+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 5 9 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

1. Link to Post #81
    Canada Avalon Member frankstien's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,677 times in 325 posts

Default Re: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

In keeping with all the hub-bub about Jeffrey Epstein--let us not forget a great novel by Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
    I read this last year, though the idea of the main character and his obsession with prepubescent girls was kind of silly, after awhile I got addicted to these two characters, the adult: Humbert and the child: Lolita and everyday I read more because I started to miss them! Well, that's good writing...

"If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Clarity (23rd July 2019), Eva2 (22nd December 2019), Kryztian (17th July 2019), Rosemarie (16th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #82
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Default Re: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

I read that novel years ago.

Weird synchronicities regarding that novel and the movie (which I also saw). A friend of mine is a grip in the movies. In the nineties my boyfriend and I went to visit him on the set of the remake of that movie.

I now live about two miles from Zemurry Gardens where the movie was filmed.

It was also my spanish class name in high school, as given me by the teacher. I didn't choose it.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Clarity (23rd July 2019), Forest Denizen (15th July 2019), frankstien (16th July 2019), Franny (17th July 2019), petra (17th September 2019), Rosemarie (16th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #83
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Praxis (here)
    Quote Posted by frankstien (here)
    The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

A riveting story of a young soldier during the Civil War--an amazing intense account of being in battle.

And--

Wilhelm Reich's follow-up to his The Function of The Orgasm or a part 2 - The Cancer Biopathy

In this book Reich documents his experiments to discover how cancer begins in an organism. This work led to his creating the Orgone Accumulator that helped reverse the effects of cancer in patients.
    The Cancer Biopathy changed my world. Very interesting book
    Sorry it's taken so long to comment on your comment--YES, you are right it is an interesting book and would change someone's world once they saw, with the evidence provided by Dr.Reich's work, how biogenius works,what causes cancer and how to reverse it.

Years ago I worked for a large well known cancer research center. I wasn't in research, I worked a type of support job for their media presentations to universities. But what I noticed was each department was self-contained and they didn't know much what each other was up to, their primary focus was on maintaining or increasing their funding. This huge research center is no closer today to discovering a cure to cancer than when I was there years ago. They will never discover one, a real cure that is, because they do not know what Reich demonstrated in his book.

They wouldn't need all that money and huge facilities, just one medium sized laboratory, a copy of Wilhelm Reich's Function of The Orgasm, The Cancer Biopathy, and Ether,God,and Devil - Cosmic Superimposition and within a year of replicating his work they'd be well on their way to really helping people with cancer. But no, there's more money in cancer/disease management, than in preventive medicine.
    Last edited by frankstien; 17th July 2019 at 00:53.
    "If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Clarity (23rd July 2019), Forest Denizen (25th August 2019), Franny (17th July 2019), Praxis (17th July 2019), Rosemarie (17th July 2019), Valerie Villars (16th July 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

7. Link to Post #84
    Thanks

I just finished John Gardner's The Art of Fiction.

If you are interested in the technique and process of what makes good writing, this book will be a treasure trove of helpful information.

Just started William Burrough's "Junky"

Promises to be an interesting read all about Burrough's addiction to heroin and the sub-culture of addicts in post WWII America.
    --frankstien

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Rosemarie (25th August 2019), Valerie Villars (23rd August 2019)

9. Link to Post #85
    Ireland Avalon Member aoibhghaire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 times in 855 posts

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Shasta-.../dp/0927978601

The Mount Shasta Mission, 2005 by Machaelle Small Wright.

For anyone who appreciates work with Nature and who is interested in our earths evolution I think that the Mt. Shasta Mission is a worthwhile, important, and valuable read. I think this book is more of a study manual; a text that one can use to get a greater sense of the depth of work involved with multi-dimensional endeavours. If you are looking to examine a co-creative, multi-level partnership/team work and working to expand your own awareness and everyday work with Nature, then this is the book to use.

An important factor was that the energies released by the Mission were transferred to a level beyond our universe. The mission thus constituted a momentous event.

The Mount Shasta Mission, its primary aim was to deactivate Piscean government/military leylines, simultaneously activating a new leyline grid supporting Aquarian structures. This mission was executed and took place between July 15-17 1985.

One result of the mission, which I can reveal was successful - that can involve us all, was that owing to the leylines transfer we can now focus on specific situations and ask for and expect to receive new solutions, i.e. we will be assisted by the current team ‘another reality off planet’ and the new leylines.

The Mount Shasta Mission is a story that starts slowly and quietly. Unbeknownst to Machaelle at that time, pieces that were seemingly unconnected but were later critical to the Mission were being put into place. This is where we see the importance of doing what we are supposed to do, even if we don't have a clue about the larger implications. And you'll know in new ways just how much we are not alone when we humans are faced with the sometimes daunting task of moving ourselves and our world forward.

This book is not for you if:

You don't like detail and prefer to read "A miracle occurs here and they all lived happily ever after."
    The Big Picture scares you.
    You believe thinking about government and its impact on the social structure around you is beneath you.
    You like being uninformed.
    You don't wish to live within your community (immediate and global) more responsibly.
    You don't want to know how a multi-level project such as the Mt. Shasta Mission is pulled off.
    You don't have the patience for a story that starts slowly.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aoibhghaire For This Post:

Forest Denizen (24th August 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2019), Rosemarie (25th August 2019), Valerie Villars (26th August 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

11. Link to Post #86
    United States Avalon Member Ahimsa's Avatar
    Thanks

Books I'm currently reading:

The Illustrated Secret History of the World by Mark Booth

Click image for larger version

Name:	A1sk2-ahlqL.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	41450

Foundations of High Magick: The Magical Philosophy by Melita Denning and Osborne Phillips

Name:  51TVR8VDDVL.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  32.6 KB

Traditional Chinese Medicine by Paul U. Unschuld

Name:  9780231175005.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  52.1 KB

The Buddha's Teachings on Prosperity: At Home, At Work, in the World by Bhikkhu Basnagoda Rahula

Name:  41+dpt1XxaL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  26.2 KB

I got a lot of reading on my plate. I enjoy reading books on Buddhism, Eastern medicine, Eastern philosophy, and occultism.

Any recommendations, guys?

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ahimsa For This Post:

Cara (26th August 2019), Forest Denizen (28th August 2019), Rosemarie (25th August 2019), Strat (28th August 2019), Valerie Villars (26th August 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020), xylo (28th August 2019)

13. Link to Post #87
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,486 times in 1,711 posts

In a few days I will have David Icke's new book 'The Trigger'

I've read most of his books--they are always interesting...…..
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (17th September 2019), Ernie Nemeth (26th August 2019), Forest Denizen (28th August 2019), Rosemarie (25th August 2019), Valerie Villars (26th August 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

15. Link to Post #88
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,278 times in 1,399 posts

Studies in Consciousness "Mind Reach" by Russell Targ and Harold E. Puthoff.
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Forest Denizen (28th August 2019), Rosemarie (25th August 2019), Valerie Villars (26th August 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

17. Link to Post #89
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Just read a Larry Niven/Steven Barnes book: The Barsoom Project. Next is The Man Who Was Thursday by Chesterton. After that will be Clancy's Threat Vector or Jonathan Kellerman's, The Web...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

East Sun (26th August 2019), Forest Denizen (28th August 2019), petra (17th September 2019), Rosemarie (31st August 2019), Valerie Villars (26th August 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

19. Link to Post #90
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

I am reading a philosophical book... a slim little book but densely packed with thought! It “popped out” at me while I was in the book shop.

Quote The Scent of Time: A Philosophical Essay on the Art of Lingering
    by Byung-Chul Han

In his philosophical reflections on the art of lingering, acclaimed cultural theorist Byung-Chul Han argues that the value we attach today to the vita activa is producing a crisis in our sense of time. Our attachment to the vita activa creates an imperative to work which degrades the human being into a labouring animal, an animal laborans. At the same time, the hyperactivity which characterizes our daily routines robs human beings of the capacity to linger and the faculty of contemplation. It therefore becomes impossible to experience time as fulfilling.

Drawing on a range of thinkers including Heidegger, Nietzsche and Arendt, Han argues that we can overcome this temporal crisis only by revitalizing the vita contemplativa and relearning the art of lingering. For what distinguishes humans from other animals is the capacity for reflection and contemplation, and when life regains this capacity, this art of lingering, it gains in time and space, in duration and vastness.
    From: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-scent-of-time
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

aoibhghaire (27th August 2019), Forest Denizen (28th August 2019), Rosemarie (31st August 2019), Satori (26th August 2019), Sue (Ayt) (26th August 2019), Valerie Villars (28th August 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020), xylo (28th August 2019)

21. Link to Post #91
    Language
    Jazz
    Thanks

I’m listening to the audio book version of “Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon” by David McGowan. Wow! If you’re even remotely connected to the music and “counter-culture” movement of the 60’s and 70’s, especially as a fan, activist or enthusiast, prepare to be crushed. Everything you thought was real, isn’t. Everything you thought went in one direction actually went in reverse. I’m almost done with the audio book (available on audible.com) and I’m going to purchase the printed form because I’m certain this work will eventually be banned, especially In these times. I must surely be in some form of denial just as an involuntary survival mechanism. As a young professional musician who lived and worked in and around L.A. starting in 1973, I know and worked for some of the subjects of this revealing exposé, and taking in this book connects a lot of dots for me. I was a young and enthusiastic believer and naïve participant musically, culturally and “politically” but I had no idea that everything, every single thing I thought was authentic and part of a logical evolution, was in truth 100% shrewdly calculated social engineering perpetuated by the military intelligence community. It’s devastating, and it angers me. So much darkness. I have skeptical streak which has now turned decidedly cynical. As so many say regarding the fictionalized historical narrative we were taught in school, we’ve been lied to. It’s amazing to realize and understand how effective these nefarious agendas are, and the degree of precise planning and execution the controllers are able of perpetrating, in disinformative layers of smoke and mirrors. I recommend laying hands on the printed version of this book before it’s banned. Sadly, the author, David McGowan, a tireless veteran researcher with impeccable cred’s, was murdered soon after the book was released. A tough way for us to understand he hit the nail of Truth right on head, yet a sure sign that he knew too much and taking him out was no doubt a solution to the prospect of the author going out on the promotional speaking tour that normally follows a book release.
    Last edited by xylo; 28th August 2019 at 02:29.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xylo For This Post:

Forest Denizen (28th August 2019), Franny (17th September 2019), Rosemarie (31st August 2019), Sue (Ayt) (17th September 2019), Valerie Villars (28th August 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

23. Link to Post #92
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 times in 1,617 posts

I’ve been on an astrology binge this past week. Trying to figure out some of the physical mechanisms for how astral physics and ‘the music of the spheres’ shapes life and matter on earth.

The Greater and Lesser Worlds of Robert Fludd: Macrocosm, Microcosm, and Medicine — Jocelyn Godwin (pre-order to be released in December)

Physics without Einstein - Harold Aspden

Pythagorean Source Book and Library — Kenneth Guthrie

Christian Astrology, Books 1 & 2

Astrogeographia: Correspondences between the Stars and Earthly Locations — Robert Powell

Planetary Influences Upon Plants: A Cosmological Botany — Ernst Kranich

The Tree of Life: An Expose of Physical Regenesis on the Three-Fold Plane of Bodily, Chemical and Spiritual Operation — George W Carey

The Splendor Solis: The World's Most Famous Alchemical Manuscript — Stephen Skinner

Personal Panchanga: The Five Sources of Light — Komilla Sutton

The Books of Jeu and the Untitled Text in the Bruce Codex (Nag Hammadi Studies) (Nag Hammadi Studies / Nag Hammadi Studies, the Coptic Gnostic Library)

Image limit reached but this last book is probably one of the most important gnostic texts I’ve read. It’s a record of Jesus teaching the ‘The Treasury of Light’ to his disciples, which to me seems a lot like the Theurgy practices of the Greeks or Jyotish astrology in the Vedas. PDF copy available at Gnosis Study

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jayke For This Post:

Chester (20th September 2019), Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), leavesoftrees (30th August 2019), Rosemarie (31st August 2019), Valerie Villars (17th September 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

25. Link to Post #93
    Thanks

Currently - Jane Austin's "Sense and Sensibility", it's enjoyable, kind of like reading an episode of Masterpiece Theater.

--frankstien

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (17th September 2019), Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), Franny (17th September 2019), Rosemarie (17th September 2019), Valerie Villars (17th September 2019)

27. Link to Post #94
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

The Science of Mind - Ernest Holmes
    Synchronicity - Dr. Kirby Surprise
    The Memoirs of Billy Shears - Thomas E. Uharriet
    Recovery - Russell Brand
    The CIA as Organized Crime - Douglas Valentine

Yes, hopping back and forth between them all.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), Franny (17th September 2019), Rosemarie (17th September 2019), Valerie Villars (17th September 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

29. Link to Post #95
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

I'm bouncing between a few, The Colossus of Maroussi by Henry Miller, read it years ago but it's such marvelous writing I decided to enjoy it again. The other is America Before - The Key to the Earth's Lost Civilization by Graham Hancock, and Lawrence Durrell's Notes on Travel, tho it's taking a back seat to to other two for now.

A Jane Austin collection waiting in the wings and a mystery or two...
    A million galaxies are a little foam on that shoreless sea. ~ Rumi

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Chester (17th September 2019), Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), frankstien (17th September 2019), Rosemarie (17th September 2019), Valerie Villars (17th September 2019)

31. Link to Post #96
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,530 times in 2,552 posts

Cosmic Trigger by RAW - finished I and II and just got III.
    Also - People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck which someone(?) here recommended.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Chester (17th September 2019), Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), frankstien (27th September 2019), Rosemarie (17th September 2019), Valerie Villars (17th September 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

33. Link to Post #97
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

The New Testament

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Chester (17th September 2019), Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), Rosemarie (17th September 2019), Valerie Villars (17th September 2019)

35. Link to Post #98
    Ecuador Avalon Member Rosemarie's Avatar
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 311 posts

Hola my Avalonian friends. Sorry I have been missing ! Want to share what I have been reading and please continue sharing with us what you are reading. There is always going to be something of interest to somebody else.

Longing for Darkness is Karen Blixen old friend and old majordomo Kamante ( the hero of her classic Out of Africa ) memories about their lives in Africa.

Avid Reader is Robert Gottieb autobiography. The New Yorker editor for many years and for sixty years running publishing company Simon and Schuster.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt won her a Pulitzer Price in 2014 for fiction. Had that book for years and could not read it. Decided to tacked it before the movie came out ( sept ) and it was like pulling teeth. Did not like it at all, but it seems you either love it ( my daughter )or hate it ( lots of friends and strangers )

Circe by my favorite autor Madeline Miller did no disappoint. Love it, as her first book The Song of Achilles.

The Medici Giraffe by Marina Belozerskaya is about how exotic animals have long entranced and inspired us.

The 2 books by Michael Newton The Journey of Souls and Destiny of Souls I devoured at fast as I Could
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6C376179-639B-4BC6-AE6F-4AFC8B2808C8.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	520.6 KB
ID:	41541   Click image for larger version

Name:	12FEAD93-59B0-4770-BA00-6531922B516C.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	615.4 KB
ID:	41540  
    "Be kind for everybody is fighting a great battle" Plato

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

Chester (17th September 2019), Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), frankstien (17th September 2019), Franny (17th September 2019), Valerie Villars (17th September 2019)

37. Link to Post #99
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by AriG (here)
    I am currently reading ‘The Project Avalon forum’ and it is by far the biggest and most diverse tome I’ve yet to encounter ;-) ...
    Thanks for the laugh AriG, that was so funny I had to pause!

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    I've read all the bpooks mentioned at one point or another.

Now I read anything.

Just finished some star wars book.
    next will be reading some new Larry Niven collaborations with steve barnes. For me reading these days is just to entertain my mind for a bit - and forget this crazy world.
    Wow Ernie! That's a lot of books!

I'm reading Star Trek Q-In Law by Peter David as opposed to your Star Wars ;-)

I used to read a LOT, but currently the only thing that appeals to me is Star Trek books about Q or Data... (I imagine this will change over time)

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), Franny (17th September 2019), Rosemarie (17th September 2019), Strat (17th September 2019), Valerie Villars (17th September 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

39. Link to Post #100
    Ireland Avalon Member aoibhghaire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 times in 855 posts

Children from the Sky by Duncan Lunan

This is the only book I have found that goes into great depths about the "Green Children" of the 12th century.
    This is a book that looks at the "Green Children" at every different angle or story you can imagine. From extra-terrestrials to coming out of an underground city to being transported from another part of the planet, the moon, a ship or somewhere else in the galaxy.

A scholarly work with factual information that Lunan was able to obtain in the years 1066-1395 that took 10 years of research. The lives of all these people and their whereabouts and their personal dealings with the crown and each other.

I do agree with the author in the fact that why weren't the children more amazed by the Sun and especially the Moon. Which leads me to believe that they had seen the Moon before somewhere.

Background

In the late 12th century, two very strange children came out of an ancient earthwork at the village of Woolpit in East Anglia. They wore clothes of a color and material never seen before, spoke a language nobody recognized, and were colored green all over. Later, when they had learned 'our manner of speaking', and lost their green color, they described a homeland which was no place on Earth. The boy died within a year, but the girl grew up and married. Is this a fairy story, or were the children runaways from some primitive tribe? In the 17th century Robert Burton included them in the astronomy section of The Anatomy of Melancholy, suggesting that they came from another world. Could it be true? Duncan Lunan has located the places in the story and traced the people, who turn out to be real, though mysterious, and very highly connected. The incident at Woolpit was one of a series at linked sites, and seems to have been anticipated by the authorities of the time. In particular, Crown, the King at the time and the Vatican, both sending military forces to surround Woolpit and protect it from outsiders.. The authorities realized the significance of the green children’s presence.

Lunan traces the green girl, traces her descendants to the present day USA, and investigates strange things happening in the sky and other events relating to her 'arrival'. It suggests that in medieval times there might have been mass abductions from Earth, by extra-terrestrials, for experimental purposes, with the knowledge if not the agreement of some of the terrestrial authorities - if so, Lunan suggests, "The X-Files are set in the wrong century."

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aoibhghaire For This Post:

Forest Denizen (21st September 2019), Johan (Keyholder) (14th October 2019), Rosemarie (21st September 2019), Valerie Villars (21st September 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 5 9 LastLast