+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Evaluating The New Age Rationally

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,303 times in 5,692 posts

Default Evaluating The New Age Rationally

What is the New Age? Not easy to define but one might call it a loosely based spiritual system that emphasizes things like astrology, tarot, reincarnation, ET's, psychics, and so on.

It might be easier to say that the New Age is repackaged religion - which is to say, if we were to give it the benefit of the doubt on all counts, its goals would be the spiritual reawakening and advancement of its adherents and a means to achieve such a thing. If we were to offer skepticism on all counts, its main goals would be money and power.

So which is it? And how should we judge New Age personalities and concepts?

It can all get a little murky but I have a few rules that make it a little easier to judge, I think:

1) Does the person or concept being offered represent an escape from reality or an engagement of it? Much of what's being offered in the New Age is pure escapism. While there may be some value in psychics and astrology and so forth, their purpose should be as an adjunct to practicality, not a replacement. We should all be, first and foremost, firmly rooted in our 3D lives. We should have a schedule, a clean diet, fitness goals, and a job. Without any of those things, you're blowing in the wind. Our lives need to be ordered and anchored in things like logic and rationality. When that's established and when some version of emotional and mental stability is achieved, then you can go exploring a little.

2) Is the New Age personality presenting himself/herself as a messiah figure, or a "chosen one"? I don't think I have to do too much explaining here, because this goes badly EVERY TIME.

3) What are they selling? What are they charging for the things they are selling? And what kind of lifestyle are they living? We all need money. I get that. I am an unrepentant capitalist, so I have no problem with trying to earn a few bucks. If you write a book, for example, you are deserving of some monetary reciprocation for your time and effort. Ditto if you offer a workshop, or make an appearance, and so on. But it becomes a problem when A) you won't utter a word without getting paid, B) you charge exorbitant fees for appearances and such, C) your website becomes a giant advertisement, D) you introduce paywalls E) you dangle information that is presented as exclusively yours, hint at it's vital importance, and then charge money for access to it.

One very easy way to determine the sincerity of someone in this field is to simply look at their lifestyle. Do they live humbly? Extravagantly? Say what you want about David Icke, but he's not in this for the money. He's lived in the same modest apartment for many years now. Bill lives a simple life on a farm in Ecuador. He's never allowed a single ad on Avalon. Corey Goode on the other hand...David Wilcock on the other hand...

4) Can what's being offered be explained rationally? I understand some woo-woo defies description, but still most of it can withstand the rigors of logical evaluation. Reincarnation and NDE's for example: there are thousands of people that have revealed, under hypnosis, a previous life or a life between lives or a short trip to an afterlife state following an NDE. Many books have been written about it. Someone like David Paulides approaches his work with vigorous emphasis on statistics and trends. Things like astral travel and remote viewing are taught in a very plodding, systematic way...just like you might learn mathematics or physics. And so on...

So if it's all highly obscure or needlessly complicated, chances are it's likely bunk. The greatest spiritual truths are usually quite simple. Difficult in practice perhaps, but easy to understand.

Well that seems like a good start. I'll stop here for now
    Last edited by Mike; 29th December 2020 at 00:03.

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (28th December 2020), atman (29th December 2020), Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), BoR (3rd January 2021), Brenya (3rd January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Constance (28th December 2020), Franny (28th December 2020), Gemma13 (31st December 2020), Gracy (28th December 2020), Harmony (30th December 2020), Jayke (29th December 2020), Journeyman (30th December 2020), Kryztian (1st January 2021), loungelizard (31st December 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020), rgray222 (31st December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020), ulli (28th December 2020), Wind (29th December 2020), wondering (28th December 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

Default Re: Evaluating The New Age Rationally

New Age Rationality or New Age Irrationality?
    Dissecting this huge topic won’t be easy, although you’ve made a pretty good start.

To me New Age origins are mainly found in the late 19th century, in Theosophy, and the works of Madame Helena Blavatsky and Annie Besant.
    Also Rudolf Steiner, and many others.
    Opposed chiefly by organized Christianity, as to them New Agers carry an element of self glorification, rather than self negation.

Since I practice astrology a lot of people see me as part of the New Age movement, when in reality I go out of my way to distance myself from the woo woo end of the New Age spectrum.

It all depends on the individual, who after breaking away from formal education and formal religion goes out there into the big wide world, and encounters New Age charlatanism in the shape of money grabbing gurus.
    Quite a few of them are setting up centers here in Costa Rica.

Eastern religions, meditation, yoga, crystal energies, essential oils, all lend themselves to big business.
    If people believe in it hard enough, they might even get some positive results.
    Most of these teachings are just stepping stones, and as life unfolds the path a person choses becomes their own, if their search is sincere.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

atman (29th December 2020), Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), BoR (3rd January 2021), Brenya (3rd January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Franny (28th December 2020), Harmony (30th December 2020), Kryztian (1st January 2021), Lunesoleil (28th December 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Mike (28th December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020), rgray222 (31st December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020), Wind (29th December 2020), wondering (28th December 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    So if it's all highly obscure or needlessly complicated, chances are it's likely bunk. The greatest spiritual truths are usually quite simple. Difficult in practice perhaps, but easy to understand.
    Bingo Mike! Explain something to me in a nice basic manner, like talking to a 3rd grader if need be so I really get it, and I'll mull over your information from there. Maybe I take it on, maybe some of it, or maybe none at all, but at least I fully understand what it is being presented to me for my decision.

When it starts getting needlessly complicated, or especially convoluted, it's Gracy out...

Reminds me of Kerry's interview of Ashayana Deane years ago. I got done watching that, and was totally befuddled at what she was actually talking about, like I needed a 4 year degree in her spiritual information just to get the ball rolling. Just tell me zen stories, I'll get a ton more through those in practical application, that trying to track proverbial x's and o's all over the map.

6. Link to Post #4
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 times in 1,185 posts

Arrow Re: Evaluating The New Age Rationally

What is the New Age? Not easy to define but one might call it a loosely based spiritual system that emphasizes things like astrology, tarot, reincarnation, ET's, psychics, and so on.
    And like that, all astrologers in the same bag of corruption? Take a walk, towards the clairvoyants and mediums, who often pass themselves off as pitiful astrologers, but are not and in addition who exploit the credulity of their clients. It is rare for a good medium to possess the gift. Astrology is not new age, because its history is much older. You don't have to be new age to be disconnected from reality, which in 2020 it was certainly better to be disconnected to get out of the fear surrounding media information. Walks in nature, cooking good meals, is that really true ???

The Tarot like astrology are tools of self-knowledge, on personal development and intuition. These are psychic arts that must be manipulated with awareness, wisdom and humility. I would say that the signs are revealing in our daily life, just listen to the messages the art of the new age is here, now ...

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

atman (29th December 2020), Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Mike (29th December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020), ulli (28th December 2020), Wind (29th December 2020)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    New Age Rationality or New Age Irrationality?
    Dissecting this huge topic won’t be easy, although you’ve made a pretty good start.

To me New Age origins are mainly found in the late 19th century, in Theosophy, and the works of Madame Helena Blavatsky and Annie Besant.
    Also Rudolf Steiner, and many others.
    Opposed chiefly by organized Christianity, as to them New Agers carry an element of self glorification, rather than self negation.

Since I practice astrology a lot of people see me as part of the New Age movement, when in reality I go out of my way to distance myself from the woo woo end of the New Age spectrum.

It all depends on the individual, who after breaking away from formal education and formal religion goes out there into the big wide world, and encounters New Age charlatanism in the shape of money grabbing gurus.
    Quite a few of them are setting up centers here in Costa Rica.

Eastern religions, meditation, yoga, crystal energies, essential oils, all lend themselves to big business.
    If people believe in it hard enough, they might even get some positive results.
    Most of these teachings are just stepping stones, and as life unfolds the path a person choses becomes their own, if their search is sincere.

Thanks for all that Ulli. And it's nice to see you posting.

Astrology, of all the occult practices (may I call it occult? that's a neutral word to me) has been the most useful for me...much more so than psychics, numerology, or palmistry. I've had some very intriguing astrology readings actually.

My feeling - and please correct me if I'm wrong - is that the version of astrology being offered now is very watered down, and it's most powerful secrets hidden.

There is obviously an art to it, but it's also very much a science I think. Would you agree with that?

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020), ulli (29th December 2020), Wind (29th December 2020)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Gracy, OMG that Deane interview I couldn't get thru it. What a bunch of new age word salad that was.

If someone is gonna take the time to drone on about something like that, then it should have some utility of some sort. And if it does have some utility, then it's the speakers responsibility to make it at least a little digestible. Good example there, thanks. That's exactly what I mean.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), BoR (3rd January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Peter UK (29th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lunesoleil (here)
    And like that, all astrologers in the same bag of corruption? Take a walk, towards the clairvoyants and mediums, who often pass themselves off as pitiful astrologers, but are not and in addition who exploit the credulity of their clients. It is rare for a good medium to possess the gift. Astrology is not new age, because its history is much older. You don't have to be new age to be disconnected from reality, which in 2020 it was certainly better to be disconnected to get out of the fear surrounding media information. Walks in nature, cooking good meals, is that really true ???

The Tarot like astrology are tools of self-knowledge, on personal development and intuition. These are psychic arts that must be manipulated with awareness, wisdom and humility. I would say that the signs are revealing in our daily life, just listen to the messages the art of the new age is here, now ...

Yeah I agree with this.

I had to define 'new age' somehow, and while it didn't invent things like astrology, it certainly co-opted them. And that is an important distinction to make, so thanks for that.

Much in the way religion has distorted spirituality, the new age has done the same with things like astrology. That does need to be said.

The New Age basically collated a bunch spiritual practices, both traditional and non-traditional, thru in a few twists and turns, and claimed them as their own.

It's diluted the validity and sanctity of some of our most sacred practices, and that's why I resent the current crop of new-agers so much. They've stolen that from us in a way, and it's unforgivable.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

atman (29th December 2020), Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), BoR (3rd January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Peter UK (29th December 2020), Wind (29th December 2020)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

I was once working a trade show in Santa Barbara, CA, maybe 15 years ago or so. A woman approached and was interested in a jersey for her son. She offered me an astrological reading in return for a deal on one of the jerseys. I agreed.

She was so uncannily accurate, so good, but so casual at the same time that it kinda tripped me out. It caused me to have a very unexpected emotional reaction. I wanted to weep for some reason. I can't explain why. It took everything I had to keep it together that night.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), BoR (3rd January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Constance (30th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020), Wind (29th December 2020)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Thanks for all that Ulli. And it's nice to see you posting.

Astrology, of all the occult practices (may I call it occult? that's a neutral word to me) has been the most useful for me...much more so than psychics, numerology, or palmistry. I've had some very intriguing astrology readings actually.

My feeling - and please correct me if I'm wrong - is that the version of astrology being offered now is very watered down, and it's most powerful secrets hidden.

There is obviously an art to it, but it's also very much a science I think. Would you agree with that?
    To me it is more science than art, because when boiled down to the principles that govern it then astrologers agree.
    The art is in what is being perceived first, and seeing what is not immediately obvious.
    So different astrologers focus on different things.

Imagine a one acre field full of vegetables, in their full variety. Or a massive buffet table, with dozens of different dishes. Sometimes I decide to look at my chart and get to see things for the first time in years, although they were there all along.
    The underlying geometric laws that govern how energy frequencies affect reality are superbly orderly, and never cease to amaze me.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), BoR (3rd January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Lunesoleil (29th December 2020), Mike (29th December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020), raregem (29th December 2020), Wind (29th December 2020)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

I was once working a trade show in Santa Barbara, CA, maybe 15 years ago or so. A woman approached and was interested in a jersey for her son. She offered me an astrological reading in return for a deal on one of the jerseys. I agreed.

She was so uncannily accurate, so good, but so casual at the same time that it kinda tripped me out. It caused me to have a very unexpected emotional reaction. I wanted to weep for some reason. I can't explain why. It took everything I had to keep it together that night.
    I once did trade shows, too, flogging jerseys, selling to the likes of Bloomingdales, Saks, Lord and Taylor, before I quit that very lucrative career, to become an astrologer. Never made any money with astrology, although if I had visited trade shows and bartered chart readings for goods I might have survived. Instead invested what was left of the knitwear money in real estate, and now live off of rentals.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th December 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Lunesoleil (29th December 2020), Mike (29th December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020), Wind (29th December 2020)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,082 times in 817 posts

There are charlatons in all belief systems. The New Age has nothing on the scams of some Christian evangelists,

Indeed mainstream psychology and pharmacy has been a far more effective money making scam than New Age charlatans.

New Age is a loose label that is applied to wide range of beliefs and many who are often labelled with that do not appreciate being referred to that title.

The label now has negative connotations, like being labelled a hippy so many do not define themselves in that way.

The term can be related to astrological ages, with the belief that we are entering the age of Aquarius. You know the song.

"When the moon is in the Seventh House And Jupiter aligns with Mars" ......

Many great thinkers and writers have explored the concept of ages such as Graham Hancock and Carl Jung.

If you seriously want to understand astrological ages and ideas then this is a good start. The idea that we are entering a new aion, a new age.

This is uberboyo who has a great way of presenting ideas in a really down to earth fashion.

In Aion, Carl Jung tries to figure out the relationship between astrology and the human mind... and suggests that something BIG will happen on December 21st 2020.

It is nearly an hour long but well worth it in my opinion.

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular.” (Carl Jung)

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dorjezigzag For This Post:

atman (29th December 2020), Brenya (3rd January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Lunesoleil (29th December 2020), Mike (29th December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020), Uncle Danny (1st March 2022)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Arcturian108's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,329 times in 930 posts

The New Age movement of the 20th century, and ongoing, is greatly a result of what the Catholic Church would, or would not, allow to be taught either in an educational setting, or in society at large from 300 AD to 1500 AD. When you think about it, modern people in the Western world have only been legally allowed to practice the psychic arts for less than 100 years in many locations. Before that, the whole witchcraft thing was called up, and we all know the consequences of that label. In fact, many of us who weren't burned at the stake, witnessed those who were burned at the stake in our past lives. I frequently see how afraid people are of psychic phenomena, and realize that that fear is coming in from previous lives.

But from another angle, believe it or not, the C.I.A. was greatly responsible for fanning the flames of the New Age movement in America, and by extension throughout the world. The C.I.A. rightly realized in the sixties, that if they distracted the intelligent, young Americans from looking into the shenanigans of their organization, they could literally get away with murder anywhere in the world.
    And look where we are today as a result of that distraction.

Although I am strongly psychic, and have unusual abilities that borderline on the miraculous, I steer clear of the New Age label, because of the above issues.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Arcturian108 For This Post:

atman (29th December 2020), BoR (3rd January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (29th December 2020), Constance (30th December 2020), Dorjezigzag (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Lunesoleil (29th December 2020), Mike (29th December 2020), Peter UK (29th December 2020)

24. Link to Post #13
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Are you familiar with the Maria Duval affair, which embezzled more than $ 200 million in the United States? His name was hijacked when sending emails to defraud the often elderly and sick victims. This scam would have gone around the world and is still in some countries in activity. This woman born in 1938 had in 1995, marketed her name which was of international reputation and which would have met in the 70s and 80s exceptional personalities. About ten years ago, I saw for the first time, a video on Maria Duval with a critical astrologer of astrology French (...), In this period, there was no question of fraud ... I only discovered, two days ago by chance ...
    HERE folder CNN
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Duval_scam

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Arcturian108 (29th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mike (30th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020)

26. Link to Post #14
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Yeah I agree with this.
    I had to define 'new age' somehow, and while it didn't invent things like astrology, it certainly co-opted them. And that is an important distinction to make, so thanks for that.
    Much in the way religion has distorted spirituality, the new age has done the same with things like astrology. That does need to be said.
    The New Age basically collated a bunch spiritual practices, both traditional and non-traditional, thru in a few twists and turns, and claimed them as their own.
    It's diluted the validity and sanctity of some of our most sacred practices, and that's why I resent the current crop of new-agers so much. They've stolen that from us in a way, and it's unforgivable.

Thanks Mike for answering me
    The New Age is initiating a revolution of consciousness which has accelerated in France (I speak of what I know) with the revolution of May 68 and all the derivative forms of the Hippies sexual revolution. Each generation develops its own revolution in trends. Today another form is spreading with the new generations that have succeeded and the internet age has helped in its evolution to create a genre completely different from what has existed before.

One cannot stop the process of evolution of consciousness that follows in the movement of technological developments. There is an incredible phenomenon happening today among young people, I saw it in the 10 year phase between 2010/2020. The Internet has provided this opportunity which is being used more than it had been in the previous 10 years between 2000/2010.

Can we say that it is a phenomenon of the “new age”?, No it is something with an added value, which does not prove to be a winner every time, but we can compare it to the “American dream” in these beginnings of the conquest of the west.
    Yes astrology is enlisted within like all the humanities and for religion, I think in the decades to come will have become a memory. The wars of religion fueled a karmic egregore that has been perpetuated for centuries. Many politicians still have blood on their hands today. With the Covid, the problem has just been moved, but basically the same is repeated against life.

Beware of resentment, it is dangerous for your health and you cannot go against evolution on its own. We can also see that evolution brings with it chaos, the destruction of natural environments. What is destroyed is lost and we must continue to live knowing that life is a passage, established by births and deaths, we are unfortunately not eternal on planet Earth.

The "New Age" is an art of living with these limits if we do not want to be too disconnected from reality, but we can not limit ourselves to developing a rational mind and focusing mainly on the faculties of our left brain. Look at the disaster with scientists, not science would want to vaccinate us all with a vaccine whose reason is to control us better. A little logic will not hurt and that we all need our faculties to live in balance with ourselves and our environment ...

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

ByTheNorthernSea (30th December 2020), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mike (30th December 2020), Peter UK (30th December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020)

28. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,599 times in 5,379 posts

First off, it is a New Age. So I object to the appropriation of an accurate phrase and I oppose the vilification of it.

As for information that does not fit with the scientific method, New Age material owes it no proof, nor is it proven false by the opposition of science.

Then for the uninitiated to lump together any old discipline as vilified because of its association with this grassroots movement of new age thinkers borders on superstition and merely underlines their ignorance of the entire field.

The material available through the so-called New Age movement has helped countless individuals over the decades - and has taken decades to accumulate. In the 1980s there was hardly a book to be found except for the classics. By the 1990s that had changed and bookstores were dedicating larger and larger percentages of shelf space to the new contributors in the field.

I won't name names or disciplines but the experts in the New Age movement have developed not only a comprehensive library of pertinent data but have invented an entire new language in the process. Before, there were no words to even discuss the issues that are relevant to the movement, and its participants had to borrow words and phrases from other disciplines to express their ideas and feelings. If you are younger than fifty this is only history to you, but as one who has lived through it, and read almost every single book ever written in this field, which today is no longer accurate but back in the day I stayed abreast of every new work, I can attest that there are pearls of wisdom and tomes of great import within this field.

The flakes you are talking about exist in every group. They give the rest of us a bad name. In the Democrat party they are Antifa and BLM, in religion jihadists and martyrs, in science professional skeptics and 'official' experts, in public life 'career' politicians and lobbyists. In every group, in every discipline, the cream rises to the top. We don't fault whipped cream because 2% tastes like water.

Just because a movement has been weaponized from its initial benign and useful intent does not vilify the entire movement. For instance, the American election was stolen, everyone with half a brain knows it or suspects it. So are Americans now to be rebranded a banana republic, and their word no longer trusted, all their dealings suspicious? The vote was weaponized and the vulnerability of the American people has been exposed for all to see. They are guilty of fraud, they are cheaters, just like Venezuela or Honduras or countless tiny corrupt countries.

All Americans are corrupt, would follow from the logic of the premise of this thread.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Harmony (2nd January 2021), Lunesoleil (30th December 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Mike (30th December 2020), Peter UK (30th December 2020), Rainbowbrite (14th January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Ernie, lots of good stuff there. I think we're in agreement on much of it.

But the purpose of this thread isn't to vilify the new age, it is to evaluate it rationally, just like the thread title suggests.

Just like you said - and other posters have pointed out - there are exploitative types in any endeavor, be it religion or politics or whatever. Agreed! But you can't write about everything. I've chosen the new age here due to my disgust not just with Goodes and Wilcocks of the world, but also with the newly emerging Matthew Mournian, who seems every bit as dubious as they are.

I'm not trying to rid the world of the new age; my hope is that a rational evaluation might help to trim some of the unnecessary fat off of it
    Last edited by Mike; 30th December 2020 at 21:23.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

ByTheNorthernSea (31st December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (1st January 2021), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Peter UK (31st December 2020)

32. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 19:00.

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

ByTheNorthernSea (31st December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (1st January 2021), Harmony (2nd January 2021), justntime2learn (30th December 2020), Lunesoleil (31st December 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Mike (31st December 2020), Peter UK (31st December 2020), Rainbowbrite (14th January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,082 times in 817 posts

Quote But the purpose of this thread isn't to vilify the new age, it is to evaluate it rationally, just like the thread title suggests.
    If you really want to begin understanding 'New Age' I highly recommend Dark Journalists's X series which is probably over 200 hours of information they can be over long but it really explores the history of groups like the Theosophical society and the Anthroposophy of Rudolf Steiner. Much of the science that you are surrounded with today has had some mystic input into its creation. The Varian brothers who were pioneers of silicon valley were the sons of the head of the theosophical society in the USA. Tesla was of course very interested in mystical experiences. As was pauli one of the pioneers of Quantum mechanics who made a significant scientific breakthrough through a mystic dream and vision

This focus on rationalism and new age is not really getting what it is about. As was discussed in that video that I shared in my previous post when Notrodamas went into a trance this was not a rational experience, he accessed a deep unconscious state. This is the realm of the mystic. He would go into a trance and record this vision and then through the structures of astrology attempt to make sense of it

You may not believe that certain individuals have this mystic psychic ability and culture is set up to encourage you to think it is bunk.

As Dark journalist shows Those that have had influence and control in our world most definitely believe in psychic abilities and they gain power through this knowledge. They muddy the waters of our access to this knowledge through disinformation.

I would say the problem with today's mostly fake psychics is that they are too rational. They look at who is there core audience and they rationally consider what it is that they want to hear. They then present this and when they are constantly proved wrong they then rationally think of excuses for their incorrect hope porn predictions. Examples are wrongly predicting the death of someone like Hillary Clinton and saying something like oh that one walking around is a clone. The latest get out clause is the multiple timelines whereby a wrong prediction can be explained by a timeline shift.

True psychics often will not say what people want to hear, so often these are not the popular ones

I'm sure I am using the term rational in a way that you did not intend with this thread, but history has taught us time and time again just because something is rational, is consciously thought through does not make it true. It has been proved that decisions made through instinct and hunches are often more successful that decisions that have been rationalised and thought through

I do not consider myself as 'New Age' but it is becoming increasingly clear that we are entering one.

Also just to add just because I am presenting how psychic's experiences are not best appreciated through a rational lens that does not mean I do not see the value of rationality and reason.

Here is one of dark journalists many X series videos.

Last edited by Dorjezigzag; 31st December 2020 at 00:13.
    “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular.” (Carl Jung)

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dorjezigzag For This Post:

Brenya (3rd January 2021), Ernie Nemeth (1st January 2021), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mike (31st December 2020), Peter UK (31st December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

Quote Posted by Constance (here)
    Most practitioners are only fluffing their client’s pillows, profiteering off their ignorance as they make their stagnant or regressive realities slightly more comfortable and bearable. There are people with their hand out every step of the way, either selling or wanting something. Lots of ‘experts’ happily profiteer off the idea of life being a process towards a result - rather than affirming our natural state of wholeness and maintaining Flow.
    Very pithy statement and every one who is profiteering form Ignorance is Ignorant. Taking advantage of Ignorance or being just as stupid makes no difference. The profiteer is accountable.

I may be mistaken but my inner inkling tells me that ONLY those who move beyond this state of buying and selling in this mode of Ignorance are ready to live as Sovereign beings. The dependence on energy form others is at the root cause of entrapment IMO.

If you cannot get your own juice, I think it may be impossible to move into a different state where one is FREE. Free is no chains to the matrix. Free is connecting directly with Source. Free is not becoming isolated but is being able to BE in any situation without drawing life force off the "others" in it.

EVERYONE who "runs things" wants us to remain enmeshed because of our "need". I am pretty well convinced that THIS is the big threat... that we just no longer participate. BUT that means a relationship to a field of energy one can call God (by any name) and many are unable to sense the connection at all. If one is defended, one cannot receive very much (IMO).

By the way, the new age is such a loose term that IMO it is meaningless. It was FOR ME the novel idea: I may have a relationship to God without a middle man. I read books that were outside the catechism that alerted me to think and feel into God within. I love all the "new age" books I ever read. I love the path and my friends and teachers. I may not need them any longer. I honor them for being stepping stones and allies to forgive IGNORANCE.
    Last edited by Delight; 31st December 2020 at 01:07.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Constance (31st December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (1st January 2021), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (31st December 2020), Mike (31st December 2020), Peter UK (31st December 2020), Sue (Ayt) (31st December 2020)

38. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

The sunset last night was EXTRAORDINARY. The colors were in bands and 360 degree vibrant. clues like this lead me to embrace that I am lifting out of the common "reality" in real time into My ascending life.

I believe in "Ascension" as a real happening for all who Choose it. That is a very "new age" idea. What people think about it is varied. Some have a view even that we will be lifted up by some power outside us, like God's hand picking us up. But to ME the realms of new age brought an idea that I am God. I do not know what GOD is so I call God The Unknown.

New Thought authors penned the literature that is "the Secret"... that our minds create ALL reality we experience. I think that is a core paradigm of "New Age" as a religion. We in some way are God in form and we Create OUR own reality here and now in space and time. Why is it all so messed up Here? That question in the New Age leads to a HUGE realization of self responsibility. I messed my reality up to master an undoing. Forgiveness is a central message in the New Age. LOVE is a mystery to unravel in the New Age. Being an individual within ONE is a process of reconnection.

It all starts with us, by us, for us. The new age brought poets like Rumi to modern attention. I digested poems and rewrote them because in the new age, we can synthesize for our selves the meanings and explore form Inside OUT a NEW Earth. AS we In-Lighten, I KNOW we lift and we are In the world but NOT of the world. We of the new age aspire to IN Spirit Matter.

We are seekers. We take in pieces of a scattered puzzle but we begin to KNOW,: we are the pattern makers. Perhaps "this world" is a kind of Purgatory? Maybe it IS the Underworld of Shamans? We are looking for an answer. We of the new age want to KNOW for ourselves by experience that God is real, God is here and God working through US is everything one could possibly imagine.

Come, Come, whoever you are.
    Poets and wanderers, worshipping leaving.
    Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Even if you have broken your vows a thousand times,
    Come, Come, Come again, Come.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (1st January 2021), Harmony (2nd January 2021), Mike (1st January 2021), Peter UK (1st January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (3rd January 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast