORTANT: the Password Auto-reset is broken, and also the Contact Us link

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,535 times in 32,788 posts

Exclamation IMPORTANT: the Password Auto-reset is broken, and also the Contact Us link

Hi, Folks: this is just something to stick in the back of your minds. We've received a number of messages that the lost password reset feature (which is meant to send an auto-reset email to you) doesn't seem to be working.

But the remedy is simple.
    • If you lose or forget your password, or are somehow locked out, just email staff@projectavalon.net and we'll reset your password manually for you. (That's really simple for us to do, and no trouble at all.)
    • DON'T use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. We believe that's broken as well.
    • Please DON'T try to re-register! That's not a hanging offense — at all! — but it creates a bit of a tangle for us behind the scenes, as then it means we have two of you.
    I've alerted Tommy about the bug, and as long as it's our problem and not Google's we'll be able to find a fix.

2. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (8th December 2020), Anka (7th December 2020), aoibhghaire (7th December 2020), avid (7th December 2020), ClearWater (7th December 2020), daddy-keith (7th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Eric J (Viking) (7th December 2020), Gracy (7th December 2020), Gwin Ru (7th December 2020), Harmony (8th December 2020), iota (8th December 2020), janette (7th December 2020), justntime2learn (7th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (7th December 2020), kfm27917 (8th December 2020), kudzy (8th December 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (8th December 2020), Mercedes (8th December 2020), Mike (7th December 2020), palehorse (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (7th December 2020), Sadieblue (7th December 2020), Savannah (7th December 2020), selinam (7th December 2020), Snoweagle (11th December 2020), Spiral (7th December 2020), Tintin (7th December 2020), toppy (7th December 2020), Tracie (Bodhicee) (8th December 2020), wondering (7th December 2020), Yoda (7th December 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,481 times in 1,693 posts

Default Re: IMPORTANT: the Password Auto-reset is broken, and also the Contact Us link

I have not been able to log in on my profile on my phone, because I did forget my password.. I have auto log in on my laptop... So I do need to reset my password... (So I can log in when I am not home)...

Please let us know when it is fixed??

And Happy Holidays Bill!

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), Harmony (8th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (7th December 2020), Mercedes (8th December 2020), palehorse (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (7th December 2020), Sadieblue (7th December 2020), Tintin (7th December 2020), wondering (7th December 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: IMPORTANT: the Password Auto-reset is broken, and also the Contact Us link

Quote Posted by Denise/Dizi (here)

And Happy Holidays Bill!
    Yes, will do. (For tech people, this might be a PHP issue resulting from the server move earlier this year. If so, it may not be hard to handle.)

I've also moved the thread to the public area. Otherwise it's not much use if you're locked out and can't see this info!

(And Happy Holidays to everyone, as well )

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (7th December 2020), aoibhghaire (7th December 2020), daddy-keith (7th December 2020), EFO (7th December 2020), gord (7th December 2020), Harmony (8th December 2020), iota (8th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (7th December 2020), kudzy (8th December 2020), Mercedes (8th December 2020), palehorse (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (7th December 2020), Sadieblue (7th December 2020), selinam (7th December 2020), Tintin (7th December 2020), wondering (7th December 2020), Yoda (7th December 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Trinidad Tobago Avalon Member daddy-keith's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thank you Bill. After much trial and error on my part, the staff reset my password. I was wondering what was happening.
    Again Thanks and Praise.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daddy-keith For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th December 2020), Harmony (8th December 2020), palehorse (8th December 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

I have not been able to log in on my profile on my phone, because I did forget my password.. I have auto log in on my laptop... So I do need to reset my password... (So I can log in when I am not home)...

And Happy Holidays Bill!
    Hi Denise, if you are using Chrome or Firefox you can always read the saved password, it is registered in the settings > Auto-fill > Passwords then you will be able to login in your phone.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), ClearWater (8th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (8th December 2020), Harmony (8th December 2020), iota (8th December 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)

And Happy Holidays Bill!
    Hi Denise, if you are using Chrome or Firefox you can always read the saved password, it is registered in the settings > Auto-fill > Passwords then you will be able to login in your phone.
    Thank You for that! It worked, and I was astonished to realize that my password had been changed!!! I also noticed that the site is now popping up on my browser as unsecure... Very strange...

I was able to log into my account on my phone however... But I have never had my browser alert me that the site is not secure prior to this.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), palehorse (8th December 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 times in 463 posts

And Happy Holidays Bill!
    i had this problem too when the switch happened to the new server. the reset password link didnt work but fortunately firefox remembered my PA password so just changed browsers to FF

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (10th December 2020), palehorse (8th December 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

And Happy Holidays Bill!
    Thank You for that! It worked, and I was astonished to realize that my password had been changed!!! I also noticed that the site is now popping up on my browser as unsecure... Very strange...

I was able to log into my account on my phone however... But I have never had my browser alert me that the site is not secure prior to this.
    Glad it worked, indeed I have the same warning here, and it happen due to the SSL certificate not been installed or expired, from a while ago all major browsers warn about un-encrypted connection to all websites, it is a browser warning.
    Since I am always using a Vpn or Tor connections it is always encrypted, I am not really concerned about that, but as far as I know most forums on internet they "hash" the password using javascript before it leaves your browser, then the text password you entered in the box, will be a hash to the eyes of the ISP or anyone else until it reaches the server where Avalon is hosted, in other words nothing to worry about, but you will have to add an exception to the browser in order to access Avalon.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (10th December 2020), iota (8th December 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Yes, on Firefox (which I use) one can easily go into Preferences > Privacy & Security > Saved Logins. Everything will be there.

Re the "unsecure" thing, yes again, and see this thread from several years ago:
    That's looks alarming, but there's nothing "insecure" about the site. It's a technical http vs https thing. For reasons too complicated and technical to explain, no-one's ever been able to fix it.

Tommy is hoping he might be able to find a very clever way, but it'll take him some experimentation and quite a bit of work. It's important, though, because at SOME point (and we can't know when) Avalon may just stop working. Browsers may refuse to go there.

We can solve that with an upgrade to a newer version of the forum software, but there are many reasons why that's non-optimum as well, as the new versions aren't better from a user-friendliness point of view at all. We'd lose a lot of features. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to persuade Tommy as gently as I can to please devote a couple days to this. We'd happily pay him as a professional software developer... it's that important.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (11th December 2020), ClearWater (8th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (10th December 2020), Gwin Ru (8th December 2020), Harmony (8th December 2020), iota (8th December 2020), kudzy (8th December 2020), palehorse (8th December 2020), Yoda (8th December 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,006 times in 904 posts

thank you Bill, I am back in...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meat suit For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Denise/Dizi (10th December 2020), Harmony (8th December 2020), palehorse (8th December 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Yes Thank You to everyone who helped me to be able to log in again. Much appreciated...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th December 2020), Constance (11th December 2020), palehorse (12th December 2020)

+ Reply to Thread