+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: How many languages do you speak?

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 times in 144 posts

Default Re: How many languages do you speak?

Southern only.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Perdido For This Post:

Ankle Biter (10th July 2021), Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Bluegreen (21st January 2021), Brigantia (21st January 2021), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th February 2021), Hym (22nd January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (21st January 2021)

3. Link to Post #42
    Turkey Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 times in 216 posts

let's see... turkish (i may be the only one on the forum), english, italian (mi piace italiano!), a quarter of german.

also i can easily survive in greece, thanks to watching a lot greek tv when i was a child

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Feritciva For This Post:

Ankle Biter (10th July 2021), Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Bluegreen (21st January 2021), Brigantia (21st January 2021), Hym (22nd January 2021), I am B (21st January 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (21st January 2021), palehorse (22nd January 2021)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Out of curiosity, would someone be willing to be my study buddy for Spanish? Frankly I'm not sure I want to do this because I value my privacy/anonymity but I wanted to go ahead and ask. Shoot me a PM if you're willing. Thanks in advance.

I found others on the Duolingo app that want to be study buddys but frankly 1 they're strangers and 2 I think they're teens and I'd feel weird communicating with them.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (31st January 2021), Ankle Biter (10th July 2021), Bill Ryan (10th July 2021)

7. Link to Post #44
    Language
    English
    Thanks

So, I figure when I go about my daily activities I'm going to do my best to 'think' in Spanish. This should help determine what areas I need to work on. I've been practising as much as I can in person but that's a bit rare, about a sentence here and there once per week. I'm working on the language as much as possible, it's a lot of fun but it takes a long time.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2021)

9. Link to Post #45
    Language
    English
    Thanks

OK I can no longer resist, I have been watching this thread for a while now trying not to make a frivolous post , BUT here goes , I speak 3 languages, English my mother tongue, French adequately, but I am fluent in bollocks!

A very old joke but I just could not resist , sorry, but on a serious note learning French, was probably the most difficult thing I attempted in my life, My wife is French and I have lived here for 20 years and it is still a challenge, my advice for any one wa tinb to be multilingual is to start very young with multilingual parents

¤=[Post Update]=¤

OK I can no longer resist, I have been watching this thread for a while now trying not to make a frivolous post , BUT here goes , I speak 3 languages, English my mother tongue, French adequately, but I am fluent in bollocks!

A very old joke but I just could not resist , sorry, but on a serious note learning French, was probably the most difficult thing I attempted in my life, My wife is French and I have lived here for 20 years and it is still a challenge, my advice for any one wanting to be multilingual is to start very young with multilingual parents

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sijohn For This Post:

Ankle Biter (10th July 2021), Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Bluegreen (22nd February 2021), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th February 2021), I am B (22nd February 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (25th February 2021), Strat (22nd February 2021)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,000 times in 335 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    So, I figure when I go about my daily activities I'm going to do my best to 'think' in Spanish. This should help determine what areas I need to work on. I've been practising as much as I can in person but that's a bit rare, about a sentence here and there once per week. I'm working on the language as much as possible, it's a lot of fun but it takes a long time.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
    There are some (preety much all of them) quality dubbed films in spanish amigo ^^ I'd advise to watch or even play them on the background if you feel like so. The more you know the film the better, since you can relate the meaning to the words directly. And no subs!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I am B For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Hym (23rd February 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (25th February 2021), Strat (22nd February 2021)

13. Link to Post #47
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by I am B (here)
    There are some (preety much all of them) quality dubbed films in spanish amigo ^^ I'd advise to watch or even play them on the background if you feel like so. The more you know the film the better, since you can relate the meaning to the words directly. And no subs!
    Ahh, good advice. Jurassic Park en espanol here I come!

I've discovered reading Spanish isn't too difficult, it is slow going but I can decipher it so to speak. When I try speaking with native Speakers it's very challenging. I enjoy it though. I love culture, food, art (also, women) and all that. I've found that when you speak the language you get the VIP entrance so to speak.

I don't mean to bump this thread too much but can you check this out for me, I'm trying to work on ordering food. I used to say yo quiero but that's a bit rude. How do I use puedo properly?:
    Puedo tiene un empanada de pollo? I used to say Yo quiero un empanada de pollo but apparently that's kinda rude. Fortunately I'm friendly and haven't stepped on any toes (yet). I'm pretty good at putting smiles on faces.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), I am B (23rd February 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (25th February 2021)

15. Link to Post #48
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Ahh, good advice. Jurassic Park en espanol here I come!

I've discovered reading Spanish isn't too difficult, it is slow going but I can decipher it so to speak. When I try speaking with native Speakers it's very challenging. I enjoy it though. I love culture, food, art (also, women) and all that. I've found that when you speak the language you get the VIP entrance so to speak.

I don't mean to bump this thread too much but can you check this out for me, I'm trying to work on ordering food. I used to say yo quiero but that's a bit rude. How do I use puedo properly?:
    Puedo tiene un empanada de pollo? I used to say Yo quiero un empanada de pollo but apparently that's kinda rude. Fortunately I'm friendly and haven't stepped on any toes (yet). I'm pretty good at putting smiles on faces.
    You could say "me preparas una empanada de pollo por favor? Or "Hola, podrias preparame una empanada de pollo?

But if you know the person working there i dont see much wrong in saying "hola, tienes empanadas d pollo? Me das una por favor?"

But most of my friends simply say "me das una empanada de pollo por favor" and then once it's delivered they just say "gracias"

So instead of "quiero 5 tacos" they say "me preparas 5 tacos por favor" or "me das 5 tacos" and once prepared then "gracias" and then you eat them in 5 seconds and ask for 5 more...
    Last edited by Mashika; 22nd February 2021 at 19:03.
    Tired

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Eva2 (24th August 2021), Hym (23rd February 2021), I am B (23rd February 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (25th February 2021), Kryztian (25th February 2021), Strat (22nd February 2021), Wind (22nd February 2021)

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,000 times in 335 posts

Exactly! And you could use the conditional like you would in english too: "I'd like to take 69 tacos please" - "Me gustaría tomar 69 tacos por favor" , or with can/could, "Could you serve me 666 tacos please? " - "Podria servirme/ponerme 666 tacos por favor? "

Otherwise "yo quiero una empanada" its not specially rude if you say por favor at the end of it ^^ i'd say its the most natural of them all.

Finally in spain's spanish (not 100% sure the rest do) we say "pongame" (put me) as a polite way to say "give me/serve me"

Keep the learning up! And don't get too lost on grammar and technicisms, practice will be what makes you learn.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I am B For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th February 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (25th February 2021), Strat (23rd February 2021)

19. Link to Post #50
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    once prepared then "gracias" and then you eat them in 5 seconds and ask for 5 more...
    Lol, there's something we have in common.

Exactly! And you could use the conditional like you would in english too: "I'd like to take 69 tacos please" - "Me gustaría tomar 69 tacos por favor" , or with can/could, "Could you serve me 666 tacos please? " - "Podria servirme/ponerme 666 tacos por favor? "
    Food truly brings all cultures together.

I have some confusion about the usage of mi as apposed to yo... I'll just keep practising. Here's some fun pics for you guys.

Este es la comida Mexicana yo comprar:

Dos tacos para mi y dos para mi madre. She's visited Mexico in the past and she says they taste the same so she loves them.

However, I've moved on from tacos and now I devour tortas. I cannot articulate how amazingly delicious this sandwich is. Yes, I also got empenadas because I mean why not and also Saturday is my 'cheat day' which means I ignore my diet that day.

Last edited by Strat; 24th February 2021 at 21:23.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (28th February 2021), Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th February 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (25th February 2021), Kryztian (25th February 2021), Mashika (25th February 2021)

21. Link to Post #51
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,260 times in 1,397 posts

English, and bad English, Latin, and bad Latin, French and bad French so what is that? Six!? HA!!!
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Ankle Biter (10th July 2021), Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Bluegreen (25th February 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (25th February 2021), Mashika (25th February 2021), Strat (25th February 2021)

23. Link to Post #52
    Portugal Avalon Member gs_powered's Avatar
    Thanks

Portuguese and English

Was lucky that the school I attended made English lessons available to young kids and that my parents thought it would be something good for me.

As well as John, I also believe there is knowledge that is kept from being understood due to the languages barrier, sadly.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gs_powered For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Bluegreen (25th February 2021), Deborah (ahamkara) (25th February 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (25th February 2021), Strat (25th February 2021)

25. Link to Post #53
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,881 times in 612 posts

When I was learning Chinese in college, I sang happy birthday in Chinese to a dear friend. When he got done laughing he told me I had offered oral sex.....Chinese is hard!
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Anka (28th February 2021), Ankle Biter (10th July 2021), Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Bluegreen (25th February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (25th February 2021), Eva2 (10th July 2021), Strat (25th February 2021), Sue (Ayt) (25th February 2021)

27. Link to Post #54
    Language
    Mandarin
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    Maybe you can ask everybody which new language would you want to learn if you had the time and why ....

My new language would be Mandarin Chinese ... not because I "love CCP" (I don't) nor worship their Orwellian Dystopian style of government but for many other reasons!

• Learn to read Chinese ... with ease! | ShaoLan

• ShaoLan's Chineasy: Lesson 1

I always felt there will be something very special coming out of China NOT from the "government" nor from any big corporation but from the people who want to be free!

cheers,
    John
    I was born in China and yes I am still learning the language.

I met many foreingers who are fluent in Mandarin, much better than the average Chinese do. They inspire me to study more.

BTW, I think music is beyond any words.
    what I want or what I am.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lizhekb For This Post:

Anka (12th July 2021), Ankle Biter (10th July 2021), Bill Ryan (10th July 2021), Bluegreen (11th July 2021), BoR (24th August 2021), ExomatrixTV (10th July 2021), I am B (10th July 2021), Strat (24th August 2021)

29. Link to Post #55
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

Greek and, English.. plus, I've spent some time around speakers of Mandarin and can catch some words and even sometimes phrases, 2 times out of 10 will know how the conversation is going. It's very hard to learn. However, I can order a cold beer, some hot pot or beef noodles and figured it was enough.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Anka (12th July 2021), Bluegreen (11th July 2021), BoR (24th August 2021), Strat (24th August 2021)

31. Link to Post #56
    China Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 times in 1,022 posts

Oh, to me, I only can speak Chinese and some simple English.

I once learnt some simple Japanese phrases.

But I still love English more.

Chinese is very very difficult for me to totally understand though I am a Chinese.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xidaijena For This Post:

Bluegreen (24th August 2021), BoR (24th August 2021), Eva2 (24th August 2021), Strat (24th August 2021)

33. Link to Post #57
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 times in 263 posts

Just because the shortest message cannot be less than 10 characters: 4

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s7e6e For This Post:

Bluegreen (24th August 2021), Strat (24th August 2021)

35. Link to Post #58
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 times in 139 posts

Native language = Dutch (100% fluent (of course)), Second language = English (100% fluent), then French which has unfortunately become a little rusty now, since I only used it while in France, the French part of Belgium and Quebec (when I was there for a month). Last time I was in France was in 2018, and unfortunately it looks like I won’t come there for a while, if ever, let alone in Quebec, since we are now in full blown armageddon and all… although… I might flee to France if the people’s revolution turns out to be succesfull over there (I have no idea what will happen here if the government goes completely tyrannical).

But back on topic, I love the French language a lot, and I still expose myself to it in a way because I like to listen to French music.

After French comes Spanish, which has sunk a lot deeper since I never really used it. I’ve never been in any Spanish speaking country in my life, but I learned the language in college, by choice, because it’s a world language and I thought I would use it…

Then comes German, I studied that language a lot less than Spanish, but because it has many similarities with Dutch, I understand German much better, so I actually should have mentioned German before Spanish.

And last comes….Danish! I kind of fell in love with the language when I was in France (yes, the last time I was there in 2018), do you still follow me? Yes, you read that correctly, I fell in love with the Danish language when I was in France. I was waiting in line at a car rental service and before me, there were some Danish people. I heard them speak and in the first few seconds I thought they were Dutch, but… I couldn’t decipher what they said. Then I recognized they were speaking Danish and while listening I just loved the sounds and the melody of the sentences. So I started learning the language through some apps, I went to Kopenhagen for a few days, but when the covid situation hit, my incentive to get on with it was gone. Though I am now picking it up again. Learning to pronounce Danish is a challenge, because the way the words are written and pronounced can be confusing when you’re starting to learn, because of the silent consonants. But I love the way Danish sounds, and I really like the Danish people. So much that if Denmark was further south instead of north, I might even have considered moving there. But maybe I will after all, because right now it seems they have lifted all covid restrictions, although I do fear (with no fear) that is only temporary…

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BoR For This Post:

Bluegreen (24th August 2021), Eva2 (24th August 2021), Strat (24th August 2021), Wind (24th August 2021), xidaijena (24th August 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3