Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: Why humans are unintelligent: it's all about belief

1. Link to Post #61
    United States Avalon Member Free Thinker's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Why humans are unintelligent: it's all about belief

Still catching up on posts here in this thread, so bear with me please, but wanted to say something real quick.

Isn't any/all belief (including the choice to not believe) vital for human consciousness and awareness overall?

After all, wasn't it Friedrich Nietzsche who quoted more or less that a nihilistic society could not possibly survive, much less even exist in the first place? I'd extend that to a nihilistic universe just as well. Or multiverse, omniverse, sentient/sapient biological genetic blueprint, grand/meta-civilization, or whatever else the case may be.

I would think the nature of 'belief' would have its own light, dark and shadow aspects to it, just like anything else in existence.

See this thread here for more discussion on infinite possibilities and ways of attempting to interpret said infinite possibilities from our extremely limited perspectives.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...Life-Existence
    Last edited by Free Thinker; 29th April 2021 at 15:24. Reason: fixed link
    "The truth will set us free, whatever that may be."
    "Question everything. Make a path where there was not one before."
    "We are part of the Universe. It's story, is our story."

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Free Thinker For This Post:

atman (5th June 2021), Bill Ryan (15th May 2021), Constance (29th April 2021), Dennis Leahy (29th April 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021)

3. Link to Post #62
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 44,052 times in 5,435 posts

I like the definition of intelligence as the ability to adapt to change. (Stephen Hawking) It's the "MacGuyver"-type person that expresses this intelligence, not someone like a medical student that has memorized a vast array of pharmaceutical chemical names.

As DeDukshyn said, IQ tests test primarily for pattern recognition. I believe that the IQ tests many of us old farts took as young kids were much less pattern recognition and relied much more heavily on vocabulary and math skills. I've not seen a modern "standard" IQ test, so this is somewhat conjecture based on an IQ test that was published in a scienc-y magazine (Science Digest, I think) a decade or so ago, that they said could be used as a Mensa (high-IQ organization) qualifying test. It was primarily pattern recognition. I remember reading that the old IQ tests came under fire for the vocabulary portion being (unintentionally) geared towards middle class white people, and tests were updated to try to remove the culturally-biased verbiage.

You can study for and take practice tests of an IQ test, and your IQ number will go up. Did you actually get more intelligent?

The SAT and ACT tests that US students take to determine their level of knowledge are tests of language and math skills, and don't even attempt to quantify intelligence (even if the people taking the tests believe it quantifies their intelligence), but rather the ability to succeed in college-level material. These tests are more like what Mike describes as a somewhat reliable indicator of the ability to succeed in life (or at least, in college.)

I like Bill's premise that "belief" is the primary opaque veil thrown over intelligence. The victim doesn't lose intelligence, they block it. I know a bunch of credentialed scientists, and have witnessed - many times - bullsh!t rationalizations and mental gyrations to support something that was based on or tinged by faith/belief and not on data or scientific analysis.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

atman (29th April 2021), Bill Ryan (15th May 2021), Chris Gilbert (29th April 2021), Constance (29th April 2021), Ernie Nemeth (30th April 2021), Free Thinker (30th April 2021), Gracy May (29th April 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Matthew (29th April 2021), Mike (29th April 2021), onawah (7th June 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021), Wind (30th April 2021)

5. Link to Post #63
    Language
    English
    Thanks

@Dennis Leahy
    Whatever the current criteria they're using to "test" for intelligence these days, I am not that versed in. One of my main gripes was in fact what you said above about the language and math skills. I'd go as far as to say they're testing for synthetic intelligence aka what they THINK is intelligence, which COULD be tested for, but doesn't really count considering it's bogus to begin with. True intelligence cannot be measured. Our minds are too finite for that sort of thing to figure out the proper way to do that - like EVER. Life is a multi-dimensional process after all, and the same goes for intelligence.

A bit off-topic, but I wanted to share a story from long ago when I had to take one of those ink blot tests, for whatever reason whoever it was (can't recall) was asking me to take one of these.

So, okay, I take one of these tests, person shows me an ink blot and asks what I see in it? My response?

Me: Vampire bat.

Person who was evaluating the test results gave me a 'WTF' look at that. I'm just sorry I didn't reciprocate in giving them a 'WTF' look back. Argh. To this day, I still don't know what was so odd about that, as vampires bats DO exist. I just chalk it up to the person being a close-minded moron, and leave it at that.

I still remember this and when I look back on it, I have to either laugh at the idiocy/close-mindedness of the person evaluating said test, or just shake my head at the ridiculousness of how they chose to respond to my answer about what I interpreted the ink blot to look like.

Ask me again, and that 'vampire bat' could easily morph into a fairy nebula, a zombie butterfly, a pig with wings, my paternal grandmother when she's on her zealous high horse talking about religion and whatnot, Bambi having overcome T-Rex and is now in a permanent state of enlightened euphoria, or anything else my [wacky] conscious/subconscious mind deems to come up with, LOL.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Free Thinker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th May 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Mike (1st May 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021)

7. Link to Post #64
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,083 times in 4,830 posts

Quote Posted by Free Thinker (here)
    Still catching up on posts here in this thread, so bear with me please, but wanted to say something real quick.

Isn't any/all belief (including the choice to not believe) vital for human consciousness and awareness overall?

After all, wasn't it Friedrich Nietzsche who quoted more or less that a nihilistic society could not possibly survive, much less even exist in the first place? I'd extend that to a nihilistic universe just as well. Or multiverse, omniverse, sentient/sapient biological genetic blueprint, grand/meta-civilization, or whatever else the case may be.

I would think the nature of 'belief' would have its own light, dark and shadow aspects to it, just like anything else in existence.

See this thread here for more discussion on infinite possibilities and ways of attempting to interpret said infinite possibilities from our extremely limited perspectives.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...Life-Existence

Belief is ok, even vital in some instances - as Nietzsche points out - as it applies to God or perhaps a set of spiritual practices. The problem with the world today is the drastic subjectivist turn it has taken, and the blurring of what is real (objective truth) with what is opinion ("your" truth/belief, or "my" truth/belief), and the assumption that any so called "truth" (subjective) is just as valid as any other truth (objective). It makes for an incoherent, dangerously chaotic world.

There are infinite ways to interpret the world, but only a few that are in any way coherent and productive universally. This is what the humanities used to be for, to help students make those distinctions. Now the humanities are corrupt and poisoned by postmodern ideas and the whole thing has become quite a sh!tstorm
    Last edited by Mike; 1st May 2021 at 02:24.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th May 2021), DeDukshyn (30th April 2021), Ernie Nemeth (30th April 2021), Free Thinker (2nd May 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021), Wind (1st May 2021)

9. Link to Post #65
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The concept of belief can severely limit/hinder one in their spiritual path/life journey, or it could make them soar to undefinable, if not even outright infinite heights of divine euphoria - or anything else in between. It's all a matter of perspective and where one is putting their attention.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Free Thinker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th May 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021)

11. Link to Post #66
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,876 times in 1,126 posts

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Just as a small aside, when I worked briefly in our state capitol's advocacy group for the gifted, we made the points that a higher proportion of students measured as gifted dropped out of school, and also a surprisingly high proportion of prisoners are gifted. The advocacy group was attempting to attain more funding for the gifted, as many programs for the students on the higher end of the normal curve were very low-budget, cut, or non-existent, in comparison to the funding for other special needs programs. Many just did not see the need for any extra funding for the gifted.

The point being, that high IQ's do not necessarily equal societal success. Both extremes of the curve do tend to have problems fitting in with the bulk majority.
    Happened upon this video that is interesting. (16 minutes long)
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Antagenet (5th June 2021), atman (5th June 2021), Bill Ryan (15th May 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Tintin (31st May 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021)

13. Link to Post #67
    United States Avalon Member Edward Mora's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Talking Re: Why humans are unintelligent: it's all about belief

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Nope, it's a demonstrably accurate way of testing for intelligence. It's so blatantly and statistically obvious that it cannot be disputed.
    Well, I assume that was tongue-in-cheek. An IQ test tests how good you are at doing an IQ test. Nothing more. That's the point of this thread!

See also this thread, in which the whole elusive notion of "intelligence" was discussed here a couple of years ago. That also touches on how very unintelligent some people with high IQs are.

Being able to do math puzzles against the clock has absolutely nothing to do with true intelligence, awareness and being a fully-functioning, high-ability human being. Anyone who can't see that may not be very bright.

No I'm deadly serious! An IQ test is a clear indicator of how well you'll perform in the world. It's self evident.
    Well, maybe I'm just not very bright. It's not self-evident to me!

"How well you'll perform in the world..."
    • As a loving parent?
    • An inspiring teacher?
    • A natural empath?
    • A healer? A poet? An artist? A gifted gardener? A great cook? An animal rescuer? A suicide hotline counselor?
    • The kindest friend you ever knew?
    • Someone you'd dearly love to ask to marry you?
    • Someone who would willingly endanger their life to help a colleague in a battle? (Or on a mountain, or at sea?)
    • Someone with a hotline to God, in whatever form that might take in our modern world?
    I know which Avalon members I really admire and would love to have as neighbors. (That list includes yourself, by the way. ) But IQ isn't a qualifier. Being a sensitive, aware, high-spirited, perceptive, kind person definitely is.

Many people with very high IQs are limited, blinkered, self-justifying, self-important jerks. I could easily generate a long list of well-known public figures, and so could you. They're highly able in just one nerdy specialty. (And they may be sociopaths as well.)

And many people who've never excelled academically are the most wonderful, altruistic people you'd ever be lucky enough to meet... the kind of people I'm guessing you'd like to see making decisions about the world.

So true!!! Today I saw some people in a restaurant and some looked like that they had very high IQs by the way they acted I don't know I've had along time being in a metro city, he act so smart and looked, that he's the type that he can bully me, but I don't like to suppose that but that's how I am I love being so aware and act and think fast but not like an high IQ person its just not the same as a intelligent spiritual patient more empathy and a high IQ person would be like whats that's that's wierd your just retarded or something like not connecting sense I know some have sense but its different. but nothing like Bill Ryan said totally wise way much important and more intelligent being your statement it so accurate.....

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Edward Mora For This Post:

Anka (4th June 2021), atman (31st May 2021), Bill Ryan (31st May 2021), gord (4th June 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Tintin (31st May 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021)

15. Link to Post #68
    Thanks
    Thanked 340,117 times in 25,090 posts

Dan Bongino, in this new podcast: (just 35 seconds in, at the very start)
    The most dangerous people in the world are stupid smart people.
    (He's right. )

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (4th June 2021), Anka (4th June 2021), atman (4th June 2021), Blacklight43 (4th June 2021), gord (4th June 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), holcaul (5th June 2021), Mike Gorman (5th June 2021), mountain_jim (5th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (5th June 2021), thepainterdoug (4th June 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021), Wind (5th June 2021), Yoda (4th June 2021)

17. Link to Post #69
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,909 times in 977 posts

If the villainy results from stupidity, then I can say that I have met many who talk about "stupidity" from position as "smart" people (ie some who really feel outside the concept).

I, for example, am not a smart girl, especially when I laugh at "weak" jokes, but the intelligence of my heart cries with others on a large scale.

A little extreme, maybe it would be:
    "" Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. " Albert Einstein
    or: " “A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.” Carlo M. Cipolla

A Romanian writer says "Smart people reach levels of stupidity, according to their intelligence".

Stupidity, as a "current" condition and close to "habit" for efficient and predictable masses as manifestation and actions as such, is somehow, (almost pathetically or slightly parallel paranoid said), a "clinical" syndrome, a kind of unseen and wise resignation by default, for the opposite side, to accept it as it is.

If we talk about the "chromatic energy of stupidity", there (here) is the expression "stupid as night" which refers to the darkness of personal and individual aura that translates a kind of energetic poverty which for the sake of expression may mean a kind of laziness or incompleteness, a kind of insufficiency or a handicap chosen "from the clarity of faith or intelligence"; a kind of non-strong instability or "obtuse angle", one ( or many) deficit of judgment, in the spectrum of zero patience, or a kind of emptiness filled by the ego's arsenal of instincts (a fragility - consciously helpless - contagious), or "the number one job" followed by "existence"(but not life).
    / anyway (interpretative as it is, it is a major subject);

Academic stupidity, around my area, is a kind of perplexity (I call it candor), or with the greatest indulgence, I call it "innocence", (just as fools usually keep their mouths open when they don't understand), the "lollipop of intelligence challenges" them but their ego makes them swallow it and drown in it. Usually most are drowned in their own air of arrogance (an almost physical illness, from my remarks...not final).

Quite simply, as the system grows in its entire chain of weaknesses, referring to the "educational" one's used acutely, I see .. and i see..."the death of education going on the streets" in the free change of load of "cultures and "concepts,
    anyway, as a tragic-ironic form, an old friend said:
    "The fool is a person who knows. I mean he knows and he IS sure. He has no doubts, and if we are careful, he also has explanations, and if we do not understand we are categorized as 'stupid,' so it is assumed that we should to agree with something we never fully know, which in nature is also "stupid."

I'm sorry for the lack of "solemnity", but usually those "who have solutions" are the ones who suffer the most, (in both cases). At least, I think we all have an insufficiency at some point, without taking frustration into account, it can be a model of "praise" if we take it easy and learn from it.

Stubbornness and ardor of opinion, is the surest whip for those who do not want to be contradicted; and especially in these times, there is really no time to judge others.

"It's false to think we know something..."usually, if we have the attitude: "Okay. I take your word for it and I don't argue, but don't imagine, that you or I, really know anything", we are categorized as ignorant, so it's not good in any way.

I met people so confident and convinced of themselves, in such a way that they had a kind of constant disturbing happiness (which I was not envious of) from which it was obligatory to show "that they are right with a just and high judgment." on the other hand, they are always reducible to something simple schematic and you can intuit their movements very easily (they usually have fixed ideas, a standardized, repeatable speech, so cliché like "I love you I love you too" without any essence )

I'm sorry, but, maybe, standardizing speech as a beginning of control and stupidity, it's become a kind of talent to say on social media (at extremely low levels and only occasionally, to be generous): "I'm Tarzan and I have a basket, you are Jane and you have four apples: (How long will it take us to "get married" to save the world?), and i know this is "ego" right here...

Sometimes, it's hard for me to see this "handmade Inflation in especially pink way" elaborated for the denigration of the real and living soul potential- human communication; this militant "teleguiding" on the whole world of idealization, treating the human being as an entity in convalescence with acute tolerance it must stop, but it will not.

Maybe many vices can be corrected, just so that we are no longer easily "confiscated" by the system, especially since the "problem of stupidity in the world" may be related to the "problem of evil" and many "serve the daily menu" of their choice.
    But what do I know?
    I know for sure that any mistake can be corrected, as long as education, common sense, good will and especially unconditional love have not been destroyed.

If ignorance can be remedied, stupidity can easily be "institutionalized", if there will be no drop of love for human beings and life on earth.
    In any "manual, of common sense" (as many say that if there were a little more common sense, the world would be better),
    to the rubric: "Check your knowledge" is heard quoting loudly: "Please make your profession the love for my life, I am alive"

In general, many "philosophers" with many universities in my area, like to fool around, which is ok up to a degree of childhood but not rudeness.
    and sometimes I leave them at their "hot chestnut" stall, just to sell themselves "donuts."
    Is it encouraging to say that "a room that contains a bed is automatically bigger than the bed" without damaging our interlocutors' opinions?

When I open textbooks to my grandchildren to help them with homework, I always panic because I see the government's curriculum platform, and generalized "madness or stupidity" induced (and I have examples), it is a "struggle" to be able to combine the education offered by the system with the human nature, in a way that will change a single gram, someday...the society.
    I end here, as a simple man, maybe really, all of us, though,
    “We are consciousness incarnated in stardust ...” Graham Hancock
    ...and maybe, all helping each other, is or will be more in time, a sign of proper intelligence.

Socrates: "I know that I know nothing".

I'm just saying ...
    Every human is a question asked to the Spirit of the Universe,again and again,because every human is an endless row of humans and in all humans together dwelling the Great Human Spirit.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

atman (5th June 2021), Bill Ryan (5th June 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Mike Gorman (5th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (5th June 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021), Wind (5th June 2021)

19. Link to Post #70
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,762 times in 265 posts

This is a serious thread. For years I've pondered why (e.g.) someone with a PhD and a measured IQ of 180 might be just really dumb and unaware outside of their specialist field. We see this ALL the time.

It's not about EQ (Emotional Intelligence) or SQ (Spiritual Intelligence). I think it's about the predominant vulnerability of almost all humans, whatever their IQ, EQ, SQ, age, culture, or level of education, to be victims of belief.

And there may be two components to that:
    1. The susceptibility to being initially influenced to form a belief.
    2. The resistance to letting go of it once it's entrenched.
    A high intellect can paradoxically be a handicap, as extremely clever people are often very skilled at self-justifying whatever beliefs they have. A smart and articulate person will defend their beliefs strongly, self-reinforcing all the time.

I'd be most interested in other members' views (and experiences!) about this.
    Those whom I have know with IQ over 170 have ALL been not the least bit “dumb” in terms of understanding. Yes their capacity for other traits such as courage, empathy, sensitivity, varied quite a bit, but their grasp of understanding whatever was presented to them was astounding.
    I noticed that they were also VERY quick to catch on, and tended to not overcomplicate things at all. They all preferred asking questions and researching to having to be right, which is actually a very boring endeavor for the very gifted. They were all rather hermetic and very choosy in who they spent time with.

I propose that the stereotypes we hear about the brilliant are mostly bull****. Those who acquire celebrity are probably on the selfish narcissist side so they are no use in studying what being Really bright is really all about. Even studies about very very creative people can skew the understanding of what the majority of genius level intelligent people who mostly are NOT very creative are really like.
    Also, how many of the researchers had/have genius level intelligence? How can the less intelligent study the brainy ones anyway? :-)

Ok so my point is, when these 170+ people I knew were presented with ideas, facts, beliefs, etc, they were all more adept at conversing about the topics than ANYONE with IQs at a lower level, including myself. That’s why I liked being around them so much, and got so spoiled and bored with people at my own level and lower.

If this world was populated by ONLY people with this IQ range. THIS would be the beginning of a chance at utopia. At least they would have the mental capacity to identify and implement solutions. The world’s IQ level plunging is in my opinion the most deleterious problem of all, even worse than psychopaths being in charge. Of course this is probably what the psychopaths want, to exterminate the very brilliant. If the very gifted were encouraged to be courageous, loving, emotionally and spiritually mature… that would be the best solution to all our problems.

I suspect that the IQ levels of between 120 - 170 are what people think of when they talk about gifted people. HA. This level, from what I have seen is the group who have terrible ego problems of needing to be right, of needing to feel important, who know they are not really at the mental top and perhaps want to be, and are rarely satisfied. They are often verbose, overcomplicating things, love jargon, convinced of their meager levels of superiority and condescending and most of all boring to be around.

They are much more apt fo be stuck in a set of beliefs, because many don’t have the capacity to see alternative beliefs, they just don’t have the imagination. ALL the brightest people I knew did. (Even if they didn’t want to change) The only real debility of the super geniuses is that they might not be challenged enough with new ideas, because maybe they only know a few people at their level. From what I could see, they were all pretty starved to converse with equals.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

atman (5th June 2021), Bill Ryan (5th June 2021), Harmony (5th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (5th June 2021), Victoria (5th June 2021), Wind (5th June 2021)

21. Link to Post #71
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 70,083 times in 13,546 posts

I wonder what those who develop IQ tests would make of what they call they call in India "Masts" or the "God Mad".
    See: https://mehernagar.wordpress.com/meh...-god-mad-feel/
    They are reported to be spiritual devotees who live in states of bliss, though outwardly they appear to be quite mad and dysfunctional in worldly terms.
    ...Although they can transcend that madness and become fully functioning, enlightened beings.
    I think Amritanandamayi, who grew up uneducated and poverty stricken in a very poor, small village in India, may be one of the latter.
    https://amma.org/about/how-she-began
    In her youth she would sink into states of bliss and become unconscious of the outer world, leading the people in her village to think she had lost her wits.
    But she is accepted widely now as a modern day saint, probably being recognized as close to the status of "Avatar" as a woman can get in these patriarchal times.
    I sat in her lap once, as millions have done, and told her about my terrible flash-back LSD nightmares.
    She gave me a stick of sandalwood and told me to wet it, rub it vigorously to make a paste, and apply the paste to my forehead before bed.
    I did, and it worked--I never had another LSD nightmare again.
    Another time, I sat in the audience at a darshan while she went into trance and "became" Shiva (or perhaps it was Krishna--I don't remember now), and did an amazing sword dance on stage.
    On the same day, she alternated and "became" the Divine Mother, and sat cross-legged in absolute stillness and peace, radiating love and benevolence.
    This short, dumpy, very unathletic, homely Indian woman in her very restricting sari leaped and cavorted bare-footed around the stage brandishing two very sharp swords, roaring with laughter and singing at the top of her lungs, is a sight I will never forget.
    She went on dancing and cavorting far longer than I ever expected she would be able to physically but was none the worse for wear at all.
    Her energy and stamina were amazing.
    There is a type of intelligence, perhaps it is wisdom of the heart, that IQ tests cannot measure.
    Many "Masters", such as Gurdjieff, have taught that the best way for humans to evolve is to stay in balance, to keep the mind, the heart, the physical, and the higher centers balanced.
    Thus each center informs the other, so if one goes out of balance, the other centers are able to recognize, inform, and help to correct it.

When I was in junior high, I was placed in the classes of students who had the highest IQs.
    There were 5 very brainy, nerdy types in these classes.
    They kept to themselves, seemed very stiff and serious, seldom spoke to anyone but each other and to the teachers.
    They obviously got a lot of satisfaction out of mastering various difficult subjects that were more challenging for the rest of us, but I don't think that really made up for what they lacked in other areas of their lives.
    The other 30 or so students in these classes were much more sociable, relaxed, compassionate and "well-adjusted".
    I used to envy the nerds for their intellectual prowess, but I never would have traded my own skill sets, which had to do with intuition, emotional intelligence, empathy, etc., for theirs.
    No doubt they went on to have very successful careers, but I think the 30 odd other students were probably more likely to have grown and developed in a much more balanced way, and may have been much better human beings in the long run.
    When I look at what modern day scientists have wrought for the rest of humanity with their "genius" IQs, I shudder at the tragic destiny they are trying to lead mankind toward.
    Last edited by onawah; 8th June 2021 at 05:50.
    Each breath a gift...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4