+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sleeping on the ground has cured me of all muscle tension, inflammation, stiffness, etc.

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Sleeping on the ground has cured me of all muscle tension, inflammation, stiffness, etc.

It started because I watched the movie Spirited Away and I just thought the characters looked so damn comfortable on their Japanese sleeping setups. Ridiculous, I know. But I wanted to switch things up, and I liked the idea of a more minimal sleeping setup. (I always found it ridiculous that a human being should need an expensive synthetic mattress to sleep well - if that's a necessity, how did humans sleep well when they were in caves and in trees, and using rocks as pillows and leaves for comfort?)

At the time, I couldn't afford the full Japanese sleeping setup, so I just bought a tatami mat from JLife International. It ended up taking about 10 days to get to me, so I ended up sleeping on the ground (CARPET, NOT HARDWOOD) in the meantime.

The first few days were strange. I washed up to go to bed, went back to my bedroom... and laid on the ground. However, I fell asleep and slept just fine for all of those days. It was slightly more difficult to fall asleep, because at the time, I couldn't lay on my side without feeling uncomfortable, so I had to lay on my back. But aside from that, no issues.

Fast forward about a week. I wake up one day and realize that my body just feels... right? It's hard to describe. No stiffness, no tension, and certainly no inflammation. I always suffered from inflammation, even with a healthy diet. Suddenly, it was just gone. My body felt fantastic upon waking. My body always feels really good nowadays. My posture is also amazing. My spine is as straight as an arrow.

These days, I alternate between sleeping on the tatami mat and sleeping on the carpet. I'll likely get the full setup at some point in the future, but for now, I'm enjoying sleeping on the ground quite a bit. If you wake up feeling worse than you did when you went to bed, give it a try.

FAQ

Do you use a pillow? Yes. A buckwheat one that I bought from JLife International.

Do you sleep on your side? Now I can. I had to condition my body to do so in the first week or two. I see this is as a developed weakness from always sleeping on a mattress, not a hardship you have to endure if you want to sleep on the ground. (I am quite lean and my bones "stick out" quite a bit so this may have been exacerbated for me in particular.)

Do you miss the comfort of a mattress? Sometimes, yes. Like I said, I'll likely get the full setup at some point in the future. But I don't lay down for bed thinking "I'm uncomfortable". In fact, I feel quite cozy under the covers. It seriously took me only a few days to adjust, and my sleep quality did not suffer while adjusting, once I was able to fall asleep.

2. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to waxamillionpehhgasus For This Post:

Alan (31st March 2021), Anka (31st March 2021), Ba-ba-Ra (31st March 2021), Brigantia (31st March 2021), Chris Gilbert (31st March 2021), Constance (31st March 2021), cursichella1 (1st April 2021), ExomatrixTV (31st March 2021), Harmony (31st March 2021), Hitchy (31st March 2021), Iancorgi (31st March 2021), Jambo (31st March 2021), Journeyman (31st March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (31st March 2021), Karezza (6th April 2021), Kryztian (31st March 2021), leavesoftrees (31st March 2021), Libico (31st March 2021), Mark (31st March 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021), Mecklenburger (31st March 2021), Mike (30th March 2021), Nasu (31st March 2021), Open Minded Dude (31st March 2021), Peace in Oz (31st March 2021), Richard S. (31st March 2021), selinam (31st March 2021), Sunny (31st March 2021), toppy (31st March 2021), TravelerJim (31st March 2021), Tyy1907 (31st March 2021), wondering (30th March 2021), ZenBaller (31st March 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Brazil Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 times in 173 posts

Default Re: Sleeping on the ground has cured me of all muscle tension, inflammation, stiffness, etc.

From childhood up to 26 years old I slept on a really old mattress made of foam and on the middle there was wood. It was the best mattress I have ever had. Today I am on a mothern mattress with spirngs and I totally dislike it. Wood covered with foam on a certain density is all we need. Our Mattress cannot be soft in my humble opinion.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to prc For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (31st March 2021), Brigantia (31st March 2021), Harmony (31st March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (31st March 2021), Kryztian (31st March 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021), Mecklenburger (31st March 2021), Peace in Oz (31st March 2021), toppy (31st March 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    New Zealand Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Sleeping on the ground has cured me of all muscle tension, inflammation, stiffness, etc.

Fascinating, thanks for sharin

just to be sure, this is from sleeping on the carpet rather than the tatami mat?

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hitchy For This Post:

Anka (31st March 2021), Ba-ba-Ra (31st March 2021), Brigantia (31st March 2021), Harmony (31st March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (31st March 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021), Mecklenburger (31st March 2021), toppy (31st March 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Great Britain Avalon Member Jambo's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 times in 158 posts

There's definitely something about being on the ground that helps.
    Whenever I've had a bad back (lower lumbar), lying on the carpeted ground has felt far better than being on a mattress. Even my mother when she suffered from a slipped disc found she would only find relief from the pain whilst lying down on the firm ground.
    I must admit the first thing that popped in my head when reading the OP post was an old documentary that I watched called 'Grounded', about the healing affects of being closer (more grounded/earthed) with the world we live in.
    Worth a watch.

Was looking for a Youtube trailer for the documentary, but found the whole thing on there.
    Here's the link:

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jambo For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (31st March 2021), Brigantia (31st March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (31st March 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021), Mecklenburger (31st March 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,975 times in 1,342 posts

Out of curiosity, was that on the ground floor or an upper floor?

I have the book 'Earthing' by Ober, Sinatra and Zucker looking into the theory that degenerative illnesses can be helped by spending time barefoot on the ground. It speculates that it might be tapping into the earth's energies that has a significant healing power. If you were sleeping on the ground floor, maybe you're tapping into the earth's energies?

If you were on an upper floor, maybe it's something in mattresses that is not conducive to good health, or maybe we should simply be sleeping on a firm surface. I would imagine that the majority of the world's population sleeps on the floor, and degenerative illnesses are a scourge of the developed world.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (31st March 2021), Jambo (31st March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (31st March 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021), Mecklenburger (31st March 2021), Tintin (31st March 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

Quote Posted by waxamillionpehhgasus (here)
    It started because I watched the movie Spirited Away and I just thought the characters looked so damn comfortable on their Japanese sleeping setups. Ridiculous, I know. But I wanted to switch things up, and I liked the idea of a more minimal sleeping setup. (I always found it ridiculous that a human being should need an expensive synthetic mattress to sleep well - if that's a necessity, how did humans sleep well when they were in caves and in trees, and using rocks as pillows and leaves for comfort?)

At the time, I couldn't afford the full Japanese sleeping setup, so I just bought a tatami mat from JLife International. It ended up taking about 10 days to get to me, so I ended up sleeping on the ground (CARPET, NOT HARDWOOD) in the meantime.

The first few days were strange. I washed up to go to bed, went back to my bedroom... and laid on the ground. However, I fell asleep and slept just fine for all of those days. It was slightly more difficult to fall asleep, because at the time, I couldn't lay on my side without feeling uncomfortable, so I had to lay on my back. But aside from that, no issues.

Fast forward about a week. I wake up one day and realize that my body just feels... right? It's hard to describe. No stiffness, no tension, and certainly no inflammation. I always suffered from inflammation, even with a healthy diet. Suddenly, it was just gone. My body felt fantastic upon waking. My body always feels really good nowadays. My posture is also amazing. My spine is as straight as an arrow.

These days, I alternate between sleeping on the tatami mat and sleeping on the carpet. I'll likely get the full setup at some point in the future, but for now, I'm enjoying sleeping on the ground quite a bit. If you wake up feeling worse than you did when you went to bed, give it a try.

FAQ

Do you use a pillow? Yes. A buckwheat one that I bought from JLife International.

Do you sleep on your side? Now I can. I had to condition my body to do so in the first week or two. I see this is as a developed weakness from always sleeping on a mattress, not a hardship you have to endure if you want to sleep on the ground. (I am quite lean and my bones "stick out" quite a bit so this may have been exacerbated for me in particular.)

Do you miss the comfort of a mattress? Sometimes, yes. Like I said, I'll likely get the full setup at some point in the future. But I don't lay down for bed thinking "I'm uncomfortable". In fact, I feel quite cozy under the covers. It seriously took me only a few days to adjust, and my sleep quality did not suffer while adjusting, once I was able to fall asleep.

Until the invaders started coming across my land I slept on the ground outside all the time. I like to listen to the night sounds. No mattress, just a quilt and my dogs and I! Oh and a pillow. I love it and it makes me feel good.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Brigantia (31st March 2021), Jambo (1st April 2021), leavesoftrees (1st April 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021), Mecklenburger (31st March 2021), Tintin (31st March 2021), TomKat (6th April 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Moderator Chris Gilbert's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,997 times in 595 posts

One of the main things that helps my massage clients who consistently wake up with pain every morning is changing their mattress (usually to a firmer one). Whenever I've slept on the ground when camping I also felt great after. Our bodies are not suited to modern mattresses or chairs.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris Gilbert For This Post:

Brigantia (1st April 2021), Constance (31st March 2021), Jambo (1st April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (31st March 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021), Mecklenburger (31st March 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

As a kid i grew up sleeping on a futon, then around when i was 11 or so, i moved and started sleeping on a normal bed. Around 2/3 weeks after that i could not sleep anymore, and i felt pain and constantly was very tired, i could not take it anymore and i took a few bedsheets and placed them on the floor, like 2 or 3 days later i was perfectly fine again

Beds are really terrible for the back, i felt like i could not walk straight for a few days, it was so troublesome. I have never gone back to using normal beds since then
    Tired

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Brigantia (1st April 2021), Jambo (1st April 2021), Mecklenburger (31st March 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

i have grounded myself in my loft with a grounding sheet. health great even with 5 g. im still kickin ass

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Brigantia (1st April 2021), Constance (1st April 2021), Jambo (1st April 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 times in 274 posts

Goodness. Just one more thread which reminds me as to why I visit Project Avalon and how helpful all you folks really are....

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TravelerJim For This Post:

Brigantia (1st April 2021), Hitchy (5th April 2021), Jambo (1st April 2021), Mashika (31st March 2021)

+ Reply to Thread