Thread: Arriving at Future dates in Sci-Fi Cinema

1. Link to Post #1
    Australia Avalon Member Ankle Biter's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 times in 368 posts

Default Arriving at Future dates in Sci-Fi Cinema

I'm a big sci-fi fan and this subject is always coming up among friends where someone points out a future date that was depicted in a movie or story and then we get to that date. Well today we've reached another...

In the movie Bladerunner 2049 the child/computer of Rachael and Deckard born today. 10-6-21

(edit: in Oz we do dd-mm-yy hence, 10-6-21 is same as 6-10-21 in embedded image)

While some of the other instances were disappointing (not pointing any fingers Back to the future II), or at times very far fetched, today's one in kind of curious and makes me wonder if we have reached or are close to having AI or synthetic life if they're not the same thing.

Maybe members would like to add thoughts on the above example or some other times we got to a future date shown in pop culture or some that are around the corner.. does it stay firmly in the fiction basket?, or are we already well past that kind of a 'future'.
    Last edited by Ankle Biter; 10th June 2021 at 11:25.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Lao Tzu

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th June 2021), Brigantia (10th June 2021), Did You See Them (10th June 2021), EFO (10th June 2021), ExomatrixTV (10th June 2021), Forest Denizen (11th June 2021), Gekko (12th June 2021), Harmony (24th July 2021), Inversion (10th June 2021), Ioneo (10th June 2021), Matthew (12th June 2021), Mercedes (10th June 2021), O Donna (11th June 2021), selinam (10th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (11th June 2021), Sunny-side-up (10th June 2021), Tesseract (31st July 2021), toppy (10th June 2021), Watching from Cyprus (10th June 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

Default Re: Arriving at Future dates in Sci-Fi Cinema

I think that the dates are put there by them to see how much of our focus gets in that possibility to make it a consensual reality and therefore continue to the next planned possibility and so on. Always playing us for the fools we are likely to be.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th June 2021), Bill Ryan (10th June 2021), Brigantia (10th June 2021), Did You See Them (10th June 2021), EFO (11th June 2021), Forest Denizen (11th June 2021), Harmony (24th July 2021), Inversion (10th June 2021), Ioneo (10th June 2021), O Donna (11th June 2021), selinam (10th June 2021), The KMan (10th June 2021), toppy (10th June 2021), Watching from Cyprus (10th June 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mercedes (here)
    I think that the dates are put there by them to see how much of our focus gets in that possibility to make it a consensual reality and therefore continue to the next planned possibility and so on. Always playing us for the fools we are likely to be.
    I'm picking up what you're putting down friend yeah, and it somewhat touches on foreshadowing that is often present in film and literature that later discovered in the actual story lines but then they do it for real. Like the ultimate breaking of the 4th wall.

If we unpacked the first example in Bladerunner franchise there's likely countless real world tangents. And more than likely dedicated threads devoted to that subject matter. eg. Trans-humanism movement, or the obvious one AI. But if I can point to a different film, The Running Man, that one is eerily on point with a lot of things. Has your typical dystopian future where economy is in shambles, lots of people on streets etc etc but particularly the aspect of People facing judgment for crimes against the all powerful state (going against the narrative) aren't given their fair day in court but rather a trial by media and public opinion. Which in my opinion seems very nail meets head stuff, no place more obvious anytime someone tunes into main stream news.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Brigantia (11th June 2021), Harmony (24th July 2021), Mercedes (11th June 2021), Pam (31st October 2021), Sue (Ayt) (11th June 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,334 times in 635 posts

I always find it quite interesting (and sometimes funny) to look at past scifi shows depicting dates that are also already deep in the past past from our view.

Just take the show "Space: 1999" or the famous Kubrick movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" as examples.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Ankle Biter (12th June 2021), Harmony (24th July 2021), Matthew (12th June 2021), Pam (31st October 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,102 times in 4,060 posts

Cross posted from the memes thread, this came to mind

Quote Posted by PurpleLama (here)
    It is important to maintain the proper perspective.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Alan (26th July 2021), Ankle Biter (12th June 2021), Harmony (24th July 2021), Justplain (12th June 2021), Le Chat (24th July 2021), leavesoftrees (12th June 2021), Merkaba360 (27th July 2021), Open Minded Dude (24th July 2021), palehorse (31st October 2021), Pam (31st October 2021), PurpleLama (12th June 2021), Savannah (24th July 2021), Vicus (31st October 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Since it is set next year and I hardly remember to story/movie at all, I've gone and rewatched Soylent Green. Now I just wanted to share some of the ideas I had about this and how it fits in our timeline.

Immediately out of the gate the parallels are clear as day.. well maybe not identical but still quite close to our current world paradigm. Firstly, the world building shows the vast majority are the poor starving downtrodden, they're the have nots. The haves on the other hand want for nothing. They enjoy lavishness undreamed of and also own 'Furniture'-a dehumanizing nickname for young girls treated as an accessory or commodity that's tied to home ownership (literally house entertainment), as if the separation of classes wasn't already obvious.

Due to the state of the world we see the protagonist, who is working for law and order no less, sometimes doing not so good things but all of this is to have some semblance of a normal life - like enjoying an apple... This is by no means absent in our world today particularly where significant proportions of people lining up for scraps & we have people in positions of responsibility bending the rules to varying degrees. What will it look like if the situation did become very precarious for most of the planet?... as the saying goes civilized society is 3 square meals away from Anarchy they say.

We are in a state where there is growing resentment to the 'experts' and 'elite' who take it upon themselves to present to us as benevolent saviors. While they're not literally feeding us Soylent Green we are getting these experimental jabs, crops grown with every chemical known to man, a multitude of other nefarious schemes which will be well documented on this forum. Out of that resentment comes the push back. World freedom marches are being discussed, wallstreet bets have had it with market manipulation and returned to ape, consumer choice gives weight to the idea of get woke go broke (e.g. Gillette and Coke-Cola experiencing share price drop off when alienating sections of society)

We don't know what happens in the movie once the populace finds out Soylent Green is people. Like we don't know now what will be the tipping point for us or is there even a tipping point? There might be instances where there's a push and a wee push back and this could carry on for some time, past our generation, at which point to the next generation it is just the way it is and it becomes a new playing field with a blank score card and subsequent attempts of shifting of the goal posts, they're playing the long game.

Also quite interesting in the list after Soylent Green is 12 Monkeys, Demolition man and V-for Vendetta, all of which contain common themes like discussed above (Actually looking at the whole list and most still applies). Denial of freedoms, 'us' & 'them", systematic corruption/lies/propaganda. And to go against the grain is to have the 'wrong think'. Imagine a time where you're held accountable, from people other than weaponized Karens, for the thought of a crime.. or crime of thought. Oh wait, what's that movie set in 2054 about?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

avid (24th July 2021), Harmony (24th July 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (24th July 2021), mountain_jim (24th July 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Look up water creamation. Certain municipalities are giving the go ahead to use the product as fertilizer.

A step closer to Soylent Green?

14. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Shout out to John Carpenter, he saw it coming way back in 88. Do we even need the glasses anymore?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Pam (31st October 2021)

16. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Slightly jumping the gun in the timeline image post by Mathew, 2027 Children of Men.

Somehow this film has slipped under my radar and I've not seen it. Yet, quick look up at the plot on and we see it dealing with issues like..

- Infertility brought about by disease affecting the world. (lots of chatter about this as possible side effect of the vax)
    - Heavy handed propaganda tactics by government in futile attempt to manage the crisis. (Yes)
    - Masses of refugees fleeing regions succumbed to local chaos, ushered to camps. (new "Wellcamp" facilities in Australia recently built)
    - Assisted suicide for weak & elderly. :/
    ( cherry picked from this source)

... you get the gist, or maybe you've seen it and can better highlight the comparisons to 2021 but at a glance it sure feels like it will hit different than when released in 2006.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ankle Biter For This Post:

Johan (Keyholder) (31st October 2021), Pam (31st October 2021)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

Quote Posted by Ankle Biter (here)
    Slightly jumping the gun in the timeline image post by Mathew, 2027 Children of Men.

Somehow this film has slipped under my radar and I've not seen it. Yet, quick look up at the plot on and we see it dealing with issues like..

- Infertility brought about by disease affecting the world. (lots of chatter about this as possible side effect of the vax)
    - Heavy handed propaganda tactics by government in futile attempt to manage the crisis. (Yes)
    - Masses of refugees fleeing regions succumbed to local chaos, ushered to camps. (new "Wellcamp" facilities in Australia recently built)
    - Assisted suicide for weak & elderly. :/
    ( cherry picked from this source)

... you get the gist, or maybe you've seen it and can better highlight the comparisons to 2021 but at a glance it sure feels like it will hit different than when released in 2006.
    I highly recommend it. It is very well done. I believe we are just beginning to see the initial manifestations that may make this movie more of a documentary than a sci fi film.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Ankle Biter (1st November 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (31st October 2021)

+ Reply to Thread