+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you had a one-way ticket to any year, what year would you choose?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Default If you had a one-way ticket to any year, what year would you choose?

I'm thinking 1967. It was the peak year for popular music. We had most of the important technology of today (TV, air conditioning, cars, phones, etc.). With some bell bottom pants and mutton chops, I could be quite comfortable living in 1967. :-)
    Last edited by TomKat; 13th June 2021 at 15:54.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Antagenet (15th June 2021), avid (13th June 2021), bennycog (13th June 2021), Bill Ryan (13th June 2021), Bluegreen (13th June 2021), Brigantia (13th June 2021), Ewan (14th June 2021), I am B (13th June 2021), Ivanhoe (15th June 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (13th June 2021), Kryztian (14th June 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (13th June 2021), mountain_jim (14th June 2021), Rosco1 (14th June 2021), selinam (13th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,758 times in 2,555 posts

Default Re: If you had a one-way ticket to any year, what year would you choose?

I would look to the future - 2050 - I can't think of a past year I would (personally) want to return to.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Antagenet (15th June 2021), bennycog (13th June 2021), Brigantia (13th June 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (13th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (13th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021), ZenBaller (13th June 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,978 times in 1,342 posts

Default Re: If you had a one-way ticket to any year, what year would you choose?

1977 to go and sort my teenage self out, as that's when I started to go off the rails; feeling totally inadequate, not fitting with the 'normal' crowd and then wasted my talents and opportunities. I'd also tell her to ignore her mother's disapproval and go deep-diving into spiritual matters, and to try to go to India.

If I had dared to be different, how things might have turned out differently... but you were very much pigeon-holed back then and off-beat paths and opportunities weren't explored. In fact, they were actively discouraged in my teenage milieu.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Ewan (14th June 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (13th June 2021), Rosco1 (14th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (13th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

I assume I would go back with the knowledge I have now? In that case I would go back to 1962, the year my Mum died. So I could say goodbye.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

avid (13th June 2021), Brigantia (13th June 2021), DaveToo (15th June 2021), Eva2 (13th June 2021), Ewan (14th June 2021), Nasu (15th June 2021), Rosco1 (14th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (13th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,502 times in 4,311 posts

It really is a toss up - but I guess I'd need a coin with about 15 sides though .

What occurs to me first is approximately AD 25, Judea. I wouldn't presume to seek out a direct audience with the man, although that would be most tempting, but to observe his works from a distance would in fact suffice. I would then do my very very best to achieve literacy in Aramaic, before compiling an accurate chronicle of his ministry, his every word and deed, up until the events of his death/resurrection. I would do this for posterity. Perhaps I would hide the manuscripts with the Dead Sea Scrolls, which would be discovered in 1947.

Alternatively, Mycenae, around the 12th century BC (although it is near impossible to narrow down an exact date). Ancient history, particularly Greek history in this period, fascinates me no end. The first thing I would tackle as a chronicler of this age (other than learning Mycenaean Greek of course and the ancient script Linear B, certainly no straightforward task!), would be to zero in on the geopolitical entanglements that led up to the Trojan War. We have such a marvellously rich account of those events from Homer, but I want to witness it first hand, and see with my own eyes the real Helen and the real Paris, the real-life Odysseus, Achilles, and Agamemnon and so on - if they really existed. I can think of few things more thrilling than the idea of bearing witness to epic history, with your own eyes, and recording what actually, really happened.

And the construction of the pyramids, of course. But what year? It could be 2,500 BC or 10,500 (I lean more towards the latter certainly). Whenever they were built, simply to see them brand new in all their stunning glory would be beyond amazing. It would inspire in me nothing short of ecstatic wonder - only beaten, I think, by discovering the secrets they hold. Not just the building technology/techniques employed in their construction, but the hidden chambers and tunnels beneath, indeed entire original purpose of the complex.

And then even further I would wish to go. A.T.L.A.N.T.I.S. I need say no more.

For more modern history, I wouldn't know where to start. One idea is certainly New Mexico, the outskirts of Corona, 1947. I'd basically camp out in the desert with a bunch of telescopes and cameras to see what really happened. I'd also have the luxury of at least of couple of days alone with the wreck before the army show up.

Another candidate would be say, Dallas, and the spring time of 1963. I would need those months of prep, and probably some modern equipment, to get to the true bottom of the conspiracy to assassinate JFK. Yeh I'd bug Oswald and his handler DeMohrenschildt, and Ruby, also Johnson, Bush snr, Hoover, and multiple others for the days and weeks leading up to November 22nd. Exactly how, I've no idea, but this is just a thought experiment. Also Dealey Plaza, including the Book Depository, would bristle was a hundred (concealed) digital cameras. What really happened, I would absolutely find out.

And I have a ton of other ideas... I've wanted a time machine since I was about 5 years old (can thank Doctor Who for that). So trust me when I say that the premise of this thread is not a new idea to me. I've been thinking about this stuff my entire life.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Antagenet (15th June 2021), Bluegreen (19th June 2021), Brigantia (13th June 2021), Eva2 (13th June 2021), Ewan (14th June 2021), Ratszinger (14th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (14th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,279 times in 1,399 posts

Oh the mid 60's for sure so I could live 1969 and still have air conditioning!
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Brigantia (14th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (15th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Netherlands Avalon Member mokosh's Avatar
    Thanks

I would go back to 1960 when I splashed around in a pool of water on the roadside after heavy rainfall. Oh those heart warming simple things.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mokosh For This Post:

Brigantia (14th June 2021), Ratszinger (14th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (15th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 77,641 times in 8,594 posts

Another vote for mid-late 60's, in San Francisco, so I could experience the Beatnik-to-Hippie transition and the flowering of the primary psychedelic music movement from ground zero - Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, Big Brother with Janis, It's a Beautiful Day, Santana, New Riders of the Purple Sage, etc.
    Last edited by mountain_jim; 14th June 2021 at 14:24.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Brigantia (14th June 2021), Ivanhoe (15th June 2021), mokosh (14th June 2021), Ratszinger (14th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (15th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member RedX's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Another candidate would be say, Dallas, and the spring time of 1963. I would need those months of prep, and probably some modern equipment, to get to the true bottom of the conspiracy to assassinate JFK. Yeh I'd bug Oswald and his handler DeMohrenschildt, and Ruby, also Johnson, Bush snr, Hoover, and multiple others for the days and weeks leading up to November 22nd. Exactly how, I've no idea, but this is just a thought experiment. Also Dealey Plaza, including the Book Depository, would bristle was a hundred (concealed) digital cameras. What really happened, I would absolutely find out.
    There is a great Novel by Stephen King that does exactly what you want to do. It is a fascinating read, but long. Its called 11/22/63.

If you're in the UK, I can post it to you.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedX For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (14th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (15th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,502 times in 4,311 posts

Thanks, already read it. Twice. I fell over myself to buy it when it came out.

It's actually a really really good novel, although surrounding the details of Oswald and the assassination he got a few things patently wrong - although he does state in his foreword (iirc) that he deliberately steered clear of any 'conspiracy theories'.

That was ok as far as I was concerned, as the assassination itself did not end up being the central theme. It perhaps would have overcomplicated and therefore ruined the entire plot.

I recommended this to a relative, who usually only enjoys crime novels - a lot of them, and for many years, so a voracious reader - but had never read King or anything sci-fi before. When she had finished she told me it was probably the best book she had ever read in her life.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

RedX (15th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Ed Dawson's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

As an adult, or my adult consciousness and knowledge enter my younger self?

As an adult I'd go back and murder Karl Marx before 1848. Then get Alois Hitler Sr. (Schicklgruber). That might save many 10s of millions of lives.

Return to my younger body: go to six years old and do a few things different over the years from that point.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Dawson For This Post:

Antagenet (15th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (15th June 2021)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,951 times in 2,389 posts

I'd like to go to the Americas and learn about the mound builders and their philosophies, I'd have to trust is some dodgy history to pick an accurate date I fear.

Failing that, everything Star Mariner mentioned above. Would also enjoy a future date as a reasearcher of Earth History where I had the tech to view 'life on earth' as rapid cycles - to really trace the history of man, find out just how ancient we are and if there has been interference. Would also discover about Bigfoot that way.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (15th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Wind (17th June 2021)

27. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,971 times in 1,706 posts

Quote Posted by Ed Dawson (here)
    As an adult, or my adult consciousness and knowledge enter my younger self?

As an adult I'd go back and murder Karl Marx before 1848. Then get Alois Hitler Sr. (Schicklgruber). That might save many 10s of millions of lives.

Return to my younger body: go to six years old
    and do a few things different over the years from that point.
    He did say "a one-way ticket to any year".

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (16th June 2021)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,618 times in 344 posts

Julian May wrote a series of novels on this topic back in the 1980’s. The first book was entitled, “The Many Coloured Land”. In the storyline, a scientist had discovered a seemingly useless technology that would transport people and equipment back six million years into the past, into the Pliocene Epoch. The journey was one way only, because if you stayed in the transport area when the machine was switched off and the time-field reversed itself, you would return to the present day, but you would instantly age six million years. Therefore, no living organism could survive the return journey.

The technology was adapted as a means to send wrong-doers into Exile, and so, people were teleported back into the Pliocene to live out their lives six million years in the past. Some volunteers also made the journey.

Interestingly, the storyline describes how an off-planet alien race was living on the Earth at this time, and were using the new human arrivals as a form of slave labour by way of a controlling necklace that, once applied, could not be forcibly removed without killing the wearer.

I only read the first two books in the series (the writing style, for me, was a little hard to follow - I was 16 years old when i read them). Perhaps I will re-read the series.

If I ever had the choice to transport back in time using a similar technology, I might choose to transport back to 17th Century Australia, some 100 years before the first European colonies arrived to decimate much of the natural beauty of the landscape and its peoples. Since the above technology allowed you to also bring with you supplies from present-day, I would plan very carefully about what I’d bring with me.
    Last edited by Tigger; 15th June 2021 at 12:03. Reason: Fixed a few grammatical errors

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (16th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (16th June 2021), TelosianEmbrace (15th June 2021), TomKat (15th June 2021)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 times in 448 posts

This year.

32. Link to Post #17
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,453 times in 571 posts

I am not obsessed with the past so much as the future. I would choose the 24th century to see if humanity gets it right and ends all conflicts on earth and actively engages with the stars.

Sort of an advanced Utopian Gattaca timeframe minus the genetic discrimination. Universal studies and a more perfect humanity by thoughts and actions. No wars. Well behaved, well studied, and engaged in gainful employ.

Since it is a one way ticket, several hundred years from now; I would see if there would be any opportunities in space travel. If not, I would find my place elsewhere.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (16th June 2021), TomKat (16th June 2021)

34. Link to Post #18
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Without doubt 1960
    Summer was summer -- freedom abound.
    Girls discovered.
    Learned to play bass
    My hobby sailing, won my first big race
    The weather superb.
    What more could anyone want?
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

DaveToo (17th June 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th June 2021), mokosh (16th June 2021), Sue (Ayt) (16th June 2021), TomKat (16th June 2021), Wind (17th June 2021), wondering (17th June 2021)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tigger (here)
    J
    If I ever had the choice to transport back in time using a similar technology, I might choose to transport back to 17th Century Australia, some 100 years before the first European colonies arrived to decimate much of the natural beauty of the landscape and its peoples. Since the above technology allowed you to also bring with you supplies from present-day, I would plan very carefully about what I’d bring with me.
    I have a similar feeling about the Pleistocene Age (time of the sabre-toothed tiger, dire wolf and woolly mammoth). In LA I used to like the museum at the La Brea Tar Pits. Something in me yearns for the time before North America was spoiled by civilization. But if I went there, I would probably yearn for a rifle and bug spray :-)
    Last edited by TomKat; 16th June 2021 at 00:04.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Tigger (17th June 2021), wondering (17th June 2021)

38. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    That's a good idea. You'd also get to experience, as an adult, the most interesting decade in recent history. Maybe take in a Beatles concert a few years later!

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (16th June 2021), wondering (17th June 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast