1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Default 10 REASONS TO BE VEGAN: Why people make the change

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 19:12.

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Agape (1st February 2021), Akasha (2nd February 2021), Alecs (1st February 2021), Bill Ryan (31st January 2021), Bluegreen (31st January 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (8th February 2021), DeDukshyn (3rd February 2021), Forest Denizen (31st January 2021), Franny (1st February 2021), Hym (1st February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Ioneo (31st January 2021), Jambo (1st February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (3rd February 2021), Kryztian (1st February 2021), lunaflare (3rd February 2021), Mare (1st February 2021), Mike (1st February 2021), O Donna (1st February 2021), Odons02 (31st January 2021), palehorse (4th February 2021), Patient (31st January 2021), Peace in Oz (1st February 2021), Rain Forest (12th April 2021), RunningDeer (2nd February 2021), Sunray (1st February 2021), uzn (31st January 2021), XelNaga (12th May 2021), ZenBaller (31st January 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: 10 REASONS TO BE VEGAN: Why people make the change

Nice one, Constance!

Animals really are here with us and not for us.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Odons02 For This Post:

Agape (1st February 2021), Akasha (2nd February 2021), Bill Ryan (31st January 2021), Bluegreen (31st January 2021), Constance (31st January 2021), Forest Denizen (31st January 2021), Franny (1st February 2021), Hym (1st February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Jambo (1st February 2021), O Donna (1st February 2021), Patient (31st January 2021), Peace in Oz (1st February 2021), uzn (31st January 2021), XelNaga (12th May 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

ddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:17.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Agape (1st February 2021), Akasha (2nd February 2021), Alecs (1st February 2021), Bill Ryan (31st January 2021), Bluegreen (31st January 2021), Franny (1st February 2021), Hym (1st February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Jambo (1st February 2021), Kryztian (1st February 2021), Peace in Oz (1st February 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,158 times in 1,663 posts

Not to diminish the OP and good comments but plants should be given their due as well

Plants are like saying, what am I, chopped liver?

Do Plants Really Feel Pain? What Does Science Say?

Pick your consumption, that's life.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Alan (2nd February 2021), alh02 (5th February 2021), Bill Ryan (1st February 2021), Constance (1st February 2021), Franny (1st February 2021), Hym (1st February 2021), Jambo (1st February 2021), NancyV (7th February 2021), Peace in Oz (1st February 2021), XelNaga (12th May 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:17.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (2nd February 2021), Bill Ryan (1st February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (1st February 2021), Franny (1st February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Jambo (1st February 2021), Kryztian (1st February 2021), Mare (1st February 2021), O Donna (1st February 2021), Ric Easton (1st February 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,971 times in 281 posts

Quote Posted by O Donna (here)
    Not to diminish the OP and good comments but plants should be given their due as well

With all due respect, mentioning in a pro-vegan thread the classic argument that plants feel pain, when meat and dairy consumption is one of the most significant causes of the destruction of the planet and limitation of human consciousness while a plant-based nutrition would probably solve global starvation and lead to a massive spiritual evolution... is worth some rethinking.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ZenBaller For This Post:

Akasha (2nd February 2021), Bill Ryan (1st February 2021), Constance (1st February 2021), Franny (2nd February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Kryztian (2nd February 2021), lunaflare (3rd February 2021), O Donna (1st February 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by ZenBaller (here)

With all due respect, mentioning in a pro-vegan thread the classic argument that plants feel pain, when meat and dairy consumption is one of the most significant causes of the destruction of the planet and limitation of human consciousness while a plant-based nutrition would probably solve global starvation and lead to a massive spiritual evolution... is worth some rethinking.
    Well, I don't think O Donna was pointing that out as an advocate of meat consumption. She was really remarking that we need to be conscious of ALL life on the planet, our relationship to it, and how we abuse it and/or take it for granted.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (2nd February 2021), Anka (1st February 2021), Chris Gilbert (1st February 2021), Constance (1st February 2021), Franny (2nd February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Ioneo (1st February 2021), kaiserschmarrn (3rd February 2021), Kryztian (2nd February 2021), kudzy (2nd February 2021), O Donna (1st February 2021), palehorse (4th February 2021), Yoda (2nd February 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,971 times in 281 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Well, I don't think O Donna was pointing that out as an advocate of meat consumption. She was really remarking that we need to be conscious of ALL life on the planet, our relationship to it, and how we abuse it and/or take it for granted.

I agree with that. I'm sure she meant well. I'm not a vegan activist to argue with people who still eat meat. The time comes for everyone when he feels ready. I am vegan but I could see myself hunting deers with a bow in a post apocalyptic scenario

The reason I felt that I had to reply is that our egoic mind (mine too of course) is looking to point out flaws even in a absolutely positive post like this, instead of simply supporting. That is something I have to stand up for.

Realistically speaking, we need at least a few centuries for the world to become plant based so we can start thinking about the impact of veganism on plants and what the next level should be.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZenBaller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st February 2021), Constance (2nd February 2021), O Donna (1st February 2021), palehorse (4th February 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:18. Reason: now redundant

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (2nd February 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

The "plants feel pain tho' " gets pwnd when one considers the quantity of plants required to produce a pound of meat. Those espousing concern for the well-being of our photosynthesising friends (rather than paying lip service in order to continue their cruel habits) would, by their own logic, be plant-based since roughly 10x less plants would die in the process if said folk were vegan.........and that's without getting into fruit, legumes, root vegetables and nuts.

For those who haven't grown their own spuds, they die off naturally and then you harvest them; the same goes for legumes such as beans and peas, and of course, fruit and nuts just fall off the tree when the time is right so no suffering there either. I could go on......
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (2nd February 2021), Kryztian (3rd February 2021), Peace in Oz (2nd February 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,158 times in 1,663 posts

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)

The "plants feel pain tho' " gets pwnd when one considers the quantity of plants required to produce a pound of meat. Those espousing concern for the well-being of our photosynthesising friends (rather than paying lip service in order to continue their cruel habits) would, by their own logic, be plant-based since roughly 10x less plants would die in the process if said folk were vegan.........and that's without getting into fruit, legumes, root vegetables and nuts.

For those who haven't grown their own spuds, they die off naturally and then you harvest them; the same goes for legumes such as beans and peas, and of course, fruit and nuts just fall off the tree when the time is right so no suffering there either. I could go on......
    Mirror, mirror

22. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

I could argue all of those except 7 and 4 in some instances, and maybe 1 in some instances.

Hunted meat, or ethically farmed meat (like my cousins ranch where all animals are revered), does not apply to many of those points.

Meat is nutritious, in fact contains a much broader range of nutrients than any plant.

You can revere that which you hunt and eat.

Financial reasons might be opposite in some parts of the world.

Here's my list for eating vegan ...

-- Environmental impact -- this is huge people. The rain-forests are being burned for cattle production (often to grow soybeans to feed cattle)
    -- Animal cruelty -- if you buy your meat from a factory farm, you are paying for animal cruelty. Full stop.

Those two points.

That said, I live in Canada ... **** doesn't grow here eight months out of the year ... nothing.

Proper hunting involves a kill surrendering itself for you sustenance. Yes, the universe works this way. How do you think lions stay out of hell?

Raising food animals is to be done in love and reverence. No it is not always done this way (in fact rarely), unfortunately.

For us in the north , eating fruits and veggies year round mostly means eating GMOS imported from some country exploiting their farmers -- it is what it is.

Another point for eating less meat: the "western diet" eats way too much meat --- once or twice a week is plenty. Get off your addiction. And eat meat you killed and processed yourself, or at the very least, meat you bought from an ethical farm.

If you live in warmer climates - eat more vegetables- you have that luxury - do it!

But as a northern Canadian that doesn't want to consume GMOs and wants to support local ecomomies and not the likes of Monsanto ... options are limited .. the "how" then becomes the important part ...

My two cents ...
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 3rd February 2021 at 05:26.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Constance (3rd February 2021), Kryztian (3rd February 2021)

24. Link to Post #13
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:18.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (3rd February 2021), DeDukshyn (3rd February 2021), Franny (5th February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Peace in Oz (3rd February 2021)

26. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I am interested again in vegan foods. For me it is because I am in yoga training again and devoted students just start to crave better foods. Foods filled with the life force.

My problem is that I have never found a good source for recipes. I know almost nothing about vegan. And so my attempts to get more life force foods is limited to bean salad and fresh herbs. On retreats in the past I have been fed really yummy vegetarian meals. Those are the ones I wish I knew how to make. There was this amazing veggie burger that if I knew how to make I would make it a lot.

I was brought up on meat. Meat at every meal. I was so well conditioned that when I went out on my own sometimes I would go hungry because there was no meat in the house - plenty of food but no meat. For instance, I could not have a slice of bread without some sort of meat involved. Cheese or eggs were no substitute either.

So now, as I advance in my training, my body is craving good foods with no meat. I wonder if we could start a thread for vegetarian and vegan recipes...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Akasha (3rd February 2021), Constance (3rd February 2021), palehorse (4th February 2021), Patient (22nd April 2021), Peace in Oz (3rd February 2021)

28. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Constance (here)
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

Meat is nutritious, in fact contains a much broader range of nutrients than any plant.
    Tell that to the strongest and biggest herbivores who inhabit this planet and to the millions of species of plants worldwide offering us a plethora of micro and macro nutrients.
    I don't want to turn this into a debate on your pertinent and important topic - we agree on some points, but just on this point: by saying that animals have nutrients, I was not implying that plants do not. I know some people try to argue that but of course its not true, just like its not true to say that animals don't have nutrients.

Also keep in mind Canada is a big country - BC alone has six entirely separate climate zones. For example the south west coast is a temperate rain-forest and stays fairly green year round; stuff there is pretty easy to grow year round with a basic greenhouse - its a tiny part of BC, but is usually what even more eastern Canadians think of "BC weather", but the vast majority of BC isn't like that. Once you move away from the Pacific ocean, things get a lot colder in the winters (but hotter in the summers).

In the northern interior, one is dealing with a rather large shortage of sunlight during winter months and temps down to -35C are not abnormal - if one has to provide their own light and vast amounts of heat for their garden, Food growing becomes an exercise for those who have vast amounts of cash to pump into it, not necessarily limited technically.

I'm not saying its impossible, just generally impractical for most of the areas in BC on most people's budget, with the exception of the very south and very west portions of the province. I currently have a vegetable greenhouse where I'm at, and it works well for the summer months for many edible vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes), the trick is trying to growing enough and having enough freezer space to make it last until next harvest season.

Summer months aren't an issue - it gets hot, its just the long cold dark winters - winter can easily last 6 months where I currently live. I'm just waiting for the pole shift that supposedly will move Canada to a warmer region, lol
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 3rd February 2021 at 20:26.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Constance (3rd February 2021), Franny (5th February 2021), Peace in Oz (3rd February 2021)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    I am interested again in vegan foods. For me it is because I am in yoga training again and devoted students just start to crave better foods. Foods filled with the life force.

My problem is that I have never found a good source for recipes. I know almost nothing about vegan. And so my attempts to get more life force foods is limited to bean salad and fresh herbs. On retreats in the past I have been fed really yummy vegetarian meals. Those are the ones I wish I knew how to make. There was this amazing veggie burger that if I knew how to make I would make it a lot.

I was brought up on meat. Meat at every meal. I was so well conditioned that when I went out on my own sometimes I would go hungry because there was no meat in the house - plenty of food but no meat. For instance, I could not have a slice of bread without some sort of meat involved. Cheese or eggs were no substitute either.

So now, as I advance in my training, my body is craving good foods with no meat. I wonder if we could start a thread for vegetarian and vegan recipes...
    Hi Ernie,

Here are what I would consider to be the top vegan food channels on Youtube. They all cover a wide variety of dishes from healthy to comfort/junk.

There are many others too but these should get you started. Jó étvágyat !!!

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (3rd February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (3rd February 2021), Franny (5th February 2021), Peace in Oz (3rd February 2021)

32. Link to Post #17
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Kosz szep.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Akasha (3rd February 2021), Constance (3rd February 2021), Peace in Oz (3rd February 2021)

34. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:21.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (4th February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (3rd February 2021), Franny (5th February 2021), Peace in Oz (3rd February 2021)

36. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Tony Wright has some interesting thoughts/research one considering veganism would definitely like to hear.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paladin14 For This Post:

Akasha (4th February 2021), Constance (4th February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021)

38. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:21. Reason: redundant

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (4th February 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Paladin14 (4th February 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast