Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 6 16 17 LastLast

Thread: The Power Of The James Webb Telescope in Space To Be Launched in 2021

1. Link to Post #101
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,640 times in 20,812 posts

Default Re: The Power Of The James Webb Telescope in Space To Be Launched in 2021

• Live! ... 1 Million Km's and counting! - James Webb Tracker!
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 10th January 2022 at 01:55.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (8th January 2022), JackMcThorn (6th January 2022), Spiral (12th January 2022)

3. Link to Post #102
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

Default Re: The Power Of The James Webb Telescope in Space To Be Launched in 2021

Current Phase: The Port Primary Mirror Wing is fully deployed and latched.

Nominal Event Time: Launch + 13 days (Friday 1/7/22)

The left/port (+V2) wing of the primary mirror is fully deployed and latched. Each wing holds three of the 18 mirror segments. This is a motor-driven deployment.

Almost 75% of the distance is complete. Following the deployment of the wings is the honeycomb shaped mirror segments. I think quite a few at mission control will be holding their breath on this one.

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/we...ereIsWebb.html
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (8th January 2022), Spiral (12th January 2022)

5. Link to Post #103
    Language
    Thanks

• James Webb Space Telescope: Primary Mirror Deployment – Mission Control Live:
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

JackMcThorn (8th January 2022), Spiral (12th January 2022)

7. Link to Post #104
    Language
    Thanks

• News Update on James Webb Space Telescope's Full Deployment:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Spiral (12th January 2022)

9. Link to Post #105
    Language
    Thanks

• It's Done! James Webb Has Been Fully Deployed In Space:

As we learn new things about something, we start to believe we know a lot about it. But this isn’t often the case with space. Our Solar system is much, much bigger than you would expect, and you’d be surprised how little we know about it. But soon, with the launch of a next-generation telescope, that might change. Does this mean we would finally detect an elusive Planet 9? Will we find some other secrets our Solar system has stored for us? And would it all change the way we perceive our place in the cosmos? Now, get ready to discover answers to this and more!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (12th January 2022), Spiral (12th January 2022), Vicus (10th January 2022)

11. Link to Post #106
    Language
    Thanks

• NASA CEO Bill Nelson: James Webb Space Telescope: Sunshield Deployment - Mission Control Live:

• NASA finishes unfolding James Webb Space Telescope:
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 10th January 2022 at 00:55.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (10th January 2022), Spiral (12th January 2022)

13. Link to Post #107
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: The Power Of The James Webb Telescope in Space To Be Launched in 2021

• Unknown Object Orbiting a Distant Star Caused Unexplained Dimming:

Another JWST candidate

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (12th January 2022), Spiral (12th January 2022)

15. Link to Post #108
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The JWST is now fully deployed.

Next will be positioning and stabalizing in L2 point so that optimal operating temperatures are reached.

Then calibration of the primary mirror segments. Similar to collimating your own reflector telescope, which they say isn't hard but for me a true pain in the ass.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (12th January 2022), JackMcThorn (12th January 2022), Spiral (12th January 2022)

17. Link to Post #109
    Language
    Thanks

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

JackMcThorn (12th January 2022), Spiral (12th January 2022)

19. Link to Post #110
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

Quote Posted by Ankle Biter (here)

Next will be positioning and stabalizing in L2 point so that optimal operating temperatures are reached.

Then calibration of the primary mirror segments. Similar to collimating your own reflector telescope, which they say isn't hard but for me a true pain in the ass.
    Apologies for going slightly off topic but it's not that hard with one of those laser jobbies they are using, they aren't expensive either.

PS. Santa can I have one of those nice Dobsonians like on that vid next Christmas please ?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

Ankle Biter (13th January 2022)

21. Link to Post #111
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Spiral (here)

Apologies for going slightly off topic but it's not that hard with one of those laser jobbies they are using, they aren't expensive either.

PS. Santa can I have one of those nice Dobsonians like on that vid next Christmas please ?
    True about those laser jobbies mate, hence the source of said pain was my own doing doing. When going for a budget reflector I later discovered that it uses a spherical shape primary mirror. Because light from planets doesn't come back to its secondary mirror at the bottom of focuser tube at a single focal point (as what happens with proper made parabolic primary mirror and extra $$$) a subsequent domed glass piece is needed before it comes up through the eyepiece. This has the effect of making the laser dot become like an elongated blob and the process of collimation reduces to a.. eh close enough type effort.

That Dobsonian from santa and I'd never ask for anything ever again! What a beauty! The collapsable ones at the back with motorized mount is my next buy I'm saving for. Up on the aperture to around 10"-12" . With my current one can't really see any of the very cool and interesting deeper sky objects available.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Spiral (13th January 2022)

23. Link to Post #112
    Language
    Thanks

• 🔴 LIVE! Mirror Movement InProgress! - James Webb Tracker!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Inversion (14th January 2022)

25. Link to Post #113
    Language
    Thanks

• James Webb Telescope LIVE TRACKING mirror segment in progress
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 17th January 2022 at 23:44.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (19th January 2022)

27. Link to Post #114
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,289 times in 672 posts

True about those laser jobbies mate, hence the source of said pain was my own doing doing. When going for a budget reflector I later discovered that it uses a spherical shape primary mirror. Because light from planets doesn't come back to its secondary mirror at the bottom of focuser tube at a single focal point (as what happens with proper made parabolic primary mirror and extra $$$) a subsequent domed glass piece is needed before it comes up through the eyepiece. This has the effect of making the laser dot become like an elongated blob and the process of collimation reduces to a.. eh close enough type effort.

That Dobsonian from santa and I'd never ask for anything ever again! What a beauty! The collapsable ones at the back with motorized mount is my next buy I'm saving for. Up on the aperture to around 10"-12" . With my current one can't really see any of the very cool and interesting deeper sky objects available.
    My first 'scope many moons ago was a second-hand 4'' Newtonian reflector I got for £50 and had many many happy hours hours with it. I will never forget my first sight of saturn - a tiny disk with faint protuberances at either end (the rings) Nothing at all like the pictures in my astronomy books of course, but the thrill of it was because I realised that I was observing this planet in real time - as it was in that very moment. I could not bear to part with it and it remained in the attic for many years even when I stopped serious stargazing. I never got the hang of the altazimuth motor - much preferring to manually jiggle the little wheels at the end of the rods (whatever they were called!) to get my bearings.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Ankle Biter (19th January 2022), ExomatrixTV (19th January 2022)

29. Link to Post #115
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mari (here)

My first 'scope many moons ago was a second-hand 4'' Newtonian reflector I got for £50 and had many many happy hours hours with it. I will never forget my first sight of saturn - a tiny disk with faint protuberances at either end (the rings) Nothing at all like the pictures in my astronomy books of course, but the thrill of it was because I realised that I was observing this planet in real time - as it was in that very moment. I could not bear to part with it and it remained in the attic for many years even when I stopped serious stargazing. I never got the hang of the altazimuth motor - much preferring to manually jiggle the little wheels at the end of the rods (whatever they were called!) to get my bearings.
    The thrill are returns that don't diminish either. Lately I am really enjoying seeing the gallilean moons of Jupiter dancing around and each in a different position from one night to the next.

Since getting it I think 2 years ago now, every viewing as like a full immersion in observation. Truly does feel like I'm part of a universal consciousness that is looking back and witnessing itself.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (19th January 2022), Mari (19th January 2022), onevoice (24th January 2022)

31. Link to Post #116
    Language
    Thanks

• How James Webb's Mirrors MUST Work:

¤=[Post Update]=¤

• Webb Space Telescope’s Million Mile Journey to L2 Is Nearly Complete
    • Nasa’s James Webb Space Telescope Has Reached Its Destination. Now what?
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 23rd January 2022 at 22:08.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (24th January 2022)

33. Link to Post #117
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: The Power Of The James Webb Telescope in Space To Be Launched in 2021

• 10h James Webb Space Telescope Free Roam | Out Of This World Relaxing Experience 4k:

9,9 Gb mp4 720p

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (24th January 2022), The KMan (27th January 2022)

35. Link to Post #118
    Language
    Thanks

• Nasa Science Live: What’s Next for the James Webb Space Telescope?

The past month has been an exciting one for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope — from launch in tropical French Guiana, to the two-week unfolding of this intricately-packed telescope, the observatory has gone through a huge transformation in space. What’s next for Webb as it cools down over the next five months and looks to #UnfoldTheUniverse? Join mission experts and submit your questions on social media using #UnfoldTheUniverse. Meet the experts: Dr. Amber Straughn is Deputy Project Scientist for Webb Science Communications at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. She has been working on this mission for over 13 years and is most looking forward to the unexpected discoveries we’ll make with the telescope; the things that may completely surprise us. In her spare time, she loves hiking, yoga, flying, live music, and doing what she can to make her corner of the world a better place. Miss Scarlin Hernandez is Webb Flight Systems Engineer at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Maryland. With the Webb mission, she is most looking forward to learning more about the origin of life and discovering things we didn’t know were out there. In her free time, she enjoys meditating, empowering others, listening to music and spending time with family and friends. Miss Tahira Allen is Communication Strategist for the NASA Headquarters digital media team in Washington. Completion of Webb’s major deployments in space was one of the most exciting moments for her during this mission. In her own words: "Talk about human ingenuity at its finest!” In Tahira's spare time she enjoys cooking, exercising, spending time with family and friends, mentoring University of Georgia students, and learning about world history.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (26th January 2022), onevoice (24th January 2022), The KMan (27th January 2022)

37. Link to Post #119
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

James Webb Telescope fires thrusters to reach final stop a million miles from Earth and begins orbit around sun.

The world's most powerful space telescope has reached its final stop - one million miles from Earth - a month after setting off on its historic voyage.
    The James Webb Telescope fired rocket thrusters for about five minutes in a final course correction to enter orbit around the sun, with NASA confirming it had gone to plan.
    Flight controllers back in Baltimore celebrated and NASA administrator Bill Nelson said it meant "we're one step closer to uncovering the mysteries of the universe".

https://news.sky.com/story/james-web...d-sun-12524664

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Ankle Biter (26th January 2022), leavesoftrees (26th January 2022), The KMan (26th January 2022)

39. Link to Post #120
    Language
    Thanks

• Mission Update: James Webb Has Reached Its Final Destination!

James Webb Space Telescope Mission Update: At 2 p.m. EST on January 24, Webb's thrusters were fired by ground operators for the L2 orbit insertion. James Webb has completed the burn and has been successfully placed in orbit around the L2 Lagrange point. With this, all the 344 single-point-failure items have retired. James Webb Space Telescope was launched on Christmas Day 2021 aboard an Ariane 5 rocket from French Guiana. On its million-mile trip to the L2 point, Webb completed the deployment of its sunshield, primary mirror, secondary mirror, and mirror adjustments. Webb will now calibrate its instruments and cool down further to make IR observations. The telescope parts that observe the sky will be at -233 ºC or 40 K. However, one of the instruments (MIRI) will cool down to 6.7 kelvins. The first thing that James Webb will see:

¤=[Post Update]=¤
    • Black Hole That's Creating Stars Instead of Destroying Them:

• another JWST candidate?

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th February 2022), The KMan (27th January 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 6 16 17 LastLast