+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 8 10 LastLast

Thread: Are some animals not as magical as others?

1. Link to Post #141
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

Default Re: Are some animals not as magical as others?

They’re dragonflies.

https://wallup.net/dragonfly-macro-eyes-face/

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Quote Posted by Jill (here)
    Not sure what this is - stick insect, mantis of some sort - but sure wouldn't want it on my back:

Jill, this may be why a number of your images no longer come up. When I copy and paste the image address, this is the explanation:

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Thanks for the heads up Running Deer and sorry for all the "blanks". I copy the image link when I post but I see that does not always work. I'll stop posting images until I figure this out.

Mod note from Bill:
    I'm not clear how to work around the time-limiter, which sometimes seems to be built into the URLs (the links) that you copy and post. (I assume that if that was missed out, i.e. deleted out of the URL, it'd not work at all.)
    But do please by all means use the Sandbox thread to experiment! I'd absolutely not want you to stop posting all your wonderful photos and videos.

Talk about the universe working in mysterious ways! I was literally about to PM you Jill, with an apology for never thanking any of your posts. They are almost all blank for me, and I had assumed they were from Facebook or Twitter - I literally have them classed as untrusted in my browser.

Re: the bug-eyed insect. I looked up larval stages and young of both mantids and grasshoppers - it was neither of those. So by a process of elimination we've knocked two off the list of 12,647,611 potentials. Not sure I have the time nor patience to go through the rest though.

Note: the number 12,647,611 was invented - its probably far more.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Ankle Biter (26th January 2022), Bill Ryan (26th January 2022), Eva2 (26th January 2022), Ewan (26th January 2022), RunningDeer (26th January 2022), wondering (26th January 2022)

3. Link to Post #142
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,800 times in 2,559 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    This is not a very magical animal. This 1932 photo shows a giant anaconda killed in Brazil, near the Venezuelan border, that was 40m (130 ft) long. It rather makes the Titanoboa (see the video above!) look like someone's pet.

Wow, I assume this is a dead one! I recall an old photo that Arthur C. Clarke had exhibited at some point from the Brazilian Amazon. I think it may even have been posted on one of the animal threads . It showed an enormous snake coiled, reaching up towards a helicopter hovering above it. Maybe this is one of these snakes that has emerged from deep in the Amazon.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Ankle Biter (26th January 2022), Bill Ryan (26th January 2022), Innocent Warrior (26th January 2022), Johnnycomelately (17th February 2022), RunningDeer (26th January 2022)

5. Link to Post #143
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Innocent Warrior (here)
    They’re dragonflies.

https://wallup.net/dragonfly-macro-eyes-face/

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Not sure what this is - stick insect, mantis of some sort - but sure wouldn't want it on my back:

Jill, this may be why a number of your images no longer come up. When I copy and paste the image address, this is the explanation:

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Thanks for the heads up Running Deer and sorry for all the "blanks". I copy the image link when I post but I see that does not always work. I'll stop posting images until I figure this out.

Mod note from Bill:
    I'm not clear how to work around the time-limiter, which sometimes seems to be built into the URLs (the links) that you copy and post. (I assume that if that was missed out, i.e. deleted out of the URL, it'd not work at all.)
    But do please by all means use the Sandbox thread to experiment! I'd absolutely not want you to stop posting all your wonderful photos and videos.

Talk about the universe working in mysterious ways! I was literally about to PM you Jill, with an apology for never thanking any of your posts. They are almost all blank for me, and I had assumed they were from Facebook or Twitter - I literally have them classed as untrusted in my browser.

Re: the bug-eyed insect. I looked up larval stages and young of both mantids and grasshoppers - it was neither of those. So by a process of elimination we've knocked two off the list of 12,647,611 potentials. Not sure I have the time nor patience to go through the rest though.

Note: the number 12,647,611 was invented - its probably far more.
    IW, Oh, thanks so much for the comment. Yeah, I pretty much stopped posting images as I couldn't figure it out. Although Franny and RD did kindly give me detailed and extensive instructions on possible ways to correct this, I'm pretty dense with technology and I still couldn't figure it out. Clearly that part of my brain doesn't work so well . Once in awhile I still post an image or two just to see how long it lasts but I don't want to do that too much since I seem to be starting a collection of empty boxes which is annoying for the viewer. Thank you for digging up the dragonfly pics - and you are probably right as some of the pics are sent to me over FB. I will probably be wrapping up my account there this year. I'm glad you got to save one of them!!

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Ankle Biter (26th January 2022), Bill Ryan (26th January 2022), Harmony (26th January 2022), Innocent Warrior (26th January 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th January 2022), RunningDeer (26th January 2022), wondering (26th January 2022)

7. Link to Post #144
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,545 times in 20,693 posts

I just discovered recently that time-dated images I've posted which eventually disappeared could be found and pasted back in again so long as I knew the name of what the image was-- I could do a search and find it if it was rare enough.
    Of course, the second image will last only as long as that one is time-dated for.
    Each breath a gift...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th January 2022), Eva2 (26th January 2022), Harmony (26th January 2022), Johnnycomelately (17th February 2022), RunningDeer (26th January 2022), wondering (26th January 2022)

9. Link to Post #145
    Thanks

This is Charlotte. She is a huntsman spider and lives in house where she goes from room to room eating bugs. Charlotte is still growing:

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th February 2022), DaveToo (17th February 2022), Harmony (17th February 2022), Johnnycomelately (17th February 2022), onawah (17th February 2022), RunningDeer (17th February 2022), wondering (17th February 2022)

11. Link to Post #146
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,305 times in 18,139 posts

It sorta looks tech/AI.

This is Charlotte. She is a huntsman spider and lives in house where she goes from room to room eating bugs. Charlotte is still growing:
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 17th February 2022 at 16:27.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (17th February 2022), Kryztian (21st February 2022), wondering (17th February 2022)

13. Link to Post #147
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,317 times in 4,085 posts

We uses phrases, metaphors and similes from nature to describe life; we say things like "it's like the birds and the bees".

We don't say it's like the fish and eels to describe anything. From this video I can see why. I'm sat here wondering what I've just seen lol. Is it rude or just their way of saying hello? I don't know if I should feel embarrassed watching it or not

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (21st February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), modini (11th March 2022), onawah (21st February 2022), RunningDeer (21st February 2022), Spiral (21st February 2022)

15. Link to Post #148
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,229 times in 912 posts

I'll never be able to unsee this...😳😳😳😳

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), onawah (21st February 2022), RunningDeer (21st February 2022)

17. Link to Post #149
    Language
    English
    Thanks

That is unbelievably gross.
    How in the world do those fish survive with an eel living inside them?
    And why would they pass it from one to the other?
    Each breath a gift...

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), Matthew (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (22nd February 2022), wondering (21st February 2022)

19. Link to Post #150
    Thanks

And what are they doing coming up out of earth?? So many things to ponder, or not.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), Matthew (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (22nd February 2022)

21. Link to Post #151
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    That is unbelievably gross.
    How in the world do those fish survive with an eel living inside them?
    And why would they pass it from one to the other?
    Quote Posted by wondering (here)
    And what are they doing coming up out of earth?? So many things to ponder, or not.
    Is it computer rendered? That's where my best assumption is at the moment lol. Sea creatures can get pretty weird though, I believe it twice before I doubt it

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), onawah (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (22nd February 2022)

23. Link to Post #152
    Thanks

Apparently there is a YT channel from India called Discovery Site where this video originated. It is said it is replete with other fake videos....just sayin'. This is from Google, and we know Google only tells the truth.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), DaveToo (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), Matthew (22nd February 2022), onawah (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (22nd February 2022)

25. Link to Post #153
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Apparently there is a YT channel from India called Discovery Site where this video originated. It is said it is replete with other fake videos....just sayin'. This is from Google, and we know Google only tells the truth.
    That makes perfect sense, that it is fakery of some kind. Sorry everyone, I assumed it was sea creatures being weird, doing what they do best but this is too weird for even them. But presuming a fake, what a great parody of sea creature weirdness . I posted a fake, sorry everyone

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), onawah (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (22nd February 2022)

27. Link to Post #154
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Matthew (here)
    That makes perfect sense, that it is fakery of some kind. Sorry everyone, I assumed it was sea creatures being weird, doing what they do best but this is too weird for even them. But presuming a fake, what a great parody of sea creature weirdness . I posted a fake, sorry everyone
    I'd seen this before somewhere (probably on google) and as I (vaguely) recall the fish are actually dead and the eel eats them from the inside (or maybe lays eggs inside) or something like that. I can't remember the details of what this is all about but do recall it being a grisly end for the fish - nature's horror show!

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), Matthew (22nd February 2022), onawah (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (22nd February 2022)

29. Link to Post #155
    Language
    English
    Thanks

But if that is the case, how would the second fish, the one that is about to receive the eel, surface from under the sand if it's dead?

Quote Posted by Matthew (here)
    I'd seen this before somewhere (probably on google) and as I (vaguely) recall the fish are actually dead and the eel eats them from the inside (or maybe lays eggs inside) or something like that. I can't remember the details of what this is all about but do recall it being a grisly end for the fish - nature's horror show!
    Each breath a gift...

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), Matthew (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (22nd February 2022)

31. Link to Post #156
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The reality of this video with two fish and an eel is worse
    • by archyw
    • April 9, 2021
    • source

These days a strange video starring two fish and an eel is going viral. The video is unpleasant, disturbing, and gross enough, but you’ll be glad to hear it isn’t. shows natural behavior. The problem is, that leaves us with a lot of questions about how it was recorded.

But let’s start at the beginning. This is the video. Before you run to play, warn yourself that some people may find your content extremely unpleasant. Even if you are a fierce Internet user who has already seen everything, the clip is one of those that are creepy.

The original video is It is, and belongs to a channel called Discovery Site. The channel in question was founded in August 2020, and has a handful more videos which I miss. All of them starring fish and showing supposed very bizarre fishing techniques.

If seeing fish coming out of the ground sounds like something to you, it’s because you’ve seen it before. In November 2019, a video in which an individual was seen removing several fish from a flooded hole went viral on the ground by the strange procedure of throwing Coca-Cola and Mentos in the hole. In its day many media (including this same house) reasoned that the hole connected with a nearby river and that the fish were attracted by the bait (an egg in this case), and then forced out of the water suffocating them by suddenly adding air with the mixture of Mentos and Coca-Cola.
    G/O Media may get a commission

The reality, however, is that we ate a fake like a castle and that what we saw in that video was a prepared scene in which they first dug a hole and then threw the fish there. An investigation carried out by Futurism It suggests that the entire video was a montage that uses previously caught live fish and that what it shows has a fishing technique what I am an aeronautical engineer.

We will probably never know for sure, because Technique Tools, the channel that showed that video, disappeared from YouTube and his account was terminated for violating the terms of service. Considering the content it was showing, it is very likely that YouTube kicked it off its platform after receiving not a few complaints for animal abuse.

However, there are more channels similar to Technique Tools already Discovery Site. The oldest is ironically called Fisherman Animal Lover and has dozens of similar videos. All of them repeat the scheme of showing little credible fishing techniques and live fish doing very bizarre. All these channels they have an additional thing in common: they come from India.

What are we seeing then in this video? Of course it is not 3D nor does it seem that there is any post-production. Which leaves us with a much more stomachic reality. As they explain in Snopes, the scene seems dramatized and with a very specific script. In other words, someone has bothered to bury two fish in loose and damp sand, leaving the arms of some one called colaborador out of plane to be able to push them up as if they came out of the ground. The part of making an eel pop out of an eel’s mouth or to enter someone else’s it can be done if you have enough stomach to cut the fish in half and introduce the eel upwards through the digestive tract. The big question is if the fish are already dead and someone is manipulating them from within as if they were gloves or they were still alive when they were cut and put the eel in them. If it really is the latter, the false shots of these videos have nothing to envy of Cannibal holocaust.

The details of how it was done in fact they are the least. The reality is that the behavior we see in these videos is far from being natural and that we play at making strange scenes by forcing live (or dead) animals it is a form of leisure that’s enough very questionable. Reality is often even worse than fiction.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th March 2022), Matthew (22nd February 2022), wondering (11th March 2022)

33. Link to Post #157
    Language
    English
    Thanks

STRANGEST Animals That Are Hard To Believe Are REAL! (12 min)
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 22nd February 2022 at 03:31.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd February 2022), Eva2 (22nd February 2022), Harmony (22nd February 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th March 2022), Matthew (22nd February 2022), Operator (23rd February 2022), wondering (11th March 2022)

35. Link to Post #158
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Stick, Snake or caterpillar? (1 min)
    Finally met the snake mimic caterpillar! Larva of a sphinx hawk moth (Hemeroplanes triptolemus). Thanks to Jake, Mike and Will who found the thing out in the ACR Maijuna on the Rio Napo, Peru.
    Shout out to Bluegreen for the Furry Snake post.

Quote Posted by Bluegreen (here)
    Strange Green Furry Snake Discovered in Thailand
    A mysterious furry green snake was found floating in a swamp in Thailand. The bizarre 2ft-long creature had a frilly body that looked like fur when it was found in Sakhon Nakhon province on February 26. It was taken home by local Tu, 49, after he noticed it moving slowly in the dirty water near his home while he was walking.

The snake has been identified as a skull snake (Homalopsis Buccata), also known as Linne’s Water Snake, and the fur is actually moss that attached to the slow-moving reptile, and will stay there until it molts.

Published 1st March 2022 (3:17)

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Bluegreen (19th March 2022), Eva2 (12th March 2022), Franny (30th March 2022), Harmony (12th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th March 2022), Operator (12th March 2022), wondering (11th March 2022)

37. Link to Post #159
    Thanks

I don't know how true this is but this photo of 12 ants evenly spaced around a single drop of water is a great shot:

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th March 2022), Franny (30th March 2022), Harmony (30th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th March 2022), Operator (2nd April 2022), RunningDeer (30th March 2022), wondering (30th March 2022)

39. Link to Post #160
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I don't know how true this is but this photo of 12 ants evenly spaced around a single drop of water is a great shot:

Ants carrying a drop of water (1:47 min)

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th March 2022), Eva2 (20th April 2022), Harmony (30th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th March 2022), onawah (31st March 2022), Operator (2nd April 2022), wondering (30th March 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 8 10 LastLast