1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

Default Re: Name a popular food/dish from your area

"Name a popular food/dish from your area"

(Non-Americans may not know folks from my area are known as "Cheeseheads")
    Last edited by Bluegreen; 6th February 2021 at 20:59.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Anka (6th February 2021), Antagenet (20th October 2022), DeDukshyn (6th February 2021), EFO (6th February 2021), Harmony (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    I was just thinking about some split pea soup today ... might have to give this one a try ...
    It's amazing. I could eat that whole pot!

Quote Posted by Bluegreen (here)
    "Name a popular food/dish from your area"
    Everyone loves cheese but I would devour those pepperocini's as well!

Hey Anca and EFO, meant to show you guys this. If I ever stop by I plan on gaining 10 pounds!

He has another Romania video but I haven't watched it yet.
    EDIT: Is that video starting from the beginning? I can't get it to start from the beginning even though I specified it to. If it screws up again I will smash my laptop with a 32oz ball peen.
    Last edited by Strat; 6th February 2021 at 07:20.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (6th February 2021), Antagenet (20th October 2022), Bluegreen (6th February 2021), DeDukshyn (6th February 2021), EFO (6th February 2021), Harmony (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

Dear Strat !!!

You are invited to Romania, and we hope you gain 10 pounds !!
    We see the movie from the beginning
    "Zacusca" or vegetable jam, since the beginning of the film, we here do it every year, it takes us 8 months to grow vegetables and it takes us a few good hours to make it, but for a winter with cans it's worth it, we do it exactly the same as in the movie below (with English subtitles), but we don't put garlic, it's optional anyway. The jars preserved with zacusca stay for 3 years, and are very tasty in winter when they are cold spread on a hot slice of toast.

The intake of vitamins is indisputable and goes well with the taste.
    You can drink a cold apple nectar (made by me at home), drink a glass without breathing and you have immunity assured for the current day
    Smoked bacon, farm eggs, and homemade pate, I also put hot peppers preserved by me.
    I took a special picture for you, with the morning snack just as an appetizer before lunch.

Thanks for the video, we wish you good health!
    Mashed vegetables, traditionally called "Zacusca" is found in any farmhouse in Romania and each has a different taste, others put zucchini instead of eggplant, or it is made only from mushrooms, anyway Europeans like that.

Thank you and be Blessed and be Healthy Strat!

This is the recipe

Delicious Romanian Slow-Cooked Vegetable Spread Zacusca(15:29)

And all this to be just human.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Ankle Biter (23rd August 2021), Bluegreen (6th February 2021), DeDukshyn (6th February 2021), EFO (7th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Nikola Tesla (23rd August 2021), Strat (6th February 2021)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Quote Posted by Satori (here)
    Huevos Rancheros, red or green [chile], or both (called Christmas)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...IQFRML&first=1
    I like US Southwest Huevos Rancheros better than the Mexican kind. The main difference is that in the Southwest they're made with potatoes, rather than rice as in most Mexican restaurants elsewhere.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Anka (6th February 2021), Bluegreen (6th February 2021), DeDukshyn (7th February 2021), EFO (7th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,758 times in 2,555 posts

Thought this was an interesting video preparing a one of a kind dessert - I like all that fresh fruit:

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Ankle Biter (23rd August 2021), Bluegreen (23rd August 2021), Strat (15th August 2021)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,006 times in 337 posts

Its probably not the most elaborate (or even tasyest) of the great recipes we got here, but "calçots" are my favourite.

Its an old tradition of eating a special kind of elongated onions cooked on a wood fireplace, and dipping them on some nice sauce (romesco or salvitxada) , often accompained with some meat afterwards, and a truckload of wine.

It is a healthy and tasty meal, but the cool part of it is reuniting family and friends around the table, like a special kind of barbecue.

If any of you guys end up visiting catalonia on winter/spring, you should definetly try it out.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I am B For This Post:

Ankle Biter (23rd August 2021), Bluegreen (23rd August 2021), Did You See Them (16th August 2021), Ernie Nemeth (16th August 2021)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,340 times in 472 posts

About as far from Haute cuisine as is possible, popular dishes from my region are fish and chips, pies, curry, etc...
    Any branch of Greggs (a bakery) is always likely to have queues forming for cheap and cheerful sausage rolls, different types of pies, sandwiches....

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

Ankle Biter (23rd August 2021), Antagenet (20th October 2022), Bluegreen (23rd August 2021), Matthew (27th April 2022), wondering (23rd August 2021)

15. Link to Post #28
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Le Chat (here)
    About as far from Haute cuisine as is possible, popular dishes from my region are fish and chips, pies, curry, etc...
    Any branch of Greggs (a bakery) is always likely to have queues forming for cheap and cheerful sausage rolls, different types of pies, sandwiches....
    Newcastle?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jimbobule For This Post:

wondering (23rd August 2021)

17. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,636 times in 2,654 posts

Cumberland sausage and mash, quite a peppery sausage with accompaniments such as mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs etc.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Ankle Biter (23rd August 2021), Bluegreen (23rd August 2021), Matthew (27th April 2022), wondering (23rd August 2021)

19. Link to Post #30
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

Sausage roll with sauce and farmers union Iced Coffee or locally referred to as the tradies breakfast is common for sth.Oz. Swap Greggs for Villies and I think we might be dealing with mirror images.

Another that comes to mind in this part of the world is the 'Tim-Tam Slam' .. not much of a sweet tooth myself but these do go a treat every once in a while.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Bluegreen (24th August 2021), wondering (23rd August 2021)

21. Link to Post #31
    Croatia Avalon Member
    Thanks

That is a very good idea...I like.. haha

I come from the eastern part of Croatia named Slavonia, where is the corn and food production for bigger Parts of Croatia.

Its a beautiful area with big tradition and culture overall and also in preparing food and sweet cookies.

Here are the standard wedding 500+ people and go few days along with lot of food and rakija :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCn0jijqUec

My favorit few disches are Sarma (somkind of krautwickel)

https://www.google.com/search?q=sarm...IKlMSJL1z8Qw0M

punjena paprika (Paprika filled with meet and rise in tomato soup)

https://www.google.com/search?q=punj...B_enDE849DE849

Cobanac (gulasch with 5-6 different meats )

https://www.google.com/search?q=coba...B_enDE849DE849

Kulen - Specialty from Slavonija, You can just find here in the World!!! Special soausage from old pork (3-4 year old pig and you can make just one kulen of one pig!

https://www.google.com/search?q=kule...B_enDE849DE849

Fish soup from river fishes

https://www.google.com/search?q=fis+...B_enDE849DE849

Saran na rasljama (fish grilled on wood stiks)

https://www.google.com/search?q=%C5%...B_enDE849DE849

and last but not least hunderts of different small coockies

https://www.google.com/search?q=sitn...B_enDE849DE849

Visit us and You will not regret regarding food.. ;-)

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikola Tesla For This Post:

Ankle Biter (24th August 2021), Bluegreen (24th August 2021)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This is a very typical dish served where I live. This gal knows what she's doing and the food looks great! There are variations to the dish like collard greens instead of green beans or BBQ ribs or brisket (my fav) etc etc. I would say that in my opinion the macaroni and cheese and cornbread are mandatory.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Antagenet (20th October 2022), Orph (27th April 2022)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)

This is a very typical dish served where I live. This gal knows what she's doing and the food looks great! There are variations to the dish like collard greens instead of green beans or BBQ ribs or brisket (my fav) etc etc. I would say that in my opinion the macaroni and cheese and cornbread are mandatory.
    what about hot chicken? I love it. I think they're calling it Nashville Hot Chicken nowadays, but it's been associated with soul food for ages. I think there's even a hot chicken and waffles chain in Los Angeles -- Roscoes?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Strat (27th April 2022)

27. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,189 times in 4,071 posts

This is exactly what I was going to say, including Greggs which I went to today and was talking about with friends earlier.

But add in apple crumble and custard! I could throw in an Eton mess but it sounds wrong I haven't been able to eat one.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Strat (27th April 2022)

29. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)

what about hot chicken? I love it. I think they're calling it Nashville Hot Chicken nowadays, but it's been associated with soul food for ages. I think there's even a hot chicken and waffles chain in Los Angeles -- Roscoes?
    I haven't heard of hot chicken? Chicken and waffles is really popular though.

30. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)

I haven't heard of hot chicken? Chicken and waffles is really popular though.
    It's just southern fried chicken with cayenne powder and smoked paprika added

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Strat (30th April 2022)

32. Link to Post #37
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,067 times in 698 posts

Since im from Germany, here is a classic Streetfood the famous Currywurst (sometimes i miss it alot)

But im living in Peru and the most famous Dish here is Cebiche Peruano. (Raw Fish)

A great vegetarian option would be Papa la Huancaina

Last edited by seehas; 30th April 2022 at 01:39.
    " Loka samasta sukhino bhavantu / May all beings in all worlds be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all "

tibetian mantra

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seehas For This Post:

Antagenet (20th October 2022), Johnnycomelately (30th April 2022), Strat (30th April 2022)

34. Link to Post #38
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

I consider myself a time travelling earthling, so here is my contribution today. A YT cowboy-cook, Kent Rollins, gives a historical talk about how ranging- or driving- cowpokes were fed, back in the day. Also adds about how his current gig works (hint: they eat better now).

Last edited by Johnnycomelately; 20th October 2022 at 06:37. Reason: Typo, punctufication

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Antagenet (20th October 2022)

36. Link to Post #39
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Pride of Russia, since Soviet times.

We have revolutionized the cup noodle
    28,522 views Oct 23, 2022

Bosnian Ape Society
    566K subscribers

“The Mikoyan and Gurevich Design Bureau has been the symbol of Soviet dominance in aviation and aerospace for over forty years. We are proud to unveil the next chapter of Mikoyan-Gurevich superiority in design and engineering. As expected of a product of fallacious western ideology, the cup noodle is fragile, impractical, incapable, and anemic. With a low service ceiling and a slow maximum rated speed, the current iteration of cup noodles is thoroughly useless for practical use and completely unfit for Soviet consumption. The cup noodle is outdated and in desperate need of modernization. That is why the Mikoyan-Gurevich cup noodle will be manufactured using nickel-steel alloy, enabling it to withstand speeds of over three thousand kilometers per hour. In addition, the availability of this material will allow the Mikoyan-Gurevich to be manufactured on a grander scale that will inevitably lead to the domination of the Mikoyan-Gurevich cup noodle as it fills the shelves of markets everywhere and puts all other cup noodles to shame with its superior design and durability.“

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2