Thread: Solutions for preppers

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Guide: Here to help

Thanks
    Thanked 17,333 times in 2,075 posts

Default Solutions for preppers

Solutions for Preppers
    Updated 04-16-2021

Food - Repackaging and Vacuum Packing At Home with and without electricity.
    Food - Camp Stoves. Some are multi-fuel capable.
    Food - Camp Stove Fuels: wood twigs, propane, butane, fuel tablets, charcoal and alcohol
    Clothes Washing without electricity
    Communication, Amateur Radio, FRS, GMRS. Have a plan with family (and a backup plan) of where to meet in case of separation.
    Dehydrating Food With Tammy, a wealth of how-to information.
    Electricity – Generators – Propane does not go bad. Gasoline does go bad and can be a problem.
    Electricity - Portable Power Stations rechargeable from commercial power, solar and automobile.
    Electricity – Whole House Solar is expensive. Affordable systems require a change of life style. Propane is the suggested fuel for the cook stove and water heater
    Fire Starting using cotton ball & Vaseline, ferro rod, and magnesium
    Health and Hygiene – Get first aid training and stock up on soap and toilet paper.
    Shelter - On The Road if you have a camper.
    Shelter – For The Homeless
    Space Heating using wood stoves, propane, electricity and kerosene
    Toilets, basic model and composting.
    Water – Filters, Purifiers, Pasteurization, Distillation
    Clean drinking water is a critical resource in an emergency. Three days without clean drinking water then nothing else will be needed.
    Plan ahead or it will be too late. How far must you travel to collect water? Do you have suitable containers? Filters? You need a plan.
    Water - Heating with solar, wood and propane fuel. An outdoor propane powered turkey cooker is a simple, easy and inexpensive hot water heater for a shower. This has been used in off grid shower applications with a 12V Shurflow water pump and kitchen dish sprayer. If an extended shower is wanted fill more buckets.
    Water - Rain Collection - Quick Deploying Rain Catchment There is a treasure chest of information about collecting and storing rain water on Youtube. 5 gallon buckets of water will not survive a freeze.
    Rain water storage for human consumption requires blocking sunlight from the water to prevent algae growth. Water for a survival garden can have algae. Filter before drinking.
    Water - Rain Water Collection and Storage
    Water – Shower using 12 volts or a weed sprayer.The average shower is 17.2 gallons, 8.2 min @ 2.1 gpm and 105 degrees F. Use a military shower technique to save water.
    Water – Retrieval Without Electricity
    Tools knife sharpening and a back packing wood saw.

Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 18th April 2021 at 18:33.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st May 2021), Blastolabs (1st April 2021), Brigantia (2nd April 2021), CurEus (3rd April 2021), Dick (2nd April 2021), Dumpster Diver (31st March 2021), Gracy May (1st April 2021), Harmony (3rd April 2021), Hym (3rd April 2021), Icare (31st March 2021), Ioneo (31st March 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (2nd April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (1st April 2021), Metaphor (31st March 2021), Miha (1st April 2021), Mike (1st April 2021), mountain_jim (31st May 2021), palehorse (1st April 2021), Richard S. (1st April 2021), Sadieblue (1st April 2021), Samson (30th May 2021), Stephanie (1st April 2021), toppy (1st April 2021), Trisher (1st April 2021), Valle (30th May 2021), Victoria (30th May 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thailand Avalon Member palehorse's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,903 times in 592 posts

Default Re: Solutions for preppers

Thank you Sir,
    I am going through all these stuffs right now as I am writing some sort of field guide for hard times, with your permission I will borrow some of your materials.

Looking forward for the "Electricity - Solar Energy" part.
    Last edited by palehorse; 1st April 2021 at 12:09.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Alecs (1st April 2021), Bill Ryan (31st May 2021), Harmony (3rd April 2021), Hym (3rd April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (1st April 2021), Miha (1st April 2021), mountain_jim (31st May 2021), Stephanie (1st April 2021), Trisher (1st April 2021), Victoria (30th May 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Guide: Here to help

Thanks
    Thanked 17,333 times in 2,075 posts

Everything I post is available at no cost, no credits needed.
    My reward is feeling that I have made another happy.

My original post has been updated with "Electricity - Solar Energy". Expect more updates to the original post.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 1st April 2021 at 15:45.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st May 2021), Harmony (3rd April 2021), Hym (3rd April 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (2nd April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (1st April 2021), magicmanx (1st April 2021), mountain_jim (31st May 2021), palehorse (2nd April 2021), Stephanie (1st April 2021), Victoria (30th May 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 times in 297 posts

Great stuff! Appreciated :-)
    "You can´t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending"
    C S Lewis

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metaphor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st May 2021), Harmony (3rd April 2021), Hym (3rd April 2021), palehorse (30th May 2021), Victoria (30th May 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 times in 671 posts

Very informative.

For those looking to DL a librariy of useful prepper info here is my old thread linking to 13GB of books.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...aredness-books

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st May 2021), Harmony (3rd April 2021), Hym (3rd April 2021), mountain_jim (31st May 2021), palehorse (3rd April 2021), Victoria (30th May 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    Very informative.

For those looking to DL a librariy of useful prepper info here is my old thread linking to 13GB of books.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...aredness-books
    I downloaded it all, thanks for that, I am reorganizing it little by little, found out I had already some of the docs, there is some pearls in there, have to harvest

To complement it, I found this one http://augmentinforce.50webs.com which I also downloaded lots of docs, very prep oriented..

and here is another resourceful website with literally tons of data (140TB) not only for prep, but nearly about everything.
    https://the-eye.eu/
    --

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st May 2021), mountain_jim (31st May 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,358 times in 2,318 posts

Things can be a lot easier if you don't mind being dirty or eating anything edible. As in KISS principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
    "KISS, an acronym for keep it simple, stupid, is a design principle noted by the U.S. Navy in 1960.[1][2] The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore, simplicity should be a key goal in design, and unnecessary complexity should be avoided. The phrase has been associated with aircraft engineer Kelly Johnson.[3] The term "KISS principle" was in popular use by 1970.[4] Variations on the phrase include: "Keep it simple, silly", "keep it short and simple", "keep it simple and straightforward",[5] "keep it small and simple", "keep it simple, soldier",[6] or "keep it simple, sailor".

Things that I normally carry when I go to the wild. At least 5 lighters with light, place on different locations. the cheap china brand cost a dollar for 5 pieces. Plastics and parasail to keep everything dry and to catch rain. Water filter. knife and bolo. headlamp. At least 1 cooking pot. some rope. small butane stove for emergency use only.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st May 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

yeah agree, I have been using the KISS principle in programming for the last 20 years or so, i like it simple, but we a not talking about a camping trip, but a homestead, an off-grid life, something not temporarily, which will require a little more effort to setup, most of the documents in those links use the KISS principle as well (I mean, the idea is simplistic), I personally found many of these documents very useful, since I do not know how to do all the stuffs I need, one of the options is to learn how to do and do it to best of my ability, the other option is just pay someone to do that, but then what I would be learning in the process? probably nothing to almost nothing.
    --

16. The Following User Says Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st May 2021)

+ Reply to Thread