+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All Red Dragonfly .......

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member DeeMetrios's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 times in 229 posts

Default All Red Dragonfly .......

Hello ...
    I had a special encounter about an hour ago .
    Its been quite hot & humid today in Sydney & i went out onto the patio for a bit of outside air & a blast of heat n sunshine .
    Well moments after being their i noticed a Red Dragonfly , it fluttered its wings a bit &i thought it was going to fly away , but i was amazed at its colour ! ...completely red .
    I thought wow what an event , i said hello to it & it turned on the stalk it was perched on & faced me , i was standing up about 3 feet from him .
    I spent a few minutes in its presence before it jetted away .
    Nothing metaphysical occured , but the thought that something special happened did cross my mind , along with an urge for me to google & learn about the "all red dragonfly" .
    Well to my surprise i found out they are "rare" & are not supposed to be on this continent .

From Google ...

The Red Dragonfly, also known as Red-Veined Darter or Nomad is technically known as Sympetrum Fonscolombii, and belongs to the Sympetrum genus. It is widespread in the southern parts of Europe, and since 1990s, it has also become a common species in the northwestern part of Europe including Ireland and Britain.

The Japanese consider red dragonflies to be “very sacred,” offering a symbol of courage, strength and happiness. American Indians believe red dragonflies can “bring a time of rejuvenation after a long period of trials and hardship.”

Cheers

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to DeeMetrios For This Post:

Ami (17th December 2020), daddy-keith (17th December 2020), Did You See Them (17th December 2020), EFO (17th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (17th December 2020), Eva2 (17th December 2020), Ewan (17th December 2020), Harmony (17th December 2020), Ioneo (17th December 2020), Journeyman (17th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (17th December 2020), Peace in Oz (17th December 2020), pueblo (17th December 2020), rgray222 (18th December 2020), Sadieblue (18th December 2020), selinam (17th December 2020), Stephanie (17th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (17th December 2020), Sunny-side-up (17th December 2020), thepainterdoug (17th December 2020), toppy (17th December 2020), wondering (17th December 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Default Re: All Red Dragonfly .......

love the story and love dragonflies when my mom was dying i sat outside the nursing facility and a beautiful green dragonfly landed right in my cup of coffee. the coffee was just warm and almost finished. it just sat there and then i put my finger for it to climb on. it sat afew seconds and flew of. it was my mom

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

DeeMetrios (17th December 2020), Did You See Them (17th December 2020), Eva2 (17th December 2020), Harmony (17th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (17th December 2020), Peace in Oz (17th December 2020), pueblo (17th December 2020), rgray222 (18th December 2020), Sadieblue (18th December 2020), selinam (17th December 2020), Stephanie (17th December 2020), Sunny-side-up (17th December 2020), toppy (17th December 2020), wondering (17th December 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,235 times in 2,174 posts

I saw one for the first time this summer by the river, my daughter spotted it first. The intense red colour is spectacular.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

DeeMetrios (17th December 2020), Did You See Them (17th December 2020), EFO (17th December 2020), Eva2 (17th December 2020), Harmony (17th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (17th December 2020), Peace in Oz (17th December 2020), Sadieblue (18th December 2020), selinam (17th December 2020), Stephanie (17th December 2020), Sunny-side-up (17th December 2020), thepainterdoug (17th December 2020), toppy (17th December 2020), wondering (17th December 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

I have a strange Dragonfly story !

About 15 years ago I worked in an office that backed onto the Mersey water front in Liverpool near Brunswick dock.
    It was a sunny day (I cannot now remember what time of year, spring or summer I guess ? ) and I had stepped outside into the carpark opposite the quay to have a cigarette.
    As I stood there I glanced to my right and about a hundred foot away I could see what I thought was a largish bird hovering at the back door area of a business a few doors down.
    I was trying to figure out what kind of bird it was that could hover like that and could only think of a humming bird which would be ridiculous in the area, plus it was bigger than I know UK humming to be .
    As I watched, it came towards me, about 6 feet off the ground and parallel to the buildings back wall that I was leaning against smoking.
    It passed in front of my eyes about 6 feet in front of me. I got a real good look at it.
    This is where it gets strange.
    The dragonfly fly had a wing span of about 12-14 inches with a body so thick that it reminded my of my electric toothbrush. The sound it made beating its wings was incredible, as were the colours !

I was so stunned I couldn't stop thinking about it that afternoon.
    I decided that perhaps some foreign species had come in on one of the proverbial "banana boats" in to the Liverpool docks.
    I thought I better inform someone and after a search online (the internet was pretty new to me then as well !) I reported it to environmental health by phone and got a typically bureaucratic receptionist who would pass the details on to the relevant department.
    I then came upon some sort of Naturalists dragonfly sub forum, joined it and reported it there to try and find out what species it was and where it could have come from.

It was like reporting a ufo !

Under "no circumstances" do dragonflies of that size exist today. "NO WAY" . I was "WRONG". I was MAKING IT UP" - I could not believe the reaction I received.
    I was informed that Dragonflies of that size belong in the Jurassic period and to go away !
    I did.
    Their loss.
    To this day I wonder what species it was and were it really came from.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

DeeMetrios (17th December 2020), EFO (17th December 2020), Eva2 (17th December 2020), Harmony (17th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (17th December 2020), pueblo (17th December 2020), rgray222 (18th December 2020), Sadieblue (18th December 2020), selinam (17th December 2020), Stephanie (17th December 2020), thepainterdoug (17th December 2020), wondering (17th December 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Trinidad Tobago Avalon Member daddy-keith's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeeMetrios (here)
    Hello ...
    I had a special encounter about an hour ago .
    Its been quite hot & humid today in Sydney & i went out onto the patio for a bit of outside air & a blast of heat n sunshine .
    Well moments after being their i noticed a Red Dragonfly , it fluttered its wings a bit &i thought it was going to fly away , but i was amazed at its colour ! ...completely red .
    I thought wow what an event , i said hello to it & it turned on the stalk it was perched on & faced me , i was standing up about 3 feet from him .
    I spent a few minutes in its presence before it jetted away .
    Nothing metaphysical occured , but the thought that something special happened did cross my mind , along with an urge for me to google & learn about the "all red dragonfly" .
    Well to my surprise i found out they are "rare" & are not supposed to be on this continent .

From Google ...

The Red Dragonfly, also known as Red-Veined Darter or Nomad is technically known as Sympetrum Fonscolombii, and belongs to the Sympetrum genus. It is widespread in the southern parts of Europe, and since 1990s, it has also become a common species in the northwestern part of Europe including Ireland and Britain.

The Japanese consider red dragonflies to be “very sacred,” offering a symbol of courage, strength and happiness. American Indians believe red dragonflies can “bring a time of rejuvenation after a long period of trials and hardship.”

Cheers
    Lovely post. Reminded me of the movie "Dragonfly". Very uplifting. Its about a doctor whose wife died and who kept seeing dragonflies. I'm not going to spoil the ending but it's a movie that everyone should see.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daddy-keith For This Post:

DeeMetrios (18th December 2020), Did You See Them (17th December 2020), EFO (17th December 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (17th December 2020), rgray222 (18th December 2020), selinam (17th December 2020)

+ Reply to Thread