Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Osteoporosis induced by anorexia - help

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Default Re: Osteoporosis induced by anorexia - help

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I know very little about this, I'm afraid, and I've never had any friends, or family members of friends, who've crashed into this.

But as best I understand, this is really a mental health issue. It's fundamentally all about self-esteem and self-image. And many anorexics won't acknowledge there's anything wrong with them, so they won't help themselves in any reasonable way.

Supplements won't make any difference, as an anorexic won't take them. They won't take anything. That's the problem. One might have to resort to trickery of some kind, such as putting something in their water (because anorexics do drink).

As best I know. counseling (not psychiatric drugs!) is the only real way out of this, but first the person suffering has to acknowledge that they need help. That's the thing to address, if at all possible, and then steps can start to be taken that may make a difference.

Thanks, Bill.
    She knows that she has a mental issue but she can't help it.
    We could not trick her, she is very, very smart (she just became an astrophysicist and she will start a Ph.D. in astrophysics in Sweden later this year).
    We know that the salvation has to come from herself (and she knows it too) but it's very hard to fight with this mental issue.
    I was just hoping that anyone here could have a quick solution for her osteoporosis.
    Last edited by toppy; 14th June 2021 at 06:18. Reason: Grammar

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to toppy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (14th June 2021), Jayke (13th June 2021), Stephanie (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Hi Strat,
    Thank you.
    We are seeing special therapists for 8 years and of course we have asked for help from other recovered anorexic girls in various forums. Nothing worked. That's why we are so desperate. She has such a bright future in front of her but there is this big question mark of health.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to toppy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (14th June 2021), Stephanie (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    • To The Bone:

A young woman, dealing with anorexia, meets an unconventional doctor who challenges her to face her condition and embrace life.

torrent

Ellen is a 20 year old woman struggling with anorexia nervosa. In the midst of family problems and her own fears, she is accepted into a group home run by an unusual doctor. Through the people she meets and the journey she takes, Ellen follows a path of self discovery and acceptance that will lead her to a surprising place she never would have thought possible

Did you know:
    • The 28-year-old actress [Lily Collins] opened up about the moment in an interview with The Edit about the time she was complimented on her weight loss while filming the film. "I was leaving my apartment one day and someone I've known for a long time, my mom's age, said to me, 'Oh, wow, look at you!'" Lily said. "I tried to explain [I had lost weight for a role] and she goes, 'No! I want to know what you're doing, you look great!' I got into the car with my mom and said, "That is why the problem exists.
    • Ellen: People say they love you. But what they mean is they love how loving you makes them feel about themselves.
    User reviews110

Top review:

6/10 To people who have suffered with eating disorders...
    Do NOT watch this if you have suffered from an eating disorder. It is vert difficult to handle even if the disorder has long been recovered from. The movie weirdly enough made me want to stop eating again. I had to stop watching it halfway through. I do NOT recommend! However, for people who have not suffered from eating disorders, please do watch! It helps people gain a better understanding, which is why I gave it a 6/10.

source
    • Sundance 2017 Red Carpet - To The Bone:

• “There is no point why we live” — scene from To The Bone (2017):

I feel like he wasn't even acting there, like thats just the hurt Keanu Reeves channeling his life into this scene.

8 months ago quote:

This scene. this scene is my life. ive been anorexic for 2 years, and i know that what my therapist says is true, but i still wait for something to "save" me from myself. i know im the only one who can help myself but i cant. i only feel safe when i stay away from things that can hurt me (going out, socializing, falling in love, getting a hobby) and try to be in control by starving myself. controlling what goes in my mouth gives me a false feeling of safety and relief. ive tried to recover many times, and every time i relapse i feel like im coming home after a long and exhausting day at work, but 100 times more intensely. i know it will kill me one day and i dont want to die. i just want to be safe. it also has to do with the fact that i refuse to grow up. during my childhood i had two loving parents, unconditional love and attention, i was safe and small and clueless and everything was fine. so instead of trying to be strong and start living and growing as a person, im trying to get that back. be smaller. have my family's attention. it sucks. i know exactly what i do wrong, but i dont want to leave it. im scared. i havent been happy or excited in years because while i try to keep myself away from pain and disappointment, i also keep myself away from good things, like the doctor said in the movie.

unquote
    • ► Eli — Breathe | To the Bone:

• Meet the doctor who helped inspire a controversial Netflix movie about anorexia.
    • To the Bone Writer-Director Marti Noxon on Making a Movie About Anorexia
    When you have a Soul to Soul connection ... you can talk directly to the core of the problem: and that is (mostly) Fear ... especially anticipatory social phobia ... Anticipatory Anxiety connected to how you see/view/judge yourself ... For this there is no easy answer and I wish it was/is.

I wonder how "Spiritual Guides" and genuine Psychics respond to this dilemma.

Lost my Soulmate Iris in December 2019 who committed suicide because of (among others) having a General Anxiety Disorder ... She felt safe enough to talk about this problem in 2014 when I was in Germany on vacation with her ... Treated her with respect & 100% focused attention not acting weird about it and take her seriously. She knew I am Near Death Experiencer and have no fear of death. This was one of the reasons she opened up to me.

I can write a book about it what I tired to do to help her ... her parents repeated over and over she had to learn how to be happy without a relationship first before getting a new relation with somebody.

We tried so many things, therapies, workshops etc. eventually I decided to let her be without me for 1 year to be sure it was not me that is the cause she can not go out of her depression. Her friends & family urged her to be alone first for a while and try to find her own path. Not long thereafter she was gone

Very sensitive Souls need other kind & empathic Souls who can see her without any programmed behavior but 100% authentic & genuine connection and having enormous patience where you can feel safe to be yourself ... This is in my view the key for healing.

John
    Thank you, John.
    For a couple of years I was trying to see that movie but I can't.
    I'm living it every day.
    I just don't know what to do to help her to get out of this spiral of destruction.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to toppy For This Post:

Agape (14th June 2021), Bill Ryan (13th June 2021), ExomatrixTV (13th June 2021), Franny (15th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (14th June 2021), Jayke (13th June 2021), Stephanie (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    What about cheese ? Try different types of cheeses as they’re healthy, easy to eat and high on organic calcium.

Calcium supplements distributed by big pharma, sometimes in high doses cause further anorexia as they’re not good for stomach and have many side effects.

Also many vegetables are naturally high on calcium such as beetroots. Pick things that are actually tasty and healthy option at the same time.

I think there has to be bigger reason for osteoporosis increase through last 50 years in many advanced economies, such as reported fluoridation of water -

you can also supplement calcium in good choice of mineral water bottles.

Beware of consumption of too many leaf vegetables in long term, can cause demineralization.

🍀
    Thanks, agape but no chance. She is not eating cheese, it contains too much fats.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to toppy For This Post:

Agape (14th June 2021), Bill Ryan (13th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (14th June 2021), Stephanie (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,058 times in 10,080 posts

I am familiar with osteoporosis and follow a daily and unstrenuous stretching routine concentrating (in my case) on the spine and legs. I got the routine from the Atlanta Falcons but any standard athletic warmup is fine. The point is to do it, and NOT overdo it. Kneading and massaging muscles for short periods of time may be helpful. Vitamin D, sunlight, and grounding cannot hurt. Maybe you have tried the high protein drinks designed mainly for old people like Ensure or Boost.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Agape (14th June 2021), Bill Ryan (13th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (14th June 2021), Stephanie (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

11. Link to Post #26
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    Sorry to hear your stress.

First thought is Kombucha, It has many benefits for the body and most importantly the Gut.

Gut cause of all ill health ?

Plus Kombucha and be made to taste like soda pop, fizzy drinks ect.

It might be a start in the right diction, I do hope so.

Good luck, here have some

There is a post in Avalon already somewhere, whit title like this "Gut cause of all ill health"
    Thanks Sunny side up but even if I am drinking kombutcha for ore than one year, she will not drink it. Everything that she eats or drinks has to be measured in kcal so it's impossible to show her how many kcal are in kombutcha. So it's dead from the start.
    Last edited by toppy; 15th June 2021 at 07:24. Reason: Grammar

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to toppy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th June 2021), Franny (15th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (14th June 2021), Stephanie (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,204 times in 4,590 posts

Quote Posted by toppy (here)
    Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    What about cheese ? Try different types of cheeses as they’re healthy, easy to eat and high on organic calcium.

Calcium supplements distributed by big pharma, sometimes in high doses cause further anorexia as they’re not good for stomach and have many side effects.

Also many vegetables are naturally high on calcium such as beetroots. Pick things that are actually tasty and healthy option at the same time.

I think there has to be bigger reason for osteoporosis increase through last 50 years in many advanced economies, such as reported fluoridation of water -

you can also supplement calcium in good choice of mineral water bottles.

Beware of consumption of too many leaf vegetables in long term, can cause demineralization.

🍀
    Thanks, agape but no chance. She is not eating cheese, it contains too much fats.

What can she eat though ?

I don’t think there is any quick fix for osteoporosis if the person will fundamentally oppose remineralizing their bones. Just look at it practically.

Some of us enjoy vanishing ..

🌸

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th June 2021), Franny (15th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (14th June 2021), Stephanie (14th June 2021), toppy (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,027 times in 910 posts

I was reading this thread, Toppy, when a musical documentary on the Carpenters came on our public t.v. station, PBS.
    This contains the beautiful and tragic story of Richard and Karen Carpenter, a brother and sister act you likely know about.

(I'm listening to Karen singing Bless The Beasts and The Children, from the movie of the same name, directed by Stanley Kramer. I met Bill Mumy at the screening he had of the film, a director friend of mine, a fellow student at university, invited me to see. All I remember much was how the song fit in, with Karens beautiful voice... and seeing Bill with long hair, like the rest of us.)

An integral and undeniable part of the Carpenters story is Karen dealing with the anorexia that finally took her life. I see the synchronicity and am listening to the story as I write this.

It made me think of all the things people do that are not healthy, physically, nutritionally, mentally and socially. So many of them are very talented, a note which shows a capacity for great self healing.

It also reminded me of some of those things I and some others have done, it seems forever, things that follow a natural flow of awareness about eating, resting, fasting, etc..Here is one of those things.....

As a fighter, no matter what the conflict or challenge is, it is common to eat very, very, very slowly before engaging. My friends always comment about this habit of mine, and I remind them to slow down and enjoy their food, get it chewed up well, until it is almost liquid. I feel it always giving me strength and more will power, all in a very quiet, relaxed way.

I don't know if this will help her, but one of the most connective habits we can have in our lives is taking the time to eat so slow that it takes 30 minutes or so to eat the amount of food that fills up only a palm full in your hand. It gives an amazing amount of awareness and calm....And here my words do not do the practice justice. Try it yourself and tell us what your experience is. Your daughter will get it immediately, once she experiences it.

I know it can temporarily reverse depression in just one sitting, tho by no means being a permanent or complete solution to the dismissal of self-worth that is the marker for anorexia. I've seen it do wonders in a variety of stressful situations.....

I know this because i know of a young soul persecuted by his parents, who locked himself in his room and somehow knew to do this one thing. Eat very, very slowly.

Tho I know it from a lifetime of a natural trait and a habit i practiced in the evening meal, or palm meal I called it, the day before any important test, this young man used it to relieve his thoughts of suicide and of the self abuse he had just started.

When I told him that it was an ancient practice, one used by warriors and adepts alike when facing an impending or lingering danger to life itself, his whole demeanor changed.

He was comforted that he wasn't alone. His breathing changed. The look on his face was one of strength. I saw his eyes looking into the future, as a warrior would, in his own way.

Sometimes it's as easy as choosing to breathe deeper, setting a time for doing a rhythmic practice before the day gets going. Remembering, thru those deep breaths activates the same strengths.

As I have a habit of eliciting these personal details, I have long since not questioned why my ears get these blessings to hear, except that people know I will keep the identity quiet, while I reveal what I see as the heart of the experience. Even if there is not a personal success, tho there most often is, they know at least that someone, somewhere will benefit from it all.

Astrophysics! Starseed indeed!

What nourishes a star?
    And we know stars have, on average, long lives.

In astro cosmology we understand the interconnectivity of this plasma universe, where all galaxies touch each other. These are the unknowns we are all beginning to define, answering many things our souls, our intuitions have always told us about, even if it is just some unspoken truth that has bugged us for so long.

Astrophysics.....You gotta live well and long at this time,
    Now that so many barriers are being shattered in the fields that astrophysics cover....What an interesting choice for someone to make at this time in the history of that one scientific field...... ...... ............... .. ..... ......... .

By the way, at times numbers, birth numbers and the challenges that are really the gifts of the interrelationships that make up the quantum dynamics each soul has within this little world, sometimes reveal tendencies and habits that can be attributed to those core birth markers....

Time and space can be folded and rearranged to meet the need.
    What seems to be vast, empty space is full of energy and it can be revealed when we use an optic that sometimes needs to be invented, by us.
    Last edited by Hym; 14th June 2021 at 05:37.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Anka (17th June 2021), Bill Ryan (14th June 2021), Franny (15th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), iota (14th June 2021), Stephanie (14th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (15th June 2021), toppy (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

17. Link to Post #29
    Moderator/Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 7,472 times in 783 posts

Dearest Hym,
    Just wanted to say how gently you touched a very delicate subject,
    so softly and intuitively.💖🙏🏻

Maybe the emotional, physical and spiritual side need a helping hand in knowing what she feels is her purpose.

For now lots of mineral water and times spent in nature,
    and amongst trees that resonate with her, swimming in the sea or natural water... little steps at a time.

All my loving, healing blessings to toppy and her lovely daughter,
    and to all the sensitive, creative and beautiful people whom express
    in their own special ways.

💖

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th June 2021), Franny (15th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (14th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (15th June 2021), toppy (14th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

19. Link to Post #30
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 times in 159 posts

I wonder if transdermal magnesium may be helpful if oral is difficult. Very best of healing wishes.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anna70 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th June 2021), Franny (15th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (15th June 2021), Stephanie (15th June 2021), toppy (15th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

21. Link to Post #31
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,168 times in 218 posts

Dear Toppy I have no 'sage' advice except to say 'a trouble shared is a trouble halved'

I recently shared a very personal experience and while it won't fix the situation all I can say is that I felt Avalons heartfelt intentions which made the situation at least a little more bearable.

If there is a way to end this situation then you are now a lot further down the path...

Heartfelt HUGS x
    Last edited by EarthGirl; 14th June 2021 at 23:32.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EarthGirl For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th June 2021), Franny (15th June 2021), Harmony (15th June 2021), Hym (15th June 2021), Stephanie (15th June 2021), toppy (15th June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Stephanie (here)
    All my loving, healing blessings to toppy and her lovely daughter,
    and to all the sensitive, creative and beautiful people whom express
    in their own special ways.

💖
    Thank you, Stephanie.
    We appreciate all the help we can get.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 15th June 2021 at 18:55. Reason: fixed quote formatting

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to toppy For This Post:

Anka (17th June 2021), Bill Ryan (15th June 2021), Harmony (7th July 2021), Hym (15th June 2021), Stephanie (7th July 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,027 times in 910 posts

And Toppy.....
    Here I am finally recognizing your avatar, how many years after you posted it?

A stargate is what a mother is....For only thru her....

A Stargate that created a Starseed now searching to find her way...

And if there have to be more than a few attempts...
    Well, there's some cool water there beyond the end of the pier....
    It'll be fun either way....and refreshing.

It is no coincidence that she's a star gazing scientist.

May she find those worlds while she's here,
    And may those worlds find her....
    In health and happiness...

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Anka (17th June 2021), Bill Ryan (7th July 2021), Harmony (7th July 2021), iota (16th June 2021), Stephanie (7th July 2021), toppy (21st June 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

27. Link to Post #34
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,345 times in 5,388 posts

My 24 years old daughter has anorexia nervosa for 10 years now and she was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Because anorexia is the cause of it the doctors can't prescribe any drugs, the best treatment is for her to start to eat normal, which is not going to happen.
    Does anyone had the same problem or know about it and can give me some advice?
    Are there some treatments to it?
    Many thanks!
    Toppy

I can recommend this remarkable young woman Hope Virgo with whom I worked at the Alzheimer's Society in London about five years ago or so now, and her book 'Stand Tall Little Girl'. She really has had quite a battle over the years and is one of the bravest and kindest souls I've had the pleasure to meet.

Although I've yet to read her book I do wonder whether some of what she shares in it may help in some way with your daughter's situation. Hers is an inspiring tale of triumph over adversity.

Here she is in a published interview in today's Guardian newspaper:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ump-the-scales
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th July 2021), Harmony (7th July 2021), Stephanie (7th July 2021), Sue (Ayt) (7th July 2021), toppy (1st August 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

29. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member graciousb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 times in 149 posts

My 24 years old daughter has anorexia nervosa for 10 years now and she was diagnosed with osteoporosis. Because anorexia is the cause of it the doctors can't prescribe any drugs, the best treatment is for her to start to eat normal, which is not going to happen.
    Does anyone had the same problem or know about it and can give me some advice?
    Are there some treatments to it?
    Many thanks!
    I do have some experience with this, I had food issues as a young person, and also due to some medications I had to take I developed osteoporosis myself, in my 50s (now in my 60s). I started life with genetically low bone mass though. I've had approximately 12 different fractures, some very serious, since I was 14.

There is something I use that DOES help (some science behind it), which is vibration plates. There are affordable versions, you stand on them for 10 or 20 minutes a few times a week. That and the obvious things like weight bearing exercise and good diet and avoiding things that leach calcium. She can at least halt the progression so it doesn't get worse.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to graciousb For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th July 2021), Stephanie (8th July 2021), Tintin (8th July 2021), toppy (1st August 2021), Unicorn (8th July 2021), Victoria (23rd July 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2