Thread: The Wall Of Shame

1. Link to Post #161
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,492 times in 4,308 posts

Default Re: The Wall Of Shame

There is, thankfully, another side to this. Perhaps there should be another thread called The Wall of Fame!

Tremendously impressed with this woman (below) for stepping up, especially given her professional. I've seen her for years reporting from the sidelines of NFL games. I saw her just this past weekend in the Superbowl. This was her last sportscast.

Who would have thought these people aren't all robot npcs! Not all as it turns out. Michele Tafoya's conscience won out over her career, and good for her.

Last edited by Mark (Star Mariner); 17th February 2022 at 18:50.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th February 2022), DNA (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), Ivanhoe (25th June 2022), Mashika (18th February 2022), Matthew (17th February 2022), Mike (17th February 2022), palehorse (22nd February 2022), Reinhard (10th May 2022), RunningDeer (14th August 2022), Satori (18th February 2022)

3. Link to Post #162
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Quote Posted by Malisa (here)
    It's precisely what happens when one is enabled repetitively and never required to assume personal responsibility for themselves and their foibles.
    Being a '40 year old 6 year old person' is very hard, i still remember when i was 6, what a mess it can be

I still know how to throw a gigantic tantrum, let me know if you need one. But i specially in "me me me me me", i don't throw them for pets or toys

Do you tantrum in English or Russian? Or Spanish? I bet you're an excellent tantrumer in any language.

I haven't had a good tantrum in a while. Tantruming requires energy, and I have very little. But last week i stormed around my place for a good minute or so, demanding to know where my TV remote was. Thing is, no one else was around, just me, so even I'm not sure who or what I was yelling at. Anyway, i soon realized that the remote had been in my hand all along
    My guess is she speaks in foreign language but as she gets more annoyed the mother tongue starts to show itself.

I thought you were more Jekyll/Hide like myself. I don't really tantrum I just flip a switch and go from hippy/dippy "lets all get along" to William Wallace, time to pick a fight. (19 second clip)
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

DNA (11th March 2022), Mashika (18th February 2022), Mike (17th February 2022), palehorse (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (14th August 2022)

5. Link to Post #163
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,303 times in 5,692 posts

Quote Posted by Mark (Star Mariner) (here)
    There is, thankfully, another side to this. Perhaps there should be another thread called The Wall of Fame!

Tremendously impressed with this woman (below) for stepping up, especially given her professional. I've seen her for years reporting from the sidelines of NFL games. I saw her just this past weekend in the Superbowl. This was her last sportscast.

Who would have thought these people aren't all robot npcs! Not all as it turns out. Michele Tafoya's conscience won out over her career, and good for her.

Hi Mark, I love Michelle Tafoya. What a treasure.

After I saw her on 'The View' I scrambled around looking for ways to contact her. I just wanted to tell her how great she was on the show. I never really contact anybody, even people I know! LOL. So that's saying something.

I think your thread idea is a really good one
    Last edited by Mike; 17th February 2022 at 19:25.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th February 2022), DNA (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th February 2022), Mashika (18th February 2022), palehorse (22nd February 2022), rgray222 (17th February 2022), RunningDeer (14th August 2022), Satori (18th February 2022)

7. Link to Post #164
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Quote Posted by Malisa (here)
    It's precisely what happens when one is enabled repetitively and never required to assume personal responsibility for themselves and their foibles.
    Being a '40 year old 6 year old person' is very hard, i still remember when i was 6, what a mess it can be

I still know how to throw a gigantic tantrum, let me know if you need one. But i specially in "me me me me me", i don't throw them for pets or toys

Do you tantrum in English or Russian? Or Spanish? I bet you're an excellent tantrumer in any language.

I haven't had a good tantrum in a while. Tantruming requires energy, and I have very little. But last week i stormed around my place for a good minute or so, demanding to know where my TV remote was. Thing is, no one else was around, just me, so even I'm not sure who or what I was yelling at. Anyway, i soon realized that the remote had been in my hand all along
    My guess is she speaks in foreign language but as she gets more annoyed the mother tongue starts to show itself.

I thought you were more Jekyll/Hide like myself. I don't really tantrum I just flip a switch and go from hippy/dippy "lets all get along" to William Wallace, time to pick a fight. (19 second clip)
    When that happens, I call it RuSpanGlish
    Tired

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), DNA (11th March 2022), Ivanhoe (25th June 2022), Mike (18th February 2022), palehorse (22nd February 2022), RunningDeer (14th August 2022), Strat (18th February 2022), Vangelo (18th February 2022), Vicus (18th March 2022)

9. Link to Post #165
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

I am surprised this article about academic wokeness hasn't made it to Avalon yet. Even the New York Times noticed how several academic journals had been hoaxed by fake intellectuals, writing really bad papers and getting some of them published. Since this is behind a paywall, I am including the whole article here, plus the Joe Rogan interview of two of the three individuals that produced this hilariously brilliant expose.

Hoaxers Slip Breastaurants and Dog-Park Sex Into Journals
    By Jennifer Schuessler
    New York Times - Oct. 4, 2018
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/a...nals-hoax.html

One paper, published in a journal called Sex Roles, said that the author had conducted a two-year study involving “thematic analysis of table dialogue” to uncover the mystery of why heterosexual men like to eat at Hooters.

Another, from a journal of feminist geography, parsed “human reactions to rape culture and queer performativity” at dog parks in Portland, Ore., while a third paper, published in a journal of feminist social work and titled “Our Struggle Is My Struggle,” simply scattered some up-to-date jargon into passages lifted from Hitler’s “Mein Kampf.”

Such offerings may or may not have raised eyebrows among the journals’ limited readerships. But this week, they unleashed a cascade of mockery — along with a torrent of debate about ethics of hoaxes, the state of peer review and the excesses of academia — when they were revealed to be part of an elaborate prank aimed squarely at what the authors labeled “grievance studies.”

“Something has gone wrong in the university — especially in certain fields within the humanities,” the three authors of the fake papers wrote in an article in the online journal Areo explaining what they had done. “Scholarship based less upon finding truth and more upon attending to social grievances has become firmly established, if not fully dominant, within these fields.”

Their project quickly drew comparisons to a famous 1996 hoax in which the physicist Alan Sokal got a paper mixing postmodern philosophy with the theory of quantum gravity into a prestigious cultural studies journal.

But while that hoax involved a single article, the new one involved 20 papers, produced every two weeks or so, submitted to various journals over nearly a year.

The authors — Helen Pluckrose, James A. Lindsay and Peter Boghossian — said that four papers had been published; three had been accepted but not yet published; seven were under review and six had been rejected.

Embarrassed journal editors quickly stamped the word “Retracted” across published papers this week, while the hoax drew appreciation from scholars who tend to be skeptical of work focusing on race, gender, sexuality and other forms of identity.

“Is there any idea so outlandish that it won’t be published in a Critical/PoMo/Identity/‘Theory’ journal?” the psychologist and author Steven Pinker tweeted.

Yascha Mounk, a political scientist at Harvard, called the hoax “hilarious and delightful” on Twitter. In an interview, he said of the authors, “What they have shown is that certain journals, and perhaps to an extent certain fields, can’t distinguish between serious scholarship and a ridiculous intellectual hoax.”

But where some saw a healthy unmasking of pernicious nonsense, others — including a number who work far from the more outré realms of the humanities — saw a sour, nasty rerun of a culture-wars chestnut that proved little more than that you can always fool some of the people some of the time.

“What strikes me about stunts like this is their fundamental meanness,” Sean Carroll, a physicist at the California Institute of Technology, wrote on Twitter. “No attempt to intellectually engage with ideas you disagree with; just trolling for lulz.”

Jacob T. Levy, a political theorist at McGill University in Montreal, said in an interview that even some colleagues who are not fans of identity-oriented scholarship are looking at the hoax and saying “this is potentially unethical and doesn’t show what they think it is showing.”

Besides, he added, “We all recognize that this kind of thing could also be done in our disciplines if people were willing to dedicate a year to it.”

The hoaxers, for their part, disputed that they were motivated by political animus.

In a joint telephone interview, Mr. Boghossian, an assistant professor of philosophy at Portland State University, and Mr. Lindsay, a writer with a doctorate in math, described themselves as “on the left,” and supportive of social justice “in the common parlance.”

As for accusations of trolling, they said the scholars engaged in “grievance studies” were the ones fanning the flames of the culture wars. Their only goal, they said, was to protect the integrity of scholarship, which they suggested was lower in the fields they targeted.

“Is it possible that people with no Ph.D. in any field could write a paper in that field every two weeks and get it published?” Mr. Boghossian said. “That’s the question I’d ask.”

The origins of their experiment date to last summer, when Mr. Boghossian and Mr. Lindsay published a bogus paper called “The Conceptual Penis as a Social Construct” in a journal called Cogent Social Sciences.

The paper drew an incredulous response in the press, and critics pointed out that the journal was a marginal pay-to-publish operation that was hardly representative of the scholarly mainstream.

So they tried again, teaming up with Ms. Pluckrose, a self-described “exile from the humanities” and the editor in chief of Areo. They set out to write 20 papers that started with “politically fashionable conclusions,” which they worked backward to support by aping the relevant fields’ methods and arguments, and sometimes inventing data.

The Hooters paper identified themes of “sexual objectification, sexual conquest, male control of women, masculine toughness, and (as a minor theme) rationalizations for why men frequent breastaurants.”

The purpose of that particular paper, the three architects of the hoax wrote in Areo, was “to see if journals will publish papers that seek to problematize heterosexual men’s attraction to women and will accept very shoddy qualitative methodology and ideologically-motivated interpretations which support this.”

In “Human Reactions to Rape Culture and Queer Performativity at Urban Dog Parks in Portland, Ore.,” by “Helen Wilson,” one of their made-up researcher names, the study purported to observe dogs having sex, and how their owners reacted, to draw conclusions about humans’ sexual attitudes.

Humans intervened 97 percent of the time when male dogs were “raping/humping” other male dogs, the paper said. But when a male dog was mating with a female, humans intervened only 32 percent of the time and actually laughed out loud 18 percent of the time.

The paper’s author cautioned: “Because of my own situatedness as a human, rather than as a dog, I recognize my limitations in being able to determine when an incidence of dog humping qualifies as rape.”

That paper, published in Gender, Place & Culture, might have succeeded too well. In July, after it was publicized by New Real Peer Review, a Twitter account dedicated to mocking absurd-seeming research, journalists began sniffing around. The project was suspended while several papers were still under review or in the process of being published. The hoax was first reported this week on the Op-Ed page of The Wall Street Journal under the headline “Fake News Comes to Academia.”

Several of the duped journals have issued statements decrying the hoax. Ann Garry, an interim co-editor of Hypatia, a leading feminist philosophy journal that had accepted but not yet published the paper “When the Joke’s on You” (a feminist critique of “unethical” hoaxes, as it happens), said she was “deeply disappointed.”

“Referees put in a great deal of time and effort to write meaningful reviews, and the idea that individuals would submit fraudulent academic material violates many ethical and academic norms,” said Ms. Garry, a professor emerita of philosophy at California State University, Los Angeles.

Nicholas Mazza, a professor emeritus of social work at Florida State University and editor of the issue of The Journal of Poetry Therapy that accepted the article “Moon Meetings and the Meaning of Sisterhood: A Poetic Portrayal of Lived Feminist Spirituality” (described by the hoaxers as “a rambling poetic monologue of a bitter divorced feminist, much of which was produced by a teenage angst poetry generator”), noted that the article was based on the supposed author’s personal experience.

“Although a valuable point was learned regarding the authenticity of articles/authors, it should be noted that the authors of the ‘study’ clearly engaged in flawed and unethical research,” Mr. Mazza said.

Some critics of the exercise noted that of the journals successfully fooled by the articles, only a few, including Hypatia, have significant standing. Most were interdisciplinary journals in highly niche fields, where there is less agreement about acceptable methodologies and the standards of peer review.

The hoaxers, however, noted that even scholarship that is barely read has consequences, and that seven accepted papers in a single year makes for an impressive resume.

“Seven papers published over seven years,” they wrote in Areo, “is frequently claimed to be the number sufficient to earn tenure.”
    Correction: Oct. 5, 2018

An earlier version of this article misidentified the Twitter account that publicized a fraudulent academic article about dog parks. The account is called New Real Peer Review, not Real Peer Review, which was the name of an account that was closed. An earlier version also mischaracterized the status of one of the hoax papers. The paper, “When the Joke’s on You,” had been accepted by the journal Hypatia, but it had not yet been published.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/a...nals-hoax.html

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), DNA (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th March 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd February 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Michel Leclerc (14th August 2022), Mike (22nd February 2022), Nasu (24th April 2022), RunningDeer (14th August 2022), Siphonemis (22nd February 2022)

11. Link to Post #166
    Thanks

It's crazy Chris, isn't it?? Totally bonkers.

I did start a thread on that way back when, if memory serves.

All three of those people - James, Peter, and Helen - are really bright, thoughtful, and brave people. I would encourage everyone to check out their work, for what it's worth.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th March 2022), Kryztian (22nd February 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd February 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), RunningDeer (14th August 2022), Vangelo (22nd February 2022)

13. Link to Post #167
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

New phrase in the comedy world: Pulling a Jussie.
    • 150 days in jail, 30 months probation, $120,000 in restitution and a $25,000 fine.
    Hate crime hoaxer Jussie Smollett sentenced to jail (2 min)

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th March 2022), Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), DNA (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), jaybee (11th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th March 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Mike (11th March 2022), onawah (12th March 2022), Strat (11th March 2022), wondering (11th March 2022)

15. Link to Post #168
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    New phrase in the comedy world: Pulling a Jussie.
    • 150 days in jail, 30 months probation, $120,000 in restitution and a $25,000 fine.
    Hate crime hoaxer Jussie Smollett sentenced to jail (2 min)

A strong statement had to be made against this sort of thing. So that's good.

Although this guy is a world class idiot, he's not dumb enough to not know that his hoax would have in all likelihood resulted in rioting, looting, and death had he been believed. He didn't care. It would have all been worth it to him if he got to play the hero-vicitm for a while.

He hasn't demonstrated any regret and hasn't made any apologies. The dude is a sociopath.

He's actually a good case study for this sort of thing. Narcissism and entitlement and the coddling of such - and the emphasis on victimhood and all its rewards - over the course of one's childhood and college years, all encouraged by far left radicals results in this kind of individual. Watch out though, he's just the first among many we'll hear about moving forward trying to pull stunts of this nature.

Critical theory teaches that the world is inherently racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic etc. Therefore according to its "logic" any act that that exposes or attempts to expose those things is entirely justified...even if it's a hoax. You'll notice that this guy Smollet and his supporters really and truly think he's being wronged here. It's astounding.

It's just bad all the way around, because now there will be unfair doubt surrounding real cases of racism and bigotry in the future. He just made it harder for black folks than it already is.

Kudos to the judge for being firm and handing down an appropriate punishment.
    Last edited by Mike; 11th March 2022 at 19:38.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2022), Ewan (12th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th March 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th March 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Nasu (24th April 2022), onawah (12th March 2022), RunningDeer (11th March 2022), Strat (11th March 2022), wondering (12th March 2022)

17. Link to Post #169
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,187 times in 4,071 posts

This will show those transphobes, look how they're beaten by a trans. Victory, unless you're a transphobe.

Wait, I'm being sarcastic, I'm not really a Leftwaffe. But enjoy the parody because soon satire won't exist at all ...when all of real life is this ridiculous. Now with no sarcasm I feel sorry for the trans woman who won because she didn't make the rules and she must feel isolated right now, she's a victim just as much as the other birds.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (28th March 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (19th March 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Merkaba360 (28th March 2022), Nasu (24th April 2022), RunningDeer (18th March 2022), wondering (18th March 2022)

19. Link to Post #170
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I don't know but I assume he is a comedian.

Anyway, enough of being serious; time for me to be sarcasting: shame on anyone who's not doing this at their local town council or village hall committee meetings.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th April 2022), ClearWater (25th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (28th March 2022), Kryztian (25th March 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Merkaba360 (28th March 2022), RunningDeer (24th March 2022)

21. Link to Post #171
    Thanks

Another Hollywood Drama Queen throws a hysterical hissy fit to show his undying love for NATO, Big Oil, and Ukranian Nazis.

Actor Sean Penn says he'll destroy his own Oscar if Ukraine's Zelenskyy isn't allowed to speak during broadcast
    Penn said it will be "the most obscene moment in Hollywood history" if Zelenskyy isn't allowed to speak.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-spe-rcna21732

By Kalhan Rosenblatt

Actor Sean Penn says he will destroy his Academy Award if Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy isn't allowed to speak during the Oscars broadcast.

In an interview with CNN, Penn, 61, said having Zelenskyy speak during Sunday's broadcast was of the utmost importance.

"There is nothing greater that the Academy Awards could do than to give him that opportunity to talk to all of us," Penn said.

He said that if Zelenskyy isn't given the floor for an address during the broadcast, he will destroy his own Oscar.

"When I return, I will smelt mine in public," he said. "I pray that’s not what happens."

article continues at: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-spe-rcna21732

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th April 2022), Bluegreen (28th March 2022), Johnnycomelately (28th March 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Matthew (15th April 2022), onawah (28th March 2022), RunningDeer (28th March 2022), wondering (28th March 2022)

23. Link to Post #172
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kryztian (here)
    Another Hollywood Drama Queen throws a hysterical hissy fit to show his undying love for NATO, Big Oil, and Ukranian Nazis.

Actor Sean Penn says he'll destroy his own Oscar if Ukraine's Zelenskyy isn't allowed to speak during broadcast
    Penn said it will be "the most obscene moment in Hollywood history" if Zelenskyy isn't allowed to speak.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-spe-rcna21732

By Kalhan Rosenblatt

Actor Sean Penn says he will destroy his Academy Award if Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy isn't allowed to speak during the Oscars broadcast.

In an interview with CNN, Penn, 61, said having Zelenskyy speak during Sunday's broadcast was of the utmost importance.

"There is nothing greater that the Academy Awards could do than to give him that opportunity to talk to all of us," Penn said.

He said that if Zelenskyy isn't given the floor for an address during the broadcast, he will destroy his own Oscar.

"When I return, I will smelt mine in public," he said. "I pray that’s not what happens."

article continues at: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-spe-rcna21732
    ⚠️ SARCASM WARNING! ⚠️

I hope Sean Penn gets his way and saves the world. Shame on the Academy Awards for trying to stop him.

But now it's shame on Biden's secret service employee who's being unreasonable. The audacity of this Secret Service agent is off the scale.
    https://www.tmz.com/2022/04/14/major...service-pissed

... The Secret Service agent who was bitten twice actually wanted the Bidens to pay for his torn coat. No word on whether the Bidens forked over the cash.

The agent in question was actually reprimanded by a superior for writing too graphic an account of the incidents. The superior wrote, "Please submit with the language that has been approved by [the legal office]. Unless you dispute anything in the verbiage that was presented to you, there shouldn't be a need to embellish with additional details that aren't required for approval."

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th April 2022), Dennis Leahy (10th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (15th April 2022), Kryztian (15th April 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), RunningDeer (15th April 2022)

25. Link to Post #173
    Thanks

An anonymous Dartmouth Student who, we discover in the video, is a paid worker of the Democratic Party and is interviewed by James O'Keefe of Project Veritas.

If you don't have time to watch the entire video, just start at 11:14 for the final meltdown:

What I find real admirable about O'Keefe is that he isn't out to humiliate or shame the guy, just to expose him to the contradictions within his own thinking. What a great world it would be if we were all trying to do the same thing, argue not to win points or a sense of satisfaction that we are right and wrong, but patiently talk to others and force them to think through their arguments in a logical manner, while allowing them to do the same to you.

I don't really think the "Hall of Shame" badge goes to this student, but to the people who are creating and this left/right mind control that is dividing us and keeping us from seeing where the real demons in our society are.

26. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th April 2022), ClearWater (25th April 2022), Dennis Leahy (10th May 2022), DNA (25th April 2022), Ivanhoe (10th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (25th April 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Matthew (24th April 2022), Michel Leclerc (15th August 2022), Mike (25th April 2022), Nasu (24th April 2022), RunningDeer (24th April 2022), Satori (10th May 2022), Strat (24th April 2022), Vangelo (25th April 2022), wondering (24th April 2022)

27. Link to Post #174
    Thanks

BREAKING NEWS!

Pop star Demi Lovato has added she/her pronouns to her Instagram account.

You will all recall, of course, that not too long ago Lovato had announced that she was changing her pronouns to they/them. Well after taking they/them for a few laps around the track she has updated her thinking. For team sanity it's only half a victory, sadly..because although Lovato has reclaimed she/her, she will still retain they/them as she moves forward in her preposterously self-indulgent, narcissistic, naval-gazing journey to "self-discovery".

How do we know whether to use she/her or they/them when referring to Lovato in the future? Do we flip a coin? Pray to the pronoun gods and wait for a sign? Well I'm not sure yet. But considering Lovato's tendency for shameless, attention hogging PR stunts, I suspect she will hold a news conference sometime soon to enlighten us all.

For all those concerned, we will be holding a 24 hour vigil this weekend in the hope that our combined thoughts and prayers will persuade God to relocate this insufferable creature to a planet far, far away..preferably 100 million light years or more in distance

https://www.theblaze.com/news/demi-l...male-nonbinary
    Last edited by Mike; 10th May 2022 at 11:44.

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th May 2022), ClearWater (10th May 2022), Dennis Leahy (10th May 2022), DNA (26th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (13th May 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (10th May 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Matthew (10th May 2022), onawah (10th May 2022), RunningDeer (10th May 2022), wondering (10th May 2022)

29. Link to Post #175
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 838 posts

For all those concerned, we will be holding a 24 hour vigil this weekend in the hope that our combined thoughts and prayers will persuade God to relocate this insufferable creature to a planet far, far away..preferably 100 million light years or more in distance
    In a galaxy far, far away, there is a small planet where it's inhabitants held a vigil and prayed to their God to please relocate a certain insufferable individual to another planet 100 light years distant. Their God said "It is done".

Sucks to be us.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th May 2022), DNA (15th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (13th May 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Matthew (17th May 2022), Mike (13th May 2022), RunningDeer (14th May 2022)

31. Link to Post #176
    Language
    English
    Thanks

There are refugees, refugees and now also refugees

This guy is only a refugee, not a refugee or a refugee. Come on mate, figure it out tut

Kurdish refugee humiliated after being refused free travel on train from Swansea to Barry

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2022-...ansea-to-barry

Raman was refused travel from Swansea to Barry and told the scheme is "only for Ukrainian refugees"
    Credit: Media Wales

A Kurdish refugee has spoken of how he was humiliated when a train worker refused him entry and told him the Welsh Government’s free rail travel for refugees scheme “wasn’t for him”.
    Raman, 32, came to Wales in August of 2020 after walking from Greece for 45 days.

He now lives in Swansea after being based in the Penally asylum seeker camp before he was given his refugee status in March.

His experience on Transport for Wales came when he tried to travel from Swansea to Barry where he had been offered work experience.
    Raman, who receives £40.85 a week from the UK government as a refugee, could not afford a ticket so wanted to use the Welsh government's promise of free rail travel for refugees.

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th May 2022), DNA (15th August 2022), jaybee (26th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (25th May 2022), Kryztian (26th May 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Michel Leclerc (15th August 2022), Mike (26th May 2022), RunningDeer (25th May 2022)

33. Link to Post #177
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,959 times in 2,206 posts

Quote Posted by Matthew (here)
    Raman was refused travel from Swansea to Barry and told the scheme is "only for Ukrainian refugees"
    Credit: Media Wales
    "All refugees are equal but some are more equal than others...."

Orwellish quote...

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th May 2022), DNA (15th August 2022), graciousb (28th May 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Matthew (26th May 2022), onawah (25th June 2022), RunningDeer (26th May 2022)

35. Link to Post #178
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,728 times in 4,313 posts

BREAKING NEWS!

You will all recall, of course, that not too long ago Lovato had announced that she was changing her pronouns to they/them. Well after taking they/them for a few laps around the track she has updated her thinking. For team sanity it's only half a victory, sadly..because although Lovato has reclaimed she/her, she will still retain they/them as she moves forward in her preposterously self-indulgent, narcissistic, naval-gazing journey to "self-discovery".

How do we know whether to use she/her or they/them when referring to Lovato in the future? Do we flip a coin? Pray to the pronoun gods and wait for a sign? Well I'm not sure yet. But considering Lovato's tendency for shameless, attention hogging PR stunts, I suspect she will hold a news conference sometime soon to enlighten us all.

Pray to the pronoun gods. I laughed so ****ing hard when I heard that. That's good Mike.
    What the hell is up with "they them?"
    Isn't that plural? How do you refer to a singular person in the plural form? Did I miss something here?

Mike, off topic, you should do a thread where you video chat with members once a week or a month.
    I think it would be legendary.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th June 2022), Ivanhoe (26th June 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Matthew (26th May 2022), Mike (26th May 2022), onawah (25th June 2022), RunningDeer (26th May 2022)

37. Link to Post #179
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    BREAKING NEWS!

Pray to the pronoun gods. I laughed so ****ing hard when I heard that. That's good Mike.
    What the hell is up with "they them?"
    Isn't that plural? How do you refer to a singular person in the plural form? Did I miss something here?

Mike, off topic, you should do a thread where you video chat with members once a week or a month.
    I think it would be legendary.
    Oh wow I'd like to watch that! So many formats could work:

"An audience with Mike"
    "Mike time"

or, ...while my imagination is going crazy: a quick fire Q&A with random active members?

"20 seconds with _______" or
    "3 random questions for _______" or
    "How to win friends and influence ______" or
    "____ on the Mike"

This tickles me, I'm having far too much fun with it... I'm very much out of turn spouting ideas like this (apologies DNA & Mike! ). Basically I generally love this idea

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th June 2022), DNA (26th May 2022), Ivanhoe (26th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th May 2022), Kryztian (31st May 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Mike (26th May 2022), onawah (25th June 2022), RunningDeer (26th May 2022), wondering (26th May 2022)

39. Link to Post #180
    Thanks

Hope there is no statue of limitations on qualifying for the Wall of Shame. This one is from 28 years ago, a teacher named "Adam".

40. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Ankle Biter (25th June 2022), Bill Ryan (24th June 2022), DNA (15th August 2022), Ivanhoe (26th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th June 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (27th June 2022), Mashika (24th June 2022), Michel Leclerc (15th August 2022), Mike (8th July 2022), onawah (25th June 2022), Orph (25th June 2022), RunningDeer (24th June 2022), Sue (Ayt) (25th June 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 9 10 LastLast