+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

1. Link to Post #141
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Default Re: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

Been a while since I posted here, but here's what I'm reading at the moment:

Those 2 books are very short, they take about an hour to read a piece. Extremely fun read though if you're interested in Africa and want quick cursory information to point you into a better direction.

And this next one I've already read, but I am re-reading it to refresh my knowledge. It's an important book, especially for Americans.
    Last edited by Strat; 21st January 2021 at 22:46.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

avatar (19th October 2021), Bill Ryan (23rd January 2021), Forest Denizen (21st January 2021), Franny (22nd January 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), Icare (29th December 2021), Kryztian (16th October 2021), palehorse (22nd January 2021), Pam (10th April 2023), Rosemarie (18th October 2021), Sue (Ayt) (21st January 2021), wondering (16th March 2021)

3. Link to Post #142
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,200 times in 436 posts

Default Re: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

This book offers a unique approach to explore the mind using imagination processes.
    I actually was just visiting the author of this book over the past month.
    As we have extended lock-down here in Germany, I have plenty of time to go read it.
    Attached Images  
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd January 2021), Forest Denizen (23rd January 2021), Franny (22nd January 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), palehorse (22nd January 2021), Pam (10th April 2023), Rosemarie (18th October 2021), Strat (22nd January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (22nd January 2021), wondering (16th March 2021)

5. Link to Post #143
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,373 times in 1,568 posts

I am reading everything about Cob Houses for a week now and also compost toilets (not the best reading I know).. no specific books just materials from diverse authors and some interesting off-grid blogs.

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    And this next one I've already read, but I am re-reading it to refresh my knowledge. It's an important book, especially for Americans.
    It is a great book, I did read it and I am not American, it is indeed an important knowledge
    Last edited by palehorse; 22nd January 2021 at 18:21.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Anka (22nd January 2021), Bill Ryan (23rd January 2021), Constance (23rd January 2021), Forest Denizen (23rd January 2021), Franny (28th January 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), Kryztian (16th March 2021), Pam (10th April 2023), Strat (22nd January 2021), Sue (Ayt) (22nd January 2021), wondering (16th March 2021)

7. Link to Post #144
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,639 times in 506 posts

Course in medieval astrology by Robert Zoller

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Catsquotl For This Post:

Anka (22nd January 2021), Bill Ryan (23rd January 2021), Forest Denizen (23rd January 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (22nd January 2021), Pam (10th April 2023), Sue (Ayt) (22nd January 2021)

9. Link to Post #145
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,881 times in 612 posts

A book called "Foraging Texas"

Chinese language textbook

A bunch of engineering papers......
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd January 2021), Forest Denizen (23rd January 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), I am B (16th October 2021), palehorse (23rd January 2021), Pam (10th April 2023), Rosemarie (18th October 2021), Sue (Ayt) (22nd January 2021)

11. Link to Post #146
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,973 times in 20,621 posts

I recently read the Pulitzer Prize winning novel (in 2014) "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt
    Review here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goldfinch_(novel)
    ...and then watched the movie, which is quite good, though it was a difficult fit, as the novel is very long.

The most lasting impression for me is the real life painting of the captive goldfinch, which has affected me like no other painting ever has, and I never thought could.
    It makes me feel unbearably sad, and I really can't look at it for more than a few seconds without grief welling up in my heart.
    There is so much expression in its eyes!
    The actual story of the painting itself is fascinating, and the way it is woven into the book is very well done.
    I'm glad this exquisite little painting, whose creator was so very before his time, is getting so much attention now.
    I just wish that poor little bird could fly away!

Nick Hornby's latest novel "Just Like You". See review :
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...nce-and-brexit
    Hornby is one of my favorite novelists. His books always touch my heart.
    I think "About a Boy" and "High Fidelity" are my favorites.
    Last edited by onawah; 31st January 2021 at 00:19.
    Each breath a gift...

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th May 2021), Franny (28th January 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), Kryztian (16th March 2021), Michel Leclerc (16th October 2021), palehorse (16th October 2021), Pam (30th December 2021), rgray222 (28th January 2021), Rosemarie (18th October 2021), Sue (Ayt) (29th January 2021)

13. Link to Post #147
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Haven't posted in here in a bit, here's what I'm on at the moment:

Extremely well written. Kind of horrible to read but it's very important to know this information, the way we live our lives perpetuate atrocities. This book really demonstrates that. I will find a way to live life differently.

Fascinating topic that I admittedly know little about. I think it's something we should all educate ourselves on. I will avoid the dumb clean eating/dirty genes joke. Thank god for the library.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th May 2021), Constance (16th March 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), Hym (16th March 2021), Kryztian (16th March 2021), palehorse (16th October 2021), Pam (30th December 2021), Rosemarie (18th October 2021)

15. Link to Post #148
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,208 times in 5,679 posts

Currently reading "Man's Search For Meaning" by Victor Frankl.

All about the Nazi concentration camps and the therapy and philosophy Frankl developed as a result of experiencing and surviving them: Logos Therapy

This should be required reading in every high school, as far as I'm concerned.

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th May 2021), Constance (16th March 2021), edina (17th November 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (16th March 2021), Kryztian (16th March 2021), Michel Leclerc (16th October 2021), palehorse (16th October 2021), Pam (30th December 2021), Rosemarie (18th October 2021), Sue (Ayt) (16th March 2021)

17. Link to Post #149
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 times in 531 posts

Mike, Viktor Frankl is a very good source indeed! Also his other books are worth reading.

A little story about Logotherapy. About five years ago I was in Vienna (Austria) with a friend. I was very much into logotherapy at the time. I did and still do consider it one of the best kinds of psychotherapy. I even thought about getting a certification for a while. The main center for Logotherapy is in Vienna. So, we decided to pay a visit there.

On a weekend, we went to the house where the Viktor Frankl Institute (for Logotherapy) was (and still is), in the Prinz-Eugenstrasse in the center of Vienna. We found it, it was a nice big house, but the center was on a higher floor and just one apartment it seemed.

We knocked. No answer. Well, it wàs on a weekend of course, so nobody there. Sudeenly the door just next to where we knocked opened up. A nice old lady greeted us. It "just happened" to be Viktor Frankl's widow, in her nineties then.

She said: "I have visitors from Brasil, but if you want you can come in and I will show you where my husband and I lived. We got a tour of the house and a lot of history.

But what stayed most with me is this, what she said in the end: "I am so sorry that logotherapy doesn't get more applied in the world of psychologists. But that is because most people that are treated by a logotherapist are healed after a few sessions. So, there is not a lot of money in it for the professional field and few use it."

After having read quite a bit about logotherapy, I believe she was correct. Sadly, she died a few years ago.
    Last edited by Johan (Keyholder); 16th March 2021 at 08:53.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th May 2021), Harmony (16th March 2021), Kryztian (12th May 2021), Michel Leclerc (16th October 2021), Mike (16th March 2021), palehorse (16th October 2021), Pam (10th April 2023), Rosemarie (18th October 2021), Sue (Ayt) (16th March 2021), wondering (16th March 2021)

19. Link to Post #150
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 830 posts

This morning I finished reading a book I had read before and enjoyed, so I thought I'd read it again and then pass it on to someone else.
    Little did I realize how much more of the content I understood this second time.

The book is by a Siberian author, a trained doctor of psychiatry, called

Olga Kharitidi: Entering the Circle.

It is an autobiographical account of her spiritual adventure in snowy Siberia. Joining an ailing friend on a spontaneous trip to the Altai Mountains in order to find help, Dr. Kharitidi is taken into apprenticeship by a native Shaman who guides her through bizarre, magical, and often terrifying experiences that open her eyes to deeper learning. A mystical place called Belowodje (which sounds like Shangri-La) is mentioned repeatedly and she ends up becoming more and more enthralled by the whole process and by that place.

I liked it the first time round but this time I just didn't want the book to end, I wanted to know how the story of her life goes on and whether or not she has actually managed to find the place.

I also liked the fact that she was able to make practical use of some of the knowledge she gathered in the Altai area. She now has a new understanding of her job of a psychiatrist and can help people more effectively.

She now knows the reasons why people are schizophrenic; there are two, as she learnt, one being that people have lost or sold their souls, the other being that people are possessed by a demonic entity.

And that second reason correlates with something I heard on a podcast recently which was about that very subject. Retired psychotherapist Jerry Marzinsky says exactly the same. He also says he wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen in in so many of his patients in prison and claims he was even able to communicate with some of those demons.
    I have always known that evil exists, but I used to refuse to personalize it it any way. I now believe demons are real and they do try to interfere with people.
    Now that two people who sound very credible to me say the same thing, it makes more and more sense to me.

I'm currently thinking of buying another one of Olga Kharditi's books, this one was her very first.
    Last edited by Icare; 12th May 2021 at 01:58.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Icare For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th May 2021), palehorse (16th October 2021), Pam (30th December 2021), Peace in Oz (13th May 2021), Ravenlocke (30th December 2021), Rosemarie (18th October 2021), Vicus (16th October 2021)

21. Link to Post #151
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,929 times in 1,622 posts

I'm reading: The Exegesis of Philip K Dick

for starters : Philip K Dick was a science fiction writer Giant...

on his books are based many fantastic films...

Der Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, The Man in the High Castle, Screamers,

Next, A Scanner Darkly, Paycheck, Radio Free Albemuth, The Adjustment Bureau ,etc.

his 2 principal themes: what is reality? and what is to be human? ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick

After a fantastic event in his life he took notices, letters which are the bulk of this book.

this book (944 pages!) is just 1/10 of his notices! sampling from his children, editor, etc.

for a taste of it:

The Ten Major Principles of the Gnostic Revelation
    From Exegesis, by Philip K. Dick

The Gnostic Christians of the second century believed that only a special revelation of knowledge rather than faith could save a person. The contents of this revelation could not be received empirically or derived a priori. They considered this special gnosis so valuable that it must be kept secret. Here are the ten major principles of the gnostic revelation:

1. The creator of this world is demented.

2. The world is not as it appears, in order to hide the evil in it, a delusive veil obscuring it and the deranged deity.

3. There is another, better realm of God, and all our efforts are to be directed toward
    a. returning there
    b. bringing it here

4. Our actual lives stretch thousands of years back, and we can be made to remember our origin in the stars.

5. Each of us has a divine counterpart unfallen who can reach a hand down to us to awaken us. This other personality is the authentic waking self; the one we have now is asleep and minor. We are in fact asleep, and in the hands of a dangerous magician disguised as a good god, the deranged creator deity. The bleakness, the evil and pain in this world, the fact that it is a deterministic prison controlled by the demented creator causes us willingly to split with the reality principle early in life, and so to speak willingly fall asleep in delusion.

6. You can pass from the delusional prison world into the peaceful kingdom if the True Good God places you under His grace and allows you to see reality through His eyes.

7. Christ gave, rather than received, revelation; he taught his followers how to enter the kingdom while still alive, where other mystery religions only bring about amnesis: knowledge of it at the "other time" in "the other realm," not here. He causes it to come here, and is the living agency to the Sole Good God (i.e. the Logos).

8. Probably the real, secret Christian church still exists, long underground, with the living Corpus Christi as its head or ruler, the members absorbed into it. Through participation in it they probably have vast, seemingly magical powers.

9. The division into "two times" (good and evil) and "two realms" (good and evil) will abruptly end with victory for the good time here, as the presently invisible kingdom separates and becomes visible. We cannot know the date.

10. During this time period we are on the sifting bridge being judged according to which power we give allegiance to, the deranged creator demiurge of this world or the One Good God and his kingdom, whom we know through Christ.

To know these ten principles of Gnostic Christianity is to court disaster.

(now he tells us?)
    Last edited by Vicus; 3rd January 2022 at 10:39.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Ankle Biter (22nd October 2021), Bill Ryan (16th October 2021), Carlitos (18th May 2023), Icare (29th December 2021), Jambo (10th May 2023), James Newell (16th October 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (18th May 2023), Kryztian (17th October 2021), onawah (16th July 2022), Pam (30th December 2021), Rosemarie (18th October 2021)

23. Link to Post #152
    United States Avalon Member James Newell's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 times in 340 posts

I can agree with many of these Gnostic tenets. I can also agree you can find out about the delusion you have been living under and become Free.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to James Newell For This Post:

7alon (10th June 2022), Ankle Biter (22nd October 2021), Bill Ryan (16th October 2021), Icare (29th December 2021), Kryztian (17th October 2021), Pam (30th December 2021), Rosemarie (18th October 2021), Vicus (17th October 2021)

25. Link to Post #153
    Belgium Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch, French
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,085 times in 735 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I recently read the Pulitzer Prize winning novel (in 2014) "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt
    Review here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goldfinch_(novel)
    ...and then watched the movie, which is quite good, though it was a difficult fit, as the novel is very long.

The most lasting impression for me is the real life painting of the captive goldfinch, which has affected me like no other painting ever has, and I never thought could.
    It makes me feel unbearably sad, and I really can't look at it for more than a few seconds without grief welling up in my heart.
    There is so much expression in its eyes!
    The actual story of the painting itself is fascinating, and the way it is woven into the book is very well done.
    I'm glad this exquisite little painting, whose creator was so very before his time, is getting so much attention now.
    I just wish that poor little bird could fly away!

Nick Hornby's latest novel "Just Like You". See review :
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...nce-and-brexit
    Hornby is one of my favorite novelists. His books always touch my heart.
    I think "About a Boy" and "High Fidelity" are my favorites.
    Thank you Onawah. The emotional precision of those 17-th century “Netherlandic” masters... Music (classical) brings me to tears once or twice a year, but a painting did only once, in my twenties..: I stood eye-to-eye with one of Rembrandt's self-portraits in which the already ailing man has tears in his eyes. I remember standing there, sobbing. Carel Fabritius was one of his students, as you probably know. On Wikipedia you will find an extraordinary self-portrait – what an intensely beaming presence! It is as good as Rembrandt’s best.. Reading the page, I have just discovered that he died in a freak accident, when a munitions depot exploded in Delft. Very few of his works have been preserved. At least two ;-) are extraordinary. He painted the gold-finch in 1654; he died that very same year, on the 12th of October.
    This is a good reproduction of the self-portrait I referred to:

https://painting-planet.com/self-por...rel-fabricius/
    Last edited by Michel Leclerc; 16th October 2021 at 22:48.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michel Leclerc For This Post:

avatar (19th October 2021), Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Icare (29th December 2021), onawah (16th October 2021), Pam (30th December 2021), Rosemarie (18th October 2021)

27. Link to Post #154
    Language
    German
    Thanks

I have just finished reading Dan Brown's "Inferno" because I quite liked the "Da Vinci Code" and thought it might be an interesting read.

It was written in 2013 and is about a virus having been created by an extremely wealthy scientist in order to control population growth.
    Robert Landon, known from The "Da Vinci Code" as well, is asked by the WHO to help find the place where a scientist has hidden it in order to set it loose on the world. When he actually finds the place it turns out the virus has already been set loose and has infected the population of the whole world already. It turns out it's a DNA altering virus that makes about 1/3 of the population sterile in order to control population growth.

I found the book quite annoying in some respects as it reads like an advertisement for the WHO (an organization with great leadership and integrity (and far too much power) in this book) and Bill Gates (such a humanitarian) and even though the scientist who lets the virus lose on the world is called crazy and condemned by the hero of the story, there are numerous arguments mentioned by the highly intelligent woman he teams up with who first appears to be on his side, then later turns out to have been the mad scientist's girlfriend, which actually make the whole thing sound like an advertisement for population control. The female head of the WHO condems the mad scientist but really has no counter-arguments against the case the scientist makes.
    In the end it's like what the super intelligent scientist did wasn't so bad after all.

There are quite a few plot twists in the story which make it an interesting read, there is a lot of well-researched information about Florence, Venice and other places which is also quite interesting, but the message hidden in this novel is rather ambiguous or even more pro depopulation.

To me, it sounds like Dan Brown is a spokesman for TPTB. It also sounds like he already knew what was going to happen in the not too distant future.
    I wish I hadn't read it.
    Last edited by Icare; 22nd December 2021 at 00:24.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Icare For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Mike (21st December 2021), onawah (31st December 2021), Pam (30th December 2021)

29. Link to Post #155
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,674 times in 9,332 posts

The books I’ve been drawn to read lately are:
    The Power of Prayer
    A Book Of Christmas Miracles 101 stories of Holiday hope and Happiness
    Soul Wisdom Practical Soul treasures to transform your life
    Where Miracles Happen
    Where Angels Walk
    They are easy, uplifting, nostalgic, consoling and hopeful.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Carlitos (18th May 2023), Icare (29th December 2021), Nenuphar (21st December 2021), onawah (31st December 2021), Pam (30th December 2021)

31. Link to Post #156
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 times in 199 posts

DIY Autoflowering Cannabis, by Jeff Lowenfels. I have read that those much more experienced in the use and growing of cannabis refer to this book jokingly (but affectionately) as the book you'd give your aunt or grandmother to read. You know, a semi-reserved person who loves to grow tomatoes but has never gone near a recreational drug in their life.

So it's perfect for me.

I still have little desire to use it recreationally, but as health problems rear their ugly heads, I find myself researching alternatives. Mainstream medicine and the prescriptions that come with it have not always been helpful.
    Last edited by Nenuphar; 22nd December 2021 at 14:20.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nenuphar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Icare (29th December 2021), onawah (31st December 2021), Pam (30th December 2021)

33. Link to Post #157
    Language
    German
    Thanks

I am currently reading and am in the process of finishing a book that was mentioned by C0rv0 here on Avalon and can be found our library:

Salvador Freixedo: Let us defend against the gods from 1985, but very topical right now

It is apparently a google translation from the original Spanish book and as such it contains quite a few errors, nevertheless it is a fascinating book.

Freixedo first explains who or what the gods are : beings on a different vibrational level to us who are much more powerful than us, who may well have inhabited the earth long before us, who can willingly change their vibrations at times in order to make contact with us and who can travel in space as is claimed in many cultures and creeds including christianity, with us being their creations.

He mentions numerous parallels in different cultures and religions that I have never seen mentioned anywhere else before but which make sense.

Having a Christian background himself he claims that the god of the old testament, Yahweh, is very much like other gods of ancient times (liken Baal etc), proving this statemenet with examples of Yahweh's demands from his people.

As I have a Christian background as well, even went to a Christian school, I found it astonishing how many stories of the Bible were left out in the religious teaching I received.
    And it is not surprising at all that children don't get to hear those stories at school and adults don't bother reading those parts of the Bible.

The most telling stories Freixedo retells are about the way God's chosen people were asked to sacrifice animals to him (sometimes humans, too). Yahweh wanted his people to kill the animals in a specific way, wanted their blood spilt all around the altar, asked for the viscera to be distributed in a certain way and for the rest of the body to be burned.

Freixedo then explains why the gods wanted it that way and makes it perfectly plain that that is the way they can feed on our energy best. Apparently our fresh blood is what they enjoy best as it "very easily and naturally releases this type of energy (which is ultimately nothing more than electromagnetic waves) that so pleases the gods. To obtain similar energies from a living body, the gods have to kill it violently and then burn it, while the blood, when it flows freely, already separated from the body, releases this energy in a completely
    spontaneous way." (p.86)

It is not that they specifically need us as food but they enjoy having the energies coming from this just like we enjoy coffee or tobacco, for example.

What the gods seek:
    1. They look first for the waves produced by an excited humanbrain; (mostly tormented).
    2. They look for the “waves of life”, that is, the energy that aliving body gives off when it dies violently.
    3. They look for the waves that each and every one of the cells give off, which are still alive for a long time after the man or animal has already died.
    4. They look for the spilled blood, because when it is outside the body, it very easily releases an energy that they want.

A man who is to be sacrificed to a god provides all of what they look for: terror and despair provide aspect 1
    what they seek. violent death provides aspect 2
    the cremation of the body provides aspect 3
    and a river of blood (4) is the natural fruit of these sacred bestialities with which men have been deceived for
    millennia as children ...
    (cf. p. 93)

There are probably more things that they seek and achieve in their visits to our dimension, which go unnoticed by us, and which we probably would not understand even if they explained them to us

The gods' enjoyment of these particular vibrations emanating from fear, pain, cruelty, anger, also feelings of extasy and blood is the reason why throughout human history there has been mayhem and bloodshed in various forms, like war (e.g. Yahweh led his people into numerous wars and had thousands of animal and quite a few people sacrificed to him), religious persecution leading to torture, and later, in more civilized times, blood sports, athletic competitions between clubs and countries and team sports with large crowds displaying vast amounts of energy within that particular vibrational field.

The author draws a parallel between how we treat our animals and how the gods treat us which again makes total sense to me as he mentions several convincing examples. Essentially Earth is a farm with us being just a step above the animal kingdom in the food chain.

To me that is a sobering thought, but one which makes total sense when looking at the big picture.

Freixedo believes that contacts with the gods is harmful to people, part of the reason for that is that they can easily overpower and manipulate us with their vibrations.
    He says they use us and are not primarily interested in our feelings, our judgements or our reactions to their way of acting with us.

"In their dealings with us, their interest is always (...) that which prevails; if something suits them and helps us, they will do it; and if something suits them and hurts us, they will do it
    in the same way.
    All of human history has been subtly guided by them, so that we would do what was convenient for them." (p. 139).

The human race has repeatedly seen its ascension to higher levels of consciousness frustrated due to the intervention of the gods who make sure that man does not mature
    and continues to serve them. They have used tricks and false guidelines, like wars, traditions, religions and dogmata, thus strangling the human spirit for millenia (cf. p. 139).

Freixedo the mentions the pros and cons of religions, making it abundantly clear where the pros end, ultimately making it impossible for us to progress. He also mentions the fact that we developed much faster once the total power of the church over the people was broken.

Here's how he thinks we can defend ourselves against the gods:

1. We must not try to enter their terrain. And everybody who tries to “transcend” in this life enters their field. "In a certain way it is dangerous to physically approach some preachers,
    “founders,” enlightened and mystics. (...) (p. 152)

2. Never give your mind to anyone. The mind must always be free and available at the service of the human being to tell him what the circumstances are at that moment and what to do.

3. Do not invoke anyone. Don't call anyone to worship him. Do not bow down to any god-person or to any god-thing to worship him or to celebrate rites for him. You could too easily end
    up calling upon one of those gods. Someone who invokes is exposed to "being parasitised" (p. 157) (as is someone who allows another to hypnotize him, don't do it).
    The true God of the Universe, the Supreme Intelligence, totally unknowable in its entirety by the human mind, does not go around demanding, like a jealous lover, that his creatures
    constantly worship him, or show him love.
    The best worship that we can actually render to God is the right use of the creatures of nature. Show respect for life.

4. Don't offer them your pain. Do not offer to suffer. Refuse pain for pain's sake and never seek it. Rebel against sacred masochism, which as a sacrament has been enthroned in the Ch
    Christian Church for centuries.
    God does not want human pain;the gods do want it because to some degree they benefit from it.

5. Get rid of dogmas and rites. Put aside the traditional beliefs that have to do with the afterlife and with the way of conceiving this life.

6. Detraumatize. Free the soul from all the fears and all the anguish and all the deformations that erroneous Christian beliefs (and ultimately, the gods) have instilled in us over the
    centuries and throughout our lives. Our minds are sick. Just as the psyche of many people is deeply affected by some strong trauma or fright that they received in their childhood, the
    psyche and the ability to think dispassionately, are deeply affected in the entire human race.

7. After having taken steps 5 and 6, institute a new order of values. Organize new priorities in life, according not to the wishes of any god, but to the needs of mankind.
    The only thing that is sacred on Earth is life itself and its correct evolution.
    These new dogmas will also be much more generic and, above all, more respectful of the Divine, without going into defining or analyzing it, and recognizing that our brain is totally
    incapable of encompassing an Intelligence and an Energy that have been able to make all that infinity roll.
    the Cosmic God, the God-Universe, has nothing to do with the idol of Christianity. The God-Energy does not have anger, nor is he impatient, much less has eternal punishments for
    this wonderful speck of dust called man (all this from p. 164).

8. WE HAVE TO RADICALLY CHANGE OUR IDEA OF GOD.
    Look to you! You are a true child of GOD! Not for redemptions or for salvations that no one has given you, but because of your very nature that participates in divinity and that you
    have to make evolve through the good use of your intelligence and your longlife; but apart from the heart ”. (p.169)

We are slowly awakening, let's evolve rationally and without fear (cf. p. 173). We have to evolve intellectually, morally and aesthetically (p. 174).

I would recommend this to just about everybody and if you disagree with what I wrote about it here or want a deeper explanation, feel free to look this up in the book , that's why I used quotes and the exact sources, all the points the author makes are explained in detail, there is just too much in there to put it all in one post.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Icare For This Post:

onawah (31st December 2021), Pam (30th December 2021), Ravenlocke (30th December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (30th December 2021)

35. Link to Post #158
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,973 times in 20,621 posts

I greatly enjoyed the STARZ "Outlander" series, based on the novels by Diana Gabaldon, so much so that I decided to tackle the books, which are VERY long, so I've been reading myself to sleep with them for months now.
    I'm on book 6 now, "A Breath of Snow and Ashes", and the storyline continues to engross me because the characters are so well fleshed-out, and there is so much authentic, well-researched detail.
    But there is a new twist in the narrative for me now; because I have become convinced that Earth is due for a disaster of epic proportions within the next 20-25 years, a magnetic pole reversal.
    So now I am imagining what it would be like to be in a similar position to some of the main characters in the story, who are time travelers, traversing from the 1960s back to the time of the colonization of America.
    I don't think all technology will be lost in our near post-apocalyptic future, but since survivors may not have the means to reproduce surviving technology, eventually reverting to much earlier means of survival will probably be necessary.
    I wonder if there are any novels about the survivors of the Fall of Atlantis....particularly any written by survivors writing from past life memories...
    That could be very interesting, even instructive....
    Each breath a gift...

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (30th December 2021), Delight (30th December 2021), Icare (15th January 2022), Pam (30th December 2021)

37. Link to Post #159
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

Quote Posted by Icare (here)
    I am currently reading and am in the process of finishing a book that was mentioned by C0rv0 here on Avalon and can be found our library:

Salvador Freixedo: Let us defend against the gods from 1985, but very topical right now

It is apparently a google translation from the original Spanish book and as such it contains quite a few errors, nevertheless it is a fascinating book.

Freixedo first explains who or what the gods are : beings on a different vibrational level to us who are much more powerful than us, who may well have inhabited the earth long before us, who can willingly change their vibrations at times in order to make contact with us and who can travel in space as is claimed in many cultures and creeds including christianity, with us being their creations.

He mentions numerous parallels in different cultures and religions that I have never seen mentioned anywhere else before but which make sense.

Having a Christian background himself he claims that the god of the old testament, Yahweh, is very much like other gods of ancient times (liken Baal etc), proving this statemenet with examples of Yahweh's demands from his people.

As I have a Christian background as well, even went to a Christian school, I found it astonishing how many stories of the Bible were left out in the religious teaching I received.
    And it is not surprising at all that children don't get to hear those stories at school and adults don't bother reading those parts of the Bible.

The most telling stories Freixedo retells are about the way God's chosen people were asked to sacrifice animals to him (sometimes humans, too). Yahweh wanted his people to kill the animals in a specific way, wanted their blood spilt all around the altar, asked for the viscera to be distributed in a certain way and for the rest of the body to be burned.

Freixedo then explains why the gods wanted it that way and makes it perfectly plain that that is the way they can feed on our energy best. Apparently our fresh blood is what they enjoy best as it "very easily and naturally releases this type of energy (which is ultimately nothing more than electromagnetic waves) that so pleases the gods. To obtain similar energies from a living body, the gods have to kill it violently and then burn it, while the blood, when it flows freely, already separated from the body, releases this energy in a completely
    spontaneous way." (p.86)

It is not that they specifically need us as food but they enjoy having the energies coming from this just like we enjoy coffee or tobacco, for example.

What the gods seek:
    1. They look first for the waves produced by an excited humanbrain; (mostly tormented).
    2. They look for the “waves of life”, that is, the energy that aliving body gives off when it dies violently.
    3. They look for the waves that each and every one of the cells give off, which are still alive for a long time after the man or animal has already died.
    4. They look for the spilled blood, because when it is outside the body, it very easily releases an energy that they want.

A man who is to be sacrificed to a god provides all of what they look for: terror and despair provide aspect 1
    what they seek. violent death provides aspect 2
    the cremation of the body provides aspect 3
    and a river of blood (4) is the natural fruit of these sacred bestialities with which men have been deceived for
    millennia as children ...
    (cf. p. 93)

There are probably more things that they seek and achieve in their visits to our dimension, which go unnoticed by us, and which we probably would not understand even if they explained them to us

The gods' enjoyment of these particular vibrations emanating from fear, pain, cruelty, anger, also feelings of extasy and blood is the reason why throughout human history there has been mayhem and bloodshed in various forms, like war (e.g. Yahweh led his people into numerous wars and had thousands of animal and quite a few people sacrificed to him), religious persecution leading to torture, and later, in more civilized times, blood sports, athletic competitions between clubs and countries and team sports with large crowds displaying vast amounts of energy within that particular vibrational field.

The author draws a parallel between how we treat our animals and how the gods treat us which again makes total sense to me as he mentions several convincing examples. Essentially Earth is a farm with us being just a step above the animal kingdom in the food chain.

To me that is a sobering thought, but one which makes total sense when looking at the big picture.

Freixedo believes that contacts with the gods is harmful to people, part of the reason for that is that they can easily overpower and manipulate us with their vibrations.
    He says they use us and are not primarily interested in our feelings, our judgements or our reactions to their way of acting with us.

"In their dealings with us, their interest is always (...) that which prevails; if something suits them and helps us, they will do it; and if something suits them and hurts us, they will do it
    in the same way.
    All of human history has been subtly guided by them, so that we would do what was convenient for them." (p. 139).

The human race has repeatedly seen its ascension to higher levels of consciousness frustrated due to the intervention of the gods who make sure that man does not mature
    and continues to serve them. They have used tricks and false guidelines, like wars, traditions, religions and dogmata, thus strangling the human spirit for millenia (cf. p. 139).

Freixedo the mentions the pros and cons of religions, making it abundantly clear where the pros end, ultimately making it impossible for us to progress. He also mentions the fact that we developed much faster once the total power of the church over the people was broken.

Here's how he thinks we can defend ourselves against the gods:

1. We must not try to enter their terrain. And everybody who tries to “transcend” in this life enters their field. "In a certain way it is dangerous to physically approach some preachers,
    “founders,” enlightened and mystics. (...) (p. 152)

2. Never give your mind to anyone. The mind must always be free and available at the service of the human being to tell him what the circumstances are at that moment and what to do.

3. Do not invoke anyone. Don't call anyone to worship him. Do not bow down to any god-person or to any god-thing to worship him or to celebrate rites for him. You could too easily end
    up calling upon one of those gods. Someone who invokes is exposed to "being parasitised" (p. 157) (as is someone who allows another to hypnotize him, don't do it).
    The true God of the Universe, the Supreme Intelligence, totally unknowable in its entirety by the human mind, does not go around demanding, like a jealous lover, that his creatures
    constantly worship him, or show him love.
    The best worship that we can actually render to God is the right use of the creatures of nature. Show respect for life.

4. Don't offer them your pain. Do not offer to suffer. Refuse pain for pain's sake and never seek it. Rebel against sacred masochism, which as a sacrament has been enthroned in the Ch
    Christian Church for centuries.
    God does not want human pain;the gods do want it because to some degree they benefit from it.

5. Get rid of dogmas and rites. Put aside the traditional beliefs that have to do with the afterlife and with the way of conceiving this life.

6. Detraumatize. Free the soul from all the fears and all the anguish and all the deformations that erroneous Christian beliefs (and ultimately, the gods) have instilled in us over the
    centuries and throughout our lives. Our minds are sick. Just as the psyche of many people is deeply affected by some strong trauma or fright that they received in their childhood, the
    psyche and the ability to think dispassionately, are deeply affected in the entire human race.

7. After having taken steps 5 and 6, institute a new order of values. Organize new priorities in life, according not to the wishes of any god, but to the needs of mankind.
    The only thing that is sacred on Earth is life itself and its correct evolution.
    These new dogmas will also be much more generic and, above all, more respectful of the Divine, without going into defining or analyzing it, and recognizing that our brain is totally
    incapable of encompassing an Intelligence and an Energy that have been able to make all that infinity roll.
    the Cosmic God, the God-Universe, has nothing to do with the idol of Christianity. The God-Energy does not have anger, nor is he impatient, much less has eternal punishments for
    this wonderful speck of dust called man (all this from p. 164).

8. WE HAVE TO RADICALLY CHANGE OUR IDEA OF GOD.
    Look to you! You are a true child of GOD! Not for redemptions or for salvations that no one has given you, but because of your very nature that participates in divinity and that you
    have to make evolve through the good use of your intelligence and your longlife; but apart from the heart ”. (p.169)

We are slowly awakening, let's evolve rationally and without fear (cf. p. 173). We have to evolve intellectually, morally and aesthetically (p. 174).

I would recommend this to just about everybody and if you disagree with what I wrote about it here or want a deeper explanation, feel free to look this up in the book , that's why I used quotes and the exact sources, all the points the author makes are explained in detail, there is just too much in there to put it all in one post.
    Wow! I am blown away by your synopsis of this book. I am glad Avalon has it as I tried (because I am lazy that way) just to order it as either an ebook or printed but no luck. It boggles my mind that this information has been out and about for a long time. The reality is that one isn't ready to hear it, until they are ready. So much of this very important information (from your post alone) would have zoomed over my head even a few years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to give us the overview Icare, this makes sense on so many levels.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Icare (31st December 2021), onawah (31st December 2021)

39. Link to Post #160
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I greatly enjoyed the STARZ "Outlander" series, based on the novels by Diana Gabaldon, so much so that I decided to tackle the books, which are VERY long, so I've been reading myself to sleep with them for months now.
    I'm on book 6 now, "A Breath of Snow and Ashes", and the storyline continues to engross me because the characters are so well fleshed-out, and there is so much authentic, well-researched detail.
    But there is a new twist in the narrative for me now; because I have become convinced that Earth is due for a disaster of epic proportions within the next 20-25 years, a magnetic pole reversal.
    So now I am imagining what it would be like to be in a similar position to some of the main characters in the story, who are time travelers, traversing from the 1960s back to the time of the colonization of America.
    I don't think all technology will be lost in our near post-apocalyptic future, but since survivors may not have the means to reproduce surviving technology, eventually reverting to much earlier means of survival will probably be necessary.
    I wonder if there are any novels about the survivors of the Fall of Atlantis....particularly any written by survivors writing from past life memories...
    That could be very interesting, even instructive....
    What an interesting thought, about survivors of Atlantis. We hear how the survivors scattered but I don't recall anyone talking about or really even speculating on how and what that looked like for them on a day to day basis.

I remember taking a deep dive into what the life of pioneer women (some of the very first) looked like and the incredible amount of work that was involved in simple survival and being a homemaker. It's a shame so much of the history we have been provided was inaccurate and rarely from the viewpoint of women or just day to day life.

I kind of resent that what passed for history in school was not only inaccurate much of the time, it was marked by events like wars, treaties ect. That just held very little interest to me. I suppose presenting that perspective was part of the programming. Now it seems to be based on who was the greatest victim..

I didn't realize Outlander was actually a series of books, looks like it might be a fun read.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Icare (15th January 2022), onawah (30th December 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 8 9 LastLast