+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Society have a Mental Disorder?

1. Link to Post #1
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,504 times in 4,311 posts

Default Does Society have a Mental Disorder?

I am growing rather convinced that a new type of mass paranoia is at large in society today, a sort of anxious, delusional state of mind that hallucinates forms of racism/sexism/transphobia, etc, that do not actually exist.

Yes, these things do exist, obviously. What I mean is the inclination to apportion an offensive meaning, and thus draw an offensive conclusion, when no such offence was meant - or even vaguely in evidence.

Many good examples of this can be found in the Cancel Culture Examples thread. The most recent victims of this woke zombie virus were of all things the Muppets, and Dr. Seuss, on grounds of racism and/or sexual stereotypes. To me it appears as though a 'thing' does not have to contain or display actual racism these days, it only has to be arbitrarily perceived and called out as racist. Cancellation ensues and that's it.. What chance do we have if perception alone is the measuring stick by which we judge the world? Literally none. How can we judge the qualities and properties of existence based purely on implied perception?

'Wokeness' is strongly linked to virtue signalling, and political correctness. They are all variants of the same disease. It's genesis was totally benign, however. Woke was a watchword for discrimination (particularly racism), and sociopolitical awareness, and of course police brutality. It has since morphed into something far more pervasive and sinister, where each and every thing can potentially be ruled, implied or otherwise, as racist, or sexist, or homophobic etc. Is this by design (conspiracy theory), or is it organically driven? Whatever the case, today's woke warriors are on the rampage, cherry-picking examples of discrimination, bigotry, white supremacy (or what happens to spark their outrage) simply on a whim. Images, slogans and household brands, to films and books and now even kids' shows, nothing is sacred to this modern day witch hunt.

Overt examples of real social injustice are usually quite obvious where and when they arise. You don't need to be that astute in detecting them. Just basic conscientiousness is all you need. Wokeness has lost all meaning now. We have entered the realm of hysteria. Society has become more and more disposed to projecting its own cognitive biases onto the world, and seeing/hearing/inventing examples of bigotry and discrimination where none really exist.

"The term social projection was first coined by Floyd Allport in 1924. The idea refers to the process of creating knowledge about the characteristics of an individual or group of individuals based on the self as a reference point. .... Further, the process can and does occur without clear information [emphasis mine] about the true consensus of the individual or reference group. [Source, wikipedia]. So is this what is happening?

I'm not a psychologist, I'm no expert on this at all, just an observer, and I'm only reporting what I observe. And what I observe is a growing state of mass delusion sweeping society. Delusions on this scale have plenty of precedent. Humans are extremely pliable and have a herd mentality. Think the widening political schism absorbing western culture. Think the banal trance of consumerism that absorbs our youth, that glazes the social fabric. Think feelings, which seem to matter more now than facts. Think religious conditioning! All these things not merely lend themselves to, but define, human (un)awareness in our current age.

Perhaps cancel culture and woke madness could be attributed to a form of Apophenia, itself a form of Pareidolia. This is "the tendency to perceive meaningful connections between seemingly unrelated things. Apophenia is defined as the "unmotivated seeing of connections [accompanied by] a specific feeling of abnormal meaningfulness".

So, is society suffering from a mental illness? A shared mass delusion? I would say, quite emphatically, yes. And it's catching.

Here are just a few psychological disorders that I've been looking at, which I suspect are at large in society today. Although, I do think we have all been subject to one or more of these phenomena ourselves at some in our lives. We are fickle creatures, and flawed. No one is perfect.

Pluralistic ignorance
    A situation in which a majority of group members privately reject a norm, but go along with it because they assume, incorrectly, that most others accept it. This is also described as "no one believes, but everyone thinks that everyone believes".

Anchoring bias
    The tendency to rely too heavily, or "anchor", on one trait or piece of information when making decisions (usually the first piece of information acquired on that subject.)

Confirmation bias
    The tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values. People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes.

Selective perception
    The tendency for expectations to affect perception.

Reactive devaluation
    Occurs when a proposal is devalued if it appears to originate from an antagonist.

Semmelweis reflex
    A metaphor for the reflex-like tendency to reject new evidence or new knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs, or paradigms.

Subjective validation
    A cognitive bias by which people will consider a statement or another piece of information to be correct if it has any personal meaning or significance to them. People whose opinion is affected by subjective validation will perceive two unrelated events (i.e., a coincidence) to be related because their personal beliefs demand that they be related.

Truthiness
    Truthiness is the belief or assertion that a particular statement is true based on the intuition or perceptions of some individual or individuals, without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts. Truthiness can range from ignorant assertions of falsehoods to deliberate duplicity or propaganda intended to sway opinions.

Illusory correlation
    The phenomenon of perceiving a relationship between variables (typically people, events, or behaviors) even when no such relationship exists. A false association may be formed because rare or novel occurrences are more salient and therefore tend to capture one's attention.

Motivated reasoning
    A phenomenon that uses emotionally-biased reasoning to produce justifications or make decisions that are most desired rather than those that accurately reflect the evidence, while still reducing cognitive dissonance. In other words, motivated reasoning is the "tendency to find arguments in favor of conclusions we want to believe to be stronger than arguments for conclusions we do not want to believe".

Availability cascade
    A self-reinforcing process in which a collective belief gains more and more plausibility through its increasing repetition in public discourse (or "repeat something long enough and it will become true").

Bandwagon effect
    The tendency of an individual to acquire a particular style, behaviour or attitude because everyone else is doing it. It is a phenomenon whereby the rate of uptake of beliefs, ideas, fads and trends increases with respect to the proportion of others who have already done so. As more people come to believe in something, others also "hop on the bandwagon" regardless of the underlying evidence.

Groupthink
    The psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative viewpoints by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences.

It might be said that these disorders do not merely explain wokeness, but whole variety of modern manias, and cultish behaviour in general. But all this has been made possible - and made to positively flourish virtually worldwide now - by mainstream media spending an inordinate amount of time and energy on 'social justice' stories, and fanning the flames in this regard. The vast power of social media is also largely responsible. Woke insanity can all but destroy a company, a product, or indeed a person, in a single afternoon with just a few words.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

9ideon (4th March 2021), Agape (4th March 2021), Alan (12th March 2021), avid (3rd March 2021), Bill Ryan (3rd March 2021), Blacklight43 (4th March 2021), Brigantia (4th March 2021), Chris Gilbert (3rd March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2021), Ewan (7th March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gemma13 (12th February 2022), gord (3rd March 2021), Gracy (3rd March 2021), Harmony (4th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Inversion (23rd October 2021), Ioneo (3rd March 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (4th March 2021), Journeyman (3rd March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), kudzy (4th March 2021), Lunesoleil (7th March 2021), Mike (5th March 2021), Nasu (3rd March 2021), Open Minded Dude (4th March 2021), palehorse (4th March 2021), Philippe (3rd March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), rgray222 (16th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), T Smith (7th March 2021), thepainterdoug (4th March 2021), Tintin (4th March 2021), toppy (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,531 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Does Society have a Mental Disorder?

It's a VERY interesting concept that human groups of any kind have personalities — and quite often, personality disorders. That would include not only the whole human race, but nations, cultures, religious groups, political groups, cults, professions, cities, families, and so on.

The tremendous 2003 documentary The Corporation presented the argument that many, or maybe all, large corporations are psychopathic by every psychiatric definition.

The logic was compelling. I saw the film on a big screen when it first came out, and when I walked out into the street I could not speak for a whole half hour.

Here that is in the Avalon Library... I highly, highly recommend it:

4. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (4th March 2021), anandacate (4th March 2021), Brigantia (4th March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (3rd March 2021), Harmony (4th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Inversion (23rd October 2021), Jambo (5th March 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (15th June 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), kudzy (4th March 2021), leavesoftrees (4th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th March 2021), Nasu (3rd March 2021), Open Minded Dude (4th March 2021), palehorse (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), T Smith (7th March 2021), thepainterdoug (4th March 2021), Tintin (4th March 2021), toppy (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021), Yoda (3rd March 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,212 times in 1,146 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)

'Wokeness' is strongly linked to virtue signalling, and political correctness. They are all variants of the same disease. It's genesis was totally benign, however.
    I don't think it was. (Dang, you'll think I'm paranoid!)

I think we are the victims of a deliberate piece of social engineering. Weaponised group psychology, a divide and rule strategy carefully planned and executed using all the many tools available to the deep state rulers of the world. There was an interesting study done by a New Zealand website a couple of years ago. They tracked the 'Occupy Wall St' movement from the banking crisis and they showed how key words on google were trending to show people googling the 1% and income redistribution. Then they showed the incidence of stories concerning racial or sexual discrimination in the media started to skyrocket and as they did the talk of redistribution and the 1% disappeared and Occupy Wall St became Black Lives Matter and Antifa, protest movements with mass divisiveness on racial and / or gender lines built into their core identity. Social Media was the most fertile battle ground for this to be seeded within but today we can also see some of the impact of that barrage of media stories, opinion pieces, false flag events, narrative supporting movies, tv shows, albums and concerts etc.

I think the playbook was honed in Maoist China, Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia and probably many more countries over the years. There's a very perceptive piece by someone who lived through the dissolution of Yugoslavia which identified exactly the same things which happened then are now happening to us.

Today, I think a lot of the people pointing the finger at someone for thoughtcrime are doing so out of fear that otherwise they'll be the next one cancelled. There's nothing woke about this, it's the opposite. People are silencing their own inner morality and substituting it for the skewed values the mob are repeating. We're being led to our own destruction and there's nothing accidental about it.

6. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Journeyman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2021), Blacklight43 (4th March 2021), Brigantia (4th March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2021), Ewan (7th March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), gord (17th May 2023), Gracy (6th March 2021), Harmony (4th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Jambo (5th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th March 2021), Open Minded Dude (4th March 2021), palehorse (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Tintin (4th March 2021), toppy (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    France Avalon Member
    Language
    French
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,375 times in 354 posts

I am growing rather convinced that a new type of mass paranoia is at large in society today, a sort of anxious, delusional state of mind that hallucinates forms of racism/sexism/transphobia, etc, that do not actually exist.
    Oh yes and that growing conviction is what will happen for the many . What appears to be rational or scientific will be recognized as the fruit of insanity. Since some years I look at society as a patient in psychotherapy. There are underlying call it archetypical or other but long lost accumulated influences that manifest themselves in a myriad of expressions . The combined work by truth seekers is moving the world thru a delusional band of psychic pain. Just as with individual successful therapy there will be an improved outcome. It is only far more complex and enormous to achieve.

8. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th March 2021), Brigantia (4th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Harmony (4th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Jambo (5th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), toppy (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Perhaps cancel culture and woke madness could be attributed to a form of Apophenia, itself a form of Pareidolia. This is "the tendency to perceive meaningful connections between seemingly unrelated things. Apophenia is defined as the "unmotivated seeing of connections [accompanied by] a specific feeling of abnormal meaningfulness".
    Wow. So yes, I read through all of the group think types of disorders, some I knew of, some were new. Absolutely this is applicable to loose knit groups like the woke culture.

But I think at the same time, if we're going to do this, an equally objective critical eye need be cast to opposite ends of the same spectrum, with a prime example like the Q movement.

I see these examples tending to only dip into wells of information that are assured of pleasing the confirmation bias, the group, while ignoring and/or ridiculing anything different.

I know I'm playing with fire here, but I call 'em like I see 'em, does anyone else see that appeasing confirmation bias is alive and well cross spectrum these days? I see trench warfare, and the trenches are only getting deeper as opposing groups continue to muster their armies for the righteous battle, while taking in only what they want to hear of the despicable other.

I swear it's like an all around spell has been cast...
    Last edited by Gracy; 4th March 2021 at 00:07.

10. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Say it, say it, say it, Gracy May!!!!

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Jambo (5th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (7th March 2021), Satori (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

12. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you for this, Journeyman.

I've not been able to word it so eloquently, but this is, in my mind, is exactlywhat happened. And, though there isn't any way I can prove that it breaks down along party lines, it seems like something people like Steve Bannon might cook up. There is a good chance that the engineering is being done by those who benefit from perpetuating the status quo.

They want the left to think the right are all Q-billies and the right to think the left are all "woke." Lots of fighting, lots of division and who benefits? Same as it ever was.

hey tracked the 'Occupy Wall St' movement from the banking crisis and they showed how key words on google were trending to show people googling the 1% and income redistribution.

Then they showed the incidence of stories concerning racial or sexual discrimination in the media started to skyrocket and as they did the talk of redistribution and the 1% disappeared and Occupy Wall St became Black Lives Matter and Antifa, protest movements with mass divisiveness on racial and / or gender lines built into their core identity.

Social Media was the most fertile battle ground for this to be seeded within but today we can also see some of the impact of that barrage of media stories, opinion pieces, false flag events, narrative supporting movies, tv shows, albums and concerts etc.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ernie Nemeth (4th March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

but then we need come back to the idea that we all came here to play a part. that we have incarnated at this time to play out our chosen parts and interact with our soul family.
    so this idea implies, all is as it should be.

believe me, I scratch my head over this every day

15. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Agape (4th March 2021), Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Harmony (4th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Jambo (5th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (7th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th March 2021), palehorse (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

16. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

Does Society have a Mental Disorder?
    Yes, no doubt about.
    but Everybody?
    No, definitely not.

Just got some personal horrible news, my entire family is getting vaccinated, I am the only one out! which just confirm that I am the black sheep (their words). Their group thinking, peer pressure annoyed me to the point that I do not want to talk about it anymore with them, I wished good luck and I am on my own way now.
    When I asked them, if they even knew what was in that vaccine (the components), they said NO and they don't care, since it came from the government (that's what they believed) it may be good.

A young cousin asked me, "why do you think they want to kill us? It is conspiracy, and it is not good."
    I almost had a stroke on the phone. No further comments.

I will not try to convince them about anything, I have no power to fix stupidity. They really look very strange to me, it is like I do not know who they are anymore. This corona situation is creating gaps between friendship, relationships and families..

Sorry for the mimimi, I thought it was important to share some personal story on this topic.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

17. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Agape (4th March 2021), Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Blacklight43 (6th March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ernie Nemeth (4th March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), gini (6th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Harmony (4th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

18. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    but then we need come back to the idea that we all came here to play a part. that we have incarnated at this time to play out our chosen parts and interact with our soul family.
    so this idea implies, all is as it should be.

believe me, I scratch my head over this every day
    Keep scratching your head. It's a good sign. If you're not confused, you have a problem!

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), heretogrow (6th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), palehorse (2nd April 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,243 times in 4,597 posts

It may require couple more “certified studies” it seems to bring this important subject back to human awareness as “group consciousness”, more commonly tribal consciousness transferred their power historically, in long chain of migration, confluence, domination , subjugation and submergence, including exodus of many group consciousnesses we know nothing about today,
    of our ancestors other than they existed and differed from ours.

But I’d leave the subject in hands of more advanced psychological studies and theories of consciousness than those prevalent and practised during the previous century by western scholars ( still walking their faithful rounds around Jung ) before we die, dry of substance.

The evolution and transference of social consciousnesses is part of every ‘civilised” creatures life experience.
    They range from shared “weather moods” , periods of post-traumatic stress syndrome after wars, genocide or earthquakes to shared positivity bias of privileged societies.

Anxiety syndrome associated with sense of guilt of age, gender and education bias are also widespread and commonly shared in human society.

Most of our successful socialising is based in different forms of curtsying that itself originates from hierarchical patterns of various gnostic orders - now mostly out of order- mixed together to different new cult styles.

With respect to different social groups definitions whether they’re by blood or consciousness , the second being far larger and more important, there is also commonly shared tendency of “search for a culprit” or “identify the intruder” part of phenomenon that may date to social awareness of being prematurely merged with another social consciousness ( identified as “friends or foes”) and losing one’s own unique self definitions and identity to a nameless yet new sense of existence.

I see all these processes should be named , for the benefit of many different groups around the Earth going through the process of much faster rebirthing than ever before,
    these subtle yet deep and moving human experiences should not be overlooked.

It seems to me that we may then understand each other better across the world and its different ethnic groups but not before we can calm our respective biases and take each other seriously.

Mental wellness and illness still seem to be stigma in many of our grandparents generations where people either meticulously ignored or even ridiculed the existence of mind , mental processes and sufferings ,
    relativised its importance to the edge of insensitivity , worshipping the state of material solidity ,
    in preservation of our better future ..(?)

The cleanest - sanest states of society can be only found in nature these days - such as I’ve experienced it with the shepherd people ( Gaddis ) of Himalayas and probably many other such people who don’t read the news ( tongue in cheek 😋 )

Best wishes

🙏

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th March 2021), palehorse (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

22. Link to Post #12
    Turkey Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 times in 216 posts

Quote Does society have a mental disorder?
    Yes, it's called wetiko.

We had a great thread about it:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...p?60718-Wetiko

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Feritciva For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (15th June 2021), Journeyman (4th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (7th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

24. Link to Post #13
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,294 times in 1,173 posts

Yes.

Thst's basically all I can say about it I guess. It's so obvious it hurts my head thinking about it.

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Journeyman (4th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

26. Link to Post #14
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    It's a VERY interesting concept that human groups of any kind have personalities — and quite often, personality disorders. That would include not only the whole human race, but nations, cultures, religious groups, political groups, cults, professions, cities, families, and so on.

The tremendous 2003 documentary The Corporation presented the argument that many, or maybe all, large corporations are psychopathic by every psychiatric definition.

The logic was compelling. I saw the film on a big screen when it first came out, and when I walked out into the street I could not speak for a whole half hour.

Here that is in the Avalon Library... I highly, highly recommend it:
    The 2020 sequel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...cessary_Sequel

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), palehorse (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

28. Link to Post #15
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

I think 'society' always has been sick. At least in the course of history we know. This is why I shun and despise any herd or mob mentality or conformism.

There might have been a 'golden age' (Lemuria, Atlantis in its good times, or 'mankinds' we forgot about in history) where the collective wasn't insane, but we do not see it these days in history.

Whenever I am told by society (media, politicians, people around you who are 'normal', etc.) that I am insane I comfort myself with this quote:

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    - Krishnamurti

Most people seem programmed nowadays or exist in their own reality bubble / echo chamber which they share with their like-minded peers, or in the case of 'mainstream' with the majority of society. I agree to what Gracy May said that this behavioural pattern is also true of any ideological group no matter if left (e.g. antifa) or right (e.e. qanon) on the political spectrum.

Sometimes I think they all must have 'lost' their minds meaning that they really have no mind of their own anymore. Everytime when s.o. speaks in utterances that just could be from a woke or any other political playbook without even questioning what 'they' (was it them at all?) just 'said' I must cringe nowadays, no matter which topic it is (not just identity politics, actually everything). There seem no 'balanced' views anymore. Just black and white. Just fake dichotomies, so you are either this or that, nothing in between or completely different views are admissible anymore.

And yes, the abovementioned psychological concepts such as 'confirmation bias', 'cognitive dissonance' or just sheer will to comply by group 'conformism' come into play. Their omnipresence and power is frightening or (depending on the mood I'm in) saddening me.

If only the many brainwashed 'victims' would apply some common sense but this one has left the building of society long ago. Instead we have the "Emperor's new clothes" situation. Things that are very obviously ridiculous from a common sense viewpoint are the 'new normal' now it seems. And all hell breaks loose if you point that out.

Just one example from Identity Politics now initiated fully by the Biden administration in the US: Allow all trans athletes (male to female) competing in women's sports competions and winning all the time with ease is something you cannot even criticise anymore although it is obviously injust towards 'born' (or 'cis' or whatever label I am officially supposed to use) biological women.

Reality has become satire. Or former satire reality. In my native language we even have the compound word "Realsatire" for this.

This Monty Python sketch from the 70ies seems reality today and you cannot even laugh about it anymore because you are not 'allowed' to. It is probably highly offensive by today's standards.

(Next to common sense also humour has left the building it seems ...)

Don't get me wrong: I would support any trans or any other of the alphabet-people rights for equality and be very vocal against any harassment or discrimination of these people. But the constant bullying and cancel culture activism by the trans, lgbtq and other woke activists in the name of equality and 'social justice' should stop. Plus the injustice in any sports competition which is debunked by biological, scientific and 'common sense' facts, in my view.

Btw, Orwell's "Newspeak" in a way has also become reality by now although it was never meant to be a satire in the first place, maybe more of a warning.
    Too late now. The proverbial sh't has hit the fan.

29. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Antagenet (15th June 2021), Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ewan (7th March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (4th March 2021), Mark (7th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th March 2021), palehorse (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

30. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Journeyman (here)
    I don't think it was. (Dang, you'll think I'm paranoid!)
    I still think it began naturally, as a groundswell if you like of public indignation to racist and sexist imagery, language and stereotyping that was the norm in the UK up to about the 1980s. How many sitcoms from the 70s can you name that just can't be repeated anymore? And not out of wokeness but for good reasons, for just common decency. Some of the old shows are still around on various streaming services, and in honesty it's quite shocking what they got away with back then. Oh, they may still be considered classics, but some of the characterizations they used, scenes, sketches, lines and so forth, are cringeworthy today. Even though very often these racist and sexist tropes were delivered rather tongue in cheek, something had to give eventually.

So in a way, as tolerances changed, particularly in our entertainment, an organic and natural progression took place that said: this is not acceptable anymore. We can do better. In my opinion, this didn't begin as a psyop. It began as a well-meaning shift in social awareness.

What has happened since then is up for debate. I think it's probably very likely, quite as you hypothesize, that this phenomenon we call social justice was captured by social engineers, or 'powers that be' et al, to co-opt human interaction and affairs, theoretically to generate a form of mental, spiritual, and moral dysphoria - with a goal to create even greater divides between the masses. And they're doing this with both extremes, and at the same time. In cancel culture, what was acceptable yesterday is NOT acceptable today. But with the Overton Window situation, specifically the sexualization of children, you have another scenario where what was not acceptable yesterday IS now acceptable today. You could perhaps substitute this resulting moral dysphoria with 'moral schizophrenia'. Imagine an entire society suffering from that. It's becoming more and more evident that many people hardly know what's up and down anymore.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), gini (6th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Journeyman (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Satori (4th March 2021), Sue (Ayt) (4th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

32. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)
    But I think at the same time, if we're going to do this, an equally objective critical eye need be cast to opposite ends of the same spectrum, with a prime example like the Q movement.
    Oh no doubt Gracy, I don't deny that. I'm not a strict 'Q believer', but I am an observer, always have been. Because I find it entirely compelling that there is something there. I don't apologise for that.

By the same token, I'm a keen follower of the UFO phenomenon too. And there are plenty of cultists in that camp, some total nutters believe me! I am not one of those. UFOs are very different. Personally, I know they exist owing to my own experiences. For those who haven't had an experience there is a crap ton of evidence that still support their reality. It's not really a debate anymore.

But we're talking about very different things here. UFO's are evidence-based. Q is data-based (you either believe that data on face value, or you don't). Wokeness on the other hand is abstract. As something purely conceptual it is built on shifting sands. We can only hope it blows away one day.

I suppose the takeaway for me on all this is how, as individuals, we relate to things on a personal level. How do we react to them. Are we a take it or leave it sort of person, or do we form a neuroses - do we get obsessed? UFO belief isn't a cult, yet there are cultists galore in that community. The same for Q, the same for religion, the same for anything belief-driven. The properties of a thing are limited to, and not exceeded by, one's own personal definition of them.

But then yes, we arrive back at the herd mentality argument, and groupthink argument, and everything else on top of that. There lies the danger. Is Q a cult? No. Is the Q movement susceptible to the same psychological forces that could consume and overthrow the mentality of an individual susceptible to obsessive disorders, and therefore create a cultist out of them? Certainly yes.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), ClearWater (4th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ernie Nemeth (6th March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Journeyman (4th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), T Smith (7th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

34. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,307 times in 5,692 posts

Many of these accusations of racism are arbitrarily perceived, as Star said, but they're designed to be that way. “Lived experience” is a term we hear tossed about in the social justice lexicon quite a bit. Someone's lived experience certainly has value, but what it's come to represent in wokeism is twofold:

1) facts no longer matter
    2) intent no longer matters

Without a whole lot of imagination, one can figure out how quickly things can go off the rails when these approaches are applied liberally. A couple quick examples of both:

1) re facts no longer matter: I can't tell you how many times I've heard the following: “Black people are being hunted in the streets.” It's a preposterous statement, has no basis in reality, and is easily debunked by some basic statistics. But none of that matters when “lived experience” is evoked. If someone merely feels or wants to feel like they're being hunted in the streets, it's true regardless of the facts. The “lived experience” game has all sorts of fail-safes built into it. For example, it is now racist, we are told, to ask for details regarding that lived experience. We need to accept it on faith. Not only is it racist to ask, but it's an expression of “privilege” to expect a person of color to offer their “emotional labor” in the process. Ironic for a group of people who seem so desperate to be understood. And the group of people I'm referring to here aren't black folks as a whole - they're woke people who happen to be black. (as I've said many times before, what we're seeing now isn't a race war - it's a woke war masquerading as a race war, filled with all sorts of useful idiots perpetuating the ruse)

2) re intent no longer matters: One only needs to casually scan the cancellation thread here to see how this applies. If intent no longer matters - only one's reaction to words and actions - then anything can be punishable by cancellation by the woke mob. All it takes is one person to take offense. We've seen this multiple times with college professors, who are guilty of nothing other than teaching their classes as they always have. A harmless word or a phrase triggers one or two people, and the next thing you know the professor is “stepping down” after a tearful apology..despite a full confession of guilt and promises to do better in the future and the hiring of carnival barking race hustler Michael Eric Dyson as personal spiritual adviser and “racism educator”.

Just recently paralympian Seth Jahn was fired from the U.S. Soccer Federation's counsel for comments he made during a speech imploring the committee to repeal the rule allowing athletes to kneel during the anthem. He didn't utter a single racist word during that speech, parts of which can be read here(https://sports.yahoo.com/us-soccer-r...143845724.html But the committee voted to remove him anyway for violating a part of the conduct policy that says this: “...it was determined that Mr Jahn violated the section on harassment, which prohibits racial and other harassment based upon a person's protected status (race), including any verbal act in which race is used or implied in a way which would make a reasonable person uncomfortable”

Of course it's impossible to talk about race - or anything else that's polarizing! - these days without making people uncomfortable. If the rule was applied universally it would prohibit anyone from saying anything about race to anyone! It's a preposterous rule. Not meant to be applied universally of course, but only to the people that aren't toeing the woke line. Jahn said nothing factually untrue or inherently offensive – he was fired for making someone uncomfortable. And that's all it takes these days.

note: sorry, the post was slightly off topic. as far as the origins of wokeism, when-how-why it developed, the mechanisms and intent behind it, etc, and why it has resulted in the collective mental disorder we see today: I can explain all that in painstaking detail, and I will when I'm feeling a bit more energetic. It's quite a fascinating tale.
    Last edited by Mike; 6th March 2021 at 05:25.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Ernie Nemeth (6th March 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Journeyman (6th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

36. Link to Post #19
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    (as I've said many times before, what we're seeing now isn't a race war - it's a woke war masquerading as a race war, filled with all sorts of useful idiots perpetuating the ruse)
    I'm still optimistic that the movement will weaken, and begin rapidly losing credibility, as it tries to worm it's way into general society.

Same with the movement that longs to see certain people who are predetermined guilty rounded up off the sheets, or even suffer the ultimate cancellation as in being executed.

Neither are very healthy ways of looking at and interacting with our world, both are highly divisive new sprouts out of an ongoing culture war in general that's been slowly brought towards a boil for decades now, and the stakes only keep getting higher as each is thoroughly convinced of it's virtue.

37. Link to Post #20
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,533 times in 2,553 posts

Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    (as I've said many times before, what we're seeing now isn't a race war - it's a woke war masquerading as a race war, filled with all sorts of useful idiots perpetuating the ruse)
    I'm still optimistic that the movement will weaken, and begin rapidly losing credibility, as it tries to worm it's way into general society.

Same with the movement that longs to see certain people who are predetermined guilty rounded up off the sheets, or even suffer the ultimate cancellation as in being executed.

Neither are very healthy ways of looking at and interacting with our world, both are highly divisive new sprouts out of an ongoing culture war in general that's been slowly brought towards a boil for decades now, and the stakes only keep getting higher as each is thoroughly convinced of it's virtue.
    It's similar to how we deal with cancer.
    We can ignore it and allow it to fully take over, resulting in ultimate destruction of the vessel.
    Or we can radically cut it out in an attempt to brutally and drastically destroy it, often having the same result of destroying the vessel, or the cancer just popping up again in the future.
    Wholistic thinking offers more hopeful solutions, ie humanely correcting the underlying conditions that led to the situation in the first place.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th March 2021), Constance (6th March 2021), Dennis Leahy (15th June 2021), Franny (7th March 2021), Gracy (6th March 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (9th March 2021), Mike (6th March 2021), Reinhard (7th March 2021), Victoria (8th March 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast