+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Mouse Utopia": James Corbett on why we shouldn't buy into overpopulation propaganda

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,225 times in 21,087 posts

Angry "Mouse Utopia": James Corbett on why we shouldn't buy into overpopulation propaganda

Mouse Utopia The Blackest Pill - #PropagandaWatch:

Show notes & mp3: CorbettReport.com/BlackPill You've probably heard about John B. Calhoun's mouse utopia experiment by now. Everyone's been talking about it recently. But what does this experiment really tell us about the human experience, and can we avoid swallowing the poisoned black pill of the propagandists when covering this highly anti-human idea? Join James for this important exposé of the Malthusian eugenicists behind "The Great Reset".
    🌐 The-Covid-Cult
    🌐 TheGreatReset
    🌐 BillGatesTyranny
    🌐 Face-It-Not-Fake-It
    🌐 Risist-Tyranny-2020-2030
    🌐 Mass-AI-Surveillance-State
    🌐 War-on-Independent-Media
    🌐 7ConspiracyTheories-BecameReal

SHOW NOTES:
    1. John B. Calhoun Film 7.1 [edited], (NIMH, 1970-1972)
    2. Grand Theft World
    3. Grand Theft World Podcast 005 | Unmasking Dystopia
    4. John B. Calhoun’s Mouse Utopia Experiment and Reflections on the Welfare State
    5. Mouse Utopia Experiment
    6. Death Squared: The Explosive Growth and Demise of a Mouse Population
    7. Escaping the Laboratory: The Rodent Experiments of John B. Calhoun & Their Cultural Influence
    8. Letting the rat out of the bag
    9. Soylent Green – FLNWO #04
    10. Why Big Oil
    11. Meet Paul Ehrlich, Pseudoscience Charlatan
    12. What is Sustainable Development?
    • We are NOT "overpopulated" for so many reasons ... (international) mismanagement is one of them!
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 8th December 2020 at 17:12.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

East Sun (8th December 2020), Ewan (8th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (8th December 2020), The Moss Trooper (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,451 times in 32,921 posts

Default Re: "Mouse Utopia": James Corbett on why we shouldn't buy into overpopulation propaganda

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)

You've probably heard about John B. Calhoun's mouse utopia experiment by now. Everyone's been talking about it recently.
    No, I've never heard of "the mouse utopia experiment by now", and no-one I know has been "talking about it recently".

I have NO idea what the video is about, and especially now, with the overload of social media noise (some of which is important!), I'm not going to invest over three-quarters of an hour to find out.

PLEASE always make it clear to the readers what a new video is about, especially if it's a new thread. Then no-one will be wasting their time.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 8th December 2020 at 14:41.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (8th December 2020), Chris Gilbert (8th December 2020), daddy-keith (8th December 2020), Islander12 (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (8th December 2020), leavesoftrees (9th December 2020), Mike Gorman (8th December 2020), Mypos (9th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020), Yoda (8th December 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Thanks

Default Re: "Mouse Utopia": James Corbett on why we shouldn't buy into overpopulation propaganda

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

You've probably heard about John B. Calhoun's mouse utopia experiment by now. Everyone's been talking about it recently.
    No, I've never heard of "the mouse utopia experiment by now", and no-one I know has been "talking about it recently".

I have NO idea what the video is about, and especially now, with the overload of social media noise (some of which is important!), I'm not going to invest over three-quarters of an hour to find out.

PLEASE always make it clear to the readers what a new video is about, especially if it's a new thread. Then no-one will be wasting their time.

James Corbett summarizes (almost) his whole show in the ± first 5 minutes very well and written show-notes with all sources are added by default ... that is why I felt it was not necessary to add stuff made by me personally. But I do agree in some cases it HELPS other fellow researchers to do it anyway!

After watching & studying 1000s of videos last 30 years, most professional & quality "wake the fck up" videos DO make a summery what to expect in the whole show even explain why it is useful to become aware of those (new) insights.

ps. I never felt I was "wasting my time" with any James Corbett productions ever, so maybe I have a prejudiced biased stance, but will (try to) make a written summary next new thread if need be.

cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 8th December 2020 at 15:17.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (8th December 2020), Ioneo (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (9th December 2020), Libico (9th December 2020), lilac (11th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

James Corbett summarizes (almost) his whole show in the ± first 5 minutes very well and written show-notes with all sources are added by default ... that is why I felt it was not necessary to add stuff made by me personally. But I do agree in some cases it HELPS other fellow researchers to do it anyway!

After watching & studying 1000s of videos last 30 years, most professional & quality "wake the fck up" videos DO make a summery what to expect in the whole show even explain why it is useful to become aware of those (new) insights.
    ps. I never felt I was "wasting my time" with any James Corbett productions ever, so maybe I have a prejudiced biased stance, but will (try to) make a written summary next new thread if need be.

cheers,
    John
    But you've still not explained. What is "mouse utopia?"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Chris Gilbert (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (9th December 2020), leavesoftrees (9th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020), Yoda (8th December 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    Thanks

The "Mouse Utopia" Experiment

"Behavioral sink" is a term invented by Ethologist John B. Calhoun to describe a collapse in behavior which can result from overcrowding. The term and concept derive from a series of over-population experiments Calhoun conducted on Norway rats between 1958 and 1962. In the experiments, Calhoun and his researchers created a series of "rat utopias" – enclosed spaces in which rats were given unlimited access to food and water, enabling unfettered population growth. Calhoun coined the term "behavioral sink" in his February 1, 1962 report in an article titled "Population Density and Social Pathology" in Scientific American on the rat experiment. He would later perform similar experiments on mice, from 1968 to 1972.

Calhoun's work became used as an animal model of societal collapse, and his study has become a touchstone of urban sociology and psychology in general.

In the 1962 study, Calhoun described the behavior as follows:
    Many [female rats] were unable to carry pregnancy to full term or to survive delivery of their litters if they did. An even greater number, after successfully giving birth, fell short in their maternal functions. Among the males the behavior disturbances ranged from sexual deviation to cannibalism and from frenetic overactivity to a pathological withdrawal from which individuals would emerge to eat, drink and move about only when other members of the community were asleep. The social organization of the animals showed equal disruption. ...
    The common source of these disturbances became most dramatically apparent in the populations of our first series of three experiments, in which we observed the development of what we called a behavioral sink. The animals would crowd together in greatest number in one of the four interconnecting pens in which the colony was maintained. As many as 60 of the 80 rats in each experimental population would assemble in one pen during periods of feeding. Individual rats would rarely eat except in the company of other rats. As a result extreme population densities developed in the pen adopted for eating, leaving the others with sparse populations.
    ... In the experiments in which the behavioral sink developed, infant mortality ran as high as 96 percent among the most disoriented groups in the population.
    The experiments

Calhoun's early experiments with rats were carried out on farmland at Rockville, Maryland, starting in 1947. While Calhoun was working at NIMH (National Institute of Mental Health) in 1954, he began numerous experiments with rats and mice. During his first tests, he placed around 32 to 56 rodents in a 10 x 14-foot case in a barn in Montgomery County. He separated the space into four rooms. Every room was specifically created to support a dozen matured brown Norwegian rats. Rats could maneuver between the rooms by using the ramps. Since Calhoun provided unlimited resources, such as water, food, and also protection from predators as well as from disease and weather, the rats were said to be in "rat utopia" or "mouse paradise", another psychologist explained.

Following his earlier experiments with rats, Calhoun would later create his "Mortality-Inhibiting Environment for Mice" in 1972: a 101-inch square cage for mice with food and water replenished to support any increase in population, which took his experimental approach to its limits. In his most famous experiment in the series, "Universe 25", population peaked at 2,200 mice and thereafter exhibited a variety of abnormal, often destructive behaviors. By the 600th day, the population was on its way to extinction.

Applicability to humans

Controversy exists over the implications of the experiment. Psychologist Jonathan Freedman's experiment recruited high school and university students to carry out a series of experiments that measured the effects of density on behavior. He measured their stress, discomfort, aggression, competitiveness, and general unpleasantness. He declared to have found no appreciable negative effects in 1975. Researchers argued that "Calhoun's work was not simply about density in a physical sense, as number of individuals-per-square-unit-area, but was about degrees of social interaction."
    related:

The Mouse Utopia Experiments | Down the Rabbit Hole:
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 8th December 2020 at 17:22.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Ewan (8th December 2020), lilac (11th December 2020), Peace in Oz (8th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (8th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Yes, thanks! I appreciate that, though it's still a lot to scan and absorb quickly. I was about to summarize it myself, for the benefit of readers. Here's my draft:

~~~

The study of mouse behavior can (chillingly!) be used to extrapolate to possible human behavior. In an experiment done nearly 60 years ago, 2000 mice were given everything mice could possibly need or desire in a "Mouse Utopia" — except living space.

The results were catastrophic for the colony, with the result of "a tiny handful of survivors huddled in one corner of the city".

This has clear implications for an exponentially growing human population in the limited-space [potential!] utopia of this planet. See this thread:
    Edit to add:

This is very interesting, and I'll watch all the embedded videos, for sure. I've been concerned and aware of the effects of human overcrowding myself since I read Paul Ehrlich's The Population Bomb back in the 1970s.

I also changed the thread title to "Mouse Utopia": The Blackest Pill (James Corbett on the dangers of human overcrowding), which may be a little more helpful. (YouTube video titles are often not at all the best to copy and paste!)
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 8th December 2020 at 15:50.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Apofay (8th December 2020), Chris Gilbert (8th December 2020), Ewan (8th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (8th December 2020), Gwin Ru (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (8th December 2020), leavesoftrees (9th December 2020), Peace in Oz (8th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020), Yoda (8th December 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    Thanks

Yes, thanks! I appreciate that, though it's still a lot to scan and absorb quickly. I was about to summarize it myself, for the benefit of readers. Here's my draft:

~~~

The study of mouse behavior can (chillingly!) be used to extrapolate to possible human behavior. In an experiment done nearly 60 years ago, 2000 mice were given everything mice could possibly need or desire in a "Mouse Utopia" — except living space.

The results were catastrophic for the colony, with the result of "a tiny handful of survivors huddled in one corner of the city".

This has clear implications for an exponentially growing human population in the limited-space [potential!] utopia of this planet. See this thread:

To summarize any complex subject is a real skill and takes a lot of effort on top of that you have to live up to the peers that will be there if you did not do it properly ... I think that is why so many are reluctant to do it. For you Bill (being beyond average) maybe it just feels like breathing (you just do it) and assuming everybody is like that ... And you do it very well ... that is why so many people appreciate you so much.

cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 8th December 2020 at 15:49.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Apofay (8th December 2020), Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Ewan (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (8th December 2020), Peace in Oz (8th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (9th December 2020), The Moss Trooper (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    Thanks

Exclamation Re:

• Now the kicker:
    We are NOT "overpopulated" for so many reasons ... (international) mismanagement is one of them!

If humanity were not unnecessary attacked on their health on sooooooo many levels last decades (including erratic pulse microwaves) and real (revolutionary) solutions (suppressed inventions) not be criminalized, silenced or covered up.
    • Imagine a farmer crippling its livestock then "complaining" they do not walk fast enough!
    Part of humanity is destined to go to (live on) other planets thus making more space here anyway! ... How many different aliens are already interacting with us and could help us not staying on Earth? Just like a flower seeding elsewhere ... Earth can do the same but the Psychopathic Technocrats (control freaks) do everything in their power to sabotage that to keep us here (mentally, emotionally & physically) sick, compromised & enslaved on purpose to have a EXCUSE to claim we are "overpopulated".

Almost all natural solutions are dismissed by so called "international authorities" (like W.H.O.) we all being forced in to Agenda 2030 to be artificially micro-managed serving The Great (Dystopian) Reset. All who can expose their false "justifications" for their Tyranny will be dealt with via new insane (unconstitutional) laws & regulations enforced by other slaves helping the status quo.

"The end justifies the means" ... they will use ANY EXCUSE to push their tyrannical dystopian agenda and the (false perception) "overpopulation bomb" is one of them.

--o-O-o--

We live in a world where we have Hijacked Governments legalizing (protecting)
    Corporate Crimes and Criminalizing Real Solutions like:
    Do you know they can turn a Desert in to an Oases using "Super Absorbers" small pallets mixing it in the earth then use fewer than normal water to start farming?

Do you know they can now convert Seawater in to Drinking water in a cheap way?

In coming decades humans (not with help from aliens) can build 100s of (hurricane proof) giant self-sustainable floating cities and 2/3 of Earth is covered with water ... any idea how much space/room that is? If official CONTACT with Aliens are made 1000s of new ideas are possible to build new cities. I ask you again how big is 2/3 of the Earth? "Not enough space"? ... Did you know that Australia or The State Texas can manage 7 Billion people with the correct (suppressed) technology?

There are 100s of practical solutions IF we all were managed more honestly we would not have ANY problems feeding everybody. Now most farmers are punished & attacked by UN Food rules (intensives, mandates, insane food regulations etc. etc.) all to serve a Worldwide PUSH for Toxic GMO Food Agenda! (obvious part of NWO Depopulation Agenda).

We are "managed" by corrupt & insane psychopaths when it comes to food. And it is global.

cheers,
    John Kuhles aka 'ExomatrixTV'
    December 8, 2020
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 9th December 2020 at 21:53.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Ewan (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (8th December 2020), lilac (11th December 2020), Patient (8th December 2020), Peace in Oz (8th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (9th December 2020), The Moss Trooper (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,839 times in 650 posts

I'm really surprised that you hadn't heard of this experiment, given your stated interest since the 70's in the overpopulation subject. I'd put this up there with "Pavlov's Dog" as the more well-known of the social conditioning experiments.

For some reason, there has been a bit of a buzz on the wider internet over the last week or so regarding this experiment. There's been a lot of talk about it and it's implications on social media platforms, youtube, etc, etc.

Personally, I still believe there is more than enough land for us all to co-exist with one another, if only we'd use our current agricultural technology for humankind's benefit, instead of the (monetary) benefit of the few.
    Last edited by The Moss Trooper; 8th December 2020 at 17:04.
    May your Spirit stay unbroken, may you not be deterred.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Deux Corbeaux (9th December 2020), Ewan (8th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (9th December 2020), leavesoftrees (9th December 2020), Peace in Oz (8th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (8th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (9th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,306 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re:

What is "mouse utopia?"
    UPDATE: Sorry for the repetition. It took a while to find the info and then format this post. I wasn't aware of the additional posts.

Mouse Utopia Experiment (8 min)

1,303,530 views since May 16, 2009. There’s only 533 subscribers to the channel.

What Humans Can Learn From Calhoun's Rodent Utopia?
    Between 1968 and 1970, American ethologist John B. Calhoun (1917-1995) conducted a behavioral study of captive mice within a nine-square-foot enclosure at a rural facility in Poolesville, Maryland. Within the enclosure known as Universe 25, several pairs of mice bred a population, which ultimately swelled to 2,200. Eventually, they established social orders that created inside and outside factions, and soon mating ceased altogether.

The study confirmed his grim hypothesis, based on earlier studies of the Norway rat in small settings. In his theory he suggested that overpopulation spawns a breakdown in social functions. That, in turn, inevitably leads to extinction.

Though wildly controversial when first made public, Calhoun's theory has raised concern over the years that the social breakdown of Universe 25 could ultimately serve as a metaphor for the trajectory of the human race. Consequently, the “rodent utopia project” has been a subject of interest among architects, city planning councils and government agencies around the world.
    Early Rodent Studies

Calhoun began his experimental research on rodents in 1947, when he studied an enclosed group of Norway rats at a barn in Rockville, Maryland. Supplying the critters with unlimited food and water, he expected to see their population swell to 5,000 over the course of the 28-month experiment. However, the population capped out at 200 after subdividing into smaller groups, each of which comprised merely a dozen individuals.

Continuing with these studies during the 1950s, Calhoun set up a more complex enclosure to examine how further groups of rodents would behave in a sterilized, predator-free environment. Over the course of these experiments, the same sequence of events would transpire each time:

The mice would meet, mate and breed in large quantities. Eventually a leveling-off would occur.
After that, the rodents would develop either hostile and cliquish or passive and anti-social behaviors.
The population would trail off to extinction.

In 1962, Scientific American published Calhoun's observations from his research in the article "Population Density and Social Pathology," wherein he coined the phrase "behavior sink" to describe the results of overcrowding — namely the breakdown of social functions and the collapse of populations — in the enclosed rodent environment. Hitting the public just as vast urban expansion saw growing numbers of college grads flocking to big cities for work opportunities, many viewed the article as a warning of what could happen to the human race if populations continued to rise at their current rate.

Universe 25: Calhoun's Experiment with a Rodent Utopia

Expanding on his earlier studies, Calhoun devised his ultimate research experiment. In Universe 25, a population of mice would grow within a 2.7- square-meter enclosure consisting of four pens, 256 living compartments and 16 burrows that led to food and water supplies.

With a plague-free environment, a plenitude of comforts, a lack of predation and an unlimited supply of consumables, the mice would enjoy all the luxuries equivalent to modern human life. Calhoun initiated the experiment with four pairs of healthy mice, which were set loose into the enclosure to begin the new society.

During the first 104 days — a phase Calhoun dubbed the "strive period" — the mice adjusted to their new surroundings, marked their territory and began nesting. This was followed by the "exploit period," which saw the population double every 55 days. By the 315th day, Universe 25 contained 620 mice.

Despite the abundance of space throughout the enclosure — each compartment could house up to 15 individuals, and the overall enclosure was built for a capacity of 3,000 — most mice were crowding select areas and eating from the same food sources. The act of eating, as it turned out, came to be viewed as a communal activity, which caused most of the mice to favor the same few compartments.

All of this huddling, however, led to a drop in mating, and the birthrate soon fell to a third of its former level. A social imbalance also took place among the mice:

One-third emerged as socially dominant.
The other two-thirds turned out less socially adept than their forbearers.
As bonding skills diminished among the mice, Universe 25 went into a slow but irreversible decline.

Social Status in Universe 25

By Day 315, behavior disparities between males of high and low status became more pronounced. Those at the bottom of the pecking order
    found themselves spurned from females and withdrew from mating altogether. Having no roles to fulfill within the society of mice, these outcast males wandered apart from the larger groups to eat and sleep alone — and sometimes fight among one another.

The alpha males, by contrast, became more aggressive and pugnacious, often launching into violence with no clear provocation or motive. At times, these males would roam around and indiscriminately rape other mice, regardless of gender. Meanwhile, the beta males — those ranked between the aggressive alphas and outcast omegas — grew timid and inert, and often wound up being the passive recipients of violence. In several instances, bloodbaths ended with a cannibalistic feast for the victors.
    With male mice abandoning their traditional roles in Universe 25, the females were left to fend for their nests. Consequently, many females adopted more aggressive forms of behavior, which would sometimes spill over into violence toward their young. Others would refrain from motherly duties altogether, banishing their unraised litters and withdrawing from further mating, resulting in serious consequences:

In some compartments, the infant mortality rate topped 90 percent. Calhoun named this the "stagnation phase," alternately known as the "equilibrium period.”

He attributed the overly aggressive and passive behavioral patterns to the breakdown of social roles and rampant over-clustering.

A Spike in the Mortality Rate

By the 560th day, the population increase had ceased altogether as the mortality rate hovered at 100 percent. This marked the start of the "death phase" — aka the "die period" — in which the rodent utopia slid toward extinction. Amidst the violence, hostility and lack of mating, a younger generation of mice reached maturity, having never been exposed to examples of normal, healthy relations. With no concept of mating, parenting or marking territory, this generation of mice spent all of their waking hours eating, drinking and grooming themselves.

In reference to their perfected, unruffled appearances, Calhoun called these mice the "beautiful ones." Living in seclusion from the other mice, they were spared the violence and conflict that waged in the crowded areas, yet made no social contributions.

According to Calhoun, the death phase consisted of two stages: the "first death" and "second death." The former was characterized by the loss of purpose in life beyond mere existence — no desire to mate, raise young or establish a role within society. This first death was represented by the lackadaisical lives of the beautiful ones, whereas the second death was marked by the literal end of life and the extinction of Universe 25.

The Sun Sets on Universe 25

Extending on his observations of the beautiful ones, Calhoun later opined that mice, as humans, thrive on a sense of identity and purpose within the world at large. He argued experiences such as tension, stress, anxiety and the need to survive make it necessary to engage in society.

When all needs are accounted for, and no conflict exists, the act of living is stripped to its barest physiological essentials of food and sleep. In Calhoun's view:
    • Herein is the paradox of a life without work or conflict.

• When all sense of necessity is stripped from the life of an individual, life ceases to have purpose.

• The individual dies in spirit.
    Gradually, the mice that refused to mate or engage in society came to outnumber those that formed gangs, raped and plundered, and fed off their own. The last known conception in Universe 25 occurred on Day 920, at which point the population was capped at 2,200, well short of the enclosure's 3,000 capacity.

An endless supply of food, water and other resources were still there for the mice, but it didn't matter. The behavior sink had set in, and there was no stopping Universe 25 from careening to its self-made demise. Soon enough, there was not a single living mouse left in the enclosure..

Failed Salvage Attempt and Concluding Observations

Before the rodent utopia imploded entirely, Calhoun removed some of the beautiful ones to see whether they would live more productive lives if released into a new society, free of social strife and carnage. Placing these mice in a fresh setting with few pre-existing residents — a scenario similar to that which greeted the initial pairs placed in Universe 25 — he expected the beautiful ones to awake from their asocial haze and answer nature's call to populate the barren environment.

However, the relocated mice showed no signs of change from their earlier behavioral patterns. Refusing to mate or even interact among their new peers, the reclusive mice eventually died of natural causes, and the fledgling society folded without a single new birth.

In Calhoun's view, the rise and fall of Universe 25 proved five basic points about mice, as well as humans:
    • The mouse is a simple creature, but it must develop the skills for courtship, child-rearing, territorial defense and personal role fulfillment on the domestic and communal front. If such skills fail to develop, the individual will neither reproduce nor find a productive role within society. 

• As with mice, all species will grow older and gradually die out. There is nothing to suggest human society isn't prone to the same developments that led to the demise of Universe 25.
    • If the number of qualified individuals exceeds the number of openings in society, chaos and alienation will be the inevitable outcomes. 

• Individuals raised under thel atter conditions will lack any relation to the real world. Physiological fulfillment will be their only drive in life. 

• Just as mice thrive on a set of complex behaviors, the concern for others developed in post-industrial human skills and understandings is vital to man's continuance as a species. The loss of these attributes within a civilization could lead to its collapse.

Calhoun’s Work After Universe 25

In 1972, Calhoun shared his observations about the results of the rodent utopia in an essay titled "Death Squared: The Explosive Growth and Demise of a Mouse Population." This work gained instant notoriety for its grim outlook on the consequences of an overpopulated and overly satiated society.

Given all the strife that had been impacting the world in the years immediately before — Vietnam, race riots, political assassinations, the Cold War, China's Cultural Revolution — the public was fearful Calhoun's findings were indicative of mankind's then-present course. The examples of rodent pillage and carnage in the wake of overcrowding seemed to mirror the social unrest of '60s and '70s human society, which coincided with unprecedented urban sprawl.

Despite the grim parables presented in Calhoun's observations, he wasn't trying to imply humankind was headed down a similar path toward extinction. While he definitely saw parallels between the downfall of Universe 25 and some of society's ills, he stressed humans — as a more sophisticated species — had the wisdom and ingenuity to reverse such trends.

After all, humans have science, technology and medicine, all of which give mankind the ability to:
    • Pinpoint causation

• Avert disasters
    • 
Heal wounds and illness
    • Explore new environments

He also pointed out Universe 25 was not a natural habitat, as it was supplied with an abundance of food and luxuries and kept free of predators and disease.

Hope for Humankind?

Still, Calhoun feared mankind could lurch toward a similar doom if cities became overcrowded and the population swelled beyond the capacity of the job market. To help society find ways to prevent this from ever happening, he spent part of his later career exploring different forms of human advancement, which he extended to the concept of space colonization.

To that end, he formed an academic team called the Space Cadets. Its purpose was to promote the idea of humans setting up colonies on other planets.

Calhoun also focused on city planning, which he felt was key to avoiding the behavior sink of Universe 25. He believed the design of cities was partially responsible for the ways in which inhabitants interacted with each other and steps should be taken in tandem with development to maintain positive communication between people.

As part of his effort to promote alternative concepts of city design, he tinkered with the rodent utopia model with more than 100 further Universes over the next two decades. His work in this area was highly esteemed among city planning councils in the United States and abroad.

Legacy and Questions in the 21st Century

More than four decades have passed since Calhoun conducted his Universe 25 experiment. Nonetheless, questions linger regarding the observations he drew from the rodent utopia's collapse. Most pressing is the question of human population, which globally could top 9.6 billion by 2050 if we stay on our current course. The population trend arouses numerous concerns:
    • Will mankind continue to thrive if the population exceeds the number of available jobs? What about disruptive technology, whereby a new product or innovation renders whole fields obsolete, or a task that once required multiple hands can now be completed with the press of a button?
    • If most jobs are outmoded by technology, what will sustain the economy? Will large cross-sections of the population become destitute, or will the billionaire class support everyone?
    • 
How will people function and interact with one another in a world where hardly anyone works? Can an individual develop interpersonal skills when there's no need to pursue working relationships in the outside world?

At the very least, mice and men seem rather similar when Calhoun's research is compared with modern-day civilization.

article
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 8th December 2020 at 21:50.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Ewan (8th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (9th December 2020), Peace in Oz (8th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), The Moss Trooper (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

Default Re:

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 19:35.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2020), Ewan (10th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (8th December 2020), Peace in Oz (8th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (8th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (9th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

I also changed the thread title to "Mouse Utopia": The Blackest Pill (James Corbett on the dangers of human overcrowding), which may be a little more helpful. (YouTube video titles are often not at all the best to copy and paste!)
    I changed the title prematurely, after I'd watched James Corbett's intro but before I'd gone very far into his video.

I clearly got the title all wrong... I couldn't believe Corbett wasn't going to cite the 1960s study as a demonstration that overcrowding can lead to societal breakdown. (Ultimately overpopulation, as well: the planet is a limited space, too.)

Instead, he trashed the idea, pleading with his viewers not to buy into the propaganda that there's a human population problem. I've now changed the title again to "Mouse Utopia": James Corbett on why we shouldn't buy into overpopulation propaganda. I wrote more about his presentation on The Depopulation Plan thread:

James Corbett's sarcasm sometimes borders on being unpleasant to listen to, and his video is heavily pointed and emotionally-persuasive — in itself a mark of propaganda. (Though Corbett would say it's positive propaganda, and he clearly cares deeply about the issue, imploring his followers not to buy into what he argues is hype.)

It's not all that easy for most people to differentiate between the the facts he claims to report, and the way in which he presents his thesis.

Overpopulation is a problem. It's so obvious. But as with David Icke's famous (and correct) Problem-Reaction-Solution thesis, the solutions we're presented with (whether we know they're being deployed or not) may not be the best ones, and may not be in our best interests. (English understatements intended. ).

I don't trust the global controllers one tiny bit. Not for a second. But — overpopulation is still a problem. Just because the proposed solutions are unacceptable, that doesn't mean there's not an issue.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 8th December 2020 at 21:46.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (8th December 2020), Chris Gilbert (9th December 2020), Ewan (10th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (8th December 2020), kfm27917 (9th December 2020), Reinhard (8th December 2020), RunningDeer (8th December 2020), Tintin (8th December 2020), Yoda (9th December 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 times in 463 posts

In this video from 1:00:00 onwards Bruce Lipton maintains we need 7 billion people and more to leap to the next level of evolution. Our fear of overpopulation stems from the Darwinian emphasis on competition rather than cooperation

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Constance (10th December 2020), Ewan (10th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (9th December 2020), George (9th December 2020), kfm27917 (9th December 2020), Michi (9th December 2020), RunningDeer (9th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (10th December 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,052 times in 2,398 posts

I think a potential key point here, in the debate regarding 'are we or are we not' overpopulated, is connected to the scarity mindset.

I suspect as long as people believe in scarcity there will be a drive from some folk to de-populate the planet. Conversely, should our mindset change to a better realisation of how we can live more harmoniously and without friction or fear, overpopulation would probably cease to be an issue due to a flattening of the curve.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Constance (10th December 2020), ExomatrixTV (11th December 2020), RunningDeer (10th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (10th December 2020)

+ Reply to Thread