+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [BOOK] "A State of Fear" | Laura Dodsworth | pub. Pinter and Martin (2021)

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,641 times in 5,520 posts

Default [BOOK] "A State of Fear" | Laura Dodsworth | pub. Pinter and Martin (2021)

My copy of this I've been notified has been shipped and I'm very much looking forward to what else may be revealed inside.

Publisher's website: https://www.pinterandmartin.com/a-state-of-fear

They're an indie publisher so although the book is available on Amazon anyone interested in buying it I'd encourage to shop with P&M.

650 copies have I understand been delivered, one for each Member of Parliament.

I may even scan particular passages of interest as well and share them, as shown here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	State_of_Fear_(extract)_Pennington+variants.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	982.3 KB
ID:	46770

Preview:
    This is a book about fear. Fear of a virus. Fear of death. Fear of losing our jobs, our democracy, our human connections, our health and our minds. It's also about how the government weaponised our fear against us – supposedly in our best interests – until we were one of the most frightened countries in the world.
    But why did the government deliberately frighten us? How has this affected us as individuals and as a country? Who is involved in the decision-making that affects our lives? How are behavioural science and nudge theory being used to subliminally manipulate us? How does the media leverage fear? What are the real risks to our wellbeing?

Ahead of any official inquiry into the handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, Laura Dodsworth explores all these questions and more, in a nuanced and thought-provoking discussion of an extraordinary year in British life and politics. With stories from members of the general public who were impacted by fear, anxiety and isolation, and revealing interviews with psychologists, politicians, scientists, lawyers, Whitehall advisers and journalists, A State of Fear calls for a more hopeful, transparent and effective democracy.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Brigantia (4th June 2021), celticwarrior (4th June 2021), Dreamer148 (4th June 2021), Matthew (4th June 2021), Pam (4th June 2021), toppy (5th June 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,282 times in 4,081 posts

Default Re: The face mask discussion

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    (Extract from 'A State of Fear' by Laura Dodsworth)

I've just scanned page 92 of this excellent book.

Morgan cited here is an Educational Psychologist and a SPI-B advisor:

Attachment 46865
    Here's an interview with Laura Dodsworth, the author of A State of Fear: How the UK government weaponised fear during the Covid-19 pandemic

Last edited by Tintin; 30th July 2021 at 14:19. Reason: Moved relevant text over only. Thanks for sharing the interview.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Dorjezigzag (21st July 2021), muxfolder (22nd July 2021), Tintin (22nd July 2021), wondering (21st July 2021)

+ Reply to Thread