+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite time travel movies?

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,711 times in 2,086 posts

Default Re: Favorite time travel movies?

VANTAGE POINT Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDp-08uNH0Y with dennis quaid , this isn't a time travel movie but it rewinds from 4 different perspectives all taken from different points of view of the incident over and over again. Another spectacular movie !

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th July 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), leavesoftrees (16th July 2021), Pam (21st October 2021), Tintin (16th July 2021)

3. Link to Post #22
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,494 times in 4,309 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Sure thing. Downloadable for a week, here's Primer — and also Somewhere in Time, which is a very sweet and romantic 1980 Christopher Reeve time travel movie that I really enjoyed. (And which, unlike Primer, is easy to follow! )[*]https://we.tl/t-nutdhbdnCs[/LIST]
    That's wonderful Bill, thanks very much!

I had a bit of a trawl through my old video collection and picked out some movies I had totally forgotten that involved time travel. Some old classics here, which I'd not seen for a very long time but I do remember fondly!

The Final Countdown (1980)
    Mentioned this one earlier. What would happen if the Nimitz, a modern day Aircraft Carrier, suddenly found itself in the vicinity of Pearl Harbour, on December 7th 1941?

Timescape - aka Grand Tour - Disaster in Time (1992)
    A man and his family become embroiled with a group of time tourists, who have travelled back in time to witness a major natural disaster: the destruction of their town.

House (1986)
    A horror/sci-fi/comedy classic. The trailer doesn't do it justice, and doesn't even feature the time travel element. No major spoilers, but the House hides a secret, a portal into the past. Our protagonist, a Vietnam veteran, is transported back to Vietnam a decade ago, to the horrors of the war, which he is forced to confront and where his whole life unravels...

Millennium (1989)
    If you need another reason to watch this (other than Cheryl Ladd), this is pretty hokey by today's standards, but would make for an excellent remake if done right.

Essentially, owing to a fertility crisis, time travellers are returning to the twentieth century and abducting healthy humans to help repopulate the future. How to do this ethically? Air crashes. Abduct all the passengers seconds before the plane goes down and replace them with bio-replicants. They were all going to die anyway, at least this way they'll live - but 1,000 years hence. Studying the wreckage of one such accident, and strange clues on the cockpit voice recorder, an NTSB investigator (Kris Kristofferson) becomes suspicious and the mystery begins to unfold.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Anka (22nd July 2021), Ankle Biter (27th July 2021), Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Franny (16th July 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Le Chat (16th July 2021), muxfolder (20th July 2021), Pam (21st October 2021), pyrangello (16th July 2021), Tintin (16th July 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    Finland Avalon Member muxfolder's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 times in 668 posts

The Butterfly Effect is one of my favorites of all time. I'm not that big Ashton Kutcher fan but the child actors are very good in it. Primer another good one. I'll have to see it again because didn't really get it when I saw it for the first time. It was just way too complex to understand.

Another not mentioned yet, The Philadelphia Experiment. I bet a lot of you know the story, it's supposed to be real experiment.
    IMDb

I just recently watched Resolution (2012) IMDb

and The Endless (2017).
    IMDb

Not exactly time travelling but I guess they're close enough. You should see The Resolution first because The Endless is kind of a sequal.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Anka (22nd July 2021), Ankle Biter (27th July 2021), Bill Ryan (20th July 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (21st July 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (21st July 2021), mountain_jim (20th July 2021), Pam (21st October 2021)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 77,636 times in 8,593 posts

Just watched Resolution, The Endless, and their (Co-directors Justin Benson, Aaron Moorhead) newest 2020 one, Synchronic.

Quote Steve stumbles upon a terrifying truth about the psychedelic that will challenge everything he knows about reality and the flow of time itself.
    and with each one, these talented guys are getting better funding and making interesting movies.
    Last edited by mountain_jim; 21st July 2021 at 00:15.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Anka (22nd July 2021), Ankle Biter (27th July 2021), Bill Ryan (20th July 2021), Franny (22nd July 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (21st July 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd July 2021), muxfolder (20th July 2021), Pam (21st October 2021)

9. Link to Post #25
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 times in 168 posts

I don't know why this thread has gained my attention. Maybe it's because I've been waiting for someone to make the giant leap from MOVIES to TV series. Is that OK? I mean, a TV series can be even more effective than a 90 minute film. In that case I suggest The 4400. Oh, you didn't know it was about time travel? Funny thing is that somewhere in the later seasons the Jordan Collier character gives a very coherent speech that in today's world would be perfectly fitting. I won't say anything about this series being predictive programming. But an argument could be made. What fascinates me about it, though, is the emphasis on the development of so-called psychic abilities and the plot gimmick of impending doom for humanity lurking in the future. From my personal point of view, having my entire life severely impacted by ongoing non-ordinary experiences that are almost impossible to talk about, it is quite possible that the PTB are creating the chaos we see around us to prevent the kind of awakening that I've pretty much been forced to embrace. And there is a fast growing semi-consensus in the abduction/UFO community that we're dealing with dimensionals, not so much with aliens from Aldebaran. I think The 4400 is a perfect fit for these interesting times.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to helium For This Post:

Anka (22nd July 2021), Ankle Biter (27th July 2021), Bill Ryan (21st July 2021), Franny (22nd July 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (21st July 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd July 2021), mountain_jim (21st July 2021), onevoice (21st July 2021), Pam (21st July 2021), Sue (Ayt) (21st July 2021)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

I need to watch more TV I suppose, I have never even heard of most of these!
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Anka (22nd July 2021), Bill Ryan (21st July 2021), Franny (22nd July 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Le Chat (14th August 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd July 2021), muxfolder (12th August 2021), Pam (21st July 2021)

13. Link to Post #27
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 times in 168 posts

Quote Posted by Karen (Geophyz) (here)
    I need to watch more TV I suppose, I have never even heard of most of these!

OMG don't do that! TV is the mindkiller! Thank heaven for free trials on the streaming services.

And thanks for your kindness, Karen.

By the way, while not *exactly* a time travel movie, I highly recommend We Are Boats, found on amazon prime. Their free trial won't put one bit of fuel into the Bezos rocket.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to helium For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd July 2021), Franny (22nd July 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (22nd July 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd July 2021), mountain_jim (23rd July 2021), Pam (21st October 2021), Vicus (14th August 2021)

15. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks

If you're talking time travel TV shows - where to begin. There's so many to choose from. There are those TV shows that feature time travel as its central premise, or featured as its most prominent device, and there are all-encompassing sci-fi series, like Star Trek, or the X-Files, or Fringe, where time travel was the theme of a particular episode.

So let's go!

Among those that specifically involved time travel in its premise and that occur to me, that I enjoyed, even loved, and heartily recommend:

- Life on Mars (UK) (2006 - 2007)
    - Quantum Leap (1989 -1993)
    - Dr. Who (1963 - present)
    - Primeval (2007 - 2011)
    - Early Edition (1996 - 2000)
    - Terra Nova (2011)

Beyond all of them however, reaching so far as to skim the thermosphere, where it rules alone as probably.....nah, without question....the most awe-inspiring TV show that there ever was! (at least until the last couple of seasons, where it was rushed /like Game of Thrones/ and ended with a bit of a whimper)...it can only be:

For a while though it was like...OMG. If you watched it, well, you KNOW!! Just thinking about that show, even today, gives me goosebumps.

~ Jimi Hendrix

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd July 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), leavesoftrees (24th July 2021), muxfolder (12th August 2021), Pam (21st October 2021)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Quote Posted by helium (here)
    I don't know why this thread has gained my attention. Maybe it's because I've been waiting for someone to make the giant leap from MOVIES to TV series. Is that OK? I mean, a TV series can be even more effective than a 90 minute film. In that case I suggest The 4400. Oh, you didn't know it was about time travel? Funny thing is that somewhere in the later seasons the Jordan Collier character gives a very coherent speech that in today's world would be perfectly fitting. I won't say anything about this series being predictive programming. But an argument could be made. What fascinates me about it, though, is the emphasis on the development of so-called psychic abilities and the plot gimmick of impending doom for humanity lurking in the future. From my personal point of view, having my entire life severely impacted by ongoing non-ordinary experiences that are almost impossible to talk about, it is quite possible that the PTB are creating the chaos we see around us to prevent the kind of awakening that I've pretty much been forced to embrace. And there is a fast growing semi-consensus in the abduction/UFO community that we're dealing with dimensionals, not so much with aliens from Aldebaran. I think The 4400 is a perfect fit for these interesting times.
    I watched 2 seasons and thought it was way too cheesy. That show had a lot of potential though so it might have been so much better if the writers of the show had been better. I don't know, maybe I should see it all the way through then.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st October 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Anyone here seen Dark on Netflix? Not sure if it's on US Netflix because it's in German (though it's also dubbed in English but I like it in German) and it reminds me of Twin Peaks. Already watched 5 episodes and it's really interesting. The soundtrack is also quite interesting. Remember those trumpet sounds all over the world? Yeah, this show has those on the background. Maybe predictive programming again? That must have been some sort of experiment.

Quote The first German production from the world's leading Internet TV Network is set in a German town in present day where the disappearance of two young children exposes the double lives and fractured relationships among four families. In ten hour-long episodes, the story takes on a surprising twist that ties back to the same town in 1986.
    IMDb

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st October 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), Open Minded Dude (12th August 2021), Pam (21st October 2021)

21. Link to Post #31
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

Quote Posted by muxfolder (here)
    Anyone here seen Dark on Netflix? Not sure if it's on US Netflix because it's in German (though it's also dubbed in English but I like it in German) and it reminds me of Twin Peaks. Already watched 5 episodes and it's really interesting. The soundtrack is also quite interesting. Remember those trumpet sounds all over the world? Yeah, this show has those on the background. Maybe predictive programming again? That must have been some sort of experiment.

Quote The first German production from the world's leading Internet TV Network is set in a German town in present day where the disappearance of two young children exposes the double lives and fractured relationships among four families. In ten hour-long episodes, the story takes on a surprising twist that ties back to the same town in 1986.
    IMDb

I've seen it and it's great although very confusing especially in the third season, when parallel realities also come into play next to the many time jumps between the periods all 33 years apart.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st October 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), muxfolder (12th August 2021), Pam (21st October 2021)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Open Minded Dude (here)

IMDb

I've seen it and it's great although very confusing especially in the third season, when parallel realities also come into play next to the many time jumps between the periods all 33 years apart.
    Forgot to mention that 33-part from the post above, which is everywhere all over this series. 33 dead lambs etc. Full of freemason stuff it seems.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st October 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), Pam (21st October 2021)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,340 times in 472 posts

Quote Posted by Karen (Geophyz) (here)
    I have never even heard of most of these!
    You and me both!

As I don't have a TV, I don't expect things are going to change any time soon....

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st October 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), mojorissin (14th August 2021), Pam (21st October 2021), Vicus (14th August 2021)

27. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Stephen King 11.22.63 - the book.
    Actually, I didn't watch the movie, but the movies based on his books are always very good, sometimes favorite ones.

Stephen King's unbelievable knowledge of human nature makes the feeling that his heroes go through so real, that they go through your own heart and mind.
    And in this work good and dark sides of the same human (real ones, not the copybook maxims) intertwined and different times do same, keeping all details.
    Even 'The Catcher in the Rye' there is a story of how bad 50's are and how good 60's might be in the words of the main character.
    50 years back trip, trip around America with it's differences good and bad things.

This is not just a thriller, this is a work of humanist and historian.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lariliss For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st October 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (21st October 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (21st October 2021), Pam (21st October 2021), Sue (Ayt) (21st October 2021)

29. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,071 times in 569 posts

It's a Wonderful Life is my fav Christmas movie - also has aspects of time travel

In colour:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7vfx5k

I do prefer the more authentic Black and White version.
    Last edited by mizo; 21st October 2021 at 08:29.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mizo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st October 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (21st October 2021), Harmony (21st October 2021), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), Pam (21st October 2021)

31. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lariliss (here)
    Stephen King 11.22.63 - the book.
    Actually, I didn't watch the movie, but the movies based on his books are always very good, sometimes favorite ones.
    11.22.63 was an amazing book: a man finds himself back in 1963 and decides, by himself, to thwart the assassination of JFK.

I gave it as a gift to a relative 2 Christmases ago. She reads two books a week and has for probably 50+ years, mostly crime/thrillers, but had never before dipped into Stephen King. She told me it was probably the best book she had ever read.

Unfortunately the TV mini series was poor, in fact, dreadfully weak. My view of King adaptations is quite different to yours. None of them ever live up to the books. The Shining is an exception, but that was just the genius of Kubrick. Misery is also an exception. The first Pet Semetary wasn't too bad either, and the recent IT movie was decent.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th January 2022), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), Pam (21st October 2021)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member Lilyofthestars's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 times in 163 posts

I'm a complete nerd, but I actually really enjoyed the 90's romp "Kate and Leopold". Yes, it's slap stick comedy that's super tongue and cheek. But its also fairly sweet, meaningful, and touching all at the same time.

Another one of my favorite time travel stories includes Doctor Who, the film "Day of the Doctor", a joint effort by David Tennant and Matt Smith.. I use to be a total fan girl on this one. But really, the story line is amazing and incredibly in depth.

While not time travel per se, it's closely related. The OA on Netflix. Well, its more about Dimensional Timeline Jumping and the concept of "Original Angels" who are incarnate. Brit Marling is basically a genius.
    Last edited by Lilyofthestars; 12th January 2022 at 22:14.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lilyofthestars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th January 2022), DeDukshyn (13th January 2022), Harmony (13th January 2022), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), Jad (15th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (13th October 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th January 2022), Pam (13th January 2022)

35. Link to Post #38
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

Quote Posted by Open Minded Dude (here)

IMDb

Forgot to mention that 33-part from the post above, which is everywhere all over this series. 33 dead lambs etc. Full of freemason stuff it seems.
    Yes, it’s rich in esoteric knowledge. It’s my favourite series, although the programming is intense, but fascinating and revealing.

A note on predictive programming; all films are programming, whether or not it’s intentional and whether or not it serves a hidden agenda (not really hidden). Actually all life experience programs reality and films with agendas are a peek into the world the elitists wish to manifest through the manipulation of the collective mind.

The OA is inspiring and captivating, another favourite, but it doesn’t take a genius to write this series and there’s nothing special about Brit Marling’s character. Her character is an example of any human being who is in a sufficiently pure state. That state is achieved through authenticity and those abilities arise effortlessly out of the nature of that flow.

Forgive me if the above statement seems abrupt at all, this is not my intention, I note this as a warning against romanticism of the natural abilities of the human race because there exists on this planet highly advanced technology and pure humans are needed to operate it. It is important to be aware of this moving forward in these times, so pure souls aren’t exploited to nefarious ends. I assure you, the beings behind these agendas hold nothing about humans as sacred.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2022), ExomatrixTV (13th January 2022), Harmony (13th January 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th January 2022), Pam (13th January 2022)

37. Link to Post #39
    United States Avalon Member Lilyofthestars's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 times in 163 posts

@InnocentWarrior, What I was more referring to was her courage to tell such a tremendous story of such a pure soul. I also believe there are elements of truth to the concept of original angels incarnate. But also not something I wish to get into a debate about. I find her one of the most courageous women in writing, and as a matter of subjective opinion, on the scale of genius. My apologies if you feel the word wasn't warranted. I merely wanted to share the trailer for anyone who hasn't dived into the show. Its great that you love the series. I also appreciate your comments regarding pure souls being exploited by such advancements. Its already happening and I'm well aware of some of the technologies being deployed.

Quote because there exists on this planet highly advanced technology and pure humans are needed to operate it. It is important to be aware of this moving forward in these times, so pure souls aren’t exploited to nefarious ends.
    Indeed. But, did you mean that those that have invented such advanced technologies need pure souls to make it work? Or that those that invented said technologies are pure? If its the latter, I most certainly wouldn't agree. If its the first, I've discovered this myself and have seen evidence of it unfortunately.

Quote I assure you, the beings behind these agendas hold nothing about humans as sacred.
    This is a very true statement! The OA isn't so far from the truth regarding what they've been reverse engineering for decades.
    Last edited by Lilyofthestars; 13th January 2022 at 08:03.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lilyofthestars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2022), Harmony (13th January 2022), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (13th January 2022), Pam (13th January 2022)

39. Link to Post #40
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

One series on netflix I didn't see listed here is "Travelers."

It has a different take on time travel, in that human bodies cannot time travel, but consciousness from the future, can travel backwards. Some of the overall premise re: time travel, doesn't make much sense, but overall its a good watch after completing season one. I'd classify it as a "sci-fi mystery drama"

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Lilyofthestars (here)

While not time travel per se, it's closely related. The OA on Netflix. Well, its more about Dimensional Timeline Jumping and the concept of "Original Angels" who are incarnate. Brit Marling is basically a genius.
    I got to try to watch the OA again. I watched season one, then completely forgot about it, and what is really about, then I started watching season two about a year later and was like "what the heck is going on here?" ... so I've been meaning to start again from the beginning ... from what I can recall it is very interesting, original, genius, and disturbing all at once.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2022), ExomatrixTV (13th January 2022), Harmony (13th January 2022), Innocent Warrior (13th January 2022), Jad (15th January 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (13th January 2022), Lilyofthestars (13th January 2022), Pam (13th January 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast