Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do Not Resuscitate

1. Link to Post #21
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,971 times in 1,706 posts

Default Re: Do Not Resuscitate

Quote Posted by Old Student (here)
    Quote Two members of my family have had DNR on their notes who have both died. This relates to Bournemouth Hospital in Dorset, UK.
    This may vary between countries, but in the United States, DNR orders are a statement that the patient has made in consultation with their doctor. In other words, nobody has a DNR that has not explicitly asked their doctor for it, and no doctor can sign a DNR for a patient unless the patient has a terminal disease or condition.

They also expire. In the United States, DNR's at maximum last for a year. We are supposed to check one, if presented, both for validity (signatures and form) and for expiration date.
    Was not true in the case with my Dad, who lived in the U.S.
    They were signing DNR papers (nurse and my step-mom) without my Dad's consent, when I got wind of what was happening.
    I couldn't believe it!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th January 2021), Brenya (9th January 2021), Harmony (9th January 2021), Journeyman (9th January 2021)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by DaveToo (here)
    Quote Two members of my family have had DNR on their notes who have both died. This relates to Bournemouth Hospital in Dorset, UK.
    This may vary between countries, but in the United States, DNR orders are a statement that the patient has made in consultation with their doctor. In other words, nobody has a DNR that has not explicitly asked their doctor for it, and no doctor can sign a DNR for a patient unless the patient has a terminal disease or condition.

They also expire. In the United States, DNR's at maximum last for a year. We are supposed to check one, if presented, both for validity (signatures and form) and for expiration date.
    They were signing DNR papers (nurse and my step-mom) without my Dad's consent, when I got wind of what was happening.
    I couldn't believe it!
    my DNR is eternal, specifically to avoid the situation you went through.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th January 2021), DaveToo (9th January 2021), Harmony (9th January 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DaveToo (here)

I couldn't believe it!
    I believe that. Here's another issue--a person can buy DNR bracelets or wallet cards from Amazon (and elsewhere), and how does the EMS team know if they are backed by a valid (legal) DNR, or not? Virtually any EMT who ran across a DNR bracelet isn't going to go the extra length to resuscitate a person who's coding.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brenya For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th January 2021), Ron Mauer Sr (11th January 2021), wondering (11th January 2021)

7. Link to Post #24
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

It seems it does not work the same in Canada. A DNR is not required here. We have control of the patient in terms of how far the doctors can go to save the life of a loved one.

For instance, when my wife went into intensive care at the hospital, the head doctor came over and asked me how far I wished them to go to save my wife's life. I did not even understand the question. Of course I wanted them to do everything they could to bring my babe back from the brink. I did not know the consequences of that assertion until days later...when by which time my wife had six IVs going, a neck IV included in the jugular, and a trachea tube down her throat and her arms tied to the bed. Propofol and other drugs were administered to induce coma, and my wife was in for the ride of her life, literally and figuratively.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

wondering (11th January 2021)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,265 times in 2,136 posts

I want to do a good job, that always feels good.

I like DNR, just an opportunity for R&R and to remember ...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HS Reminder.png
Views:	15
Size:	552.5 KB
ID:	45779

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

avid (11th January 2021), Ernie Nemeth (11th January 2021), wondering (11th January 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2