+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A questionnaire about people critical of the global narrative

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Default A questionnaire about people critical of the global narrative

Hi, Everyone: I'm posting this thread in support of the Masters Degree project of a welcome new member, ButtonsandBeads.

I've been corresponding with her by email, and I invited her to join as an active member. I think she'll find herself very much at home here, and I can personally endorse her values, her interests and her work.

I gave some thought to the thread title, because it's really about "conspiracy theories" and those good people who adhere to them, or suspect their existence.

Or, maybe in many cases, those who feel they know for sure that all is not as it seems in the world. (Yours truly has that unshakeable certainty. ) Of course, this is quite some deep, multi-branched, corkscrew-shaped rabbit hole — to say the very least.

When ButtonsandBeads (who may say more about herself on this thread) drafted her questionnaire, she had to pass it by her university Ethics Committee — and for that purpose the term "conspiracy theories" was used as a general descriptor. But there's no pejorative (denigrating) intent in the term, which I know many reading this may justifiably be sensitive to.

Besides anyone reading this (as a member or a guest) completing the questionnaire — which I'll be interested to do myself in just a moment — she and I would very much welcome comments on this thread. It's a pretty interesting topic in itself.

Here's her own drafted introduction:

~~~
    How have you experienced the world of alternative research? What brought you down the rabbit hole? By sharing your perceptions of the CT ("conspiracy theory") experience as an individual, you could help to make a positive step towards reducing the alienation and criticism felt by this community and make your voice heard.

As someone with a genuine personal interest in conspiracy theories and alternative research, I have chosen to focus my dissertation for my Masters in Psychology on the views of people who participate in online conspiracy theory/alternative research discussion forums.

People who reject official explanations of events are often lumped together into one group – a group that can be viewed very negatively by others; the aim of my study is to understand the way in which participants see themselves and the CT community, and what it is that has spurred them to believe alternative explanations and to participate in the forums.

For more information, please click the link below to visit the questionnaire; more details on the aims of the study, and contact details, can be found on the introductory page.

I would like to emphasise that I am not affiliated in any way with any political or commercial group, and that this questionnaire and study is in no way intended to cause concern or offense. Thank you in advance for your time.

https://mmu.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/for...jT8WCG7RfGK6wu

QUESTIONNAIRE QUESTIONS:
    (From Bill: you can discuss those here, for sure, but please DO actually respond to the online questionnaire itself.)
    • When did you first discover an interest in alternative research or CTs? Can you describe the first time you rejected the “official version” of an event and believed an alternative theory?
    • What do you think contributes to your belief(s) in alternative research/CT?
    • Do you participate in online discussions about alternative research/conspiracy theories? Why (not)?
    • What first brought you to the website/discussion forum in which you found this questionnaire?
    • What aspects of the discussion forum do you enjoy, and are there any you find challenging?
    • How much do you feel a part of the alternative research/CT community? Can you explain why?
    • How much of your interest and/or participation are people in your offline life aware of?
    ~~~
    An added note from Bill, the next day:

Folks, many thanks for all your most fascinating replies. Do please see this new post of mine (#14) in acknowledgment.

But I may not have clarified properly that Natalie (ButtonsandBeads), who introduces herself more personally in the preface to her questionnaire, needs the questionnaire completed online and can't just copy your answers that are posted on the thread, no matter how detailed they are.

Here's the link again. It's truly private. I was expecting to be asked to leave my email address, but I wasn't even asked my name, contact details, or anything. Nada. I just had to check-box my okay for the information to be used anonymously for her interesting thesis.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 17th April 2021 at 10:42.

2. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), avid (16th April 2021), Baby Steps (17th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), Blacklight43 (16th April 2021), Bluegreen (16th April 2021), bluestflame (16th April 2021), Brigantia (16th April 2021), Brodie75 (11th July 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (16th April 2021), ClearWater (17th April 2021), DeDukshyn (16th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), Eva2 (17th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), gord (16th April 2021), Gracy (16th April 2021), Gwin Ru (16th April 2021), Harmony (16th April 2021), heretogrow (16th April 2021), Hym (16th April 2021), Inversion (16th April 2021), Ioneo (17th April 2021), Ivanhoe (17th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (16th April 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th April 2021), Mike (16th April 2021), Open Minded Dude (16th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), Reinhard (16th April 2021), Satori (16th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), validatedmystery (23rd December 2021), wondering (16th April 2021), Yoda (16th April 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Default Re: A questionnaire about people critical of the global narrative

#1 I think it's when I read None Dare Call It Conspiracy around 1980.
    First time I rejected the Official Story was around 1968 regarding JFK, RFK & MLK assassinations.
    #2 A 4-year media and congressional coordinated campaign to remove Trump as president
    #3 Only on Avalon
    #4 Disbelief in headline journalism, a need to get the real story
    #5 I enjoy discussions about hidden power, nothing challenging
    #6 A small part of the online research community
    #7 Family aware, not business contacts

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Baby Steps (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), gord (16th April 2021), Harmony (16th April 2021), heretogrow (16th April 2021), Inversion (16th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (16th April 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th April 2021), Mike (16th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), Reinhard (16th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), wondering (16th April 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

I don't want to divert anyone from completing her questionnaire! But I have to say, even thinking about all this had me way down the rabbit hole, feeling a little dizzy. (It's those corkscrew turns that do that. )

A few initial thoughts to catalyze a discussion:

~~~
    • Not all [so-called] "conspiracy theories" have any substance. At all. Those questioning whether a lone gunman killed JFK in 1963 have NOTHING in common with anyone who's dumb enough to think the earth is flat.
    • That very kind of association is often used to denigrate those who question a media-endorsed narrative. You see this all the time. ("You don't think Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK? I suppose you believe it was Bigfoot.")
    • The world is so busy and so complicated — and for many, so stressful — that very few people have the time, energy or resources to do real research or even any real reading. (How many people read books any more??) So the shortcut is to default to conveniently held beliefs. That applies to those who subscribe to mainstream narrative as well as those subscribing to narrative-denial. This is important to understand.
    • For instance (and this is NOT a covid thread!), many people who question the government-and-WHO driven narrative about (a) covid and (b) the current vaccination push (while genuinely effective and simple treatments are ignored or censored) go to an extreme and claim that the SARS-CoV-2 virus doesn't exist at all. Then that also becomes a defended belief, which may or may not have any grounding in research and reality. To say that this confuses things may be an understatement.
    • Where that goes is that many throw out a whole bunch of babies in the bathwater, denying ALL science and ALL scientists. Many people, through no fault of their own, don't have the scientific or historical background or training to evaluate some claims — of any kind. So the beliefs kick in, and then tend to be held regardless of evidence of any kind. This is a huge topic and a very difficult one.
    • What we're really dealing with here (I'd suggest) is a kind of self-medication. People always strive, consciously or otherwise, to reduce the stresses and uncertainties in their lives. To say "I really don't know about this. I'm going to have to spend a weekend doing a whole bunch of reading" is itself a stressor. It's far easier to just assume a position and defend it. Humans have been doing this since the beginning of time.
    • So what this may really be all about — to a large extent — is the psychology of belief. Discuss. (Maybe! )

6. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Baby Steps (17th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), bluestflame (16th April 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (16th April 2021), Constance (16th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), gord (16th April 2021), Harmony (16th April 2021), heretogrow (16th April 2021), holcaul (17th April 2021), Hym (16th April 2021), Inversion (16th April 2021), Ioneo (17th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (16th April 2021), leavesoftrees (17th April 2021), LJY (18th April 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th April 2021), Matthew (16th April 2021), Mike (16th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (16th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021), validatedmystery (23rd December 2021), wondering (16th April 2021), Yoda (16th April 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,754 times in 2,614 posts

For me, even before 2 years old I noticed people did quite normal things that didn't make sense. You learned people are suppose to be nice and treat each other with respect, but that didn't always happen. Sharing is good, but only sometimes. God is good and if you do and think good things nothing bad will happen to you, that didn't always work out either.

Growing up and noticing the power plays, brutal powerful banks and corporations sucking the life out of the earth and workers. Beautiful wildlife and domestic animals, forests and habitat, waterways destroyed with no respect or care given. Wars, killing people, political cycles, different people in power but still the same.

The same parasitic attitude where some groups take as much as they can with no regard for others. Other groups sharing and caring, repairing and creating, giving, nurturing for rhe future of an integrated world.

So trying to find out who, what, where, when, why this happens is just a natural progression. Is there groups of people or beings through out history that think and act like they are separate from the whole integration of life, rather like a cancer? To think they may work with hidden agendas from hidden places unseen, while manipulating the structure dynamics to funnel energy and power and wealth to themselves forcing others to unknowingly react to their power plays.

Questioning and trying to figure out what is happening from a spiritual, mental, emotional and physical perspective is really a good idea if we want to change the present dynamics.

8. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (16th April 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (16th April 2021), Constance (16th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), East Sun (16th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), gord (16th April 2021), Gwin Ru (16th April 2021), heretogrow (16th April 2021), Hym (16th April 2021), Inversion (16th April 2021), Ioneo (17th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (16th April 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th April 2021), Mike (16th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (16th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I figured I should post my own answers. (Some might be curious! )

~~~

Q1. When did you first discover an interest in alternative research or CTs? Can you describe the first time you rejected the “official version” of an event and believed an alternative theory?
    I was always reading UFO books from the library, as young as aged 12. I also saved up my pocket money and bought BIGFOOT by John Napier, and CHARIOTS OF THE GODS by Erich von Däniken.

One interesting little event I remember from my childhood was when I was aged just 8, and our teacher asked us to write a short essay on anything we wanted. Everyone else in the class wrote stories about their puppy dog or their trip to the seaside. But I wanted to write about Ghosts and Flying Saucers (though I knew next to nothing about either!) — and the teacher wouldn't let me.
    Q2. What do you think contributes to your belief(s) in alternative research/CT?
    Well, that can be answered on a number of different levels. On one level (see my previous answer) I've been curious about mysterious or unusual phenomena from a pretty early age. On a completely different level, and one that's impossible to prove (of course!), in-depth past-life regression has revealed that my very purpose in being here this lifetime was to help contribute to increased awareness about all this. That's such a major item all on its own that it's impossible to do justice to it all in a brief response like this.
    Q3. Do you participate in online discussions about alternative research/conspiracy theories? Why (not)?
    Yes: I was the co-founder of Project Camelot (with Kerry Cassidy) in 2006, and am currently running Project Avalon, a major online forum that addresses just about everything under the sun and beyond. Avalon is about far more than just alternative research, but that's one major component of the themes that are discussed.
    Q4. What first brought you to the website/discussion forum in which you found this questionnaire?
    I was Project Avalon's founder. When I read Natalie's introductory email, I realized immediately that this questionnaire was a project we should support.
    Q5. What aspects of the discussion forum do you enjoy, and are there any you find challenging?
    The personal benefit for me is the wide range of new information, perspectives, experiences and ideas that are brought to the shared table by all the members. It's like a digest of all the huge amount of stuff that's out there. So individual members regularly post items that they find and feel are important, in effect saying: "Hey guys, look at this."

What's personally challenging (for lack of a better word) is that as a facilitator of this huge, decade-long continuous conversation, I sometimes have to sit on my hands a little when I feel that someone is just plain wrong about something. Our purpose is to learn together and be each others' teachers together, so we have to allow freedom of expression and exploration — with a few limits.

For instance, Flat Earthers are politely shown the door. But we have a fairly high tolerance for discussion of most other things: a healthy dictum is that freedom of expression makes good ideas better, and bad ideas go away.

That doesn't always work, of course, as some people are wedded to beliefs that won't be amended whatever they are. But it seems important, in a age where there really is increased media and social media censorship, to allow as much freedom of expression as possible.

So, it's a balancing act. My personal protocol is (as best I can) to be tolerant, kind, supportive, and to preside over open discussion like a chairperson in a meeting. I and the other moderators may step in when a conversation becomes a little heated, but the application process the forum has is a pretty effective firewall against trolls, idiots, and people who are simply unpleasant.

That filter helps to create a community of genuinely nice people — often highly qualified and with significant experience of all kinds — who almost always mean well. So that alone does a great deal to help the Avalon forum be a genuine place of learning and growth for everyone.
    Q6. How much do you feel a part of the alternative research/CT community? Can you explain why?
    Ha. Well, for this question we have to talk about the evolution of social media to the unhealthy cacophony that it's now become. As previously mentioned, back in 2006 I was the co-founder of Project Camelot with Kerry Cassidy. At that time, we were pioneers and front-runners in our field. Compared to today, there were relatively few YouTube channels, websites or blogs dedicated to genuine "alternative" research.

Now, the field is flooded. And there's a disturbing "Stockholm Syndrome" in effect which, rather to my surprise, very few seem able to see.

That takes the form of the "alternative media" becoming more and more like its mainstream counterpart, which it always criticizes but also closely emulates.

There's egotism in abundance, competition, blatant self-promotion, the creation of faux celebrities, fake news (plenty of it!), monetization, dramatic intro music, and so much now that's unintelligent, unpleasant, shallow and crude.

I still have a YouTube channel of my own (AlphaZebra), but I've not uploaded anything there for several years. I don't want to be shrieking for attention, and I have nothing to promote. But I do know that I'm well-respected out there, and that some people listen carefully to what I have to offer or share. So in a way I've found my peace with all this, and the right people will always find a way to find what they need.
    Q7. How much of your interest and/or participation are people in your offline life aware of?
    All my friends know everything about my interests and activities. They always have. I've never kept anything secret from anyone. The vast majority of them are of like mind. I've been fortunate inasmuch as I've never once had any of those conflicts with friends or family that many others report.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 16th April 2021 at 16:43.

10. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Baby Steps (17th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), boja (16th April 2021), Brodie75 (11th July 2021), ButtonsandBeads (16th April 2021), Constance (16th April 2021), DeDukshyn (16th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), Eva2 (17th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), gord (16th April 2021), Gwin Ru (16th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Hym (16th April 2021), Inversion (16th April 2021), Ioneo (17th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (16th April 2021), leavesoftrees (17th April 2021), LJY (18th April 2021), Mike (16th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), Peace in Oz (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (16th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021), Yoda (16th April 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, and thank you Bill for your support - it is hugely appreciated.

As a little bit of an introduction, I am working full-time as a teacher whilst studying part-time for my Masters in Psychology, and this is a topic that I have chosen completely freely, with a genuine interest in the subject and with no intention whatsoever of alienating or offending.

As Bill said, by all means please do post whatever thoughts you have in reply to this thread, but it would be fantastic to have some responses to the survey. Thank you

12. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ButtonsandBeads For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), Bluegreen (16th April 2021), Brigantia (16th April 2021), Constance (16th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), Eva2 (17th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Hym (16th April 2021), Ioneo (17th April 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th April 2021), Mike (16th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), Peace in Oz (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,307 times in 5,692 posts

1) I became interested in CT's in the midst of a heart malady. It became increasingly clear to me over time that health care in the U.S. was mostly a money making business and little else (not to dismiss all the wonderful and caring people in healthcare, particulary the nurses). I was shocked and appalled by what I discovered, but little did I know at the time that healthcare was only the tip of the iceberg. It merely represented my first step down the rabbit hole.

2) I'm mostly led by observations and facts, and less by beliefs.

3) I do participate in discussions here about CT's. Why? Because they're often the most compelling, most crucial topics affecting the planet today.

4) I came to the forum while looking for Bill (I'd watched many of his interviews with whistleblowers, but had lost track of him for a bit, and rediscoverd him here)

5) What I enjoy most about the forum is the freedom it allows me to speak on almost anything I please and in any manner I please, within reason. Very little is off limits here, except for a few things like the flat earth, as Bill said, and maybe a couple other blatantly silly CT's.

6) I don't think of it as a community, though I understand the convenience that the word 'community' presents and don't fault you for using it. I'm more of a lone wolf. And I think quite a few here the same. We convene here because it's easier and simply more pleasant to share with like minds. But even among those like minds there are considerable differences, which makes things interesting and fun.

7) Most of my friends and family are aware of my interests, at least obliquely. But I don't talk about them much unless I'm asked directly.

Good luck with your project Buttonsandbeads!

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (16th April 2021), Constance (16th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), Eva2 (17th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Hym (16th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

1. When did you first discover an interest in alternative research or CTs? Can you describe the first time you rejected the “official version” of an event and believed an alternative theory?
    2. What do you think contributes to your belief(s) in alternative research/CT?
    3. Do you participate in online discussions about alternative research/conspiracy theories? Why (not)?
    4. What first brought you to the website/discussion forum in which you found this questionnaire?
    5. What aspects of the discussion forum do you enjoy, and are there any you find challenging?
    6. How much do you feel a part of the alternative research/CT community? Can you explain why?
    7. How much of your interest and/or participation are people in your offline life aware of?

1. From a small child I had this strong drive to question everything and understand how everything works. I also became fascinated with language and questioned why we call things the things we do, and speak the way we do.

One of my first rejections of an "official story" was within my home religion of Christianity. There was so much that was contradictory and made absolutely no sense to me. When I asked really hard questions to the religious authorities, they never had any good answers, just things like "you must trust in the things you cannot understand" - basically talking down to me like I was stupid. This was probably about age 12. I began to see organized religion as something that tried to have a monopoly on "God" and steer us in their specifically desired direction.

I have always questioned everything, but another big kicker for me was the Sept 11th attacks on the WTC - early 20's. I immediately outright questioned the official story, something about it just stunk to me, so I started some research and found the stink got a whole lot stinkier, reinforcing some of my intuition on such matters.

2. A simple concept ... the idea that we have this arrogance that we believe that what we think we know now, have established as the "official story" (no matter what - science, news, history, etc) is the 100% god given truth and that we judge all new information against this paradigm. Yet the precedence is and has always been that we are mostly wrong about things.

So much of what we believed in the past as "fact" has been proven wrong with time. "the universe revolves around the earth - just watch the sky for proof!", "atoms are the smallest building blocks of matter - we can't see anything smaller so this is the truth!", "There's no advanced ancient civilizations, because its not part of our history!" - etc. etc.

So to not question this paradigm, and only measuring new information against that paradigm is easily one of the biggest and most arrogant fallacies that plagues our advancement of understanding and knowledge of the truth. When the entire system itself, of information ecology is broken, the information itself has a high possibility of being wrong or tainted. This fact has historically been used and abused, over and over, by those who understand and use to their selfish endeavours.

So it's not about "I believe in CTs" at all for me - its about "without the paradigm against which I am supposed to evaluate this, and considering the vastness of the space of what we don't know we don't know, how does this look to me?"

The concept of the judgement of "CTs" in this regard is irrelevant.

3. Yes, I like a good debate or discussion on topics I am knowledgeable in, or to simply ask questions that reveal a perspective previously unseen by others. I like to stir the pot a bit, here and on social media and personal conversation.

4. Material on the topic of who the real "rulers" of the world is.

5. a) Discussion, debate, learning and sharing perspectives and ideas, but also challenging ideas and information - just because something is considered "alternative info" or a "CT" does NOT make it correct, nor should it automatically avoid the same scrutiny I would put an "official narrative" under.

b) Language in itself can be a barrier to good communication, I find. There's some misunderstandings that happen due to people assuming a perspective taken, subjective interpretation, language barriers, etc.

6. A medium sized part, I guess, never really considered that.

7. I'm pretty open, but I only discuss intelligent and well researched topics personally with people, so people usually initially think of me as a conspiracy theorist, then often after more dialogue come to reason that I just intelligently question everything.

Unfortunately, due to probably some operation, at least in part due to heavy media and big tech influence, intelligently questioning things now mostly just brand one as a "tinfoil hat wearer" - considering the people and structures that gain the most from this branding, it can hardly be a coincidence.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 17th April 2021 at 03:06.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (16th April 2021), EarthGirl (16th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,168 times in 218 posts

I started looking for the alternative way because I was desperate, no matter how hard I worked, no matter what I did I was always exhausted, tired and in debt. I thought to myself many times, "if this is all there is to life then I don't really want to be a part of" it's wasn't fun, it wasn't nice and continually 'chasing your tail' just gets boring.

I spoke to a friend as I knew he'd had a reading with a lady that contacted angels and so I got one. Having been stuck in the indoctrinated system for so long, I knew it wasn't right.

Something deep down kept telling me this isn't the real world...

The funny thing is years later in conversation with this friend I reminded him how he had spoken to me about this lady and the reading he had had and the fact that he had told me about it persuaded me to give it a go... He denied all knowledge of this conversation and instead tells me it was ME that approached him about it, he didn't talk about it because well... You didn't talk these things then... Go figure...

Anyway I did a few courses and during one memorable one she did a reading for everyone in the room and the energy/voice came through like a wise old whale energy. Words of wisdom to me were "do you really think we would lose such a little one as you" and that my 'path' was being relaid for me... In my innocence at the time, I thought the 'energy' had cottoned on to the fact I was thinking of doing away with myself and I felt quite guilty for even thinking it. it wasn't until we were all talking afterwards and several folk came up to me and said "I wish I was having my path relaid for me" Only then did it dawn on me that things would change...
    Last edited by EarthGirl; 16th April 2021 at 20:22. Reason: Typos

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to EarthGirl For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), Ewan (16th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,951 times in 2,389 posts

Hey Buttons, I've completed your online questionaire.

To answer it with more detail I continue...

To be quite honest I felt a slight sensation of fear whan I considered how the 'wrong' people could use the information from your survey. With that in mind I invite you to discover where and when the term Conspiracy Theorist first came to prominence and if there may have been a concerted push to promulgate a very negative aspect to that term.

When did you first discover an interest in alternative research or CTs? Can you describe the first time you rejected the “official version” of an event and believed an alternative theory?

I was always a very curious person even as a child. Why? was my most often asked question much to the exasperation of parent and teacher alike. It seemed that if something did not make sense to me I would need further explanation. It took quite a long time to figure out that people tended to accept the most often quoted answer and never actually asked 'why' themselves. Ultimately that leads to a world where most everyone just believes the most commonly accepted view with a complete disregard for critical thinking and proof. The key turning point was at 26 yrs old, reading a book by John Pilger, an independant journalist whose books told the stories that never made it into mainstream news.

What do you think contributes to your belief(s) in alternative research/CT?

The fact that in many cases the alternative research makes far more SENSE and with less to GAIN or PROFIT from.

Do you participate in online discussions about alternative research/conspiracy theories? Why (not)?

Yes. I suppose there has to be an element of confirmation bias but I also really appreciate the responses that argue for the opposite. Gravitating to that which you already believe to be true is not going to get you very far, you have to look at other angles too.

What first brought you to the website/discussion forum in which you found this questionnaire?

I genuinely don't remember, other than it was recommended as a place I might appreciate.

What aspects of the discussion forum do you enjoy, and are there any you find challenging?

The most challenging aspect for me is maintaining a civil tongue with some of the more enthusiastic members who seem to embrace any new theory with an apparent lack of critical thought or reason.
    I enjoy any well considered response and/or any well researched response. Basically any response that is the opposite of a soundbyte - which are so favoured by media talking heads and politicains in general.

How much do you feel a part of the alternative research/CT community? Can you explain why?

I don't feel apart of it at all. I meet some like-minded people in open discussion and there is always something new to learn. I don't view it as a community but an open platform forum to share ideas and thoughts.

How much of your interest and/or participation are people in your offline life aware of?

Most of my family know, I suspect they fear for my sanity. Which is a real irony that I cannot even begin to explain to them.
    I largely stay quiet these days as it is obvious people do not want their beliefs challenged...

..And in that final remark perhaps lies an answer a psychologist needs to give serious consideration to. How much of ones beliefs are valid and how many of those beliefs have been tied into the personality that believes them. IE: To challenge ones beliefs can be interpreted as an attack on the personality that holds them to be true, automatically producing a negative response to new information.

That would mean telling, or sharing, a truer version of events is very difficult. What a mountain to climb!

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Anka (16th April 2021), bennycog (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), meeradas (16th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

01. There was a period between 6 and 9 years when I was little. As a child I participated with an open heart in all activities that proclaimed an independent republic with free citizens, and I often did not understand why I had to run to a place among people to buy certain food in a socialist republic with people free to work.
    I was in choirs that sang for the joy of the prosperous country and its wealth, and for the beloved leader, I was a very obedient and hardworking child. Everything was fine until I saw on TV the "leader of the country" shot in the head, and from there I started to pay attention differently.
    As an idea of "supreme leader" ... this continued
    I grew up in a God-believing family and believed in "my angel" more than all the "obligatory and too inapplicable things" that served the procedure of a Christian in general in my country. It all ended when I saw the funeral of a baby (a coffin so small that it fit all my perplexity). I was left with only "my angel" but without any faith in a God too authoritarian and vengeful not to save a baby.
    As an idea of the "supreme leader", the idea still continues (seems plausible wrong anyway), with the addition that it was here from ancient times.
    Speaking of "spirituality" in my individual form (and only my opinion), in the past, maybe it wasn't necessary to "pray" to too many gods, maybe it was better to "talk to them at the table" (as between people).

02. My place in spirituality as an act of deeply autonomous philosophical contemplation with implications in some fields and levels, as far as I can be, a kind of hope beyond which, does not actually save the daily pathos of living, does not preserve it, does not observes and does not emulate, it only transfers the quality that we can be happy, we can feel good, we can be in love, we can help at any time. A fairly natural habit.

In the metabolism of a world in which hope as a recurring function, is greater than the voluptuousness of obscure roots or penumbras, even if not surprisingly people by the "imposed" nature consider "horror movies" appreciably as a "constant" reference; Hope, an alternative recipe to the opposite of fear, is now trying to conjugate itself, conjectural in the mass, somehow, the alternatives are always targeted, and the conspiracy always explains the inapplicable.
    For example, everyone knows that it is difficult for a government to become so incompetent and untalented in terms of government (even if we persistently somehow manage to always choose it) and then some invent, others find "the strings that pull "to these" governing puppets "; the question is: So why would I vote for another "secondary piece"?

An unaccented form of "duty" or "belonging" to "this world" requires a drop (or more) of courage or (more), a definite hope of believing in the vigor and vitality of your human nation;
    to believe in its resources; to believe in her initiative, in her good orientation and in her efficiency; with all the risk assumed and of course in discussion sessions (studies and research) for years in the good spirit of constructive guidance for the supreme benefit of life on earth.

I, "personally" do not think that being "victim" is a quality and I do not think it is a virtue of constructive belonging, I know that not all of us can decide, but between being a blocked victim and to see the whole nation of people living in the spirit of the law to their diversity, I choose beauty in everything, not as a goal, but as a shared comfort.

03. and 06. The disorders of the contemporary world (political, moral, legal, and the whole "pleiades") confuse us optimally between the first rules of the "plates of Moses" and the resolution of "coexistence" over time has closed our history and our power in a can.
    The reforms of "regulation and reformulation of the mind of mankind" were accidentally sporadic well-founded for the naturalness of any time; In general, the progressive ideology of "going uphill" declarations has become a whimsical habit, proclaiming and upholding "human rights" at the center of a storm.
    One of the "problems" (in my opinion): is the penetrating easy manipulation when in the speed of the century few and wrong ideas are used in an inattentive and hasty formulation, accessible and favorable in this case for the "regimentation" of the world. Between "Platonism" and "Egalitarianism", ideology (as a way of "fast food") serves us (for example through the method of discrimination) with the almost accepted consent that we may sometimes agree. A kind of "lucrative vicious circle", some factors enhancing continuity, playing the ego very harshly at a postage stamp price, in fact a wide "set of ethical concepts that regulate our lives" in a perpetual contradiction.

There is no question of why I would agree or not to, it is "important" that the "vascularization of the social body" forms an improper uneasiness in all this ambiguity of evaluation.
    I read somewhere: "The greater the distance between the perpetrator and the one who planned it, the greater the responsibility."
    I still believe that apart from "good is substantial" and "evil is only possible" I discern the "problem of evil" in the seemingly good reasoning that we cannot aspire to an action of all answers to any question globally, nor it is possible, and it also does not have to take the "secret" to the level of paroxysm more than it is.

"Spiritually" in vague terms may said that sin is mine but temptation is not mine, therefore outward provocation is more fashionable nowadays, but two things cannot be said about the "problem of evil" and the "problem of good" in the middle of truth, in five minutes and three steps; "evil always finds moments" in which it knows how to intervene, so between a nap of relaxation in front of the common factors we face, between a state close to "tedium cordium acedia" and Ephesians 6:12, there is no room but for discernment to truly cherish the integrity of the level, not optimal, but almost perfect.
    For me, too much hope and too much despair does not work, I am just a finite creature form of some "identity", I do not run to add an over-identity out of necessity but out of the annex of nature of soul.

What can I do with a one-year-old child who dies (free will? Strengthening his character?) Sometimes people do not automatically embrace their species (human intra-species always have reservations).
    I know that we may have to leave in questionable proportions good and evil present simultaneously (outside the hurried order), a way of admitting (always) that man and the planet are an aggregate, and this "unseen war" is not a matter of " Galactic Gladiators come in groups to save the world".

We are not invited to a wedding, without seeing the sun rise for both the "good" and the "bad", we have never lived in an aseptic world intolerant of catastrophes.
    The excess of this "activism" in the actuality of the "organizational" proliferation, for me is a "walk with premature actions", I know that it is difficult to wait for the "end" or the "beginning". Beneficial conversion can occur at any time, I do not have to wait for "original sin" to be able to at least call "knowledge" in my own way.
    However, as we do not have the necessary tools to separate good from evil globally (proof that we have always rushed to discern before waiting in contemplation), so, for example on a daily basis, we may never find the criteria enough "correct" to separate things to the level at which we were not designed to do so.

If "divinity" was allowed to go through suffering and doubt, then we humans are also allowed, with the difference that it would not necessarily be necessary.

04. A kind of "mystery of spring" or a "mystery of the eternal beginning" through the prism of my experiences.
    I am "green" about the spiritual revival, the normal one that happened in its time for each one, I fell by virtue of hope, without making any calculation, in search of normality, I found this place of decency in which I can express my freedom.

05. I am interested in the discussions that lead to an optical spiritual "inflation" of the soul; those that bring a dilation of good manners, of love of fellow human beings; of the aesthetics of human nature in the full vocation of belonging to this planet, by protecting any form of life. I find nothing more challenging than being a good friend to whoever wants it.

07. As a number there are many, as domains are helpful to me and I respect them for that.

Specifically, I touched on only one of the "interventions" or sides of the subject, hoping that I helped.
    Good luck in the project!

Anca
    And all this to be just human.

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

bennycog (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (16th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), Ewan (17th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

Filled out the questionnaire
    Last edited by Bluegreen; 17th April 2021 at 14:23.

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Anka (17th April 2021), bennycog (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (17th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), Ewan (17th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Inversion (17th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), TomKat (17th April 2021)

25. Link to Post #13
    Australia Avalon Member bennycog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 times in 971 posts

When did you first discover an interest in alternative research or CTs? Can you describe the first time you rejected the “official version” of an event and believed an alternative theory?
    Its really hard to describe but as a young teen i just knew we were living life in a totally opposite direction than we are supposed to and that it was because of controllers. I was abused as a child so i believe the trauma i went through made it easier to see through the veil or see through others to who they really are.
    What do you think contributes to your belief(s) in alternative research/CT?
    What contributes to my beliefs are the evidence of people doing vile things and having that said evidence be used to control those people
    Do you participate in online discussions about alternative research/conspiracy theories? Why (not)?
    I used to but i am way to busy these days. i barely get time to myself or to reghularly check my favourite site
    What first brought you to the website/discussion forum in which you found this questionnaire?
    I have been here from the very first forum that Bill had. Long time Project Camelot fan
    What aspects of the discussion forum do you enjoy, and are there any you find challenging?
    i always found the so called whistlblowrs very challenging you had to ask a question but you also had to sit back and think that they are not who they say they are unfortunately it happens so much that you have top entertain them so the real one does not get put off from coming forward
    How much do you feel a part of the alternative research/CT community? Can you explain why?
    I feel very held back at the moment for any type of research. The focus right now is the "Coronavirus" Variants and the re-opening up of the world when vaccines are a false sense of security and the staging of military equpment and people across the Globe. Just as the sun is waking up while our Magnetic field is weakened
    How much of your interest and/or participation are people in your offline life aware of?
    Absolutley none. Noone would understand me as i have tried many times. So the Scummy Leaders need not worry about me becoming a Prophet leader to bring them down. But i am great on the frontline (

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bennycog For This Post:

Anka (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (17th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), Ewan (17th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Folks, thanks so much for all these very wonderful replies.

Natalie (ButtonsandBeads), who introduces herself more personally in the preface to her questionnaire, is most delighted with the responses but shares my thought that there's been a misunderstanding, which might be all mea culpa.

If so, I apologize! She can't actually use any of these fascinating and often detailed answers unless they're entered on her questionnaire. Here's the link to that again: (And I'll also amend my post #1 to make it a little more clear.)
    You don't need to copy your responses to the thread! (The questionnaire itself will actually be a lot more private and secure anyway.) I just did that myself because I had the idle thought that folks might be a little curious. But I'd actually completed the questionnaire first, then merely copied my entries.

Could I ask those who've already responded so openly to also complete the questionnaire? Thank you!

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (17th April 2021), Baby Steps (17th April 2021), bennycog (18th April 2021), Billy (17th April 2021), Bluegreen (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), DeDukshyn (17th April 2021), Ewan (17th April 2021), Harmony (17th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021), Tintin (17th April 2021), Yoda (17th April 2021)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

I filled out the questionnaire
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Anka (17th April 2021), Bill Ryan (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), Ewan (17th April 2021), Harmony (26th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pyrangello (17th April 2021)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,716 times in 2,088 posts

As I was filling this out , the feeling like the movie close encounters of the first kind where all the people had this desire to get to the mountain looking for the answer. All of us here participating and reading Avalon are that same special group . Its very special that we were all drawn together here from around the world at this moment in time, we all chose to be here.

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pyrangello For This Post:

Anka (17th April 2021), bennycog (18th April 2021), Bill Ryan (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), Ewan (18th April 2021), Harmony (26th April 2021), iota (13th December 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), pabranno (17th April 2021)

33. Link to Post #17
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,499 times in 4,311 posts

I hate to rain on this parade and throw the cat amongst the pigeons here, but something bothers me about this. Personally, I dislike the terms 'alternative research', and 'conspiracy theory'. They connote negative undertones. It seems to me that those who most use them, residing on the other side of the fence, hold a position that there are no secrets, no mysteries at all, at least none that don't have a completely benign, rational explanation. I never understood that. You know, conspiracies exist, and secrets great and small, therefore theories for them must exist too. Those people who believe that the world we live in is controlled by, and made up of, entirely routine and easy-to-understand forces and properties, should be the ones put under the microscope.

For me, trying to understand the psychological mechanism at play that prevents the rest of humanity from not seeing and not understanding the greater reality (or THAT THERE IS a greater reality), and a deeper meaning, a clandestine underbelly, and even a corrupt hidden hand, are more worthy of study. To understand why, moreover, that the same majority spend an inordinate amount of time directing scorn and ridicule at us so-called 'conspiracy' nuts, yet, having not themselves read a single book, reviewed a single case study, interviewed a single witness/participant/victim, watched a single documentary, or themselves conducted a single minute of research on the subject(s).

It's not about "believing" "alternative" "explanations", it is just, and always, about following data and reaching statistically sound probabilities/conclusions. So that's my single answer to the questionnaire.

I understand that's not good enough for many 'non-believers'. Any conclusion that does not blend with the entrenched point of view is met with cynicism and ridicule. It upends the paradigm of what is in their view 'realistic'. But the gauge by which one calibrates realism can only respond from, and react to, the degree of reality to which one has been exposed, and has adapted to. Thus, if one has never experienced anything 'unconventional', or has never read a book on such topics, or conducted any research of their own into it, etc., their psyche has accordingly not expanded to consider the possibilities of things unconventional. Lacking data, they default to the mainstream position of disbelief.

And unfortunately, lacking any data, they vent by throwing scorn at these things, things they simply do not understand, calling it 'fringe', 'conspiracy', and 'tin-hat nonsense'. It happened to Galileo, a conspiracy theorist of his day, for daring to suggest the Earth revolved around the sun. His opponents did not understand the data, or just did not evaluate the data because it was too dangerous. He challenged the ignorance of his time, which was entrenched geocentrism (Earth at the centre of the Universe). That was nothing short of heresy. What we have today is cancel-culture, which is just a modern-day form of heresy. If you espouse theories or ideas that jolt against the mainstream, you are forced to wear that badge – quite irrespective of the knowledge-base of those levelling the charge. A counter argument is just as unnecessary today as it was in Galileo's time. In absence of open debate, of freedom of speech, ideas, and beliefs, all you are left with is scorn. It has reached a point now where those who still hold on to the spirit of freedom and expression and alternative points of view are thought statistically abnormal, and sufficiently deviant enough to warrant a university paper..

I wish you all the best with your study, really I do. But may your next endeavour seek to analyse and evaluate the mainstream-point-of-view-of-things, and why so many adhere to it without a second's independent thought. Why so many default to this mainstream. Why so many are addicted to their bull****. Why so many walk through life blindfolded with ears plugged. That would be a study whose results I'd be much more interested in.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Anka (17th April 2021), bennycog (18th April 2021), Bill Ryan (17th April 2021), ButtonsandBeads (25th April 2021), DeDukshyn (18th April 2021), Ernie Nemeth (17th April 2021), Ewan (18th April 2021), Harmony (26th April 2021), Mike (17th April 2021), Peace in Oz (18th April 2021), Satori (17th April 2021)

35. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you all for your participation in the survey, and for your involvement here - it is truly appreciated. My apologies for not being very active on here recently - I am juggling my day job and other parts of the course, and more than a little overwhelmed.

Star Mariner, I do absolutely understand your concerns and criticisms. With honesty, I share many of them - I don't expect to receive much feedback due to the very nature of the study and the people it hopes to address, and I am conscious that there are no easy routes through this topic. It is solely my interest in this area (and stubbornness) that has kept me on this path, rather than finding another, almost certainly easier, subject for my project.

Unfortunately, there are elements that are, as you point out, almost a self-fulfilling prophecy - the views and ideas that you have shared with me in your email, in which you describe why people may be resistant to the nature of my questionnaire, are the very views and ideas that I am interested in collecting, and yet I can entirely see how those reasons justify not being collected. I've also got to act within the boundaries set by external administrative and ethical teams, and this means that there are limits on what/who/how I can ask - writing the questionnaire, and the additional posts and emails, have been difficult, as I need to stay unbiased whilst holding my own views.

With the limited amount of time that I have in which to complete my dissertation, writing another study and going through the necessary hoop-jumping to get approval for it simply isn't feasible, although I am genuinely curious as to the answers that your suggested study would receive - it is a perspective I had not previously considered, and one that I think would yield very interesting responses.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ButtonsandBeads For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th April 2021), DeDukshyn (25th April 2021), Ewan (26th April 2021), Harmony (26th April 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th April 2021)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ButtonsandBeads (here)
    Thank you all for your participation in the survey, and for your involvement here - it is truly appreciated. My apologies for not being very active on here recently - I am juggling my day job and other parts of the course, and more than a little overwhelmed.
    Natalie, Hi there, and it's good to hear from you again. I'm glad you've been getting some interesting data from Avalon members to work with!

Here again is the link to the online questionnaire:
    I really am happy to endorse this. It's genuinely anonymous, and the questions are open and interesting: you can reply to each with anything from a short sentence to a page of detail (if you want!). In due time, it might be fascinating to learn what conclusions Natalie has drawn from all this.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ewan (26th April 2021), Harmony (26th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (26th April 2021), Tintin (26th April 2021), Yoda (26th April 2021)

+ Reply to Thread