Thread: Free Range Chicken and Kids

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Default Free Range Chicken and Kids

I meant to post this some time ago but it slipped away until today that i found a recommendation from youtube...

So, I meant to say about this

On some countries, it is normal for kids to go outside and to the convenience store, or to play, or just to sit on their doorstep on their own, without adult supervition

But, it does seem like in the west, this is not possible at all, and it can result in the cops showing up and all sorts of legal issues, with possibly kids being taken away...

But, why?

When i was a kid, i would travel like 2 kilometers every day just to buy magazines or other stuff i wanted, and then return home on my bike along with other friends and nothing would be wrong, and that was like 14+ years ago..

But from all i've seen in the past 5 years, including a video where a mom had to leave her kid playing on a park while she was working and the cops took the kid away, this is not possible at all anymore on the western countries?

Quote Mom accused of leaving child in park
    https://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/21/l...nts/index.html

It seems like a big issue, not sure what to think about it really. In the last link the kid was 9 years old, why is this so different than being 9 years old in Japan, Russia, China or South Korea for example?

"Free range kids" is a concept on the US for example, to me it equals "normal life", and it's a problem because someone may disagreee and call the cops on you because your chickens are running around freely, without a cage to hold them in

In Japan, "chickens" go to school on their own starting on first grade, and they are supposed to take the train to get there, switch stations sometimes, and know their way back, all on their own. They are also expected to go buy some food at close shops, all of these things at 6 years old.

In the US or other countries, why does it seem to be the norm that a "chiken" can't be self suficient at 11/12 years old?

As a person note, when i went to live on the US at first, my sis was still small, and i was told in a very direct and specific way "never lose sight of her, she may go missing any time if you don't care for her" and it caused me terrible mental and emotional issues, down to hovering over her all day, constantly calling her when she was on another room and i had not heard from her in 20/30 minutes or so, and jumping out of my room in panic when she did not reply and almost running only to find her sleeping in the living room couch...

Or going to the movies or other places and suddenly not seeing her around, and having that terrible feeling she may have been "taken away" and oh well

That's ridiculous i think, it caused mental issues for some time, and i found it terrible repressing and irreversible in many ways, as in she lost a lot of experience in life by being caged next to me because she was not allowed to be on her own ever

Chiken or the egg? What started first?

Why is this not a thing on Russia, or Japan, or China mostly? or other countries in that area? Even here on Mexico, kids go buy stuff all days without any problem, as long as they ask their parents if they can go, sometimes the parents watch from the window and sometimes they don't, but this is like when kids are around 8 years old, and at around 10/11 you can see them all over the place on their own, no issues. They already know how to take care of themselves at that age

To me, the tone of the people talking on those videos, as if "look at this wonder!" is hilarious.. "Look at him walk! as if he was already a normal human being! And ladies and Gentlement, he has just swapped that train commuter card on his own!"

What do you think about this?
    Last edited by Mashika; 16th March 2021 at 03:43.
    Tired

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th March 2021), Constance (16th March 2021), De Christu (23rd March 2021), DeDukshyn (16th March 2021), Ewan (27th December 2022), gord (16th March 2021), Harmony (11th August 2022), Ioneo (16th March 2021), Johnnycomelately (12th July 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (15th August 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th March 2021), Matthew (26th December 2022), melissanederland (11th August 2022), Michi (4th June 2021), Mike (16th March 2021), Olaf (16th March 2021), pyrangello (17th August 2022), Reinhard (26th December 2022), s7e6e (26th December 2022), Spiral (17th August 2022), Sue (Ayt) (16th March 2021), Tigger (26th December 2022), Tintin (12th July 2022), toppy (16th March 2021), ulli (17th March 2021), Wind (16th March 2021), XelNaga (11th August 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,304 times in 5,692 posts

Default Re: Free Range Chicken and Kids

Japan's 10 year old kids are more capable than the young adults here in the U.S.

Kids here, from the time they're young to their late teens/early 20's, are taught nothing but grievances. They're taught to avoid any type of controversy. And not only that but are groomed to feel that controversy - even the good kind that causes us to grow and evolve - is a form of oppression and should be regarded as unsafe. All that has given birth to the "safe space" culture. Safe spaces are actually quite dangerous in that they mollycoddle and make kids weak, ultimately. And the weaker they get the more they retreat from the real world, to the point where taking a bike ride to a convenient store is regarded as a revolutionary act.

Kids and young adults here in the U.S. actually feel entitled to mental and physical spaces free from any kind of challenge or discomfort at all. It's not entirely their fault; they're taught that from a young age.

They're taught that the world is an evil place and they're likely at the bottom of the victim pile, and things like seeking adventure and working towards goals are forfeited in favor of a neurotic obsession with finding flaws in everyone and everything they come into contact with. And they're actually actively taught how to not become adults.

So there's the accumulated fear of people and things combined with a reluctance to engage the world lest they be made uncomfortable in some way, along with an inordinate amount of time spent indoors on tablets and devices and so forth...and what you get finally are a bunch of overgrown infants who can no longer interface with reality in a healthy and coherent way, with a tendency to blame that ineptitude on some abstract "oppression" or whatever hipster disorder is flavor of the month, like adhd or something.

As I said in a thread of mine recently, Americans are a silly people now. It's official. We aren't losing to Japan and China and the Soviet Union, we've already lost. We have generations of frightened, incapable kids and young adults now; and it's going to take generations of properly educated kids to undo all the damage...if we're lucky and there's still something left to repair at that point.
    Last edited by Mike; 16th March 2021 at 15:21.

4. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th March 2021), bluestflame (17th August 2022), Constance (16th March 2021), De Christu (23rd March 2021), DeDukshyn (16th March 2021), DSKlausler (17th March 2021), Ewan (27th December 2022), gord (16th March 2021), Harmony (11th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (12th July 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th March 2021), Mashika (16th March 2021), Matthew (26th December 2022), Peace in Oz (5th January 2022), pyrangello (17th August 2022), Spiral (17th August 2022), Sue (Ayt) (16th March 2021), Tigger (26th December 2022), ulli (17th March 2021), wondering (16th March 2021), XelNaga (11th August 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

When I was a kid, I certainly had a lot of freedom. From ages 6-9, I had to walk a mile to the bus stop and a mile home, every day. We lived in a trailer at the time, at the end of a small hay field backed to forested crown land. It was a bit out in the boonies, hence the mile walk. The only times I ever got a ride was in winter after a snowfall when the road wasn't cleared yet, so I'd get a ride on the snowmobile to the bus stop, lol.

I had encounters with bears and moose on the way or home from the bus stop. Snakes and frogs would get run over by the sparse traffic laying on the gravel road sunning themselves to get warm, and the bears would come down to snack on them. I recall once trying to see how close I could get to a bear. I got pretty close, before I made him uncomfortable with my overconfident stride towards him, before he lumbered off. I had no fear of nature back then - I was a part of it for certain.

I used to tell my mom "I'm going exploring in the forest", and she'd respond with "Ok but supper will be ready in a couple hours - be back before then"

Even as I got a bit older, I remember taking a train to Vancouver all by myself, and I had my friends mom pick me up at the station there and stayed with them for a few days. My parents drove up after and I was able to get a ride back with them. I was probably about 13-14.

Imagining what it would have been like without that freedom, feels like a severe handicap. I would not have traded those experiences for the world.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 16th March 2021 at 23:34.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

6. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2022), Blacklight43 (17th March 2021), De Christu (23rd March 2021), DNA (26th December 2022), Ewan (27th December 2022), gord (17th March 2021), Harmony (11th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (12th July 2022), Mashika (17th March 2021), Matthew (26th December 2022), Mike (16th March 2021), Peace in Oz (5th January 2022), pyrangello (17th August 2022), Spiral (17th August 2022), Sue (Ayt) (17th March 2021), Tigger (26th December 2022), ulli (17th March 2021), Wind (17th March 2021), wondering (16th March 2021), XelNaga (11th August 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Hi Mashika. Your thread here is my choice to drop this interview of a US woman military pilot, who surely must have been a free range kid. I am 40 minutes in, of the hour and 40, and am impressed and heartened by her story.

Am open to learning where this might be better put, didn’t see any better option. Cheers.

Last edited by Johnnycomelately; 1st August 2022 at 23:42.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th July 2022), Ewan (27th December 2022), Harmony (11th August 2022), Mashika (16th July 2022), pyrangello (17th August 2022), Tigger (26th December 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Bumping Masha’s great little thread here, because I couldn’t find a place to put something about building morale.

Dukeing it out, for fun, seems like a pretty free range attitude. And apparently it is still going on.

Maybe there is hope to be had for our collective future. No slash ess.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th August 2022), Harmony (11th August 2022), Mashika (17th August 2022), pyrangello (17th August 2022), Tigger (26th December 2022)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 times in 428 posts

People in the west are conditioned to fear in many ways, so they fear excessively for their children. Maybe to some degree it can help prevent some terrible mishap? In my childhood it was not like that (90's), but then there was not so much focus on negative news about child abductions, organ theft, pedophilia, etc. I remember as a child of barely ten years old returning home from my friends house - it was dark outside and next to my building an older man undressed and showed me his tool... so I just ran home and there was no panic about it, never told my parents. Japan is the other extreme, forcing a child to behave as an adult is not normal and this is also the reason why Japan has one of the highest suicide rates among young people who are bullied in schools and at home with excess studying (from morning to night) and then later at work they have the same crazy tempo.
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

avid (11th August 2022), Bill Ryan (11th August 2022), Ewan (27th December 2022), Harmony (11th August 2022), Johnnycomelately (11th August 2022), Mashika (17th August 2022), Spiral (17th August 2022), Tigger (26th December 2022), Wind (11th August 2022), XelNaga (11th August 2022)

13. Link to Post #7
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by Isserley (here)
    People in the west are conditioned to fear in many ways, so they fear excessively for their children. Maybe to some degree it can help prevent some terrible mishap? In my childhood it was not like that (90's), but then there was not so much focus on negative news about child abductions, organ theft, pedophilia, etc. I remember as a child of barely ten years old returning home from my friends house - it was dark outside and next to my building an older man undressed and showed me his tool... so I just ran home and there was no panic about it, never told my parents.
    This is very relatable, i remember crazy odd people like that too, and i bet a lot of the members here do too, it was like that, you just keep going and say nothing

Japan is the other extreme, forcing a child to behave as an adult is not normal and this is also the reason why Japan has one of the highest suicide rates among young people who are bullied in schools and at home with excess studying (from morning to night) and then later at work they have the same crazy tempo.
    This is very true, it turns the things you like the most into hell, and a very toxic thing to live though. All the pressure and it's never enough no matter what, if you make it 100% perfect, then it's a temporary thing, next time it has to be that you are pushed to make it 120% and so on

I think it's very stupid and ignorant way of acting, it''s a very toxic culture for sure at least, and for nothing in the end
    Tired

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th August 2022), Ewan (27th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (26th December 2022), Spiral (17th August 2022), Tigger (26th December 2022)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

This is a great thread, there certainly has been a colossal societal shift & no one seems to either have noticed or care.

The first thing I remember being bought was a watch so I knew when to be home for meals, I can't have been more than 5 or 6, I also had to learn our phone number off by heart, it's still the only phone number I can remember lol.

The next thing I got was a bicycle, and the distances from home increased accordingly. Its not that it was safe out there, we had Ian Brady & Mira Hindley murdering small boys & burying them up near the reservoir where we went as a family for picnics in summer.

My local park was a huge draw, it was vast for a small boy & had two lakes, a bunch of us often went fishing there. We also spent a lot of time down the tunnels that ran under it too.

That park was the home of one Jimmy Savile, Britains most famous peedo, the Ripper also attacked two women there, one survived, one didn't.

Maybe my parents wanted rid of me ?

They'd often dump me at the swimming pool for hours & hours, my hands would go like prunes, but I could swim very well, and dive. The Pool was called 'the Olympic pool" but they had botched the construction by building in yards rather than metres so it was too small for anything official.

Then we moved to a village & the things we got up to got wilder, esp when we all got air rifles. That's probably far enough down memory lane.

Now I live in a very large village, it's extremely safe, it doesn't even have a major road running through it (very unusual), you'd think only pensioners lived here it's that quiet. The only kids you see out are very small ones with their parents walking the dog & occasionally a teenager going somewhere.

Yet come school time there are hundreds of them. There is a recreation centre & a playground but there's never anyone there unless it's something "organised" ie run by adults.

This state of affairs can't be down to video games & social media alone, the climate of fear is something that hasn't organically grown, it's been fostered for quite some time.

It's not just little children, it's been going on so long it's also their parents, easy proof of which is go to any café where motorcycles gather, go and look at the riders, you'll be lucky to see one, man or woman, under fifty years of age.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

9ideon (17th August 2022), Bill Ryan (17th August 2022), DNA (26th December 2022), Ewan (27th December 2022), Mashika (17th August 2022), Tigger (26th December 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Spiral (here)
    This is a great thread, there certainly has been a colossal societal shift & no one seems to either have noticed or care.

This state of affairs can't be down to video games & social media alone, the climate of fear is something that hasn't organically grown, it's been fostered for quite some time.

It's not just little children, it's been going on so long it's also their parents...

We have to take responsibility for our part. We allowed this to happen.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th December 2022), Ewan (27th December 2022), Mashika (27th December 2022), Spiral (26th December 2022), Tigger (26th December 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,729 times in 4,313 posts

Some things are so terrible humans refuse to deal with the reality.
    Pedophiles are a real thing regardless of culture or time period.
    This alone in it's implications is terrifying, add to that human trafficking to satiate adrenochrome, organ harvesting and satanic ritual needs and the argument is there for not being so free spirited in terms of knowing where your child is at all times and remaining vigilante in so far as safety is concerned.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th December 2022), Ewan (27th December 2022), Mashika (27th December 2022), Spiral (26th December 2022)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,613 times in 344 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Japan's 10 year old kids are more capable than the young adults here in the U.S.

Kids here, from the time they're young to their late teens/early 20's, are taught nothing but grievances. They're taught to avoid any type of controversy. And not only that but are groomed to feel that controversy - even the good kind that causes us to grow and evolve - is a form of oppression and should be regarded as unsafe. All that has given birth to the "safe space" culture. Safe spaces are actually quite dangerous in that they mollycoddle and make kids weak, ultimately. And the weaker they get the more they retreat from the real world, to the point where taking a bike ride to a convenient store is regarded as a revolutionary act.

Kids and young adults here in the U.S. actually feel entitled to mental and physical spaces free from any kind of challenge or discomfort at all. It's not entirely their fault; they're taught that from a young age.

They're taught that the world is an evil place and they're likely at the bottom of the victim pile, and things like seeking adventure and working towards goals are forfeited in favor of a neurotic obsession with finding flaws in everyone and everything they come into contact with. And they're actually actively taught how to not become adults.

So there's the accumulated fear of people and things combined with a reluctance to engage the world lest they be made uncomfortable in some way, along with an inordinate amount of time spent indoors on tablets and devices and so forth...and what you get finally are a bunch of overgrown infants who can no longer interface with reality in a healthy and coherent way, with a tendency to blame that ineptitude on some abstract "oppression" or whatever hipster disorder is flavor of the month, like adhd or something.

As I said in a thread of mine recently, Americans are a silly people now. It's official. We aren't losing to Japan and China and the Soviet Union, we've already lost. We have generations of frightened, incapable kids and young adults now; and it's going to take generations of properly educated kids to undo all the damage...if we're lucky and there's still something left to repair at that point.
    Excellent. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Johnnycomelately (here)

We have to take responsibility for our part.
    Yes. Except we’re not. And that, methinks is a huge part of the problem.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th December 2022), Ewan (27th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (27th December 2022), Mashika (27th December 2022)

+ Reply to Thread