+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 9 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks

Default Re: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

I'm reading Jose Silva's Everyday ESP which can be downloaded for free on the net. My purpose is to help family members, others and myself in solving problems in life using techniques from the book. I am grateful for The Silva Method book given to me many years ago by a friend. Despite my skepticism, it really works and helped me solve some problems in my life using various techniques. The current book I read contains the powerful Mental Video Technique which I'm interested to use since I have not come across this method before.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skyhigh For This Post:

Corfitz (9th April 2019), onawah (9th April 2019), Pam (15th April 2019), Rosemarie (9th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

3. Link to Post #22
    Ecuador Honored, Retired Member. Warren passed on 2 July, 2020.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,540 times in 864 posts

Default Re: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

I recently finished reading "A Farewell To Arms" by Ernest Hemingway and am now reading "South Sea Tales" by Jack London. London's book is much more rough and tumble than Michener's "South Pacific". A few years ago I read Thomas Campbell's "My Big Toe", but got bogged down somewhere in the middle. Another good history book is "The Hunt For Zero Point" by Nick Cook. Nick's book will give you some new insights into what really happened during and just after WWII.

When I was a manager at a software company, I used to ask people that I interviewed for openings what are they reading. It gave me some good insights into the person's personality and sometimes introduced me to a book I had never considered reading.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Forest Denizen (28th June 2019), Mare (17th October 2020), onawah (9th April 2019), Pam (15th April 2019), Rosemarie (9th April 2019), Valerie Villars (9th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

5. Link to Post #23
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

I am currently reading ‘The Project Avalon forum’ and it is by far the biggest and most diverse tome I’ve yet to encounter

Also on the go - ‘The Hidden Life of Trees’ , by Peter Wohlleben. A glimpse into the unknown world of trees’ special relationships with each other and the world around them. Highly recommend.

Also - ‘Beekeepers Problem Solver’, ‘Storey’s Guide to Goat Management’, and ‘Everything you Need to know but were Never Told’ by David Icke.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

ClearWater (9th April 2019), Corfitz (9th April 2019), Flowerpunkchip (23rd July 2019), frankstien (10th April 2019), onawah (9th April 2019), Pam (15th April 2019), petra (17th September 2019), Rosemarie (9th April 2019), Valerie Villars (9th April 2019), Vicus (16th October 2021), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by wnlight (here)
    I recently finished reading "A Farewell To Arms" by Ernest Hemingway and am now reading "South Sea Tales" by Jack London.
    I recently finished The Sea Wolf by London and it was great. Definitely rough around the edges but a great read.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Forest Denizen (28th June 2019), Mare (17th October 2020), Pam (15th April 2019), Robert deTree (6th June 2019), Rosemarie (9th April 2019), Valerie Villars (9th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

9. Link to Post #25
    Denmark Avalon Member
    Thanks

I'm currently reading The Secret Teachings Of All Ages by Manly P Hall. Love reading his work.
    just got hardcopies of The Odyssey and The Iliad, looking forward to those as well, as Manly talks so much about the ancient greeks.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corfitz For This Post:

Pam (15th April 2019), Rosemarie (9th April 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    Ecuador Avalon Member Rosemarie's Avatar
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 311 posts

Quote Posted by wnlight (here)
    I recently finished reading "A Farewell To Arms" by Ernest Hemingway and am now reading "South Sea Tales" by Jack London. London's book is much more rough and tumble than Michener's "South Pacific". A few years ago I read Thomas Campbell's "My Big Toe", but got bogged down somewhere in the middle. Another good history book is "The Hunt For Zero Point" by Nick Cook. Nick's book will give you some new insights into what really happened during and just after WWII.

When I was a manager at a software company, I used to ask people that I interviewed for openings what are they reading. It gave me some good insights into the person's personality and sometimes introduced me to a book I had never considered reading.
    My neighbor ! ( well, same country !). I hope I get to meet you after the rainy season stops and I feel safe driving up the mountain.
    I read allllllll Hemingway books, some when I was younger and some after my son recommend a couple. I also read books by his different wives to see his frame of mind while writing some of them, the last one Autumn in Venice about him and his last “muse” gives you historical and personal background of him in that time frame of his last years. I sometimes want to learn a little bit more about an author. Michener’s books were in my mother’s library and read them all. Not Jack London or Nick Cook. Will investigate them.

Yes, I think you can tell a lot about a person from what they tell you they are reading.I read somewhere that a book is a decision and it is that decision what shows who you are. And when we choose to read a book again and again it means it has something that resonates deeply inside. And that tell a lot about a person.

I also enjoy very much visiting a new friend and discovering a small library in their house. You know, not many people do. I am also old school..... like to feel and smell a book in my hands.
    Last edited by Rosemarie; 9th April 2019 at 21:24.
    "Be kind for everybody is fighting a great battle" Plato

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

Corfitz (9th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th June 2019), Pam (15th April 2019), Valerie Villars (9th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

13. Link to Post #27
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Corfitz (here)
    I'm currently reading The Secret Teachings Of All Ages by Manly P Hall. Love reading his work.
    just got hardcopies of The Odyssey and The Iliad, looking forward to those as well, as Manly talks so much about the ancient greeks.
    Corfitz, mea culpa , never heard of Manly P Hall and just googled him. The Odyssey and The Iliad also required readying in school in South America. Have my old copies still with me ! But I have not been a fan of Greek mythology .....but then I read a book called The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller and fell in love. It is a retelling of the legend of Achilles and the Trojan war. She just wrote a new book called Circe, which I should be reading next , but my friends that have read it don’t like it as much as her first. But have to decide by myself.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

Corfitz (10th April 2019), Pam (15th April 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,592 times in 5,379 posts

I've read all the bpooks mentioned at one point or another.

Now I read anything.

Just finished some star wars book.
    next will be reading some new Larry Niven collaborations with steve barnes. For me reading these days is just to entertain my mind for a bit - and forget this crazy world.

I loved James a Mitchener. Devoured his books many years ago. My favorite author is still Jules Verne. His best book: Mysterious Island and its sequel, 20,000 leagues under the sea.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Rosemarie (10th April 2019), Smell the Roses (11th April 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Denmark Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rosemarie (here)
    Quote Posted by Corfitz (here)
    Corfitz, mea culpa , never heard of Manly P Hall and just googled him. The Odyssey and The Iliad also required readying in school in South America. Have my old copies still with me ! But I have not been a fan of Greek mythology .....but then I read a book called The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller and fell in love. It is a retelling of the legend of Achilles and the Trojan war. She just wrote a new book called Circe, which I should be reading next , but my friends that have read it don’t like it as much as her first. But have to decide by myself.
    Damn I wish my schooltime included mandatory Greek philosophy . Sounds pretty cool to me

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Corfitz For This Post:

Rosemarie (10th April 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 times in 144 posts

"Journeys of Souls: Case History of Life between Lives" Michael Newton

Using hypnosis (stay away if you think any investigative work using hypnosis is bunk), Michael Newton "discovers" the secrets of what happens to his patients during their interlude between lives. He describes the common corridors that souls traverse, the waiting rooms, the distribution center, the guides/teachers, the soul clusters schools...It is a fascinating book!

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TEOTWAIKI For This Post:

ClearWater (14th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th June 2019), IndigoSpiral (1st July 2019), Mare (17th October 2020), Rosemarie (11th April 2019), Valerie Villars (15th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

21. Link to Post #31
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TEOTWAIKI (here)

Using hypnosis (stay away if you think any investigative work using hypnosis is bunk), Michael Newton "discovers" the secrets of what happens to his patients during their interlude between lives. He describes the common corridors that souls traverse, the waiting rooms, the distribution center, the guides/teachers, the soul clusters schools...It is a fascinating book!
    Sounds fascinating ! I don’t know anything about hypnosis but open to anything that makes me understand the way the soul prepares to come back to earth. Thank you Teotwaiki

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

Constance (11th April 2019), Forest Denizen (28th June 2019), IndigoSpiral (1st July 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,072 times in 144 posts

Quote Posted by Rosemarie (here)

Sounds fascinating ! I don’t know anything about hypnosis but open to anything that makes me understand the way the soul prepares to come back to earth. Thank you Teotwaiki
    Rosemarie,

The reason I emphasized the hypnotism aspect is that some member of the forum do not consider research results obtained by hypnosis as trustworthy; the concern being that clients under hypnosis can be easily biased by the researcher. Does Michael Newton do this? Yes. Does it negate his research? No.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TEOTWAIKI For This Post:

Mare (17th October 2020), Rosemarie (12th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

I'm reading Leo Zagami's Invisible Master. In an interview he said it explains the difference between demons and aliens, but so far it hasn't, seems more like he's saying they're equivalent. It's very academic, like all his books. He seems to reference sources other researchers wouldn't know about (due to his secret society ties). He did say something interesting about Crowley's OTO. He said they screw up a person's chakras, perhaps beyond repair, in order to facilitate a demonic agenda. He has experience in the OTO as well as other occult orders.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Rosemarie (12th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

27. Link to Post #34
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

Quote Posted by frankstien (here)
    I am having a smorgasbord.

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

It is a wild and outrageous tale that goes on and on and you start shaking your head at these characters, but they never fail to amuse and confound you.

Also:
    Rabbit Run by John Updike

A young husband abandons his wife and child and goes on an odyssey to recapture some meaning in his life--too soon to tell how this one will play out.

and finally:
    Function of The Orgasm by Dr. Wilhelm Reich (translated by Dr. Theodore P. Wolfe)

Fascinating study about how our body with muscular holding patterns plays in concert with our minds and keeps us in set patterns of behavior. Many holistic therapies were derived from Reich's work, but none as powerful as his for freeing the individual to experience life more fully.
    The function of the organism was an excellent book. I highly recommend you read his book on fascism which is in the avalon library and also if you can get your hands on it you should read his book on his experiments which lead to the discovery of orgone.

I also want to second The secret Life of Trees. AWESOME BOOK

28. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

I'm reading "Original Wisdom" by Robert Wolff.

At my current understanding, my country (Malaysia) seems to be not as "interesting" as some other parts of the world regarding ancient histories and civilisation. I came across this book and another book "Healing Sounds from the Malaysian Rainforest : Temiar Music and Medicine" by Marina Roseman that writes about the Native people in the forest of Malaysia, their ways of life and practices about connecting with nature and dream songs.

I hope that I could learn more and practically use music as a healing agent. I collected an amount of data and theories here and there these years, still there are just theories at the moment...

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wmel For This Post:

Forest Denizen (28th June 2019), Rosemarie (18th April 2019), Valerie Villars (15th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

30. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

I'm excited about reading Graham Hancock new book that just came out who David Wilcock believes is a Satanist (insert joke)

America Before: The Key to Earth's Lost Civilization

Was an advanced civilization lost to history in the global cataclysm that ended the last Ice Age? Graham Hancock, the internationally bestselling author, has made it his life's work to find out--and in America Before, he draws on the latest archaeological and DNA evidence to bring his quest to a stunning conclusion.

We’ve been taught that North and South America were empty of humans until around 13,000 years ago – amongst the last great landmasses on earth to have been settled by our ancestors. But new discoveries have radically reshaped this long-established picture and we know now that the Americas were first peopled more than 130,000 years ago – many tens of thousands of years before human settlements became established elsewhere.

Hancock's research takes us on a series of journeys and encounters with the scientists responsible for the recent extraordinary breakthroughs. In the process, from the Mississippi Valley to the Amazon rainforest, he reveals that ancient "New World" cultures share a legacy of advanced scientific knowledge and sophisticated spiritual beliefs with supposedly unconnected "Old World" cultures. Have archaeologists focused for too long only on the "Old World" in their search for the origins of civilization while failing to consider the revolutionary possibility that those origins might in fact be found in the "New World"?

America Before: The Key to Earth's Lost Civilization is the culmination of everything that millions of readers have loved in Hancock's body of work over the past decades, namely a mind-dilating exploration of the mysteries of the past, amazing archaeological discoveries and profound implications for how we lead our lives today.

608 pages......... well documented....... can't wait

Last edited by ichingcarpenter; 15th April 2019 at 14:32.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

IndigoSpiral (1st July 2019), onawah (17th April 2019), Rosemarie (18th April 2019)

32. Link to Post #37
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

You can also read Michael Newton - Destiny Of souls (2000)
    Dolores Cannon has many similar books - like Between Death and Life.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to max123 For This Post:

Mare (17th October 2020), Rosemarie (18th April 2019), TEOTWAIKI (17th April 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

34. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

I usually have multiple books started, which I pick up depending on my mood. In the serious classics department, I just finished David Copperfield and am reading Dracula. It took me a long time to finish David Copperfield, but it was worth it. The last third picks up considerably and was worth slogging through the second third. I notice it's a common theme in novels that were originally serialized that the middle is a bit dull, while the beginning and end move along nicely.

In the edge of science department, I am reading The Holographic Universe. In the history department I am reading World War I: The Rest of the Story and How It Affects You Today, 1870 to 1935 by Richard Maybury. In the light read department, I'm reading a book by New Hampshire author Jessie Crockett.
    There's no time like the present.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Forest Denizen (28th June 2019), Rosemarie (23rd April 2019), Valerie Villars (22nd April 2019)

36. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,593 times in 672 posts

I'm in the middle of 5 books at the moment.

3 by Joseph P. Farrell:

1) Hidden Finance, Rogue Networks and Secret Sorcery:
    The Fascist International, 9/11, and Penetrated Operations

2) Secrets of the Unified Field:
    The Philadelphia Experiment, The Nazi Bell, and the Discarded Theory

3) Yahweh, the Two-Faced God (with Scott D. deHart):
    Theology, Terrorism, and Topology

These Farrell books are paperback, not digital, and I have 23 of his books in paperback. All have been worth every penny.

4) Learning Python 5th edition by Mark Lutz

5) The Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle by Grey Larsen
    Last edited by gord; 22nd April 2019 at 23:35. Reason: forgot Scott D. deHart!
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

East Sun (25th August 2019), Mare (17th October 2020), onawah (11th May 2019), Rosemarie (23rd April 2019), Smell the Roses (22nd April 2019)

38. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,975 times in 20,621 posts

Theory of Bastards by Audrey Schulman, takes place in the very near future, and is very plausible.
    AI is controlling the power grid, but when it becomes infected, the grid fails.
    The protagonist is a woman scientist researching the mating habits of bonobos in a facility that houses groups of various kinds of great apes.
    She and her fellow researcher are left in charge of the facility when the grids fails, and they must leave, taking the apes with them, to find other survivors, food and shelter.
    It's well written, humane, and very psychologically insightful into the behavior of humans and apes.
    Also very well received by critics including Kircus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, NY Times, etc.

update: Forgot to mention, though worthy of mention, that Schulman, besides being the author of 4 previous novels, runs a non-profit in Cambridge, Mass. called HEET which is dedicated to the understanding of clean and efficient energy.
    Last edited by onawah; 30th April 2019 at 22:47.
    Each breath a gift...

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Constance (17th May 2019), Franny (12th May 2019), Rich (17th May 2019), Rosemarie (11th May 2019), XelNaga (21st October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 9 LastLast