+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it just me? (Logging in/ confirming things twice now)

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,963 times in 638 posts

Default Is it just me? (Logging in/ confirming things twice now)

...are we having to confirm everything twice now by phone. Has this been the case
    for a while now in the UK, but it seems this new intense authenticating appears to be recent.

Since the start of DEC, I appear to be having to confirm/authenticate logging
    in to various online social platforms, ebay, paypal, my bank and more by logging in via the standard login and also having to authenticatie by receiving an SMS or call to my phone.

Also appears transactions on paypal showing up in FB messenger now too.

I hear that SYSTEM MECHANIC PRIVACY GUARDIAN is a useful tool for helping
    to reduce the amount of personal data being gathered and collected from your PC browsers, cookies and what google et al attempt to gather about you.

Any thoughts on the above?

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Anka (3rd January 2021), avid (3rd January 2021), Bill Ryan (3rd January 2021), Brigantia (4th January 2021), daddy-keith (3rd January 2021), gord (4th January 2021), Harmony (4th January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (3rd January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), Sadieblue (3rd January 2021), selinam (3rd January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (3rd January 2021), Tintin (3rd January 2021), toppy (3rd January 2021), Trisher (4th January 2021), wondering (4th January 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 times in 191 posts

Default Re: Is it just me? (Logging in/ confirming things twice now)

Yes I agree with you. Double verification on stuff like banking for sure.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to selinam For This Post:

avid (3rd January 2021), Bill Ryan (3rd January 2021), Brigantia (4th January 2021), daddy-keith (3rd January 2021), Harmony (4th January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (3rd January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), Sadieblue (3rd January 2021), scotslad (3rd January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (3rd January 2021), Tintin (3rd January 2021), toppy (3rd January 2021), Trisher (4th January 2021), wondering (4th January 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,480 times in 2,545 posts

I had just finished up with logging in and checking on an account, and had to do the phone code verification with it for the first time, when I went to PA and saw your thread, Scotslad!

Was wondering if this was going to be permanent for that account now.
    It just seems to me like another additional hassle to complicate our lives in this age of de digital monster. <sigh>

I miss simplicity.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Anka (3rd January 2021), avid (3rd January 2021), Bill Ryan (3rd January 2021), Brigantia (4th January 2021), daddy-keith (3rd January 2021), gord (4th January 2021), Harmony (4th January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), Sadieblue (3rd January 2021), scotslad (3rd January 2021), selinam (3rd January 2021), Tintin (3rd January 2021), toppy (3rd January 2021), Trisher (4th January 2021), wondering (4th January 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,963 times in 638 posts

It appears to be a greater control and manipulation of us through our phones, forcing us to change habits and to use our phones more and to indoctrinate us to verify and confirm everything using our phone.

Not just a phone or camera, but a passport, id card, homing beacon, personal tracker and more now. that informs BIG DATA companies what you're ordering, doing, where you're going, were your money goes, how you spend your time, and today (having just moved house) I asked Alexa "how many cats do we have inside this house" - and it replied 3 ! (the correct answer) and we've never had a conversation to alexa before regarding our cats.

SKY now enable you to have fast fibre broadband, manage your telephone account - free calls up to 59 mins and now in addition to the terrestial/digital FREEVIEW channels they have all the wads of channels many now forcing you to upgrade to watch the sport, movies and other niche channels.

Also TESCO now at Xmas were offering over 50% discount to their club card members on nice single malts, and witnessed a few folk signing up for the tesco club card app to qualify for many of the xmas discounts at the checkout. - Aye, Big brother is watching, listening, manipulating us to rely on our mobile devices - even now getting us to pay moving us faster and faster to be dependent on technology and towards a cashless society.

Today we went for a long walk with the dog along the seafront of our new house - wind in our gills, salty sea air, noise of the waves crashing - cold nip in the air, but it felt good, awesome and awakened the soul, a spiritual release from our apparent cocooning lifestyle we appear to be adopting.

Here's hoping 2021 becomes a more liberating and spiritually uplifting experience for many as we prefer to lift our heads, step away from the keyboard, switch our phones off - and relearn to communicate with our fellow humans in person and not just by Zoom, skype or FB messenger

Wot u reckon...?

8. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd January 2021), Brigantia (4th January 2021), daddy-keith (3rd January 2021), Franny (4th January 2021), gord (4th January 2021), Harmony (4th January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th January 2021), onevoice (4th January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), selinam (3rd January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th January 2021), Tintin (3rd January 2021), toppy (4th January 2021), Trisher (4th January 2021), wondering (4th January 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,574 times in 2,645 posts

Phone banking keep you talking for voice recognition. Tesco and banks have driven me mad with verification stuff lately, takes forever to do transactions.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd January 2021), Brigantia (4th January 2021), daddy-keith (3rd January 2021), Franny (4th January 2021), gord (4th January 2021), Harmony (4th January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), scotslad (3rd January 2021), selinam (3rd January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th January 2021), Tintin (3rd January 2021), toppy (4th January 2021), Trisher (4th January 2021), wondering (4th January 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,979 times in 781 posts

Here in Canada to login to my Government of Canada accounts student loans, taxation etc I have to use a "trusted partner" IE my bank. I am often prompted for 2 factor authorization for email and other websites. This means I am emailed a single use code with another one to my phone via SMS...and then sometimes I have to perform a "captcha" to prove I am human.

Recently banks are asking for us to sign up for voice print verification. Which is honestly banal as "they" can get that from any phone call I make but there "may" be something specific to Canada where that must be volunteered.

I was at a hospital over the last few days and we have "health cards" with magnetic stripes. I had to loon into the monitor to choose the reason for my visit. I am convinced I saw a camera within the touch screen looking at me...looking at it.

As an aside we have had mag stripes on our Health Cards for over a decade...but unlike a credit card we are never shown what is being billed. I think I should get a receipt with a list of goods and services and sign for it. This would reduce over billing and help people understand some of the costs of healthcare even when it is "free".

But I am sure my face print is more valuable...I think I walked by 20 cameras around the emergency department. Which was essentially empty if anyone is tracking that.

I daresay we are getting closer and closer to continual surveillance and monitoring ALL the time.
    Phones as trackers of movement, call history, emails, "health apps" sleep and walking tracking apps, diet apps and every like, post or interst we engage with on the web or social media with out friends and families all integrated together.

Are they profiling for dissidents? I don't know but between marketing and consumer profiling with alphabet soup agencies, spyware and hardware backdoors my 8 year old computer runs faster than 2 year old computer hahaha....

Now, if you do not engage with these technologies....I would expect you are immediately suspect and flagged. This is really not that farfetched.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

avid (4th January 2021), Brigantia (4th January 2021), Franny (4th January 2021), gord (4th January 2021), Harmony (4th January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), scotslad (4th January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th January 2021), toppy (4th January 2021), Trisher (4th January 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,190 times in 437 posts

I have also had trouble with this. I have a very simple phone bought just for banking etc. It is not a smart phone and does not connect to the internet. The other day I was attempting to get into an account and I answered the password, the email and ticked I was not a robot and it sent me a text which I had to "tap" to confirm. It took me nearly an hour on the landline to get my account back to an email confirmation with three customer support people unable to help as my phone was not a smart phone. I call it a retrograde into the future.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Brigantia (4th January 2021), gord (4th January 2021), Harmony (4th January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th January 2021), pueblo (4th January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), scotslad (4th January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th January 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,997 times in 2,140 posts

Yes, everything online now wants your phone number.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Brigantia (4th January 2021), gord (4th January 2021), Harmony (4th January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), scotslad (4th January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th January 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,793 times in 1,324 posts

I was led to believe that the reason for all this malarkey was EU regulation for 'consumer protection' (that's what my bank told me when I complained); even though we've left the EU, much of their regulation is still enshrined in UK law.

Even though I've got the bank account to send me a text to my non-smart phone, I haven't received one yet so have to opt for a call to my landline. For one account I've had to phone up to get alternate means to get a one-time code, and it usually takes an age now to get through to any organisation "due to Covid".

Yes, I miss simplicity too Sue, very much so.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

gord (4th January 2021), pueblo (4th January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), scotslad (4th January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th January 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,881 times in 612 posts

What annoys me the most are the discount cards you have to get to shop at different stores. Every store has a card, want the discount, have to have a card. Every card wants your email and phone number.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Brigantia (4th January 2021), Franny (4th January 2021), gord (4th January 2021), pueblo (4th January 2021), RunningDeer (4th January 2021), scotslad (4th January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th January 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,292 times in 18,139 posts

I discovered that it’s less hassle to use the same computer for banking. For example, if I switch to my iPad to log on to the checking account then I have to verify by phone and again verify my main computer the next time.

Every few days under preference in my browser, I’ll remove all website data which is used to track browsing. I also clear history on my web browser daily.

I don’t use the Siri feature on my computers nor would I invite Alexa into my home.

I don’t use a personal grocery card for extra gas points or discounts. Instead at the self-check out I hit the “I forgot my card” button or the cashier uses the generic card.

Recently, I broke down and replaced my 17 year old flip cell phone because I had to drive three miles down the road for it to work. Over the last couple of years there’s an increase of losing electricity, landline phone and internet services, so I needed a reliable back up cell phone to report outages. Since the Covid-19 restrictions, the phone company added another layer of hassle. They supply the tools, parts and walk you through the steps by cell phone to fix the land-line phone all while they stand outside.

I don’t download apps nor use the cell phone for banking. When I’m out, I keep it in my pocketbook which has an RFID section for things like credit cards, cell phone, mini-computer or Kindle type devices.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 4th January 2021 at 20:20.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Brigantia (4th January 2021), Franny (4th January 2021), Hym (5th January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th January 2021), onevoice (4th January 2021), scotslad (4th January 2021)

+ Reply to Thread