Thread: Om Mani Padme Hum

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member Arcturian108's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,326 times in 930 posts

Default Re: Om Mani Padme Hum

As a Teacher of Transcendental Meditation for the past 45 years, I clearly remember Maharishi Mahesh Yogi instructing the Teachers that the mantra 'om' should not be used by women unless they wish to be celibate, and live the life of a nun. The mantra 'om' according to the Hindu tradition will induce celibacy, and if one doesn't know this can result in all kinds of chaos and misery in the life of a householder. I recently was reminded of this in a book titled Roots of TM by Paul Mason. (discussed on page 102)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arcturian108 For This Post:

Hym (1st July 2021), Lunesoleil (14th March 2021), Mashika (14th March 2021), Pam (1st July 2021), Sunny-side-up (30th June 2021)

3. Link to Post #42
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by Arcturian108 (here)
    As a Teacher of Transcendental Meditation for the past 45 years, I clearly remember Maharishi Mahesh Yogi instructing the Teachers that the mantra 'om' should not be used by women unless they wish to be celibate, and live the life of a nun. The mantra 'om' according to the Hindu tradition will induce celibacy, and if one doesn't know this can result in all kinds of chaos and misery in the life of a householder. I recently was reminded of this in a book titled Roots of TM by Paul Mason. (discussed on page 102)
    That's why I'm no householder

Cultural specific religious views? Not something i would follow, I build my own path
    Tired

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Hym (1st July 2021), kfm27917 (30th June 2021), Pam (1st July 2021), Sunny-side-up (30th June 2021)

5. Link to Post #43
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    https://tricycle.org/beginners/buddh...-by-suffering/

This is a good start maybe.
    Seems pretty close to the western definition ... Am I some sort of weird anomaly, that looks at things in life that others see as tragedy and only see's "life's events" without a strong emotional reaction? Am I a psychopath? Is the alleviation of suffering requiring the psychopathic mindset? I dunno ... I don't think I'm a psychopath, I do have strong emotions, but I feel I do not "suffer" as is keeping to be explained to me ... did Jesus suffer? Not that I am Christian .. I am not ... just trying to figure all this out ...

I hope Mashika can give me perhaps a better definition of suffering that jibes with my experience? Or am I the freak here? (for the record I am ok with being the "freak" ... I just am navigating the world as I see it with the world as everyone else sees it, as that is what reality is made of - my reality and everyone else's reality = reality, no one's is better than any others)
    Just so you know

Every single time you fight back against what other people like me say, you get farther away from the truth you seem to wish to reach

But like i said "you don't understand that you don't understand"

I just wish that you would listen, instead of fighting back, because i could have lots of things to say, but i'm so tired of having the exact same conversation over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... and over non stop

Why can't people in the west just simply say "i don't know, what does this mean"? Regardless of who they are speaking to?

It would be so easy, and yet
    Everyone knows what "suffering" means and you won't avoid confusion if you keep using it differently. So how about using a different word for "Buddhist suffering" then? Along with a definition?
    Sure, the word is 'Dukkha', and the actual concept goes beyond just "suffering" as in pain or hurt or something that causes me to feel unhappy. I don't think i'm going to be able to explain it correctly because it is learned without words, and written explanations always are missing the core of it

It's more like "general dissatisfaction",

Dukkha-dukkha
    For when you get hurt, emotional or physical hurt, as you live, your body dies second by second, you sometimes can feel it over the short time, but always over the long term, you grow old and start seeing it and feeling the changes

Viparinama-dukkha
    Like when you were enjoying something very much but it goes away or loses the property that made you enjoy it and you stop enjoying, it's 'suffering' too

Sankhara-dukkha
    Like going to work, achieving what you meant to do, but having a feeling of dissatisfaction because it got done but you hoped to get it done in a different way. That's 'suffering' also, even if everything is ok in your day and life at that moment and there's nothing to complain about

Picking up an icecream cone and enjoying it and then going home thinking about how it tasted good but you must not have another one. That's 'suffering'

Going to the park one afternoon and having a great time, then going home and watching the sun go down and longing to be able to come back next week and have more memories and fun with your family.. That's 'suffering'
    If I may ...

This makes sense. I would say though, that "suffering" is a potential result of these dukkhas - I believe there's a space between "how it occurs" and the "suffering that results" (perhpas there's a bit of semantics at play here) that one can potentially intercept if they so choose. You may not agree, or feel that it is "right" or "ok" to do so, and that's a valid point of view to have (just not how I see it), but perhaps that is a different matter and a different topic.
    Perhaps something I missed

To me, from my point of view, suffering doesn't happen inside life, life happens inside suffering, the act of existing and being aware of existence, is suffering

All the things happening in our lives happen within the suffering of existence. As opposed to we can feel things and sometimes things happen that make us suffer

That's why it means something different, in that buddhist context
    Got it, but I just think there's a bit more distinction to be had, and thus the slight differing of the picture we are each painting here. I feel if you dissect it down further, there is more details to be found, and these details can bring a different type of picture or understanding. That probably sums up the differentiating viewpoints.
    Yes, that's why I said that it could take years, and that if someone picks up eastern concepts they need to look deep and not try to reinterpret them so they match notions of western world.

The trip from zero to understanding some aspects of eastern culture can take decades, or entire life, so if taken seriously, time must be spent on it before being able to use references to it.

It has to be natural, being born into this causes a very different view of life and reality, than learning it later on in life. So teachers ask, forget all you know and start from scratch, as a new born baby. So that the mind doesn't try to mash (no pune intended lol) two cultures that sometimes conflict on their concepts or view points
    Tired

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Hym (1st July 2021), Pam (1st July 2021)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Sometimes, it does get very tiring when i get my own culture explained to me
    You should try on my shoes some day.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

9. Link to Post #45
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,290 times in 1,184 posts

Lightbulb Re: Om Mani Padme Hum

Merci pour la découverte 🙏

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Ankle Biter (1st July 2021), Pam (1st July 2021)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

I wonder if chanting OM as a form of birth control is the cause of the over population in India? And why aren't they practising "yogic flying" instead of getting in traffic jams? Seriously, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi is the biggest comedian India has every produced. Well, not that great, because you're not supposed to laugh at your own jokes, and he always giggled at the end of each piece of BS he spouted to his followers.

Woah! that was a close one! Almost got hit by a flying TMer! :-)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Hym (14th March 2021), Mashika (15th March 2021), Pam (1st July 2021)

13. Link to Post #47
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Wink Re: Om Mani Padme Hum

Well, not that great, because you're not supposed to laugh at your own jokes, and he was always giggling at the end of every bit of BS he threw at his followers.

thank you for the clarification of information.

And why shouldn't laughter be a quality in this situation?

There are two date of birth :
    January 12, 1917 (astrotheme)
    January 12, 2018 (astrodienst)

Many Satunians practice humor, so laughter as an instrument of diversion and enemies of a perhaps deeply pessimistic nature?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

15. Link to Post #48
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,375 times in 1,569 posts

What I am about to write may seem a little of topic, but it is not, please read..

Muay Thai, Muay Chaiya, Muay Boran and other styles of Muay share one same thing, they all have mantras, they call it in Thai as "Katas" (not to be confused with kata of karate) which is nothing more than a "prayer" in the real sense of it, the name originated from Sanskrit, it is part of the martial art training, you can't just ignore it, there is no other way around, anyone interested in these martial arts will have to learn and practice all this things that comes with it, even if one do not believe anything about prayer or mantras. Now compare it with combat sports like UFC show on TeeVee that someone knocks the opponent down and receive a nice shining belt in return, it is a huge lack of respect (cage, ring seriously?), and yes it include Muay Thai and traditional Boxing and all the attraction they created around cock fighters for profit, martial art is a way more than that, it is life commitment, for those who are really serious about the art, the rest is just the rest, pure distraction for the masses. (sorry for the rant).

Mantras (Katas) are part of the daily training of serious martial artists (ask anyone seriously committed), one thing does not exist without the other, obviously I am not talking about any gym on the corner offering muay thai training or any sort of fight club... ;P

Breaking down what it is about and I can speak based only in my direct experience with it, mantras in general, in a few words it is an invocation based "mostly" on Buddhism psalms (yeah! there is what is called black magic, and it has nothing at all to do with Buddhism), it is power energetically directed in order to achieve some specific result, that's how mantras and magic spells work in general lines (but it is more complex than that).

By the way Muay Boran was forbidden in Thailand during many years, because the nature of the martial art, it is a powerful weapon that once one master the movements (the perfect manipulation and control of the flow of the body energy), it is possible to kill someone with a finger! Many of these movements in the martial art still forbidden nowadays and the government support and approve only the Thai Boxing mostly known as "Muay Thai" or "Thai Boxing" that is presented in stadiums and TeeVee.

I trained Muay Chaiya for 1 year and few months, the master was over 70 years old and he had no one except one American student that will or will not pass his knowledge along, he is or was a simple man with martial art knowledge, I believe he passed away years ago because his training center (his house) was closed last time I went there and nobody could tell me what happened to him, it is not easy to find a fully competent master to teach these martial arts today and they are pretty much overlooked, I was luck I could learned a few things, include some Katas with him.

If anyone here are into mantras, have sure you learned what it is about, before reciting, before using your vital energy, it has power and things happen for real not today but maybe later, old saying beware of what you are asking for, it may become your reality, I do not listen to mantras before study carefully what it is all about and then learn how to properly invoke with guidance if necessary. I am not saying that anyone should have a master or be your own master, I am saying by a fact of matter that we can not learn everything on our own, there is people with specific knowledge doing it their entire life, some are out there willing to pass down the knowledge if we are committed with our heart and mind to receive it.

What I see today is the popularization of many ancient arts being completely distorted and vulgarized in a way beyond my comprehension. I do not follow the trend line, I may be getting old
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Ankle Biter (1st July 2021), Hym (14th March 2021), Lunesoleil (14th March 2021), Mashika (14th March 2021), onevoice (14th March 2021)

17. Link to Post #49
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Om Mani Padme Hum

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    If anyone here are into mantras, have sure you learned what it is about, before reciting, before using your vital energy, it has power and things happen for real not today but maybe later, old saying beware of what you are asking for, it may become your reality, I do not listen to mantras before study carefully what it is all about and then learn how to properly invoke with guidance if necessary. I am not saying that anyone should have a master or be your own master, I am saying by a fact of matter that we can not learn everything on our own, there is people with specific knowledge doing it their entire life, some are out there willing to pass down the knowledge if we are committed with our heart and mind to receive it.
    Thank you for the feedback, I was a time I loved listening to mantras, it did me a lot of good.
    I am willing to believe that mantras are powerful vibrational energies, which is why mantras can bring great comfort. I can understand that mantras are like magic formulas and that some mantras are more beneficial and others more oriented towards a situation of life detached from the material or the physical, it is besides their function?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Harmony (15th March 2021), Mashika (14th March 2021), palehorse (15th March 2021)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

Quote Posted by Lunesoleil (here)
    Well, not that great, because you're not supposed to laugh at your own jokes, and he was always giggling at the end of every bit of BS he threw at his followers.

thank you for the clarification of information.

And why shouldn't laughter be a quality in this situation?

There are two date of birth :
    January 12, 1917 (astrotheme)
    January 12, 2018 (astrodienst)

Many Satunians practice humor, so laughter as an instrument of diversion and enemies of a perhaps deeply pessimistic nature?
    I have no idea what you're talking about. Did it get lost in translation?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Hym (1st July 2021), Mashika (15th March 2021)

21. Link to Post #51
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,375 times in 1,569 posts

Thank you for the feedback, I was a time I loved listening to mantras, it did me a lot of good.
    I am willing to believe that mantras are powerful vibrational energies, which is why mantras can bring great comfort. I can understand that mantras are like magic formulas and that some mantras are more beneficial and others more oriented towards a situation of life detached from the material or the physical, it is besides their function?

A mantra can be used for many diverse situation including sorcery, animism and necromancy.

Here are two different katas, they are very popular and they both has variations.

Kata Bucha Pra Upakut (Pra Bua Khem - Monk Lotus Head) - In accordance with the Buddhist cosmology he lives in the bottom of the ocean until the end of human suffering. This Kata is the traditional, there is variations of it for different purposes, it is Burmese.

Another Kata used by ancient Thai warriors (Kata Pongan Pai) - recited before going into a physical fight.

Note that the number of katas or mantras (including all variations) available is so insanely huge that one could write several books of the size of the bible, imagine each verse of the Tripitaka could possibly become a mantra if it has enough meaning on it for what is desired to achieve, that's why mantras can also be created by anyone with deep understandings not only in Buddhism but also in ancient traditions that date before Buddhist era.

I prefer to listen to mantras in their natural form, or even better recite it, feeling the vibration that goes through the vocal cords to the navel and spread to the whole body, the correct intonation of ones voice is a major role in order to the mantra work or fail, when any other background sound is mixed the chances it will fail is great, monks when reciting mantras or even chanting they are in a very quiet environment, that's why it is not allowed to talk inside temples, it can and will disturb the work.

Be in a quiet place and avoid those mantras with music in the background, those mantras are only variations of the traditional ones, I know only voice can be boring, but once you understand the meaning of each word, it becomes quite a different thing. Mantras are a very fragile thing.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Harmony (15th March 2021), Mashika (15th March 2021)

23. Link to Post #52
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

A mantra can be used for many diverse situation including sorcery, animism and necromancy.

Here are two different katas, they are very popular and they both has variations.

Kata Bucha Pra Upakut (Pra Bua Khem - Monk Lotus Head) - In accordance with the Buddhist cosmology he lives in the bottom of the ocean until the end of human suffering. This Kata is the traditional, there is variations of it for different purposes, it is Burmese.

Another Kata used by ancient Thai warriors (Kata Pongan Pai) - recited before going into a physical fight.

Note that the number of katas or mantras (including all variations) available is so insanely huge that one could write several books of the size of the bible, imagine each verse of the Tripitaka could possibly become a mantra if it has enough meaning on it for what is desired to achieve, that's why mantras can also be created by anyone with deep understandings not only in Buddhism but also in ancient traditions that date before Buddhist era.

I prefer to listen to mantras in their natural form, or even better recite it, feeling the vibration that goes through the vocal cords to the navel and spread to the whole body, the correct intonation of ones voice is a major role in order to the mantra work or fail, when any other background sound is mixed the chances it will fail is great, monks when reciting mantras or even chanting they are in a very quiet environment, that's why it is not allowed to talk inside temples, it can and will disturb the work.

Be in a quiet place and avoid those mantras with music in the background, those mantras are only variations of the traditional ones, I know only voice can be boring, but once you understand the meaning of each word, it becomes quite a different thing. Mantras are a very fragile thing.
    I always found that listening to them was of not much use, specially the ones with music (with just a few cases working for me)

Instead, I play them in my head then hum them until I can feel the vibrations and I get very cool experiences out of them at that point
    Tired

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Harmony (15th March 2021), Hym (1st July 2021), palehorse (15th March 2021), wondering (1st July 2021)

25. Link to Post #53
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

This one I learned in China around 10 years ago. With it I am able to sometimes weather low points, begin the arduous climb up the mountain and draw from it again at the summit to express gratitude for small victories, (more than once since I am yet to learn how to remain at the summit, but I guess that's part of this human experience). The chant is "Na Mo E Mi Tuo fo" I can't find one that doesn't come with music but in the second embedded video is maybe a better description of employing the chant which may be vocalized to varying degrees.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Hym (1st July 2021), Mashika (30th June 2021), onevoice (1st July 2021), Wind (30th June 2021), wondering (1st July 2021)

27. Link to Post #54
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ankle Biter (here)
    (more than once since I am yet to learn how to remain at the summit, but I guess that's part of this human experience).
    My Zen teacher once told me that you should not remain away from your current human reality, it makes you lose touch and you become something else you may like, but it breaks you over time and you fail at living, you get disconnected

So i think it's meant to give us a higher experience and view, but we must return and use that experience to improve our current humanity. It will eventually take you there, but must not jump into it and stay permanently before time
    Last edited by Mashika; 30th June 2021 at 23:31.
    Tired

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ankle Biter (1st July 2021), Hym (1st July 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (1st July 2021), Sue (Ayt) (1st July 2021), TomKat (1st July 2021), Wind (1st July 2021)

29. Link to Post #55
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

(more than once since I am yet to learn how to remain at the summit, but I guess that's part of this human experience).
    My Zen teacher once told me that you should not remain away from your current human reality, it makes you lose touch and you become something else you may like, but it breaks you over time and you fail at living, you get disconnected

So i think it's meant to give us a higher experience and view, but we must return and use that experience to improve our current humanity. It will eventually take you there, but must not jump into it and stay permanently before time
    Agreed. Also in learning to improve our own current humanity we're in a better position to be helpful for others when called on. I do like being grounded, it's balanced, but even ground level is like a summit from the low points where Na Mo E Mi Tuo fo has helped to rise up.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Hym (1st July 2021), Mashika (1st July 2021), Wind (1st July 2021)

31. Link to Post #56
    United States Avalon Member onevoice's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,956 times in 538 posts

Post Re: Om Mani Padme Hum

This one I learned in China around 10 years ago. With it I am able to sometimes weather low points, begin the arduous climb up the mountain and draw from it again at the summit to express gratitude for small victories, (more than once since I am yet to learn how to remain at the summit, but I guess that's part of this human experience). The chant is "Na Mo E Mi Tuo fo" I can't find one that doesn't come with music but in the second embedded video is maybe a better description of employing the chant which may be vocalized to varying degrees.

This Chinese Zen Master you referenced is my master (despite his passing away on February 3, 2009). He is world renowned, and recognized as a true Chinese Zen master as well as Chinese Buddhism scholar. I have attended many long-term intensive Zen retreats where he has personally guided and taught Chinese Zen methods of meditation. I am forever in his debt for transforming my life. It was a great privilege and honor to have sat only a few chairs away from him during meal times at several long term retreats held in the Chan Meditation Center in Queens New York before he became world renowned. And at evening Buddhism Dharma talks we were allowed to gather only a few feet from him.

When he gave his evening Dharma talks, every word had such great piercing wisdom and such great power that shook my entire being. The entire Zen retreat experience is really very difficult to describe.

The Pureland Buddhism (which is part of the Mahayana branch of Buddhism) uses this "Na Mo A Mi Tuo Fo" phrase as the main focus of their practice, along with meditation. This phrase means homage to the Amitābha Buddha. Among most of modern Chinese Buddhists, it is customary to say "A Mi Tuo Fo" as a form of greeting, which is a transliteration from Chinese which mean Amitābha Buddha (first 3 syllables means Amitābha and the last syllable means Buddha.
    Last edited by onevoice; 1st July 2021 at 03:34.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onevoice For This Post:

Ankle Biter (1st July 2021), Hym (1st July 2021), Mashika (1st July 2021), Wind (1st July 2021)

33. Link to Post #57
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote The entire Zen retreat experience is really very difficult to describe
    Should not try, some people understand it by what others say, but it's meant to be unique, so must be experienced personally, not by written words, those just lead the other readers into assuming how it will be once they experience it. Compromising the moment

I stopped learning Buddhism lots of years ago, and only focused on Zen, since it requires a lot of inner thought but no organizational structure, like a religion does (i can't handle authority or being given orders or having to follow after someone). So it was a good fit for me

I can only look and wonder at people who manage to follow through with the complicated aspects of Buddhism, at the long term. But personally i could not follow through, i'm not capable of so much dedication to a practice, and Zen, as it happens, it's natural for me, no required enforcement, no hard, well determined rules, it's mostly freedom of just being. Don't know if this makes sense but you know "Zen is about not" thing

Quote Posted by onevoice (here)

This Chinese Zen Master you referenced is my master (despite his passing away on February 3, 2009). He is world renowned, and recognized as a true Chinese Zen master as well as Chinese Buddhism scholar. I have attended many long-term intensive Zen retreats where he has personally guided and taught Chinese Zen methods of meditation. I am forever in his debt for transforming my life. It was a great privilege and honor to have sat only a few chairs away from him during meal times at several long term retreats held in the Chan Meditation Center in Queens New York before he became world renowned. And at evening Buddhism Dharma talks we were allowed to gather only a few feet from him.

When he gave his evening Dharma talks, every word had such great piercing wisdom and such great power that shook my entire being. The entire Zen retreat experience is really very difficult to describe.
    Tired

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ankle Biter (3rd July 2021), Hym (1st July 2021), Sue (Ayt) (1st July 2021), Wind (1st July 2021)

35. Link to Post #58
    United States Avalon Member onevoice's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,956 times in 538 posts

Should not try, some people understand it by what others say, but it's meant to be unique, so must be experienced personally, not by written words, those just lead the other readers into assuming how it will be once they experience it. Compromising the moment

I stopped learning Buddhism lots of years ago, and only focused on Zen, since it requires a lot of inner thought but no organizational structure, like a religion does (i can't handle authority or being given orders or having to follow after someone). So it was a good fit for me

I can only look and wonder at people who manage to follow through with the complicated aspects of Buddhism, at the long term. But personally i could not follow through, i'm not capable of so much dedication to a practice, and Zen, as it happens, it's natural for me, no required enforcement, no hard, well determined rules, it's mostly freedom of just being. Don't know if this makes sense but you know "Zen is about not" thing

Yes, I absolutely agree with you 100%. Zen encompasses the entire Buddhism and yet is the very essence of Buddhism. Buddhism has many aspects, such as the Dharma (which is essentially what the historical Buddha born in India taught) and the meditation practice which puts the Dharma into action. Although I agree Zen is quintessence of Buddhism, the Dharma is also necessary to establish philosophical and moral foundation for Zen. Without proper philosophical and moral foundation, it would be difficult to practice meditation the way the historical Buddha intended. For a long time after the historical Buddha attained his Supreme Enlightenment, he didn't really want to teach what he realized. But after much insistence from his original group of disciples, the historical Buddha did start to teach his Dharma.

Most of us in Buddhism recognizes that the Dharma is like a finger pointing to the moon, while the meditation is like the moon, the ultimate goal. The moon is the real thing, and the Dharma is only pointing or hinting at the real thing. I like how you said Zen is "not thing" because absolutely Zen is negation of this reality. Zen is also a transcendence of this reality and not just negation of this reality. This reality is an illusion and when we experience that this reality is an illusion created by our mind, we are enlightened.

Master Shen Yen once stated in a book that he saw his face reflected in a puddle of water, and he realized that his reflection is just as real as his physical face -- meaning that his physical body is an illusion just as much as the reflection of his face is an illusion. They are both projections of the mind. Ultimately Zen is indescribable, however until we are truly enlightened, we need Dharma and other forms of teaching to help us get enlightened. Please don't get me wrong, enlightenment is not a goal or a destination; it is a process or a journey. Also let's agree that words are very limited and can be easily misunderstood but at the same time can be useful tool to communicate and facilitate toward enlightenment.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onevoice For This Post:

Ankle Biter (3rd July 2021), Mashika (1st July 2021), Wind (1st July 2021)

37. Link to Post #59
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote I like how you said Zen is "not thing" because absolutely Zen is negation of this reality. Zen is also a transcendence of this reality and not just negation of this reality. This reality is an illusion and when we experience that this reality is an illusion created by our mind, we are enlightened.
    Thanks, yes! thank you for understanding that very specific "not thing" comment <3

First time someone has replied to me with real Zen understanding!

I'm very happy today

Yes, I absolutely agree with you 100%. Zen encompasses the entire Buddhism and yet is the very essence of Buddhism. Buddhism has many aspects, such as the Dharma (which is essentially what the historical Buddha born in India taught) and the meditation practice which puts the Dharma into action. Although I agree Zen is quintessence of Buddhism, the Dharma is also necessary to establish philosophical and moral foundation for Zen. Without proper philosophical and moral foundation, it would be difficult to practice meditation the way the historical Buddha intended. For a long time after the historical Buddha attained his Supreme Enlightenment, he didn't really want to teach what he realized. But after much insistence from his original group of disciples, the historical Buddha did start to teach his Dharma.

Most of us in Buddhism recognizes that the Dharma is like a finger pointing to the moon, while the meditation is like the moon, the ultimate goal. The moon is the real thing, and the Dharma is only pointing or hinting at the real thing. I like how you said Zen is "not thing" because absolutely Zen is negation of this reality. Zen is also a transcendence of this reality and not just negation of this reality. This reality is an illusion and when we experience that this reality is an illusion created by our mind, we are enlightened.

Master Shen Yen once stated in a book that he saw his face reflected in a puddle of water, and he realized that his reflection is just as real as his physical face -- meaning that his physical body is an illusion just as much as the reflection of his face is an illusion. They are both projections of the mind. Ultimately Zen is indescribable, however until we are truly enlightened, we need Dharma and other forms of teaching to help us get enlightened. Please don't get me wrong, enlightenment is not a goal or a destination; it is a process or a journey. Also let's agree that words are very limited and can be easily misunderstood but at the same time can be useful tool to communicate and facilitate toward enlightenment.
    Tired

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ankle Biter (3rd July 2021), onevoice (1st July 2021), Wind (1st July 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3