Thread: Anger: Motivator or Destroyer?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Free Thinker's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Anger: Motivator or Destroyer?

Anger: Motivator or Destroyer?

Anger. Rage. Irritation. Frustration. Annoyance.

The very word and emotion (as well as anything else related to it) brings to mind many things when it comes down to the very concept thereof, mainly of the bad though. People losing their cool and snapping at one another, giving into their fiery and enraged urges to hurt others through either their thoughts, words, or actions, if not all three at once. People unleashing their tempers in order to "make a point", to "show another who's right and who's wrong", to say "you're out of line", and "how dare you!" and so many other things too numerous to mention. All out of the misplaced need or sense to be heard, to make people UNDERSTAND. Understand what, exactly? And are they going about it completely and utterly the wrong way? If so, what is the best way to channel one's anger productively so that one can accomplish something of the good, to not incite violence, hate or misunderstanding, and overall, to not be drained by letting said emotion or feeling yank one around like they're some unwitting puppet on a string?

It's a tough question, made even tougher when one is viciously caught in the throes of said anger, where very little, if any reason or logic is able to get through and alert the person to what they are doing and why this is completely not the answer to anything. In this way, a person who is letting their anger control them and not the other way around, can be just as much a victim as to those they are channeling that anger outward to. Anger in its destructive form serves no one, and only feeds the darkness which enslaves us. How to be aware of this and manage this more coherently?

Well, for one thing, like anything else, there is no simple answer to this. It is a process, a series of stages if you will, in order to learn how to better manage and maintain one's awareness and stay calm in such a situation. To try and see the bigger picture behind why the anger is there in the first place. Is it to warn us of something morally wrong in our midst? Is a person or group shouting or screaming at us and we just want them to shut the f**k up? Or do we just need to blow off some steam about whatever it is that's bothering us? What is the anger (whether it be raw/new anger or old anger/resentment) trying to tell us? How can we best respond in an intelligent and emotionally mature way, and like the highly advanced spiritual beings we have the potential to yet one day become?

It's not easy, and truth be told this article and the entire concept thereof wouldn't even be a thing if it were that simple, easy or straightforward. That isn't the point and never was. Like anything else, awareness is key. Awareness allows us to take stock of the situation, and realize that something is out of alignment, whether that be in our immediate environment, those we encounter in our day-to-day lives, within our own selves, etc. I will not begin to explain or describe the different ways one can control and manage their anger, as I really just would like to talk about the concept in general, and just focus on that for now. Everyone no doubt, is going to have their own ways of trying to deal with the base emotion at hand, no matter what they may be, and what factors are involved there. The idea being to recognize the emotion in the first place the very moment it arrives and be able to channel it positively (to incite change for the better and to motivate), rather than use it in a negative and volatile way, or be manipulated by it, to the end result of it being destructive to any/all involved, including the person who unleashed such to begin with. Such a path only brings about self-defeat in the end, and solves nothing.

For a long time in my life, I have been a slave to my own anger. Kind of goes with the whole package when one is an Indigo like I am, anger being a fundamental part of our spiritual identity. It's how we use that anger that matters. To motivate? Or to destroy and be destroyed by it? Personally, I would go with the first as the correct answer. There is a reason why I never agreed that Anger is one of the '7 Deadly Sins', a topic of which I will get into later, but for now, one thing at a time. Simply having the emotion does NOT and will never make it a sin, as anger is an all-too human thing to feel, especially if said anger is justified to have in the first place, but if one were to do something vile with it, then yes, it becomes a sin and should be treated as such. Simply shoving the burning, sparking feeling under the rug and pretending it doesn't exist is not the answer and never will be.

I could say more, but I feel this is sufficient for now, and would like to know other people's thoughts and comments on the matter, if they have any to share. We can all learn from each other on this, and how to better use Anger as Motivator, not Destroyer.

Thanks for reading.
    "The truth will set us free, whatever that may be."
    "Question everything. Make a path where there was not one before."
    "We are part of the Universe. It's story, is our story."

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Free Thinker For This Post:

Agape (17th May 2021), Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), ExomatrixTV (17th May 2021), Gracy (17th May 2021), Harmony (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Ioneo (17th May 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (24th May 2021), Mashika (17th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th May 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,354 times in 5,697 posts

Default Re: Anger: Motivator or Destroyer?

Great thread idea

I think anger is a great motivator for people who don't allow themselves to get angry very often, and is a great destroyer for people who are naturally more inclined towards anger.

I won't drone on about the Jungian shadow concept too much, as I've already done plenty of that elsewhere on the forum. But simply put, embracing one's anger too enthusiastically is an obvious hindrance, but not embracing it at all can be just as dangerous..just in ways you might not expect. For example, the outwardly angry individual is predictable, whereas the passive-aggressively angry person is unpredictable..and therefore more dangerous in some ways, to him/herself and others.

Personally, I think I could express my anger more. I'm a little pent up, so when I allow that anger in it actually motivates me.

Repressing anger or pretending it isn't there certainly isn't the answer. It will just show up later in a distorted and violent way. The answer, according to Jung, is to integrate it....which means to 1)acknowledge it 2) accept and process it 3) find a way to express it in a healthy way. In other words, make your anger work for you instead of against you.
    Last edited by Mike; 17th May 2021 at 02:25.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Agape (17th May 2021), Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), ExomatrixTV (17th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Harmony (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (24th May 2021), Mashika (17th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th May 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

The founders of the United States referred to government as similar to fire: a dangerous servant.

I reflect on anger in the same light: a dangerous servant.

6. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

There were a couple video clips (or rather I should say scenes from certain TV shows I watch/have watched in the past that I feel should be made into video clips freely available on YouTube) that express this concept somewhat according to the characters and events of those shows.

One, was from the Buffy, The Vampire Slayer Season 2, episode 10, after Buffy meets the newly called Slayer Kendra after her own (temporary) death as the current Slayer. Essentially, the scene had the two of them talking about anger, why Kendra felt that emotions of any kind were dangerous and made her lose focus, while Buffy challenged her on that very same idea. "That's anger you're feeling." She then goes on to say that her anger gives her strength and power to fight evil, a certain fire within. Commenting that a Slayer needs that in their line of work. As long as it's channeled productively.

Two, was from the new "reboot" Charmed of 2018, the scene in Season 3, episode 1, where Jordon and Abigail were talking about his curse - and by extension all the males in his family being cursed to die young at the age of 25, due to his ancestor who was an infamous witch hunter back in the day, having brutally killed a witch, the latter of whom cursed him and his entire family line upon her dying breath due to extreme outrage for being ostracized and targeted just for being who she was. Anyway, that part is clearly anger used in the wrong fashion. However, Jordon's words to Abigail upon what he thinks of this curse that was unfortunately passed onto him, simply for being born in the "wrong" family line as the perpetrator, was this (more or less):

"You think I'm not angry? I am angry every day - but I choose to do something positive about it, to help others." Ie: witches, in a concentrated effort to break his curse and to show the ghost of the witch who is still hanging around, that he is nothing like his ancestor.

One needs to know something about the show itself and how witches are portrayed there, otherwise it might not make much sense if not. In general, witches on Charmed are portrayed as good magical beings - though that's not to say some of them couldn't turn dark and/or vengeful, such as the witch of the past who was put to death simply for being who and what she was. In this case, the real monster was the witch hunter himself, and through his vile actions, it made the very person he was condemning to death just as bad as he was, albeit in a different way.

Really would be nice to actually show what I'm talking about as video clips for real, but oh well.
    Last edited by Free Thinker; 17th May 2021 at 03:00.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Free Thinker For This Post:

Agape (17th May 2021), Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), ExomatrixTV (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (17th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021)

8. Link to Post #5
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Provoking anger in another is like poking an ants nest with a stick-- they rapidly climb up the stick and bite you.
    Anger and frustration seem to need an out but its like a knife -- useful in a kitchen or operating theatre but can be dangerous.
    Its down to intent.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Agape (17th May 2021), Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), ExomatrixTV (17th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (17th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021)

10. Link to Post #6
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Personally, i come from a family with anger management issues, but due to very specific things happening in life throughout

But here's a special commentary about anger

Some/long time ago, i was with someone who was an elder family member, we were checking out some farming land we had back then, and there were some workers there who said there were a lot of animals around eating the crops and such. At that moment or so one of those rats or whatever, ran next to us and hid away on a bush, one of the workers say "kill him, shoot him! It's right there", my elder family member said "no need, let's just throw some rocks at it and it will go away", but this person was very insisting on having the rat shot right then and there, and it turned out somehow, that what he wanted, was to see my elder family member shoot his gun and see it in real time. It became obvious by the way he kept requesting it, almost demanding and trying to manipulate him into doing just that.

At that point, the eyes on my elder family member, turned into a tremendous raging animal, there was a tremendous amount of anger, mostly because he respected like, both animals and human, in ways that are hard to explain, but also because he got angry about someone trying to manipulate him to kill something that was out there just 'being'

The anger was so intense the air felt dense, like it had frozen in place, it was hard to breath, and with every word and step he took, i could feel a tremendous amount of anger directed towards the guy. I felt scared, very honestly, it was out of control. That guy also noticed, and he turned almost yellow or kind of like when your blood goes out of your body lol, and he backtracked so fast...

Anger has sides, but anger, even if sometimes harmful towards another human, is also good for nature, or to animals, since they can't really defend themselves sometimes, and it's a small sacrifice to feel anger against another human, that is trying to harm some animal, just because this animals happens to be there, just "being"

It's not just kind of "black and white" really, all kinds of shades can happen

Quote Posted by Free Thinker (here)
    Anger: Motivator or Destroyer?

Anger. Rage. Irritation. Frustration. Annoyance.

The very word and emotion (as well as anything else related to it) brings to mind many things when it comes down to the very concept thereof, mainly of the bad though. People losing their cool and snapping at one another, giving into their fiery and enraged urges to hurt others through either their thoughts, words, or actions, if not all three at once. People unleashing their tempers in order to "make a point", to "show another who's right and who's wrong", to say "you're out of line", and "how dare you!" and so many other things too numerous to mention. All out of the misplaced need or sense to be heard, to make people UNDERSTAND. Understand what, exactly? And are they going about it completely and utterly the wrong way? If so, what is the best way to channel one's anger productively so that one can accomplish something of the good, to not incite violence, hate or misunderstanding, and overall, to not be drained by letting said emotion or feeling yank one around like they're some unwitting puppet on a string?

It's a tough question, made even tougher when one is viciously caught in the throes of said anger, where very little, if any reason or logic is able to get through and alert the person to what they are doing and why this is completely not the answer to anything. In this way, a person who is letting their anger control them and not the other way around, can be just as much a victim as to those they are channeling that anger outward to. Anger in its destructive form serves no one, and only feeds the darkness which enslaves us. How to be aware of this and manage this more coherently?

Well, for one thing, like anything else, there is no simple answer to this. It is a process, a series of stages if you will, in order to learn how to better manage and maintain one's awareness and stay calm in such a situation. To try and see the bigger picture behind why the anger is there in the first place. Is it to warn us of something morally wrong in our midst? Is a person or group shouting or screaming at us and we just want them to shut the f**k up? Or do we just need to blow off some steam about whatever it is that's bothering us? What is the anger (whether it be raw/new anger or old anger/resentment) trying to tell us? How can we best respond in an intelligent and emotionally mature way, and like the highly advanced spiritual beings we have the potential to yet one day become?

It's not easy, and truth be told this article and the entire concept thereof wouldn't even be a thing if it were that simple, easy or straightforward. That isn't the point and never was. Like anything else, awareness is key. Awareness allows us to take stock of the situation, and realize that something is out of alignment, whether that be in our immediate environment, those we encounter in our day-to-day lives, within our own selves, etc. I will not begin to explain or describe the different ways one can control and manage their anger, as I really just would like to talk about the concept in general, and just focus on that for now. Everyone no doubt, is going to have their own ways of trying to deal with the base emotion at hand, no matter what they may be, and what factors are involved there. The idea being to recognize the emotion in the first place the very moment it arrives and be able to channel it positively (to incite change for the better and to motivate), rather than use it in a negative and volatile way, or be manipulated by it, to the end result of it being destructive to any/all involved, including the person who unleashed such to begin with. Such a path only brings about self-defeat in the end, and solves nothing.

For a long time in my life, I have been a slave to my own anger. Kind of goes with the whole package when one is an Indigo like I am, anger being a fundamental part of our spiritual identity. It's how we use that anger that matters. To motivate? Or to destroy and be destroyed by it? Personally, I would go with the first as the correct answer. There is a reason why I never agreed that Anger is one of the '7 Deadly Sins', a topic of which I will get into later, but for now, one thing at a time. Simply having the emotion does NOT and will never make it a sin, as anger is an all-too human thing to feel, especially if said anger is justified to have in the first place, but if one were to do something vile with it, then yes, it becomes a sin and should be treated as such. Simply shoving the burning, sparking feeling under the rug and pretending it doesn't exist is not the answer and never will be.

I could say more, but I feel this is sufficient for now, and would like to know other people's thoughts and comments on the matter, if they have any to share. We can all learn from each other on this, and how to better use Anger as Motivator, not Destroyer.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Mashika; 17th May 2021 at 07:04.
    Tired

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Agape (17th May 2021), Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th May 2021)

12. Link to Post #7
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Great thread idea

I think anger is a great motivator for people who don't allow themselves to get angry very often, and is a great destroyer for people who are naturally more inclined towards anger.

I won't drone on about the Jungian shadow concept too much, as I've already done plenty of that elsewhere on the forum. But simply put, embracing one's anger too enthusiastically is an obvious hindrance, but not embracing it at all can be just as dangerous..just in ways you might not expect. For example, the outwardly angry individual is predictable, whereas the passive-aggressively angry person is unpredictable..and therefore more dangerous in some ways, to him/herself and others.

Personally, I think I could express my anger more. I'm a little pent up, so when I allow that anger in it actually motivates me.

Repressing anger or pretending it isn't there certainly isn't the answer. It will just show up later in a distorted and violent way. The answer, according to Jung, is to integrate it....which means to 1)acknowledge it 2) accept and process it 3) find a way to express it in a healthy way. In other words, make your anger work for you instead of against you.
    And you still need to be able to produce some anger at the required time, when necessary, not just out of releasing it for pleasure or your own good, so it's healthy to keep a balance of it, but never forget it is part of "being alive"
    Tired

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,354 times in 5,697 posts

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Great thread idea

And you still need to be able to produce some anger at the required time, when necessary, not just out of releasing it for pleasure or your own good, so it's healthy to keep a balance of it, but never forget it is part of "being alive"

Yes, great point!

I think that's partly what I was trying to say, only you said it better.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), ExomatrixTV (17th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (17th May 2021)

16. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Personally, i come from a family with anger management issues, but due to very specific things happening in life throughout

But here's a special commentary about anger

Some/long time ago, i was with someone who was an elder family member, we were checking out some farming land we had back then, and there were some workers there who said there were a lot of animals around eating the crops and such. At that moment or so one of those rats or whatever, ran next to us and hid away on a bush, one of the workers say "kill him, shoot him! It's right there", my elder family member said "no need, let's just throw some rocks at it and it will go away", but this person was very insisting on having the rat shot right then and there, and it turned out somehow, that what he wanted, was to see my elder family member shoot his gun and see it in real time. It became obvious by the way he kept requesting it, almost demanding and trying to manipulate him into doing just that.

At that point, the eyes on my elder family member, turned into a tremendous raging animal, there was a tremendous amount of anger, mostly because he respected like, both animals and human, in ways that are hard to explain, but also because he got angry about someone trying to manipulate him to kill something that was out there just 'being'

The anger was so intense the air felt dense, like it had frozen in place, it was hard to breath, and with every word and step he took, i could feel a tremendous amount of anger directed towards the guy. I felt scared, very honestly, it was out of control. That guy also noticed, and he turned almost yellow or kind of like when your blood goes out of your body lol, and he backtracked so fast...

Anger has sides, but anger, even if sometimes harmful towards another human, is also good for nature, or to animals, since they can't really defend themselves sometimes, and it's a small sacrifice to feel anger against another human, that is trying to harm some animal, just because this animals happens to be there, just "being"

It's not just kind of "black and white" really, all kinds of shades can happen
    I completely and fully agree. Anger, like just about anything else one were to talk about, is a multi-faceted thing. Very few things, if anything at all, are ever that cut-and-dry, of which I was never a fan of the whole "black-and-white-mentality". It doesn't exist as a true reality, only in peoples' minds does it "exist". And even that is extremely squirrely.

It's like thinking pride is a bad thing. It CAN be, depending on numerous factors, but doesn't mean that it is that at its generic core. How f**king boring would life (and existence overall) be if that were so? Ugh. While we do live in a 3D universe, albeit a quickly shifting one in terms of higher vibrational energies, the whole "this or that" would only truly work in a 2D universe. Whether or not that even exists I don't know, but I do know (and feel) that would be a truly alien universe to live in if so. "Alien" in the sense of "foreign" or outright bizarre as h**l, not ET's, in case that wasn't clear.

Nothing is ever that simple. Nothing. And if there is, I can't think of anything really concrete atm to offer on that front. Not sure I want to either, tbh.

Thanks for sharing your story, Mashika.
    Last edited by Free Thinker; 17th May 2021 at 07:40. Reason: forgot a word and a comment

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Free Thinker For This Post:

Agape (17th May 2021), Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), ExomatrixTV (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th May 2021)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,250 times in 4,597 posts

I think of signs of anger as a form of acute awareness of suffering.

It can be ones own but most often it reflects awareness of collective or group suffering. Individual sufferings are comparably much easier to resolve than collective, even global sufferings.

I’ve never been high tempered ( no fevers either) and if no one ever hurt me, I’d never get sad or angry. Even while people did take it on me long term,
    count in my mum, there was no way I could ever express my anger.

With certain type of people who are both dominant and vulnerable, expressing emotion is the worst idea to try and you’ve probably already figured that out yourself because such people are highly reactive and spin out of control or simply “register” your emotion and throw it back at you with manifolds, later only to show “how powerful they are”.

I caused couple of minor faux pas in my life because I did not understand anger and started to laugh at someone who got seriously out of control ( parent, teachers, friends, even unknown people) naively thinking they will be able to detach from their temper tantrum. It works sometimes but more usually, they’d get more angry and snapped back at me. Then it’s better to start running ..

I understand about anger much better now but it’s important NOT TO CULTIVATE.

If it appears there certainly is a reason, alarm , something went seriously wrong somewhere or still going .

Never cultivate anger or hatred. It appears and disappears, just like moments of deep sorrow or moments of joy.

Don’t make it your problem because there is no “healthy way” with anger or expressing it, passing it to others as some kind of “proof of impunity”.

The high risk is that most people won’t accept the “emotional load” and will fail to “sympathise”.

There are many subtle exceptions to the rule, of course as with any other emotion.

But, I have not seen that western psychology would actually have level success with training or expressing people’s endless frustrations or that it would change or benefit the victims of anger in long term.
    It’s a trick and people enjoy expressing their emotions: especially if they’re basically empty of substance.

If person suffers from serious physical or psychological trauma for example, you will find that “getting more angry” is of least of help.

It does NOT help to get angry even for fun sake,
    similarly as someone in state of deep mourning - again, natural following some events- does NOT want to be entertained.

Similarly, as any form of “passion” or seduction would hurt your feelings the most of you’ve just lost your beloved partner.

If you understand in the course of life and under serious circumstances that anger DOES NOT HELP and start dissolving it,
    it may HELP THE WORLD 😄

Anger seems to be part of the oldest neuro-physiological predatory complex humans can entertain ( right before biting your victim ).
    It’s a power show type of behaviour that with some people includes high blood pressure, grinning teeth, puffed muscles, erratic behaviour and almost irrational need “to DO something” about things difficult to change.

People get brain strokes and heart strokes because of the power of their untamed “force” in older age and some end up with partial limb paralysis and many other chronic ailments if they cultivate their emotion inside but never process it.

In either case and no matter how angry anyone gets at you or simply snap,
    keeping safe distance is the first important point.

Angry people aren’t easy to hug even

Keep to your cools at all cost and circumstances, as long as possible.

If you feel the need to shout back do it but be aware how much power can you give out without risking yourself.

Lastly , if you successfully let out some anger and make a shout - or God forbid, throw a small scene- start apologising immediately or soon as possible.

Don’t forget to give deep bow to your angry opponents.

Hope it helps

🙏🌟🙏
    Last edited by Agape; 17th May 2021 at 08:53.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th May 2021)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,936 times in 32,818 posts

Aristotle wrote — very wisely!
    Anybody can become angry; that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is NOT easy.
    Yes, anger can be a powerful motivator. It gets things done. But like having a gun, you better be able to use it accurately, sparingly, with perfect timing, and with a very great deal of control, discipline and restraint.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (17th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), leavesoftrees (17th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th May 2021), Yoda (17th May 2021)

22. Link to Post #12
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,605 times in 5,381 posts

I find anger to be very dangerous. I often find anger destroys higher level functions. In the end, anger is often turned against me.

So what I have learned is it is best to be angry only when I am right. Even then it is best used sparingly.

Otherwise, stray thoughts of anger just fuels itself often resulting in conflagration with unintended, detrimental results. These days I try not to take myself too seriously because there is a lot wrong with the world and worthy of anger but it serves no constructive purpose and leads to depression.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (17th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (17th May 2021)

24. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Anger often gets a bad rep because the great majority of people in the world do not know how to properly handle it and as thus, becomes "bad" and "vile" because of this. Anger turned inwards is said to lead to depression. The deeper the anger/resentment, the deeper the depression, and the more difficult it is to release/transmute it, as well as requiring a longer duration of attempting to do such.

As for me, part of the issue over the years lies in having a parent that is/was all too happy to unleash said "anger bombs" my way. And... I have been known to reciprocate in exactly the same way. Which doesn't help anything and only makes it worse. I have been doing far better with this nowadays, and am glad for it, despite whatever obstacles still deem to throw themselves in my path in order to get a reaction out of me. Sometimes I just gotta react with humor and/or kindness instead, as in the whole "Kill 'em with kindness" or "Kill 'em with humor." Working on both of those still.

Emotions (including anger) are needed/expected to have, especially those of positive ones. Otherwise, one is just a robot/unaware construct, if not.
    Last edited by Free Thinker; 17th May 2021 at 22:13.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Free Thinker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (18th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (18th May 2021)

26. Link to Post #14
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 126,017 times in 20,884 posts

Lightbulb Re: Anger: Motivator or Destroyer?

• Can anger be dangerous when some one has a long history of suppressing it? ... thus did not practice how to use "constructive anger management" ...
    I remember my girlfriend being very upset & angry based upon misunderstandings & miscommunications ... then when I finally could explain what really happened she still blamed me for having these "rollercoaster" emotions/feelings. This is because she does not know how to be constructive angry. Both her parents never showed anger (nor anger management) she feels very threatened if some one is genuinely angry even if it is done for the right reasons.

Some assume when a partner is angry that means days or weeks of silence or worse. I had to teach her that being angry does not mean I stop loving her ... I told her I can be (constructively) angry at the situation not the person as a whole ... a concept she never considered. After a while she saw the benefit of testing/practicing my insights and it worked.

I wonder how many people who committed suicide are often those who can not deal with being angry as it will become a symbol for so much more that is going on in some ones mind and emotional history.

For me "anger management" is a strong motivator to confront myself and/or others if need be, but I always try to avoid exaggerations and avoid using over the top words like: "never" ... "always" ... "nobody" ... "everybody" to make it more dramatic which has almost always an opposite effect on those who you are angry with ... When that happens, you may even feel/sense you are not taken seriously and get even more angry.
    • This is how "constructive anger management" looks like:
    Step 01: Describe the situation as pure & honest without exaggerations without too much subjectivity as you can.

Step 02: Tell that person what the situation does to you ... how it makes you feel ... how it affects you ... etc.

Step 03: Describe how you want or hope to experience it differently next time, come with options how to do things differently that is beneficial for both sides. Learn from step 01 & 02.

Anger can also be a genuine sign that some one deeply CARES and want to change things for the better ... For me: apathy is the ultimate destroyer of relationships.

cheers and good luck

John Kuhles aka 'ExomatrixTV'
    May 17th, 2021
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 22nd May 2021 at 10:38.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th May 2021), Free Thinker (17th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (18th May 2021), Savannah (3rd August 2021)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Reminds me of the parable of the 2 wolves. (The one you feed)

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ricker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th May 2021), Free Thinker (22nd May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (18th May 2021)

30. Link to Post #16
    Language
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ricker (here)
    Reminds me of the parable of the 2 wolves. (The one you feed)

... when you face real injustice (with consequences for you AND your loved ones) and you chose to ignore a part of you that is genuine upset ... that ultimately invites more of the same (or worse) as they can get away with it by you staying passive/obedient (acquiescence).

Ultimately both Wolfs have their pro's & con's.

cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 19th May 2021 at 13:02.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th May 2021), Free Thinker (18th May 2021), Innocent Warrior (18th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (18th May 2021), Ricker (18th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (24th May 2021)

32. Link to Post #17
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

Anger, both a motivator and destroyer. Anger is a destructive energy but some things need to be destroyed.

And what Bill said...

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Aristotle wrote — very wisely!
    Anybody can become angry; that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is NOT easy.
    Yes, anger can be a powerful motivator. It gets things done. But like having a gun, you better be able to use it accurately, sparingly, with perfect timing, and with a very great deal of control, discipline and restraint.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th May 2021), Free Thinker (18th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021), Mike (18th May 2021)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Well said John.

Ultimately, we all usually end up feeding them both at one time or another. I guess the important thing here is maintaining the balance. :-)

Ricker

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ricker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th May 2021), ExomatrixTV (18th May 2021), Free Thinker (18th May 2021), Mashika (18th May 2021)

36. Link to Post #19
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,551 times in 3,482 posts

It is a balance but has nothing to do with the two wolves. The two wolves mention good and evil, which is a moral judgement on anger. I’ve been there and believed in morals but they’re bull**** because they weaken us by curbing our very necessary, natural and practical survival instincts. All judgement is limited, hence inaccurate assessments.

Anger can be harnessed, it can be flowed and used to overwhelm a threat, sometimes. It must be coming from an earnest place and it takes a clear sense and focus to know when to apply it and apply it appropriately, but it can be done. It’s a really keen sense and focus, it’s a precise and measured flow from focus (not to be taken lightly). Most of the anger I’ve expressed in my life has been reactive but on a few occasions I’ve got it right and that’s how it goes, disaster averted without a finger being laid on anyone.

There’s an art to it, it’s an applied flow of energy and it’s not personal and all involved are served by it (unless you think they’ll be fine not having anyone stopping them from killing someone).

If destructive energy can halt destructive actions then who are we to judge anger the way we tend to. The challenge isn’t not to be angry (hence inferring judgement which is beyond our scope of perception to do with any validity) it is to manage it, master it, like anything else that’s a natural part of being human.
    Last edited by Innocent Warrior; 19th May 2021 at 02:40.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th May 2021), Free Thinker (22nd May 2021), Mashika (19th May 2021), Peace in Oz (20th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (24th May 2021)

38. Link to Post #20
    Language
    Thanks

• Balance between "good & evil" ?
    Replace the word good with: "doing NO harm" and evil with: "doing harm" to others ... then what do you call constructive anger management never doing harm to others?

... always questioning assumed narratives ...

ps. am fully aware that some fragile snowflakes assume having opinions can also "harm" hurting their feelings thus calling it "evil" and demand censorship to protect their "safe space bubble" meanwhile refusing to face reality.

cheers,
    John Kuhles aka 'ExomatrixTV'
    May 24, 2021
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 25th May 2021 at 13:08.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th May 2022), Free Thinker (25th May 2021), Sue (Ayt) (24th May 2021)

+ Reply to Thread