+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 6 9 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

1. Link to Post #101
    Canada Avalon Member frankstien's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,677 times in 325 posts

Default Re: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

Charles Bukowski's Screams From The Balcony - Selected Letters 1960-1970
    If you love Buk, then this is a must have in your library. Before Bukowski became the literary legend resurrecting poetry from the dead, he spent many years struggling, this tome documents some of this period and it is mind blowing prose of the first most insane order. Want to wake up?--READ THIS.
    "If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Forest Denizen (30th November 2019), Pam (9th December 2019), Rosemarie (27th September 2019), Tintin (20th December 2019), Valerie Villars (5th November 2019), Vicus (16th October 2021)

3. Link to Post #102
    Thanks

Default Re: What are you reading right now and how is it affecting you? (our own book club, maybe :))

Great collections of short stories--

Peter Orner's "Esther Stories"
    Short-short stories of power and imagination, creative, sensitive, and offbeat.

Sherwood Anderson's "Winesburg, Ohio"
    The father of the modern short story with thought provoking tales of characters in a small town.

The Stories of Raymond Carver
    Bare bone minimalist prose, still waters run deep, haunting, funny, they stay with you long after.
    Last edited by frankstien; 5th November 2019 at 02:23.
    "If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Forest Denizen (30th November 2019), Mike (10th November 2019), Pam (9th December 2019), Rosemarie (29th November 2019), Valerie Villars (5th November 2019)

5. Link to Post #103
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

I found this book at the library 2 days ago. I didn't know HBS (author of Uncle Tom's Cabin) lived in my hometown. She lived here in the 1870s. This type of book is out of my wheelhouse but I love it so far. It's very slow paced and easy to read. It's nice to hear one's hometown described in almost a poetic way. Reading this book makes me wish we could do away with electronics and return to these times.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Forest Denizen (30th November 2019), Kryztian (9th December 2019), Mike (29th November 2019), Pam (9th December 2019), Rosemarie (29th November 2019), Valerie Villars (30th November 2019)

7. Link to Post #104
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 times in 146 posts

"War for the Hell of It; A Fighter Pilot's View of Vietnam" 2nd Edition

by Ed Cobleigh (Author)

Catchy title.. I think most Vietnam Pilots feel this way about the war.

Ed, "Fast Eddie," Cobleigh served two tours of duty during the Vietnam air war, logging 375 combat sorties in the F-4 Phantom fighter/bomber. In War for the Hell of It, Cobleigh shares his perspectives in a deeply personal account of a fighter pilot's life, one filled with moral ambiguity and military absurdities offset by the undeniable thrill of flying a fighter aircraft. With well-crafted prose that puts you into the Phantom's cockpit, Cobleigh vividly recounts the unexplainable loss of his wingman, the useless missions he flew, the need to trust his reflexes, eyesight, and aggressiveness, and his survival instincts in the heat of combat. He discusses the deaths of his squadron mates and the contradictions of a dirty, semi-secret war fought from beautiful, exotic Thailand. This is an unprecedented look into the state of mind of a pilot as he experiences everything from the carnage of a crash to the joy of flying through a star-studded night sky, from the illogical political agendas of Washington to his own dangerous addiction to risk. Cobleigh gives a stirring and emotional description of one man's journey into airborne hell and back, recounting the pleasures and the pain. the wins and the losses. and ultimately, the return.

From the Author

Inside the Mind of a Fighter Pilot
    Fighter pilots aren't known for their literary prowess... War for The Hell of it: A Fighter Pilot's View of Vietnam, a deeply personal account of all the fun I had losing the Vietnam War,

My qualifications for such writing missions? I flew the F-104, F-4, A-4, Jaguar, and the F-16. I was an instructor at the USAF Weapons school, the USN Top Gun school, the Royal Air Force Weapons Instructor school, and I also flew with the French Air Force and the Imperial Iranian Air Force, including 375 combat missions. I try to put on the page what it's like to be a fighter pilot, not just what fighter pilots do in the air.

Simple but interesting book... Initially he discusses how the Air Force was attacking targets in bad weather, at low altitude, while running into mountains.. at night. Then Laser Bombs changed things fast.

Good over view of flying fighters for non-aviators.
    Last edited by Perdido; 30th November 2019 at 07:15.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdido For This Post:

Forest Denizen (30th November 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019), Valerie Villars (30th November 2019)

9. Link to Post #105
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 times in 146 posts

I am listening to more audio books.. to avoid the radio drivel as I drive.

Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds

Robin Olds was many things to many people. To his West Point football coach he was an All American destined for the National College Football Hall of Fame. To his P-38 and P-51 wartime squadrons in WWII he was the aggressive fighter pilot who made double ace and became their commander in nine short months. For the pioneers of the jet age, he was the wingman on the first jet demo team, a racer in the Thompson Trophy race, and the only U.S. exchange officer to command an RAF squadron. In the tabloid press he was the dashing flying hero who married the glamorous movie star. For the current crop of fighter pilots he is best known as the leader of the F-4 Wolfpack battling over North Vietnam. For cadets at the Air Force Academy he was a role model and mentor. He was all of those things and more.

Robin Olds (1922-2007) was a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot. A triple ace, he achieved a combined total of 16 victories in the Second World War and the Vietnam War. Born into an army family in Honolulu and raised in Virginia, he was educated at West Point, where he was an All American football player. He fought in Europe during World War II, and was regarded as the best wing commander in the Vietnam War. He was promoted to brigadier general after Vietnam, and also served as Commandant of Cadets at the U.S. Air Force Academy.

The first chapter discusses advanced Pilot Training for WW II.. in the Army Air Corps.. and they Crashed 9 aircraft in one day. Obviously they canceled training for the rest of the day. The casualty losses just in training were high. Then he gets to the losses among Fighters and especially Bombers in Europe in WW II.

One gains an appreciation for the challenges and sacrifices these men made to win WW II.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdido For This Post:

Forest Denizen (30th November 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019), Valerie Villars (30th November 2019)

11. Link to Post #106
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,546 times in 20,693 posts

Amazing read--"The Bone Clocks" by David Mitchell, author of "Cloud Atlas".
    It's about 2 warring groups of "gifted" groups (in the sense of having extrasensory gifts such as telepathy, astral projection, etc.), one Dark, one Light, but from my perspective, it's less sci-fi or fantasy as thinly disguised reality, and it makes me wonder what Mitchell knows.
    The predatory group known as the Anchorites prey on other gifted souls, essentially sucking away their soul energy in order to keep themselves young.
    Like the cannibalistic, adrenochrome-harvesting Illuminati.
    The Light group age normally, but they retain their memories from incarnation to incarnation, and their common goal is to eliminate the Anchorites.
    But it's not the plot so much that kept me reading (it's quite long) so much as Mitchell's amazing writing style. Definitely one of my favorite contemporary authors.
    Mitchell's first novel, Ghostwritten (1999) won the John Llewellyn Rhys Prize (for best work of British literature written by an author under 35) and was shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award. His two subsequent novels, number9dream (2001) and Cloud Atlas (2004), were both shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize. In 2003, he was selected as one of Granta’s Best of Young British Novelists. In 2007, Mitchell was listed among Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People in The World.
    Each breath a gift...

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Forest Denizen (10th December 2019), Franny (9th December 2019), Pam (9th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019), Valerie Villars (9th December 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

13. Link to Post #107
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Interesting coincidence. I just noticed your post after writing my own book review in post #106, and tonight just before I wrote it, as I was reading toward the end of my current read, "The Bone Clocks", I came across a passage foretelling that the future will be a lot like the past.
    Quote Wow. Look at all these books. It’s rare to see so many, these days.”

“Books’ll be back,” Esther-in-Unalaq predicts. “Wait till the power grids start failing in the late 2030s and the datavats get erased. It’s not far away. The future looks a lot like the past.”

Holly asks, “Is that, like … an official prophecy?”

“It’s the inevitable result,” I say, “of population growth and lies about oil reserves.
    The section it's in can be read online starting here: https://bookfrom.net/david-mitchell/...ne_clocks.html
    The more I read and hear about the Grand Solar Minimum, the more convinced I am that the future could indeed look a lot like the past, and that might be a blessing.
    Quote Posted by Strat (here)

I found this book at the library 2 days ago. I didn't know HBS (author of Uncle Tom's Cabin) lived in my hometown. She lived here in the 1870s. This type of book is out of my wheelhouse but I love it so far. It's very slow paced and easy to read. It's nice to hear one's hometown described in almost a poetic way. Reading this book makes me wish we could do away with electronics and return to those times.
    Each breath a gift...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Forest Denizen (10th December 2019), Franny (9th December 2019), Pam (9th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019), Strat (9th December 2019)

15. Link to Post #108
    Thailand Avalon Member Iancorgi's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish I was reading this book:

If anyone has a (free) Pdf link that would be very much appreciated. Alternatively, I'm ready to buy a cheap second hand copy. Thanks.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iancorgi For This Post:

Forest Denizen (10th December 2019), Pam (9th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019)

17. Link to Post #109
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,445 times in 1,007 posts

Quote Posted by Iancorgi (here)
    I wish I was reading this book:

If anyone has a (free) Pdf link that would be very much appreciated. Alternatively, I'm ready to buy a cheap second hand copy. Thanks.
    I searched for the book here but it is not here
    http://https://kupdf.net/search/John%20Blofeld%20My%20Journey%20in%20Mistyc%20China/44
    I am so sorry. I will still ask about her and if I find her, I will notify you.
    Love,Anka
    And all this to be just human.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Forest Denizen (10th December 2019), Iancorgi (9th December 2019), Pam (9th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019), Valerie Villars (9th December 2019)

19. Link to Post #110
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Ian, here you go. There are quite a few used copies for sale on abe books. It's one of my favorite places to find old and rare books.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...ic+china&isbn=
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Anka (9th December 2019), Forest Denizen (10th December 2019), Iancorgi (9th December 2019), Iyakum (9th December 2019), Pam (17th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019), Strat (9th December 2019)

21. Link to Post #111
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Avalon posts of course, well not all of them.
    The Seven Steps to Awakening.
    Has Quotes from Ramana Maharshi-Nasargadat Maharaj --Sankara--Sadhu Om and others
    Only suitable for serious seekers in non-duality "mode".
    Chris

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Steps...s%2C162&sr=8-1

The Seven Steps to Awakening is the most powerful collection of quotes ever assembled on the subject of how to directly experience the true Self whose nature is Infinite-Eternal-Awareness-Love-Bliss and how to bring the impostor self, its tricks and all suffering to a final end in this lifetime. Most books on the subject of Self-realization are written by those who have only conceptual knowledge and no direct experience of the infinite Self. All seven of the sages quoted in The Seven Steps to Awakening lived in the Infinite and their knowledge came from their direct experience of the Infinite Self. The quotes in The Seven Steps to Awakening are doorways to liberation and a loving transmission from the Infinite Self to you. When the impostor self attempts to derail you from your journey to Awakening, reading the quotes in The Seven Steps to Awakening can inspire and encourage you to get back on track. Only the most essential and most powerful quotes that have no distractions or detours were selected for The Seven Steps to Awakening. The first collection of quotes describes how to tell the difference between a conceptual journey and a journey to Awakening. The second points out that the world, etc. is a dreamlike illusion. The third reveals why it is necessary to bring the impostor self to its final end. The fourth is about the importance of increasing your desire for liberation. The fifth is for the purpose of encouraging, inspiring and motivating you to actually practice all seven steps. The sixth is about turning your attention inward. The seventh describes the most rapid, direct and effective method that brings the impostor self, its tricks and all suffering to their final end so that you can remain forever in the true Self whose nature is Infinite-Awareness-Love-Bliss. The Seven Sages quoted are: 1. Nisargadatta Maharaj. 2. Ramana Maharshi. 3. Vasistha. 4. Sankara. 5. Annamalai Swami. 6. Sadhu Om. 7. Muruganar. This book is very helpful for people who are on The Direct Path. This is the second edition.
    Last edited by greybeard; 9th December 2019 at 12:49.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Anka (9th December 2019), Forest Denizen (10th December 2019), Iyakum (9th December 2019), Pam (9th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019), Valerie Villars (9th December 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

23. Link to Post #112
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Forgot to update, I'm still somewhat studying Florida history. Finished the last book and I'm reading this:

It was a cruel place, even for the natives. Still, fascinating read.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Forest Denizen (17th December 2019), Lefty Dave (17th December 2019), Pam (17th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019)

25. Link to Post #113
    Thanks

Just finished--Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises

Just started---Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace
    Last edited by frankstien; 19th December 2019 at 18:40.
    --frankstien

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Forest Denizen (26th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019)

27. Link to Post #114
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Struggling through Swedenborg's Apocalypse Revealed.

Not what I bargained for. Must have been written before he had his revelations...it is quite a tome, that barely says anything worthwhile, being mostly an interpretation of the biblical version of the Apocalypse. Not my cuppa at all. Hoping that toward the end it will pick up, if I can suffer through the rest.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Forest Denizen (26th December 2019), Rosemarie (21st December 2019)

29. Link to Post #115
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,801 times in 2,559 posts

Am presently reading Gopi Krishna "Living with Kundalini". The author had a rather brutal kundalini awakening in, I believe, 1937. He details his life before, during and after the expansion and shifts in consciousness. Its a very captivating, well written read and he manages to give words to the power and magnitude of his transformations for something that has no language. I'm very close to finishing this book and have found it a hard one to put down.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Forest Denizen (26th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (22nd December 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

31. Link to Post #116
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,801 times in 2,559 posts

Just as a P.S. to my previous post, I think Jurgen Ziewe's trilogy of books - "Multidimensional Man", "Vistas of Infinity" and "The Ten Minute Moment" are definitely worth reading. These are 3 wonderful books chronicling Ziewe's out of body experiences and explorations into higher states of consciousness during 40 plus years of meditation. Of all the books written on OBEs (including Robert Monroe), Ziewe's books are my favourites - they are beautifully and poetically written. Here's one of many 5 star reviews that his books have received: 'This book deals with the reality of our life after death, not spirit communication, but actual visits with all sensory perception in tact using Out-of-Body travel. Jurgen Ziewe has spent over forty years refining his OBE skills via a lifelong practice of deep meditation. The author projects his consciousness into parallel dimensions and non-physical reality systems whilst retaining full waking awareness throughout. He probes into the infinite vistas of human consciousness and brings back detailed accounts of his journeys and observations. The reports gathered followed a strict research protocol, where the author interviewed dead people and visited the higher dimensional realities, from the darkest places to the most illuminated regions of cosmic consciousness and realms which are traditionally referred to as 'Heaven'. These are lively, first-hand accounts providing a narrative which is destined to revolutionize old concepts and perspectives.'

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

avatar (19th October 2021), Forest Denizen (26th December 2019), onawah (22nd December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (22nd December 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

33. Link to Post #117
    Language
    English
    Thanks

"The Testaments" by Margaret Atwood, sequel to "The Handmaid's Tale" joint winner of the 2019 Man Booker Prize.
    Set 15 years after the events of The Handmaid's Tale, narrated by Aunt Lydia, a character from the previous novel; Agnes, a young woman living in Gilead; and Daisy, a young woman living in Canada.
    I just finished it and like most of Atwood's novels, it's like a powerful punch to the gut.
    It made my nightmares about Mike Pence becoming POTUS seem even more surreal.
    He is far Right, would probably do all he could to overturn Roe vs Wade, and some are reporting he and his wife are involved in human trafficking.
    Which fits right into the descriptions of the despotic patriarchs of Atwood's Gilead.
    Last edited by onawah; 22nd December 2019 at 18:48.
    Each breath a gift...

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Eva2 (22nd December 2019), Forest Denizen (26th December 2019), Pam (22nd December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (30th December 2019)

35. Link to Post #118
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I generally don't like reading 2 books at once but I'm doing that at the moment. I'm reading this:

and this

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Forest Denizen (26th December 2019), Rosemarie (26th December 2019)

37. Link to Post #119
    United States On Sabbatical avatar's Avatar
    Thanks

Finished a book called "The Gift of Alzheimer's" by Maggie La Tourelle, after watching an interview with her done by Anthony Peake.
    She is a psychotherapist and healer who documented her mother's descent into Alzheimer's disease. It is very uplifting, as she
    and her mother connected on other levels.
    Also finished a fiction book by Alethea Black, a sort of coming of age story. However, she has a fascinating theory about time and space which I am still processing. See her youtube videos - fascinating stuff. Would love to hear feedback from other PA members on their opinion of her ideas.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to avatar For This Post:

Iloveyou (13th January 2020)

39. Link to Post #120
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,267 times in 3,170 posts

Im a bit dyslexic and so having "Seth Speaks" read to me on audio book from Audible . I listened to 5 quantum physics books in this manner as well
    Great for driving.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Patient (30th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (30th December 2019), XelNaga (22nd October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 6 9 LastLast