+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Vague Vs The Specific

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,585 times in 5,714 posts

Default The Vague Vs The Specific

It's obvious, but as I was posting on another thread here today I was thinking about how vague and muddy most alt community topics are. Words and topics that hold little to no objective value ultimately blend into one homogeneous blur of indistinguishable parts. And what we often get is a soupy hodgepodge offering nothing but escapism.

Everyone says they're an intuitive these days. It means nothing. Ditto "empath". Combine the two ("intuitive empath") and you haven't so much as built on meaning but subtracted from it.

Milab. This is another label applied to alt figures desperate for validity of some sort. The experience itself is often explained in dreamy, murky terms. In fact, there isn't much distinguishing it from a dream in most cases. It seems everyone has been one but no one can explain it clearly or offer even the slightest shred of evidence that they may have been one. It's a useless term.

psychic. Ask yourself this honestly: have you ever really been blown away by a reading? Have you ever received guidance that offered any kind of utility whatsoever? There are thousands of psychics out there nowadays, with very little distinguishing one from the other. The info offered is nearly always vague, muddy, sensational, and tailored to stroke the ego of the recipient i.e. "you were an enlightened being from Andromeda in your last life!"

Healer. Show me one documented case where an "energy worker" or a "healer" actually healed someone. Just one.

The alternative community is often associated with unbalanced people because - staying with the metaphor here - there is very little firm ground to stand on. We often talk about discernment, but how can one discern anything from a muddy soup of information that is essentially unfalsifiable?

So, what we see is a community of people attempting to escape reality, not engage it. I've come to the conclusion that many people in the world today don't want facts. The facts would force them to engage what they're so desperately trying to escape. And they will cling to whatever ideology or elaborate belief system they've constructed to avoid reality like a heroin addict might cling to their stash - for dear life. Here, in the alt community, that comes in the form of intergalactic saviors, psychics, astrologers, intuitive empaths, healers, etc. Most of it makes very little sense, but it's an escape and that's all that matters.

A specific life is one that involves a schedule, clear goals, a clean diet, exercise, personal responsibility, and non-negotiable values. It is so relentlessly clear and lucid in it's intentions that you cannot hide from it in foggy delusions. It values logic, common sense, and basic science. It leaves room for the fantastical but not at the expense of its fundamental structure. But it's not as sexy, and it takes work, and it forces one to be responsible for one's decisions.

This is where our lives should be rooted in my opinion. Like most things these days, everything is upside down, or inverted. Our priorities are backwards. Look I love the supernatural. I love getting lost in a good cryptid story. In the abstract, I'm intrigued with psychic abilities and things like energy healing. Milab testimonies can be highly entertaining. Ayahuasca sounds like something I might wanna do at some point. But those should be adjuncts to a simpler, more fundamental life in my view. I was reading Gemma's thread today, ( https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...siness-Partner) and I can't believe people are still not only following people like Goode and Wilcock, but dedicating their lives to the messages being offered. It is simply unfathomable to me.
    Last edited by Mike; 19th December 2020 at 20:37.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2020), Baby Steps (20th December 2020), Bill Ryan (19th December 2020), Brigantia (20th December 2020), Constance (19th December 2020), Ewan (19th December 2020), Franny (19th December 2020), Gemma13 (20th December 2020), Gracy (19th December 2020), Hym (19th December 2020), Jayke (19th December 2020), loungelizard (20th December 2020), meeradas (20th December 2020), Metaphor (19th December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (20th December 2020), Tintin (20th December 2020), toppy (20th December 2020), william r sanford72 (20th December 2020), Wind (20th December 2020), wondering (19th December 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,054 times in 2,398 posts

Default Re: The Vague Vs The Specific

I feel your entire post is a little vague, could you be a bit more specific?

Seriously? Spot on.

The isolated shepherd on the Isle of Mull can have a more specific life than someone who spends a life dedicated to good causes.

In regards to your last point, the followers of the likes of Goode etc., peoples lives are empty of meaning most of the time, 90+% of people would admit to searching for something if the question was couched in the right way for their particular mindset.

Reject religion, embrace spoof science. Grow weary of one path, grab hold of another.

Everything is outside of them, they never stop to explore in the other direction. It's similar to the ancient maps, there is an area of comprehension, or, understanding*, that people fear to approach.... "Here be Dragons".

*understanding can be read as foundation, most are built on sand and there is an inevitable shift coming whether they like it or not.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Baby Steps (20th December 2020), Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Brigantia (20th December 2020), Constance (19th December 2020), Franny (19th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), Mike (19th December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (20th December 2020), Tintin (20th December 2020), toppy (20th December 2020), william r sanford72 (20th December 2020), wondering (19th December 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 19:17.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Brigantia (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Hym (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), Mike (20th December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (20th December 2020), Tintin (20th December 2020), toppy (20th December 2020), william r sanford72 (20th December 2020), wondering (20th December 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

I love the conditions of unconditional sharing. Thanks for that.

I think that's excellent as a discernment tool. It allows for clarity and structure and coherence. It prioritizes the appropriate info and emphasizes the rational and the logical. I know the words rational and logical sound clinical and cold, but I think if we truly understood all the secrets of the universe, even the most magical of events would reveal themselves to be both rational and logical.

Richard Dolan often uses the term falsiable when determining whether info is worth his time or not. The conditions of unconditional sharing takes it a little further.

All info coming in should be arranged according to priority and falsifiability. It's the only way to achieve order and productivity and coherence.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Brigantia (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), Tintin (20th December 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 19:17.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Brigantia (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), Mike (20th December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), Tintin (20th December 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 times in 1,617 posts

The vague vs specific is a well known meta-program in the world of NLP.

There’s an interesting theory from the evolutionary psychology perspective, the kind of theory you’d expect to hear from Jordan Peterson, that explains how these opposing strategies tend to manifest in peoples psychology.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What Are r And K
    This site asks for your help in promoting the idea that our political ideologies evolved from r/K Selection Theory in evolutionary ecology.

In evolutionary ecology, r and K describe two fundamental psychologies seen in nature, designed to adapt an organism to either a glut or a shortage.

Rabbits are r-strategists, designed to exploit free resources, like fields of grass. The five psychological traits inherent to the r-strategy are docility/conflict-avoidance, promiscuity/non-monogamy, single-mom'ing, early sexualization of young, and no loyalty to a competitive in-group. All help this glut-exploiting psychology to out-reproduce everyone else by avoiding danger, mating widely starting young, booting offspring early to mate again, and never risking for others .

Wolves are K-strategists, designed for when resources are too limited for everyone to survive. The five traits of a K-strategist are competitiveness/ aggressiveness/protectiveness, competitive mate monopolization/ monogamy, high-investment two-parent rearing, only mating when mature, and high loyalty to one's competitive in-group. All these traits either help you win when you have to fight, or produce and protect fitter offspring, so they will win in a dangerous world that culls the weak.

Our political battle is one between a glut-exploiting r-reproductive strategy of rabbits designed to produce raw numbers and a shortage-surviving K-reproductive strategy of wolves designed to produce quality. The swings between conservatism and liberalism at the societal level are not the result of logical argument or reasoned debate. They are the result of psychological shifts produced by perceptions of K-stimuli in the environment such as conflict, danger, and shortage, or r-stimuli, such as safety, pleasure, and abundance. These perceptions trigger ancient mechanisms in the brain that adapt psychology to environment. All of politics and much of history are r vs K.

Please consider helping to spread this theory by telling others about this site. As you can see by the shocked 5 star reviews on the book's Amazon page linked above, this idea, and the science behind it, blows people away when they see it. And best of all, it will utterly demoralize and crush any leftist you describe it to, in unbelievable fashion. This idea's beneficial effects on our governance and our freedom cannot be overestimated, if it can only spread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Brigantia (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Mike (20th December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,419 times in 648 posts

It is most important to me that we take a holistic approach to all matters, spiritual as well as concering this material dimension. Holistic means the whole-brained method and not just right- or left-brained thinking separately.

This means you can and should be skeptical about all, but with an open mind. Make your own choices then. As the Buddha supposedly said: Take what makes sense to you and leave the rest.

E.g. I never 'believe' any psychic channeller. Never. I repect those who want to but I don't.

I want to make the experiences on my own and critically examine them and then form my own opinion or world view (if I manage to do this at all). Sometimes I am also highly critical of my own experiences too. So I judge others or other sources by the same standard as I judge myself as consciousness as a source.

More specific to the OP: I admit I never heard of 'Milab' and would have to look up what it is. Maybe I was living under a rock all the time but it really does not tell me anything. Too lazy now but will do later or s.o. can explain it here to me.

Disagree with the energy healing / alternative treatments statement. Depends again on what you consider 'documented, but I think there are lots of 'reported' cases and also seen over the years a quite a few studies (normally none are done officially but they exist) on alternative treatments, even in clinical settings (this includes energy healing modalities such as Reiki, etc.). So I think it does help heal people.

Last not least I want to say that everything is subjective. Really almost everyhting. Even the most forward materialistic and reductionist science is. So our own consciousness and the internal setting we have do play a role when we compare, weigh and evaluate 'information' sources of different kinds, be it official mainstream science or channelled 'stuff' or everything within this wide spectrum.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Brigantia (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), Mike (20th December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), wondering (20th December 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,535 times in 32,931 posts

Another aspect of this is the exaggerated use of plurals. Alex Jones does this a LOT, and it can sometimes be misleading. It means that accurate reporting becomes diluted and undermined.

A topical example: "Nurses fainting on live TV after receiving the Covid vaccine."

Nope, there was one. Not two or more.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (20th December 2020), Brigantia (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), Mike (20th December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), william r sanford72 (20th December 2020), wondering (20th December 2020), Yoda (20th December 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,382 times in 5,726 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Our priorities are backwards.
    I am shamelessly taking one statement out of context.

IMO RIGHT NOW, our priorities should be finding some specific practice(s) that will enhance, enlarge, enable, encourage, envelope and endow each of us SPECIFICALLY with the power that we VAGUELY call god. Here is an example....

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

anandacate (20th December 2020), Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), Mike (20th December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), wondering (20th December 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Another aspect of this is the exaggerated use of plurals. Alex Jones does this a LOT, and it can sometimes be misleading. It means that accurate reporting becomes diluted and undermined.

A topical example: "Nurses fainting on live TV after receiving the Covid vaccine."

Nope, there was one. Not two or more.

Yes! I see this all the time. It's aggravating. I'm guilty of this as well. I'm working on it

It's strange because I woke up this morning thinking about being precise with one's speech, and the importance of that. It's a lost art. Exaggerating has become so passe that it has morphed into something of a plague. It's terrible for information exchange and clarity and specificity. Instead of specific pin points of information we get these much less useful bloated circles of vaguery
    Last edited by Mike; 20th December 2020 at 18:08.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Ewan (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020), Reinhard (20th December 2020), william r sanford72 (20th December 2020), wondering (20th December 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Delight I couldn't agree more. And of course I'm pleased you posted that Peterson video. I'm a big fan as most of you know. For all those who are tired of me mentioning him, you have Herve to thank for that LOL. I would have never heard of the man unless he'd started a thread on him a while back

But yes, a specific practice is vital in orienting oneself towards God, or the Logos, or whatever one wishes to call it.

For the longest time in my spiritual quest I was hesitant to begin, because with so many options I was confused as to where the right place to begin was. But despite my honest confusion, I think it was my egos way of waffling.

I finally figured out that it was more important to begin somewhere than to do nothing. Just pick a place and begin, would be my advice. And Wim is a great place to start. There's no waiting for Gadot here; life is short. We're going to get it wrong the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd time maybe. If one is totally lost, just pick something and start. Any practice is better than no practice.
    Last edited by Mike; 20th December 2020 at 18:55.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Delight (21st December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), wondering (20th December 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Open Minded Dude (here)
    It is most important to me that we take a holistic approach to all matters, spiritual as well as concering this material dimension. Holistic means the whole-brained method and not just right- or left-brained thinking separately.

This means you can and should be skeptical about all, but with an open mind. Make your own choices then. As the Buddha supposedly said: Take what makes sense to you and leave the rest.

E.g. I never 'believe' any psychic channeller. Never. I repect those who want to but I don't.

I want to make the experiences on my own and critically examine them and then form my own opinion or world view (if I manage to do this at all). Sometimes I am also highly critical of my own experiences too. So I judge others or other sources by the same standard as I judge myself as consciousness as a source.

More specific to the OP: I admit I never heard of 'Milab' and would have to look up what it is. Maybe I was living under a rock all the time but it really does not tell me anything. Too lazy now but will do later or s.o. can explain it here to me.

Disagree with the energy healing / alternative treatments statement. Depends again on what you consider 'documented, but I think there are lots of 'reported' cases and also seen over the years a quite a few studies (normally none are done officially but they exist) on alternative treatments, even in clinical settings (this includes energy healing modalities such as Reiki, etc.). So I think it does help heal people.

Last not least I want to say that everything is subjective. Really almost everyhting. Even the most forward materialistic and reductionist science is. So our own consciousness and the internal setting we have do play a role when we compare, weigh and evaluate 'information' sources of different kinds, be it official mainstream science or channelled 'stuff' or everything within this wide spectrum.

I think milabs do exist! And I think there are some genuine psychics out there. But the information regarding them and other esoteric phenomena has been so diluted by charlatans and vaguery that extracting any value or understanding is very very difficult. It corrupts information exchange and knowledge to the point of uselessness sometimes. And I often wonder if there's someone or someones behind the curtain behind all this rot...trying to normalize the irrational.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), wondering (20th December 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Quote A specific life is one that involves a schedule, clear goals, a clean diet, exercise, personal responsibility, and non-negotiable values. It is so relentlessly clear and lucid in it's intentions that you cannot hide from it in foggy delusions. It values logic, common sense, and basic science. It leaves room for the fantastical but not at the expense of its fundamental structure. But it's not as sexy, and it takes work, and it forces one to be responsible for one's decisions.

I remember clearly when I was told I had to decide what I wanted to be for the rest of my life - at age fifteen, maybe sixteen.

I remember that strange feeling I always get when adults would ask what to me was the most crzy things, and introduce ideas that made no sense to me. Like favorites. What is my favorite color, food, car, etc. To me this made no sense and I had to use logic to make my choices in these trivial matters. I like all colors, all foods. And I care not a whit about cars in terms of favorites. Why would I? It's a car, a phone, a TV show. I don't pick favorites in things that don't matter.

So when I was told it was time to pick what I would do for the rest of my life I was again confused. And when I asked for clarity I was told it was best to pick something I love since I'd be doing it a whole lot - and for money to boot.

But since from an early age I had learned to never trust anyone at face value and that my opinion was just as likely to be right as anyone else's (what I forgot to consider was that I was just as likely to be wrong too), I decided based on different criteria...my own.

My first thought was the last thing I want to do is sully the things I love to do by selling it for profit. So woodworking, astronomy, art, and writing were out because I love those things. And everything else seemed way to boring to do forever. So I decided I'd have to give up one of the things I loved. After much deliberation I chose writing. It took me weeks to consider this. And I was not happy to have to give up one of the things I love to the world for survival.

But when I gave my decision I was told that writers don't make money so pick something else. Right there, I gave up on this world. I decided if I could not even give up the one thing I love because it was not worth anything in this world then what was the point in anything at all.

In the ensuing years I went through the motions but my heart wasn't in it anymore. I did not want to be an engineer like my father but I felt I had no choice in the matter. I don't do well when I feel coerced, and forced to go against my nature. But my nature is not supported by this system, as so many others learn the hard way as well.

I've had such a hard time fitting in this world that it has cost me everything, including my potential.

That is why I maintain that this is my first trip to this reality. It is all alien to me.

And I have never held a schedule, kept to a budget, or defined any clear goals in life. I have drifted through life falling through the cracks.
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 20th December 2020 at 19:51.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Constance (20th December 2020), Jayke (20th December 2020), william r sanford72 (20th December 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 19:18.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2020), Mike (21st December 2020), Peace in Oz (21st December 2020)

+ Reply to Thread