1. Link to Post #21
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

Default Re: English homework

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Inappropriate and off topic. I'll ask for this to be deleted.
    But why? It was funny i wanted to reply with a personal experience based on a moment i was on the US some years ago
    Tired

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Hym (6th August 2021), RunningDeer (6th August 2021)

3. Link to Post #22
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hym (here)
    As you say, Mashika, nothing compares to seeing and hearing a person speak.
    We can imitate the sounds so much easier when we absorb the presence of language in person.

Speech naturally carries so much of the color and resonance of our personalities that focusing on the person themselves, without distinction about the technical properties that defines each language and it's differences, usually teaches us more than the mere study of linguistics. I say this to you because you are that much more aware of the heartbeat of a culture, than many.

Also, every person carries a song list in their speech patterns, a rhythm full of personality that we understand when they are speaking in our presence. That awareness can be taught, but I have seen it awaken in many people without much instruction, when they are simply listening and sharing who they are and what their life is all about.

Singing here....
    About the pluses and minuses of language and linguistics, meaning and insight, value and abuse.
    And speaking about English....Good Golly, Miss Molly !!!
    What a cluster fluster of this and that.....

I don't envy anyone learning English from most any other language base, because it is so nuanced and unnecessarily complicated.
    It has been manipulated, sometimes by plan, yet more often by some guy named Stan who was really confused and only codified his confusion by putting it down on paper, and maybe accidentally getting an English degree, 'cuz there wazn't anything else he wanted to do with his life.

When I hear college educated people mispronounce a word, like Kerry saying 'ecsetera' instead of 'etcetera' I wonder what happened there.....and even then I am aware that language can change in the most peculiar ways, often in defiance of any recognizable pattern, and then again I often say F the rules.....

You can see my defiance of anyone restricting my creativity when I deliberately play with the words and the sentence structure as I write, and I am amongst many on this site who do so.

It is the humanity that defines language and gives it life, and not the language that restricts our humanity.....but only if you allow yourself to write freely, which we here recognize that you have always done.

If you can ever get in a way of talking with anyone here who speaks English I think it would do wonders for your understanding of the language, and wonders for anyone who gets to learn Russian or Spanish from you..
    I'm not sure if/when that will happen, right now, i am very insecure about speaking, i talk very very slow when trying to speak English, it basically goes like this: "think in Russian, attempt to translate to English, fail miserably, translate to spanish and figure out how it could go from Spanish to English, then speak Spanglish"

I'm just not good at it yet, so as to start a very basic conversation. But i'm trying hard to get into it now, maybe a year from now, hopefully

I have great regret about not putting the effort as i did to other things, 10 years or so ago, i did not understand how important it really was back then. If i ever get to have children, i'll make sure they don't make the same mistake
    Tired

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Hym (6th August 2021), RunningDeer (6th August 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,024 times in 910 posts

I understand and sympathize with your difficulty converting words from one language to the next.
    However, allow yourself whatever time there is to be made for speaking to someone who speaks English. From now on, do an exchange with them where they learn from you how to speak Russian or Spanish while you learn English.

When you teach and learn at the same time it all progresses at a faster pace. Like I mentioned earlier, listening and asking that is done while teaching and learning with anyone speaking another language makes a big difference.

I do get the need to learn another language when we are younger. When learning language is absorbed before puberty, as both hemispheres of the brain are integrated with language processing until then, it makes not just a second language, but music and other skilled, mind-body activities learned later on in life more successful.
    Last edited by Hym; 6th August 2021 at 22:51.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Mashika (6th August 2021), RunningDeer (6th August 2021)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,929 times in 1,622 posts

English class is over, have a little fun : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcG3hkJ_DIkYES!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Hym (7th August 2021), Mashika (7th August 2021)

9. Link to Post #25
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Vicus (here)
    English class is over, have a little fun : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcG3hkJ_DIkYES!
    That profile picture...
    Tired

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Vicus (8th August 2021)

11. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,443 times in 412 posts

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Quote Posted by Merkaba360 (here)
    I suppose English has to be flexible or is becoming more-so due to becoming a global language. For example, in asia its slightly annoying how they spell some of their names and such. Yes, we can spell many ways - Jasmine, Jasmyn, Jasmin, Jazmin, Jazmine, etc... But you can't just spell however you want. Sometimes its just wrong/illegal. lol I can't think of a good example, but I've seen some that just are not English words at all.

Sometimes the British choice of words or pronunciation makes more sense, sometimes the american one. The brits talk trash about how we hacked the language bla bla. The reality is that the British accent seems to be more appreciated for style/beauty, but the american/canadian accents are for sure better for an international accent. Im from the midwest, i guess its called the non-regional dialect. Fairly slow and very articulate. There is a reason it is how the news essentially speaks. I cant tell you how many asians are surprised and happy to talk to me cuz they can understand way more of what I say than other more difficult accents. Its easier to learn. Although there are a couple british accents that are pretty clear. Also, I observe that there are quite a lot of people who just dont know how to speak very clearly. Whether its lazy or some slurring or other strange anomalies in their voice or something with their tongue or nasal distorting the sound. its hard for me to understand how so many people speak everyday but cant speak clearly. haha
    I found in Mexico, something very odd a few years ago, people calling their kids "brayan", and when i said wait isn't it "brian"? They got offended and said "No! IT.IS.BRAHYAHNN!".. Ok crazy lady, brayan it is....

I also found that it was easier for me to understand people in Tennessee, for some reason, than in other parts of the US, i don't even know why, but i could more or less get it and even if i could not reply, i could have a translation from my sister which was adequate enough from my own words. I felt happy about that, because i could understand real English, not 'movies' one
    Lol. Yea its similar to this identity issues going on these days. Sorry, we need to collectively agree on many things and we can't just all have our own personalized/customized pronouns. They can spell it Brayan, but nobody is going to initially call them Bryan/Brian throughout their life. Its Bray. 'Ay' has only one sound possibility.

Some of the Asians want to transliterate their names to spell it in "lucky" ways. I laugh and ask them how they know which English letters are lucky. Cuz if the luck is connected to the sound, then you need to spell it to sound most accurate. So, if an asian L is lucky, they want to use the English L. But that L is the last letter of their name. Lets say they spell their asian name as MOOL. In their native language, its actually spoken MOON. Sorry, you can spell your name Mool but you arent going to be hearing people call you Moon. lol

It gets even a lot worse than that. Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok. Like the officials cant even use the most logical spelling. Guess how that name actually sounds....

Soo wanna poom. lol V's don't even exist in the Thai language. seriously? The R is totally imagined, no idea what crazy linguist started that bad habit. And its clearly a P sound. And th I at the end....hello?

I mean whatever i dont really care, but being a math and science guy, It just baffles me. If I was all powerful, Id be firing people left and right and removing all their credentials for being fake experts. haha When its impossible to translate, then it can be subjective, but often times , there is a correct and simple way to do it. Maybe I like math because we don't tolerate such sloppiness.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merkaba360 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Mashika (8th August 2021)

13. Link to Post #27
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Hold off! = Stop?
    Hold on = Wait?

The alarm went off = The alarm is turned on and it started ringing
    Water is off = There's no running water
    Tv is off = Tv was shutdown
    Game is on = Let's play!
    Game off = Game is over

"Lights are off? or Lights are out"?
    "The alarm went off and then the game was on"

I think i'm starting to understand that one, but it's even equal to the "i'm on" vs "i'm in" thing
    Last edited by Mashika; 18th October 2021 at 03:58.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (18th October 2021), Sunny-side-up (19th October 2021)

15. Link to Post #28
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,396 times in 4,297 posts

There is no doubt, English can be strange:

There is no egg in the eggplant, no ham in the hamburger and neither pine
    nor apple are in the pineapple. English muffins were not invented in
    England, French fries were not invented in France.

We sometimes take English for granted. But if we examine its paradoxes we
    find that quicksand takes you down slowly, boxing rings are square, and a
    guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. If writers write, how
    come fingers don't fing? If you put the letter "s" at the beginning of
    laughter, you get slaughter.

If the plural of tooth is teeth, shouldn't the plural of phone booth be
    phone beeth? If the teacher taught, why didn't the preacher praught?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what the heck does a humanitarian eat!?
    Why do people recite at a play, yet play at a recital? We park on driveways
    and drive on parkways. And no one rushes anywhere during rush hour.
    You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language where a house can
    burn up as it burns down and in which you fill in a form by filling it out.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the
    creativity of the human race (which of course isn't a race at all). That is why when
    the stars are out they are visible, but when a light bulb is out you can't
    see it. And why it is that when I wind up my watch it starts but when I wind
    up this story it ends?

And some more food for thought:
    Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
    Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
    Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist, but a person who
    drives a race car not called a racist?
    Why are wise men the opposite of wise guys?
    Why do the words overlook and oversee mean opposite things?
    If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that
    electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged,
    models deposed, tree surgeons debarked and dry cleaners depressed?
    Last edited by Mark (Star Mariner); 18th October 2021 at 16:34.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

AriG (18th October 2021), Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Ernie Nemeth (18th October 2021), Hym (16th December 2021), Mashika (18th October 2021), Snoweagle (20th October 2021)

17. Link to Post #29
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    There is doubt, English can be strange:

There is no egg in the eggplant, no ham in the hamburger and neither pine
    nor apple are in the pineapple. English muffins were not invented in
    England, French fries were not invented in France.

We sometimes take English for granted. But if we examine its paradoxes we
    find that quicksand takes you down slowly, boxing rings are square, and a
    guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. If writers write, how
    come fingers don't fing? If you put the letter "s" at the beginning of
    laughter, you get slaughter.

If the plural of tooth is teeth, shouldn't the plural of phone booth be
    phone beeth? If the teacher taught, why didn't the preacher praught?

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what the heck does a humanitarian eat!?
    Why do people recite at a play, yet play at a recital? We park on driveways
    and drive on parkways. And no one rushes anywhere during rush hour.
    You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language where a house can
    burn up as it burns down and in which you fill in a form by filling it out.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the
    creativity of the human race (which of course isn't a race at all). That is why when
    the stars are out they are visible, but when a light bulb is out you can't
    see it. And why it is that when I wind up my watch it starts but when I wind
    up this story it ends?

And some more food for thought:
    Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
    Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
    Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist, but a person who
    drives a race car not called a racist?
    Why are wise men the opposite of wise guys?
    Why do the words overlook and oversee mean opposite things?
    If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that
    electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged,
    models deposed, tree surgeons debarked and dry cleaners depressed?

Thank you for this! Clever and hilarious!!
    “The World is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it.”
    Albert Einstein

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th October 2021), Kryztian (20th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (18th October 2021), Mashika (18th October 2021), Snoweagle (20th October 2021)

19. Link to Post #30
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,929 times in 1,622 posts

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mashika (18th October 2021)

21. Link to Post #31
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Today, one of the funniest things happened, while i went to watch a bit of the C.W. Chanter show

He mentioned some guys name, and i could not get it, so i asked about it

He said that it was written Gorko, and i kind of not got it all all because of the way he was pronouncing it, for me it sounded like "Gorkow"

Then after he said the stuff about the wedding, at around minute 21:55 here, where he says "people yelling out "Gor'ko' or "Bitter'! Then i suddenly got it

However, once spoken, it doesn't truly sound like that It sounds like something like Gor'Kah

In this video, you can hear how it sounds, at 0:26

LMAO, that was fun but a bit odd, it completely threw me off at first. I did not find a way to explain myself quickly to C.W. but he almost got it right when he used the "Gorkow" version i posted when asking him

Sometimes it's so hard to explain fast and efficiently that what is written or spoken across languages may not match at all with the spoken version. And that's how i got into this situation as well!

I should have known he would use English pronunciation, why would I, as hearing that word, assume different? It just kind of threw me out of "English Mode" out of no where lol

Languages are hard sometimes, but so fun to learn

Last edited by Mashika; 16th December 2021 at 04:53.
    Tired

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Hym (16th December 2021), Vicus (18th March 2023)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,261 times in 5,712 posts

Quote Posted by Malisa (here)

That wedding was CRAZY funny. There was one shot of the brides face as she was watching something and she looked like she could not believe what she was seeing?

I admire you and others who are multi-lingual. Thanks for your presence on PA. Your posts are varied and insightful. Still laughing at that wedding party.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Hym (16th December 2021), Mashika (16th December 2021)

25. Link to Post #33
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Delight (here)

That wedding was CRAZY funny. There was one shot of the brides face as she was watching something and she looked like she could not believe what she was seeing?

I admire you and others who are multi-lingual. Thanks for your presence on PA. Your posts are varied and insightful. Still laughing at that wedding party.
    Lots and lots of weddings are like that now. I blame fermented Russian water of the wheat or potato kind

Quote I admire you and others who are multi-lingual. Thanks for your presence on PA. Your posts are varied and insightful
    Very honestly yours are way better all the time
    Last edited by Mashika; 16th December 2021 at 05:57.
    Tired

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Hym (16th December 2021)

27. Link to Post #34
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Red Bull or cranberry juice goes great with Russian water. At least IMO.

Proper pronunciation is funny. I recently made lots of pen pals from all over the world and nobody can say my name right lol. I have an Egyptian (Arab) friend and she got it right the first time. Strange because Spanish speakers have trouble with it but that Arab girl nailed it on the head.

I had a miscommunication going on for months with an Indonesian friend. She didn't understand that 'nah' is a kind of slang for 'no' in the US and I didn't know 'nah' is an Indonesian word lol
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Hym (16th December 2021), Mashika (16th December 2021)

29. Link to Post #35
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Red Bull or cranberry juice goes great with Russian water. At least IMO.

Proper pronunciation is funny. I recently made lots of pen pals from all over the world and nobody can say my name right lol. I have an Egyptian (Arab) friend and she got it right the first time. Strange because Spanish speakers have trouble with it but that Arab girl nailed it on the head.

I had a miscommunication going on for months with an Indonesian friend. She didn't understand that 'nah' is a kind of slang for 'no' in the US and I didn't know 'nah' is an Indonesian word lol
    I don't know what you talking about джеймс

Everyone knows that your name is джеймс, i can pronounce it perfectly, watch me "dzheĭms"! see?

Cranberry is best, for all things! Also with Whiskey

As a side note, in Mexico, and possibly other countries, there is a very fine distinction between both 'mom' and "Mamá" (as used in hispanic countries) and the usual version used in eastern Europe and Russia in general, which is "Mama" without that á at the end, and it turns out that some people take the second one (the eastern European version) as some kind of insult depending on the context it was spoken.

|When you mention it as "Mama" in latino countries, It's an insult when in the wrong context, and you can get beaten up
    Last edited by Mashika; 16th December 2021 at 07:42. Reason: Never ending grammar and typo mistakes
    Tired

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Hym (16th December 2021)

31. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

i can pronounce it perfectly, watch me "dzheĭms"! see?
    I would legit enjoy hearing that lol. I've only made 1 Russian pen pal and haven't physically spoken with him yet, just exchanged messages.

As a side note, in Mexico, and possibly other countries, there is a very fine distinction between both 'mom' and "Mamá" (as used in hispanic countries) and the usual version used in eastern Europe and Russia in general, which is "Mama" without that á at the end, and it turns out that some people take the second one (the eastern European version) as some kind of insult depending on the context it was spoken.

|When you mention it as "Mama" in latino countries, It's an insult when in the wrong context, and you can get beaten up
    That's very interesting, I'll have to ask my Hispanic friends about this. I know mamasita can get you in trouble lol but that hasn't been a problem for me yet. Latinas call me papi which is interesting, I was never taught that in my Spanish studies but being around Spanish speakers I hear that often.

I believe in Pashtun mama means uncle or something similar, but don't quote me on that one.

Unrelated to all this a gal from Iran named Masha contacted me a couple days ago and I thought of you lol.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

33. Link to Post #37
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

i can pronounce it perfectly, watch me "dzheĭms"! see?
    I would legit enjoy hearing that lol. I've only made 1 Russian pen pal and haven't physically spoken with him yet, just exchanged messages.
    Quote That's very interesting, I'll have to ask my Hispanic friends about this. I know mamasita can get you in trouble lol but that hasn't been a problem for me yet. Latinas call me papi which is interesting, I was never taught that in my Spanish studies but being around Spanish speakers I hear that often.
    Watch also for the variations, all related "Mamaste", "Mamas", "No mamar", "No mames", "Mamon","No estes mamando" and who knows how many more, all of those can get you in trouble if told at the wrong time, to the wrong person

Quote Unrelated to all this a gal from Iran named Masha contacted me a couple days ago and I thought of you lol.
    Mine is actually Mariya, or Marija. Well you know, "Mary" or "Marie" and so on

I'm not sure about the Iranian version, but i guess it could probably be related too? But Masha is not the actual name for people named Maria or Mariya, it's like a nick name, like someone named Robert being called Bob or Robby, it's just the same thing

I think Masha for her it's her actual name, it may mean something completely different
    Last edited by Mashika; 16th December 2021 at 09:15.
    Tired

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Hym (16th December 2021), Strat (16th December 2021)

35. Link to Post #38
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Unrelated to all this a gal from Iran named Masha contacted me a couple days ago and I thought of you lol.
    I just got reminded of something lol

My sister is named Sayra Alisa, that's a translation or transliteration to English by the way

In reality she is called Сайра Алиса

So when i brought her to live with me some years ago, i made a "best effort" to translate her name, but failed badly with not understanding how English people would read it

Her name sounds like "Sah eeh rah", but we call her "Say" as in "Sah-ee", like in 'bee'

Yet all English speaking friends started calling her "say" as when you speak about something and "say, what does this cost?" or "say more about it!" or "Don't you say so"

So instead of "Sah-ee" it became "Say", and no one could stop using that lol

Let's just say that she ending up being called say instead of Say, made my life hell because she didn't truly like it, ever

And that's all i have to say about Say
    Last edited by Mashika; 16th December 2021 at 09:31.
    Tired

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Hym (16th December 2021), Strat (16th December 2021), Sunny-side-up (16th December 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2