1. Link to Post #41
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Default Re: 10 REASONS TO BE VEGAN: Why people make the change

ddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:24.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), DeDukshyn (15th February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (15th February 2021), Hym (15th February 2021), Kryztian (15th February 2021)

3. Link to Post #42
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Constance (here)
    Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    I have been detoxing for over a month now (using yoga techniques I learnt long ago - abdominal lifts + forceful deep breathing in extreme poses) and eating more vegetables and fruit. The problem is, that since I started this regimen my digestive system is not happy at all. My body calls for food that has more life force in it, but my gut is asking if we could just go back to normal food. I've been bloated ever since starting back on veggies and fruit. It is very uncomfortable. I am hoping that it will settle down once the detoxing is finished or at least progresses further along. I just don't know how much longer I can take it...

I've always had a problem digesting raw foods so I finally realized it is best not to eat them. Just days after stopping the raw foods my stomach was fine at last, after so many years of bloating and painful digestion (because I love fruit and salads). But yoga demands healthy food, so I've started back on them and the pain has returned on cue.
    It might be best to start with just small amounts of raw food because your microbiome needs to adjust to new input.

If the body hasn't experienced a plant before, or it hasn't seen that particular plant for a long time, the body won't know what it is looking at.

Detoxing in winter is never ideal. If one is wanting to do a detox, it is best done during the summer months where no socks are required. Our energies are in their most expanded state during the summer months. It is why we are more susceptible to colds and flu's in the autumn, winter and spring months, our energies are naturally contracting and if our bodies are not in a state of balance, it only takes a small pin to pop a balloon. For example, if we overeat at a meal, it can create an emotional imbalance which can then cause an imbalance in the gut. It is the whole gut/brain connection.

If a detox causes side effects, the detox is too strong for the individual. If one is detoxing, one's body should not even be aware that it is detoxing. Ideally, detoxing needs to be done over a 2 year cycle.

Just to add to this, incorrect food combining can also create disturbances in the body.
    To add ... the human body is incredibly adaptable - amazingly so if you read up on some of the extreme cases. I'll add to this the concept of what is known as a gene expression shift. This is when you body shifts the expression of certain genes - shuts off some, activates others. Usually this requires somewhat of an extreme situation to induce.

For example, caloric restriction is one. Under caloric restriction, the body will adapt by augmenting over 100 gene expressions to facilitate reduced calories and nutrients. It goes into something we might consider a "self preservation" mode. Age based diseases and other common health issues are greatly reduced under this gene expression and the body begins to function in a state to maximize longevity. Caloric restriction is actually the only potential "fountain of youth" phenomenon that has some scientific backing behind it.

This ties into my earlier post (I think on the other thread) where I talk about the typical "western" (or modern) diet being excessive in overall consumption.

That said, there are other ways to trigger different gene expressions and changes in diet may be one of them. Do note that while undergoing a gene expression change or even simply a hormonal change, the body feels like **** for a while before everything shifts and the adaptation is complete. It should be complete in a couple weeks but may take longer. In the mean time, headaches, sleeplessness or tiredness, lack of energy or excessive nervous system stimulation, and digestive issues are all normal.

I am speaking both from personal experience and reading anecdotal experiences from others.

And all that said, everyone is different and simply gut microflora adaptation takes even longer in many cases. Gut microflora is somewhat linked to diet, but what has established itself, is hard to displace. So in the mean time, digestive upset may occur as the old gut fungi and bacteria have issues with the new diet, but resist relinquishing their hold on the establishment for different bacteria and fungi to take their place. I find garden vegetables with their natural microflora (as in don't wash them too heavily) helps in this regard - but still the process is slow. The stomach is designed to kill microbes - hence all the acid, so few actually get through. It takes time.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 15th February 2021 at 17:41.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), Constance (15th February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (15th February 2021), Hym (15th February 2021), Kryztian (15th February 2021), Peace in Oz (15th February 2021)

5. Link to Post #43
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 times in 143 posts

I live on a whole food, plant based diet centred on starches. Dr McDougall taught me how to nourish myself and I am very grateful to him.

Dr McDougall proposes a simple diet based on starches like potato, sweet potato, rice and veggies, in order to stay chronic disease free.

John McDougall, MD - The Potato is Still a Staple - PART 1
    Start at 7.30 minute mark to skip the details about covid.

- Potatoes are underground storage organ, they store the energy for the potato plant;
    - Potatoes are the pillars of worldwide nutrition;
    - One acre of potatoes will feed 10 people for a year;
    - They grow in low lands, high lands, wet areas and dry areas, cold areas and warm areas; grow almost in any place;
    - It is an affordable food;
    - Originated in the cold, dry Lake Titicaca region of Peru and Bolivia;
    - It was a staple crop in the Andes as far as 10-12,000 years ago;
    - Potatoes ended famine in Europe wherever they were introduced;
    - Potatoes have become unpopular when the meat, dairy and fish industries decided to dominate the market;
    - Potatoes are the most productive, require the least water, have the lowest carbon footprint of all the different foods such as wheat, rice or corn;
    - Potatoes are sufficient as far as growing children from 8 month to 35 months of age. Children have been raised on potatoes as the sole source of protein and sole source of nutrients, as a formula, because there was nothing else available for these children;
    - A man, 25 and a woman, 28 lived on a diet of primarily potatoes for six months; even though they were both physically active, they were described as “in good health on a diet in which the nitrogen (protein) was practically, solely derived from the potato”;
    - Andrew Taylor from Australia, “Spud Fit”, lived on potatoes alone, cured his depression, aches and pains and lost 117 pounds;
    - In the movie “The Martian (2015)” Matt Daemon went to Mars and what did he grow? He didn’t grow pork chops, he grew potatoes;
    Last edited by Peace in Oz; 22nd April 2021 at 04:04.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peace in Oz For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Anka (11th April 2021), Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), Constance (15th February 2021), Hym (15th February 2021), Kryztian (15th February 2021), lunaflare (24th March 2021)

7. Link to Post #44
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:24.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), DeDukshyn (15th February 2021), Hym (15th February 2021), lunaflare (24th March 2021)

9. Link to Post #45
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:16.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Anka (11th April 2021), Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), Hym (15th February 2021), Kryztian (15th February 2021), lunaflare (24th March 2021), Peace in Oz (15th February 2021)

11. Link to Post #46
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:25.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Anka (11th April 2021), Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), lunaflare (24th March 2021), Peace in Oz (24th March 2021)

13. Link to Post #47
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:25. Reason: See Bills comments

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Anka (11th April 2021), Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), DeDukshyn (11th May 2021), lunaflare (12th April 2021), Peace in Oz (22nd April 2021)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,531 times in 32,788 posts

Seaspiracy, A highly recommended watch...

A few factoids about our beautiful sea creatures...
    • We have so much micro-plastic in our oceans that whales are straining this through their filter feeding system (baleen) instead of phytoplankton, filling their bellies up with plastic and dying of starvation.
    • Dolphins in the Southern waters off Japan are murdered because they are seen as competition for the Japanese fishermen.
    • 10,000 sharks are killed every hour. Half are killed for their shark fins, tossed back into the ocean and left to drown, the other half are what are called by-catch by the fishing industry and they are discarded as waste back into the ocean. 50 million sharks a year are caught by fishing nets. Sharks are the cleaners and the filterers of our oceans, without them, the whole eco-system would collapse.
    • On the West Coast of France up to 10,000 dolphins are killed every year by by-catch. This has been going on for at least thirty years because the French Government has been very effective at hiding the problem. People don't realise that by eating fish from the ocean, they are contributing to a dolphins death sentence.
    • Everyone around the world eats fish but what most people don't realise is that the statistics of by-catch is alarming. 40% of sea creatures are thrown back into the ocean, dead before they even hit the water.
    I have nothing but admiration for those warriors who are brave enough to stand up for the rights of animals.

Seaspiracy | Official Trailer | Netflix
    Yes, many thanks.

Now in the Avalon Library:

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Alecs (12th April 2021), Anka (11th April 2021), Constance (11th April 2021), DeDukshyn (11th May 2021), Kryztian (12th April 2021), Peace in Oz (22nd April 2021), Sunray (12th April 2021), Tintin (11th April 2021), Yoda (11th April 2021)

17. Link to Post #49
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

A few factoids about our beautiful sea creatures...
    • We have so much micro-plastic in our oceans that whales are straining this through their filter feeding system (baleen) instead of phytoplankton, filling their bellies up with plastic and dying of starvation.
    • Dolphins in the Southern waters off Japan are murdered because they are seen as competition for the Japanese fishermen.
    • 10,000 sharks are killed every hour. Half are killed for their shark fins, tossed back into the ocean and left to drown, the other half are what are called by-catch by the fishing industry and they are discarded as waste back into the ocean. 50 million sharks a year are caught by fishing nets. Sharks are the cleaners and the filterers of our oceans, without them, the whole eco-system would collapse.
    • On the West Coast of France up to 10,000 dolphins are killed every year by by-catch. This has been going on for at least thirty years because the French Government has been very effective at hiding the problem. People don't realise that by eating fish from the ocean, they are contributing to a dolphins death sentence.
    • Everyone around the world eats fish but what most people don't realise is that the statistics of by-catch is alarming. 40% of sea creatures are thrown back into the ocean, dead before they even hit the water.
    I have nothing but admiration for those warriors who are brave enough to stand up for the rights of animals.

Seaspiracy | Official Trailer | Netflix
    Yes, many thanks.

Now in the Avalon Library:
    I am sorry. I could hardly follow to the point where the pregnant whale appeared (I felt the cuts in the flesh, in my chest) This makes me believe that if people disappeared instead, the animals would make a much healthier planet, in which the Echo-system would be truly balanced, where no one will be able to just kill anything that carries a living consciousness.
    And all this to be just human.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), Constance (11th April 2021), Hym (11th April 2021), Kryztian (12th April 2021), lunaflare (12th April 2021)

19. Link to Post #50
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 01:44.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Alecs (12th April 2021), Anka (11th April 2021), Bill Ryan (11th April 2021), Hym (11th April 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Kryztian (12th April 2021), Peace in Oz (22nd April 2021)

21. Link to Post #51
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Patagonia asks critical questions such as,

How far do we go to manufacture wildness?

Artifishal (Full Film) | The Fight to Save Wild Salmon
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 05:25.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (12th April 2021), Icare (12th April 2021), Mike (12th April 2021), Peace in Oz (22nd April 2021)

23. Link to Post #52
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

[QUOTE=Bill Ryan;1421384]

Thanks for this Bill! Well worth watching.

There were some passages where the fisherman interviewed were speaking Thai - I did not see any captions or see where I could turn them on. I assume the translations were part of the original video. Is there any way to make this show ? This happened at the 1 hours 9 minute mark.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st April 2021), Constance (12th April 2021)

25. Link to Post #53
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

With particular consideration for reasons 4 and 7 in the O.P., I would like to draw folks' attention to what is currently going on in Equador.

World Bank Urged To Stop Financing Ecuador’s Largest Factory Farm

The World Bank’s commercial lending arm is being urged to stop financing Ecuador’s largest factory farm.

A coalition of NGOs has sent a letter to the board of the International Finance Corporation (IFC) requesting it vote against a $50 million loan for the expansion of Pronaca.

It is also asking the public to get involved in urging the corporation to defund the livestock sector.

Public health concerns
    Since 2004, the IFC has provided Pronaca with at least $120 million in loans.

The meat giant has used the financing to expand its operations. Now, it has more than 30 pork and poultry farms in the Ecuadorian province of Santo Domingo de los Tsáchilas.

An investigation conducted by Mongabay, in collaboration with The Guardian and the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, found local communities had been negatively impacted by the expansion.

Residents claim waste from the animals eventually ends up in their rivers. This then tainted the water with fecal coliform bacteria, causing skin, gastrointestinal, and respiratory issues.

Other complaints filed include ‘foul odor emanating from the pig farms’ and negative impacts on a buffer forest.

‘Stop funding factory farms’
    Merel van der Mark is the head of animal welfare and finance at Sinergia Animal, one of the NGOs spearheading the conversation attempts with IFC.

In a statement sent to PBN, she said: “As a public financial institution, the IFC’s investments must be guided by public interest.

“This is not what is happening, quite the opposite. It’s time for this financial institution to stop funding the expansion of factory farms like it is planning to do with Pronaca.”

In 2010, local communities filed an official complaint against Pronaca over climate concerns. However, the complaint was closed without proper investigation and with no reached agreement.

Despite the lack of environmental permits, the IFC financed Pronaca again in 2013.

“It’s deeply concerning that from its disclosure page about the Pronaca loan… It’s clear that the IFC does not require Pronaca to consult with surrounding communities and obtain their support, let alone their consent for this project,” van der Mark added.

Sinergia Animal and partner organizations Feedback, the Global Forest Coalition, and Friends of the Earth have already sent two letters to the IFC.

They have asked the corporation to commit to divest from the industrial livestock sector. The letters cite evidence ‘that proves the sector fuels the climate crisis; is a major cause of social problems, poor animal welfare, deforestation, environmental degradation, loss of biodiversity, water, and air pollution; and increases the risk of antibiotic resistance and new pandemics’..... full article here
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st April 2021), Constance (21st April 2021), Peace in Oz (22nd April 2021)

27. Link to Post #54
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 00:58.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (22nd April 2021), Bill Ryan (21st April 2021), Mike (21st April 2021), Patient (22nd April 2021), Peace in Oz (22nd April 2021)

29. Link to Post #55
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

Just read through the entire thread. What a huge amount of excellent info in just 3 pages!

...and with all of the talk of potatoes.

If you have not done this - try this on your barbecue. Chop up a bunch of potatoes, and wrap it all up in tin foil with butter and garlic - oh yeah!

Do something similar with carrots (and a bit of brown sugar for a glaze).

I need to buy a new gas barbecue and when we get it, this will probably be the first thing on the grill!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th May 2021), Constance (22nd April 2021), Mike (24th April 2021), Peace in Oz (22nd April 2021)

31. Link to Post #56
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

A debate here from Dr. Mercola's site featuring two experts, one says meat is good, one says plant-based diet is best.
    I don't mean to change the topic or derail the thread, but I haven't often seen a debate like this, and Dr. Mercola always has good info to share.
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...rid=1140626614
    Last edited by onawah; 24th April 2021 at 23:19.
    Each breath a gift...

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th May 2021), Constance (24th April 2021), Mike (24th April 2021)

33. Link to Post #57
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 00:44.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Akasha (1st November 2021), Bill Ryan (10th May 2021), Hym (10th May 2021), onawah (24th April 2021), Peace in Oz (11th May 2021)

35. Link to Post #58
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,531 times in 32,788 posts

Here's a wonderful interview with Steph Davis, 47 year old world-class superstar rock climber and BASE jumper (meaning, she jumps off very high things, flies around for a while, and then pulls a parachute at the last moment).

Here's a video, which is nothing if not inspiring.

Crazy Beautiful Thing: the title is perfect. Steph Davis, Super-stable, super-smart, and a super-super-nice person. Her dog Cajun goes with her everywhere. I don't know of any high-caliber sportsperson who is more universally loved.

And here's just a great photo.

And she's a Vegan. This interview was published here on the Vegan Society website.

Top level climber, skydiver and BASE jumper Steph Davis discusses nutrition, compassion and trusting yourself in high-risk environments

29 July, 2016

Few could pursue a life so fearlessly on the edge while being as down to earth as Steph Davis. A world-leading professional climber, skydiver and base-jumper, Steph is the only woman to have climbed a 5.11 grade route without safety equipment, and the first woman to summit the 2685m icy peak of Torre Egger in Argentina.

From her first climb aged 18 which left her feeling ‘lit up’, she continues to push herself to new heights in her athletic performance.

Living in the back of a converted van in Colorado while completing her master’s degree in English, Steph found herself becoming increasingly fascinated by and appreciative of her surroundings. Enjoying the need to adapt to nature, and being respectful of yourself and your environment, Steph sees rock climbing as a ‘metaphor for life’.

Steph began skydiving in 2007 and soon became thrilled by BASE jumping and wingsuit flying as well as free-climbing, which involves no safety equipment. When asked how she keeps calm in such risky situations, she says, “I focus on breathing and clearing my mind, and I trust myself to make the right choices.”

Changing perspectives

Steph made the decision to become vegan in 2003 following a boundless interest in the link between nutrition and athletic performance. “I tried four different eating systems, for a total of a year. At the end I did the Master Cleanse.

After the cleansing fast, I ate what I wanted to eat, and after a few weeks I realised I was eating vegan. So I stayed with it, and was amazed by the results athletically.”

Following a plant-based diet and remaining at the highest level of performance is not something that traditionalist climbers had previously believed possible. “Twelve years ago, people were generally very negative and unsupportive of veganism in general, and especially relative to climbing.

Now it seems like most people know about the health and athletic benefits of veganism. There are a lot of vegan climbers and athletes demonstrating the advantages of eating plant-based.”

Since changing her diet, every aspect of Steph’s life has been positively transformed. “I’ve been vegan for 10 years now, and there’s nothing in my life that hasn’t become better as a result.” She attributes her abilities and powerful connection with her sport and surroundings to this new perspective.

“To perform my sports and to stay alive in high risk environments, I need to be at top level athletic fitness. I also need to be highly attuned to the natural environment, and able to listen to myself and any outside messages. I have found that eating a vegan diet gives me optimum physical and mental awareness.”

Eating to thrive

Steph’s vegan diet is as stripped back and naturalistic as her way of life. “I like simplicity and purity. That is very much in line with my eating style: whole foods, whole grains. Nothing processed, nothing pre-made.”

Despite calling a whole range of locations home (including an octagonal cabin, a tent, and a converted van), Steph’s simplistic style of eating allows her to adapt her food to suit her environment wherever she may be.

“I eat the same everywhere, except when I don't have a refrigerator I don't eat as many salads – that's when I eat more broccoli and more durable vegetables and lentils. The beauty of vegetables and grains is that they don't spoil quickly like animal products do. I use powdered soymilk too when I'm in a more backcountry environment.”

After a day’s training, Steph creates inspired and delicious vegan dishes, many of which can be found in the recipe section of her website. “Right now I'm really into fermentation, so I've been making kombucha tea, and kim chi, a vegetable side dish.

For dinner, I love a big salad with grilled tofu and shredded yellow beetroot and carrots. Or a stir-fry with ginger, garlic, serrano pepper and tofu, or broccoli and shitake mushrooms with brown rice.”

Compassionate choices

A long-standing campaigner and advocate for animal rights organisations, a profound respect for animals has been a significant part of Steph’s life for as long as she can remember. One fundamental reason Steph remains vegan is her awareness of the need for sustainable, ethical farming practices. “A vegan diet keeps consumer dollars out of the marketplace that supports factory farming, which I believe to be evil.”

Closer to home, Steph has adopted two strays as her beloved companions. “Mao is a little black cat who came in through the dog door one day, announced his name, and has been here for about six years.

Cajun was found starving on the Navajo reservation as a puppy, and she is about four and a half.” Cajun is Steph’s reliable companion on her adventures. “She runs down to the bottom of the cliff when I BASE jump, and meets me at the bottom.”

Best foot forward

Steph teamed up with climbing shoe company Evolv in 2012, working to create a vegan shoe that is suitable for a variety of terrains. “They are releasing a line of all vegan climbing shoes this season to include my shoe, the vegan Addict slipper. They have put a lot of energy into vegan shoes, and have been very supportive!”

Steph Davis is a pioneering vegan athlete from a breath-taking area of extreme sports. The way she emanates such positivity and focus in response to extreme situations is truly inspiring. To find out more about Steph you can follow her adventures on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram or explore her story and blog further at stephdavis.com.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 10th May 2021 at 22:32.

36. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (1st November 2021), avid (10th May 2021), DeDukshyn (11th May 2021), Gracy (10th May 2021), Hym (10th May 2021), Kryztian (11th May 2021), lunaflare (10th May 2021), Mike (10th May 2021), Peace in Oz (11th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (11th May 2021), Violet3 (13th May 2021), Yoda (10th May 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3