+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: List 3 main survival foods for storing in case of food shortages

1. Link to Post #41
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 720 posts

Default Re: List 3 main survival foods for storing in case of food shortages

There's been a few mentions of getting enough for 'weeks', I'm thinking years. I'm stocking up as many of the things I prefer that will last a couple years because prices will skyrocket and choices will greatly diminish.

I'm also trying to figure out which indoor/led vegetable garden system to get going now for year round greens and tomatoes and misc.

I started using this signature April 6, and the false 'statistics' are still the foundational lie/excuse for all the self-destructions
    of life/livelihoods/liberties people are being duped and/or shamed into doing to themselves and each other. Pretty clever.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to waves For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (13th December 2020), Metaphor (12th December 2020), palehorse (13th December 2020), RunningDeer (13th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

3. Link to Post #42
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,971 times in 1,706 posts

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    Don't store anything that you don't eat normally, or it will just go bad eventually.
    Not unless there is a food shortage and you are desperate to eat anything to survive.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (13th December 2020), palehorse (13th December 2020), RunningDeer (13th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

5. Link to Post #43
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

Quote Posted by waves (here)
    There's been a few mentions of getting enough for 'weeks', I'm thinking years. I'm stocking up as many of the things I prefer that will last a couple years because prices will skyrocket and choices will greatly diminish.

I'm also trying to figure out which indoor/led vegetable garden system to get going now for year round greens and tomatoes and misc.

I started using this signature April 6, and the false 'statistics' are still the foundational lie/excuse for all the self-destructions
    of life/livelihoods/liberties people are being duped and/or shamed into doing to themselves and each other. Pretty clever.

My last experience stocking rice, it was about 75 kilos of jasmine rice, and I can say almost half of it was completely wasted by mold, it is very hard to store things for long time in hot and humid climate, even the government cooperatives suffered from mold years ago and lost a great number of their annual exports that year. Today I have 40 kilos in stock, I learned by mistake that is the limit I can store for a family of 3 person. It will take a year to consume it all, we do not eat rice that much.

In regards of vegetables, this is one idea and it is working out for me, perennial vegetables plant once and harvest for a long time.
    Almost no maintenance, you have to learn what grows well in your specific climate, and perennials are more resistant than other crops. I learned with some elderly when a perennial catch a decease, the best option is to remove it completely, then start a new plant, do not try to control pests in perennials, it is a waste of time.

Here is a small list of perennials:

Do not requite much space
    - kale
    - asparagus (take long to establish but after that it is just harvest)
    - wild leeks (great to plant in a shady corner, my friend is planting is a large rectangular vase - ref.: https://www.ediblewildfood.com/wild-leek.aspx)
    - many roots like (3G meds) galangal, ginger, garlic, also radish and taro (great for soups and fried as snacks).
    - berry bushes (almost all berries are perennial, they grow like weed after established)
    - artichokes
    - green long beans (quite taste)
    - mushrooms (I found out it require quite a lot of work to take care, they are like babies, very sensitive, we also picked many times the wild ones in the jungle (they are perennials in nature), I even tried to grow them in a small controlled space, but they hate that hahaahah not a single one grew up)

Require some space
    - papaya (we use for salad when green, and fruit for smooths when ripe)
    - bananas (it just keep growing and sprouting everywhere)
    - coconut (sometimes we put down coconut trees because 5 more is growing around)
    - bamboo shoots (be careful it is very invasive perennial, the shoots are great for eat, very nutritive)
    - any citrus plant like lemons, oranges, tangerines, pomelos will do well for decades providing fruits every season.
    - avocado (my favorite).
    - jack fruit (the king's fruit, amazing taste, but large tree, problem is once you harvest you have to eat, some lady told me is possible to dry and make powder of it, but I can't see real use of the powder)
    - noni (it grows wildly in our land, we eat as salad, but most people I know in other countries they make a very powerful juice from it)

There exist hundreds if not thousands of edible species, but you have to plant what grows well in your climate.

Some of them are also annual crops, when you harvest you can process it, like drying and pack, or freeze, or prepare some delicious pickles and store for a long time (I have my ginger and bamboo shoots from last year, still fresh like a year ago, the old it gets the better it taste).

In our land we do not take care of anything on a daily basis, but if we do not interfere sometimes it just start to take over, papayas grow like weed, Galanga root infested the place time ago, we had to dig it out because it was spreading fast, just like the bamboo plant, it grows naturally in our land, every since in a while we have to dig to remove the roots because it spread in the soil, it goes sideways and not deep in the soil (invasive).

I do recommend this book here > https://www.pdfdrive.com/perennial-v...194981991.html

I am still in learning process in order to be able to survive 100% from the land, I believe it will take a little while until I move definitely to the land, but you do not need to be in the land in order to have perennials, my cousin she is planting a lot in the walls (using some Japanese techniques).

Happy farming
    Last edited by palehorse; 13th December 2020 at 09:26. Reason: typos
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Antagenet (12th June 2022), Bill Ryan (13th December 2020), Ewan (13th December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (13th December 2020), Journeyman (16th December 2020), RunningDeer (13th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020), Trisher (13th December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

7. Link to Post #44
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,192 times in 437 posts

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)

My last experience stocking rice, it was about 75 kilos of jasmine rice, and I can say almost half of it was completely wasted by mold, it is very hard to store things for long time in hot and humid climate, even the government cooperatives suffered from mold years ago and lost a great number of their annual exports that year. Today I have 40 kilos in stock, I learned by mistake that is the limit I can store for a family of 3 person. It will take a year to consume it all, we do not eat rice that much.

In regards of vegetables, this is one idea and it is working out for me, perennial vegetables plant once and harvest for a long time.
    Almost no maintenance, you have to learn what grows well in your specific climate, and perennials are more resistant than other crops. I learned with some elderly when a perennial catch a decease, the best option is to remove it completely, then start a new plant, do not try to control pests in perennials, it is a waste of time.

Here is a small list of perennials:

Do not requite much space
    - kale
    - asparagus (take long to establish but after that it is just harvest)
    - wild leeks (great to plant in a shady corner, my friend is planting is a large rectangular vase - ref.: https://www.ediblewildfood.com/wild-leek.aspx)
    - many roots like (3G meds) galangal, ginger, garlic, also radish and taro (great for soups and fried as snacks).
    - berry bushes (almost all berries are perennial, they grow like weed after established)
    - artichokes
    - green long beans (quite taste)
    - mushrooms (I found out it require quite a lot of work to take care, they are like babies, very sensitive, we also picked many times the wild ones in the jungle (they are perennials in nature), I even tried to grow them in a small controlled space, but they hate that hahaahah not a single one grew up)

Require some space
    - papaya (we use for salad when green, and fruit for smooths when ripe)
    - bananas (it just keep growing and sprouting everywhere)
    - coconut (sometimes we put down coconut trees because 5 more is growing around)
    - bamboo shoots (be careful it is very invasive perennial, the shoots are great for eat, very nutritive)
    - any citrus plant like lemons, oranges, tangerines, pomelos will do well for decades providing fruits every season.
    - avocado (my favorite).
    - jack fruit (the king's fruit, amazing taste, but large tree, problem is once you harvest you have to eat, some lady told me is possible to dry and make powder of it, but I can't see real use of the powder)
    - noni (it grows wildly in our land, we eat as salad, but most people I know in other countries they make a very powerful juice from it)

There exist hundreds if not thousands of edible species, but you have to plant what grows well in your climate.

Some of them are also annual crops, when you harvest you can process it, like drying and pack, or freeze, or prepare some delicious pickles and store for a long time (I have my ginger and bamboo shoots from last year, still fresh like a year ago, the old it gets the better it taste).

In our land we do not take care of anything on a daily basis, but if we do not interfere sometimes it just start to take over, papayas grow like weed, Galanga root infested the place time ago, we had to dig it out because it was spreading fast, just like the bamboo plant, it grows naturally in our land, every since in a while we have to dig to remove the roots because it spread in the soil, it goes sideways and not deep in the soil (invasive).

I do recommend this book here > https://www.pdfdrive.com/perennial-v...194981991.html

I am still in learning process in order to be able to survive 100% from the land, I believe it will take a little while until I move definitely to the land, but you do not need to be in the land in order to have perennials, my cousin she is planting a lot in the walls (using some Japanese techniques).

Happy farming
    I agree Palehorse. There will be foods that we fill up on that are not necessarily nutritious on a long term basis. If we have access to foraging and also perennials then we at least get fresh food. Eating is also about the "light energy" in food. The essential life-force energy it gives us. Light energy is only available in fresh, uncooked, unprocessed foods.
    I like the idea of guerilla gardening. Its called that because you plant perennials in the wild around you where you can. Things like wild garlic, wild strawberries and even nettles would go unnoticed. Its not about introducing a non-native species but something that is already able to thrive where you live. In doing this you help all wild-life and you help others who also need to forage in times of scarcity.
    We would be much healthier eating less packaged and processed foods and eating fresh grown and foraged foods with concentrated nutrients and life-force.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Anka (13th December 2020), Bill Ryan (13th December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (13th December 2020), Journeyman (16th December 2020), palehorse (14th December 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (14th December 2020), RunningDeer (13th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020)

9. Link to Post #45
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 720 posts

Palehorse....I didn't even think about perennial vegetables or which ones were, great tip, thank you. Let's not forget that the beginning of this takedown included a few instances of trying out banning the purchase of seeds!!!

Do you think rice still won't do well stored over a year in a humid climate by the mylar method? I found it easy to suck out the air before sealing a 5 pound bag, and instructions include always including an oxygen absorber inside, then it's supposedly good for 10-20 years. I also froze the rice for a week first before packing to kill any critters.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to waves For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), palehorse (14th December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020)

11. Link to Post #46
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Vacuum packing at home. Here are a few methods. Some methods do not require electricity, some do. Vacuum packing removes most moisture and oxygen from a sealed container of stored food.

Link
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 14th December 2020 at 16:40.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), fifi (15th December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), palehorse (14th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

13. Link to Post #47
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,945 times in 1,689 posts

Buy a large quantity of paper plates and some disposable plastic plates and cups. A lot of water is required to wash the simplest plate, dish, cup or pot. Even with care to be frugal in their use, they can save your water for drinking, cooking and sponge bathing. Ghee instead of butter in small cans will go far without a refrigerator I believe.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Brigantia (6th March 2021), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), palehorse (14th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

15. Link to Post #48
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Trisher (here)
    I agree Palehorse. There will be foods that we fill up on that are not necessarily nutritious on a long term basis. If we have access to foraging and also perennials then we at least get fresh food. Eating is also about the "light energy" in food. The essential life-force energy it gives us. Light energy is only available in fresh, uncooked, unprocessed foods.
    I like the idea of guerilla gardening. Its called that because you plant perennials in the wild around you where you can. Things like wild garlic, wild strawberries and even nettles would go unnoticed. Its not about introducing a non-native species but something that is already able to thrive where you live. In doing this you help all wild-life and you help others who also need to forage in times of scarcity.
    We would be much healthier eating less packaged and processed foods and eating fresh grown and foraged foods with concentrated nutrients and life-force.

thanks Trisher about mentioned "light energy", it was like a bell ringing in my head I still consume some industrialized products like bread (sometimes too lazy to bake), cheese (I have no idea how to make cheese, no raw milk, i guess will need a cow and some bacteria), cooking oil (I am looking into home made coconut oil, already know how to process the milk and the fat that comes together), and a few other stuffs, spaguetti (I would love to learn how to make it, if not too labour) time to find alternatives!

Palehorse....I didn't even think about perennial vegetables or which ones were, great tip, thank you. Let's not forget that the beginning of this takedown included a few instances of trying out banning the purchase of seeds!!!

Do you think rice still won't do well stored over a year in a humid climate by the mylar method? I found it easy to suck out the air before sealing a 5 pound bag, and instructions include always including an oxygen absorber inside, then it's supposedly good for 10-20 years. I also froze the rice for a week first before packing to kill any critters.
    The perennials is the way the folks living of the land are doing for ages around our place and sure many other places as well.
    Absolutely, seeds are very important to store, I have quite a few in cans and small carton packages, not the best method for storage but it is working, also I rotate them, the old ones goes first to the land, I have stickers on it with the date of collection/purchase, local name and scientific name on it, you can't go wrong.

Yes, thank you for the mylar method, I heard about it many years ago but never tried, I will definitely explore the idea, since in the country side most people (include my in laws) do not have a fridge/freezer in their homes, some of them not even electricity!

Here I am sharing this photo, it is a local rice storage used by the farmers (each farmer's house has one more or less like this, some are really big), my father in law built it when he was actively farming, he used to store the harvest (rice with hulls) and kept in there until find buyers, nowadays after he passed away the young generation won't even bother looking into this stuffs (i guess there is easier methods available like the mylar) they kept the little rice storage to decorate the place, it is rotting now, no real use for that.

p.s. I never noticed anyone using the mylar method in the country side, I believe due to the abundance of rice, and Thai people eat a lot of rice with everything, no one really stock on rice, I am stocking because I am in the city right now and I do not know if things will get creepy over here, hopefully not.
    Last edited by palehorse; 14th December 2020 at 18:01.
    --

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), Peace in Oz (14th December 2020), Strat (15th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (16th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

17. Link to Post #49
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I have a distant cousin somewhere East of Tampa who bought a small parcel of land, enough to keep come cows, and he has built a large chicken coup. Before I knew what he was building this "house" for, as a lark, I asked him what the rent was. Those are lucky chickens!
    Last edited by amor; 14th December 2020 at 18:50. Reason: typo

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), palehorse (14th December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

19. Link to Post #50
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I remember reading somewhere, some time ago, that heating in an oven at 105 degrees for a short time is helpful before packing foods for storage. I presume this referred to things like grain or rice. The specifications for this preliminary work may be somewhere on line.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), palehorse (15th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

21. Link to Post #51
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I would like to record here something which is of nutritional value in selecting food to grow and where to grow it in the case of avocado pears. For three years of my life, I lived on a volcanic island with some distant relatives. They had some land on a side of a mountain and on the flat bottom. The soil was volcanic and filled with fallen coco leaves and fruit leaves with their accumulated nutrition. In the prolific orchard grew avocado pears. They are the very finest in flavor because of the minerals accumulated in the soil from past volcanic eruptions plus years of accumulated rotting organic matter. By comparison, the avocados from our supermarket are tasteless, except for some Haas avocados, now and then, which may have been grown in similar soil. I often think that Dominica would be an ideal place to grow fruit for export everywhere because of the nutrients in the soil; that is, if you don't mind being blown into orbit from time to time by their volcano.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Constance (14th December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Hym (15th December 2020), Journeyman (16th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), palehorse (15th December 2020), Peace in Oz (14th December 2020), thepainterdoug (14th December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

23. Link to Post #52
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Palehorse, the rice storage barn is about the size of my apartment !

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), palehorse (15th December 2020), wondering (14th December 2020)

25. Link to Post #53
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ron Mauer Sr (here)
    Vacuum packing at home. Here are a few methods. Some methods do not require electricity, some do. Vacuum packing removes most moisture and oxygen from a sealed container of stored food.

Link
    Sir, thank you very much, your website is very informative, I added to my bookmarks.
    --

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), thepainterdoug (21st December 2020)

27. Link to Post #54
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    Palehorse, the rice storage barn is about the size of my apartment !
    Thepainterdoug, this one is the small size maybe 20 sq. meter, you can just stand inside, it is about 2 meters, I had seen others 10x the size of this one, this is a very old type of building, I would say it is almost as a Cob house (mud house), because they use the same principle to build, it is naturally insulated with the sticks in between the mud walls, I remember my in law saying something about bulls excrement, clay, sand and rice straw to make the mixture (cement) for the walls.. our mud oven was built using the same principle, not sure if it has excrement though, all I can say it has no smell at all ahahah
    Last edited by palehorse; 16th December 2020 at 03:15.
    --

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (16th December 2020), thepainterdoug (21st December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020)

29. Link to Post #55
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Lots of really good ideas in this thread. They've given me a lot to think about and consider.

For my three, I think I'd probably go with dry beans, dry brown rice, and chia seeds. All three of those can be sprouted in addition to cooking the rice and beans. Chia offers good fat plus protein and nutrients. I have a still I could use if I needed to treat water to drink.

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Brenya For This Post:

Anchor (21st December 2020), Antagenet (21st December 2020), Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Harmony (21st December 2020), palehorse (20th December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020), thepainterdoug (21st December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020)

31. Link to Post #56
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 times in 337 posts

1. Oatmeal
    2. Dehydrated Tomato Powder
    3. Dehydrated Potato flakes
    4. Canned Sardines and Tuna
    5. Ghee
    6. Coconut oil
    7. Salt, Tamari and Soy sauce
    8. Honey, sugar and molasses
    9. lentils for sprouting
    10. Chia and flax seeds.
    11. Apple Cider Vinegar
    12. Powdered Milk
    13. Spices and Herbs both culinary and medicinal
    14. Pasta and Cous Cous.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (21st December 2020), palehorse (21st December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (21st December 2020), thepainterdoug (21st December 2020)

33. Link to Post #57
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,192 times in 437 posts

There are many good suggestions on this thread. It is evident from reading the various lists and ideas that we need the right equipment for cooking if we no longer have access to gas or electricity. We also need to consider how we can move forward with food foraging and growing food if there really is no more in the shops and our stored food eventually runs out. It is up to us how far down that line we want to go.

Good books on eating and gathering wild food and books on survival techniques, gardening and seed saving, fermenting, bottling, canning and veg storing, would be useful but reading them before things get tough is essential. Getting to know the area we live in and the whereabouts of edible wild foods and also the people who would share and trade and help.

Ideally we should be incorporating a few things into our lives right now to make us more self sufficient. This could range from growing our own fruit and veg on land to growing in window boxes and balconies. It might include making our first jar of fermented veggies or identifying an edible weed.

Right now in the UK there are lorry loads of food stuck in docks in long queues from here to christmas. There is utter joy in learning to start taking responsibility for growing or foraging food. The system we have has taken us far away from this and is now bringing us back with a jolt. A silver lining amongst the chaos.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (21st December 2020), palehorse (21st December 2020)

35. Link to Post #58
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

Quote Posted by Trisher (here)
    There are many good suggestions on this thread. It is evident from reading the various lists and ideas that we need the right equipment for cooking if we no longer have access to gas or electricity. We also need to consider how we can move forward with food foraging and growing food if there really is no more in the shops and our stored food eventually runs out. It is up to us how far down that line we want to go.

Good books on eating and gathering wild food and books on survival techniques, gardening and seed saving, fermenting, bottling, canning and veg storing, would be useful but reading them before things get tough is essential. Getting to know the area we live in and the whereabouts of edible wild foods and also the people who would share and trade and help.

Ideally we should be incorporating a few things into our lives right now to make us more self sufficient. This could range from growing our own fruit and veg on land to growing in window boxes and balconies. It might include making our first jar of fermented veggies or identifying an edible weed.

Right now in the UK there are lorry loads of food stuck in docks in long queues from here to christmas. There is utter joy in learning to start taking responsibility for growing or foraging food. The system we have has taken us far away from this and is now bringing us back with a jolt. A silver lining amongst the chaos.
    I started with a book called "Foraging Texas". I would imagine they are available for all areas. I also store seeds each year from my harvest to plant the next season. It takes some work and practice but anyone can do it even in an apartment or small space.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Alan (6th March 2021), Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (21st December 2020), Franny (21st December 2020), palehorse (21st December 2020), Trisher (21st December 2020)

37. Link to Post #59
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

If you have an overabundance of food in your own backyard, or you know of someone who does, here is a great website to share

http://fallingfruit.org/

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Alan (6th March 2021), Bill Ryan (21st December 2020), Franny (27th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (21st December 2020), Metaphor (21st December 2020), palehorse (23rd December 2020), Strat (21st December 2020)

39. Link to Post #60
    Costa Rica Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,431 times in 557 posts

My wife and I recently began growing giant rabbits, called Flemish rabbits. They eat grasses, so no need for extra food beyond a few simple plants with iron and vitamins, and they get to about 38 pounds - the size of a medium dog when full grown. Their litter is smaller - 3 to 4, but they are hardy and very mellow.

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jim_Duyer For This Post:

Alan (6th March 2021), Bill Ryan (5th March 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (5th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (5th March 2021), Rosco1 (2nd December 2023), Sirus (5th March 2021), thepainterdoug (5th March 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast