+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concept Creep - How Millennials Became So Sensitive To Harm

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Default Concept Creep - How Millennials Became So Sensitive To Harm

Finally, after I have experienced years of confusion and personal loss, PROFESSOR NICK HASLAM has provided valid explanations for the different meanings and interpretion of terms between millenials and the generations before them i.e. Abuse/neglect; Bullying; Trauma; Mental Disorder; Addiction; and Prejudice.

Haslam has written "powerful" academic papers that explain where this division comes from; why it is being socially engineered; and the damage it is causing. He has provided precise ammunition to counter the illogical and confounding reasoning that has created a generation of overly sensitive individuals identifying as victims.

Ammunition is a strong word, but warranted, because cancel culture is the weapon deployed to completely immobilize anyone wanting to discuss or debate with individuals and groups that claim their subjective reasoning is right and cannot be challenged.

If we don't stop this soon it will become a permanent disability within society as millenials carry it forward.

This 2016 article by Conor Friedersdorf briefly explains Haslam's "Concept Creep". But there are more to be found.  I am still reading and absorbing Haslam's academic papers and will eventually return to this thread to help generate awareness.  I just couldn't wait any longer to start providing links as I think a few members will be interested in digging into this research because it is proof needed for discussions they may be trying to have outside the forum.

How Americans Became So Sensitive to Harm

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-creep/477939/

SOME LINKS TO PROFESSOR NICK HASLAM'S RESEARCH:

CONCEPT CREEP: PSYCHOLOGY 'S EXPANDING CONCEPTS OF HARM AND PATHOLOGY

http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1047840X.2016.1082418

THE CREEPING CONCEPT OF TRAUMA

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cept_of_trauma
    Last edited by Gemma13; 17th June 2021 at 01:41.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th June 2021), boja (17th June 2021), Brigantia (17th June 2021), Franny (17th June 2021), Gekko (17th June 2021), gord (17th June 2021), Harmony (18th June 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th June 2021), Mashika (17th June 2021), pueblo (17th June 2021), Richard S. (17th June 2021), selinam (17th June 2021), thepainterdoug (18th June 2021), Tintin (17th June 2021), toppy (19th June 2021), Victoria (17th June 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 times in 448 posts

Default Re: Concept Creep - How Millennials Became So Sensitive To Harm

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 times in 448 posts

To be clear, I couldn't care less about Biden. As far as crusty old guys go, I'm more of a Bernie person.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

5. Link to Post #4
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gekko (here)

¤=[Post Update]=¤

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ability

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disability

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exist

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Let's make a deal, let's see which of the two of us is more sensitive?
    To be clear, this thread is not an attack on anyone having sensitivities to abuse, racial or otherwise.  Quite the opposite.  It is hoped that differing generations can come to understand that they, (those not responsible for grossly inflating Concept Creep), are actually on the same page with their care, concern and compassion.

What many millenials fail to acknowledge is the sensitivities of the generations before them that fought hard, and won, dismantling significant racial and LGBT bias and segregation.  

The effects of Concept Creep in youth is to ignore, or avoid finding out about these facts, in favour of blaming everyone who had to live through these horrors, while trying to fix them, as being responsible.

The irony is that millenials have actually become victims but not from identities they have been brainwashed into believing.  They are victims of a politically and economically motivated agenda  that makes them believe they are damaged; incapable of escaping pseudo traumas that keep them permanently dependant on psychiatric treatment and drugs; and they must cancel everyone in their life they are told is causing them psuedo harm because it is triggering for them.

If they could just stop and consider that maybe, just maybe, what they have been told is wrong.  And if they could just take a look at Haslam's research they may start to see why there has been such a massive shift in semantics.

Trauma, for example, had a completely different meaning to baby boomers and until this is understood there will forever be confusion, mistrust, and hate. Concept Creep in society has great benefit but when inflated causes great harm.

Quote CONCEPT CREEP - excerpt from:

The idea of concept creep was proposed by Haslam (2016a) and has five key elements. It is first and foremost a claim that a set of psychological concepts have undergone a progressive semantic expansion in recent decades so that they now refer to a much broader range of experiences, actions, or people than they did previously. Second, it is a claim that this semantic broadening takes two distinct forms. Third, it proposes that the set of inflating concepts has a common, unifying theme. Fourth, it makes a series of claims about the influences that are driving that inflation. Finally, it speculates on what the impacts of semantic expansion may be.

To document the claimed semantic expansion, Haslam (2016a) presented case studies of the concepts of abuse, addiction, bullying, mental disorder, prejudice, and trauma in the academic literature of psychology and cognate fields. He argued that in every case there had been a series of extensions to working definitions, which summed to large increases in the applicability of each concept. “Abuse” added emotional to physical maltreatment and came to encompass acts of negligent omission as well as of violent commission. “Addiction” spread from dependency on ingested substances to include such so-called behavioral addictions as excessive shopping, gambling, gaming, and sex. When it was introduced into developmental psychology in the 1970s, the definition of “bullying” required aggressive behavior to be repeated, intentional, and perpetrated in the context of a power imbalance. 

Over time every one of these criteria has been relaxed in bullying scholarship so that the term can be used to describe single incidents of unintentional behavior perpetrated sideways or upward in a hierarchy. It also now used at least as often to describe problematic behavior in workplaces as in schools. Successive editions of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) have relentlessly broadened to concept of “mental disorder” by lowering the thresholds for some disorders and adding new domains of psychopathology (Haslam, 2016b). “Prejudice” once referred only to blatant bigotry but in more recent social psychology it encompasses a variety of less overt forms: aversive, benign, implicit, and “modern.” As we shall see, “trauma” follows the same pattern.

Haslam (2016a) argued that although all of these examples of concept creep involve semantic broadening, they exemplify two distinct forms of expansion. “Horizontal” creep occurs when concepts extend outward to encompass qualitatively new phenomena, as in metaphorical or analogical extension to a new semantic domain. Examples include the incorporation of neglect under “abuse,” the addition of eating disorders to the set of mental disorders recognized by DSM-III, and the use of “bullying” to refer to inappropriate behavior in boardrooms as well as playgrounds. “Vertical” creep, in contrast, occurs when a concept’s meaning extends downwards to encompass less extreme or intense phenomena than it did previously, such as when “bullying” came to include unrepeated actions, “prejudice” encompassed subtle micro-aggressions, and “autism” incorporated high-functioning people with Asperger’s syndrome.

Thus far concept creep merely describes a pattern of parallel semantic changes among a group of concepts and a simple taxonomy of its forms. Haslam (2016a) went on to propose that this expansionary pattern is specific to a particular set of concepts; those that involve the theme of harm. It is specifically harm-related concepts that have inflated, and the case studies he presented all represent ways of harming others or of being harmed by them. The idea that creeping concepts have this theme in common suggests that the factors contributing to their expansion may also be at least somewhat shared. Although it might be tempting to propose distinct causal accounts of each concept – “medicalization” to explain the spread of “mental disorder,” “culture of fear” for the spread of “bullying,” “political correctness” for the enlarging scope of “prejudice” – if these concepts all implicated harm then a harm-based explanation might be promising and parsimonious.

Haslam (2016a) proposed that one factor underpinning concept creep was a rising sensitivity to harm in Western cultures, which leads to less severe harms being re-defined as problematic over time, an argument echoing Pinker’s (2011) claims regarding the historical trend toward a diminution of violence. Other writers have added that at least some concept creep is the deliberate work of motivated political actors, who Sunstein (2018) refers to as “opprobrium entrepreneurs.” Definitions of harm-related concepts may be re-drawn intentionally to problematize and stigmatize previously tolerated behavior.

Haslam’s (2016a) consideration of concept creep also included speculations on its impacts. By his account concept creep is likely to have ambivalent implications. On the one hand, by identifying new forms of behavior as harmful and more people as harmed, broadened concepts enable progressive social change and extend care and respect to those previously denied it. People who suffered mental ill-health but previously did not fit into an existing diagnosis can have their suffering treated, subtle forms of prejudice can be rendered socially illegitimate, office tyrants can have their domineering behavior called out as bullying. However, there may also be some negative implications.

Rising sensitivity to harm can shade into hyper-sensitivity and fragility, innocuous experiences can be pathologized or subject to unnecessarily harsh legal remedies, vulnerability can be amplified and coddled rather than diminished, and harm-based victim identities can be fostered. In short, concept creep is taking place, it may be driven in part by cultural changes, and the legacy of these changes may be mixed.
    Last edited by Gemma13; 17th June 2021 at 02:50.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th June 2021), Brigantia (17th June 2021), Franny (17th June 2021), Gekko (17th June 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th June 2021), Mashika (17th June 2021), pueblo (17th June 2021), Tintin (17th June 2021), toppy (19th June 2021)

7. Link to Post #5
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Millennials rule the world now, for the most part, except maybe at the very top levels

By the time people on their 20's now, get to reach the top levels, there may not even be a world to direct or "rule"

My mom is a millennial , it does seem she chose me to relieve all the pain and traumas she had from way back, and delivered to me in ways most of the other people i know my age never experienced, and i'm not talking micro aggressions as in the funny thing all people do but i have seen being quoted as something new on pop magazines lol

Sometimes it does seem that the bridge between millennials and gen-z, the one i supposedly belong to, are not very clear, or existing at all, from the point of view of the people looking at it from their own generation

I can tell one thing, if i could erase all the judgment and make everyone think clearly and say "oh wait! when i was her age i also thought i had all the answers" and actually believe it and act on it, instead of saying in a condescending way "yeah, when i was her age i also though i had all the answers, he he he", then maybe the world would be different

When people retrospect and analyze, they mostly do it from their current point of view. Have you read, that every time you remember your childhood, the memories get replaced in part by what your current person is? Some of the attitudes you had back then, are replaced by the attitudes or knowledge you have right now, as soon as you remember "that day".

So when someone older says "in my days" or "it happened to me, and i did this" it's actually "This is what i would have thought or done, if i had my current knowledge back then", but the brain mixes it all up so that a new memory gets created. The next time the person remembers "that day" they will remember the last time they reformatted their brain to fit their current view of themselves, and *not* the actual original memory of what really went on

There's is no possible way you can remember the original thought or experience, if you rewrote it to fit a better view of yourself over time, there could be 100 iterations over it along the years, so the one you remember from way back, may not be the one that was actually there, it's the one you remember last only

Kids these days: Why the youth of today seem lacking
    https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/10/eaav5916

Also i have all the answers because i'm 24

-

I'm Masha and i'm very rude towards people, i'm sorry i don't have a filter or know how to shut my mouth most times :/ But please read the article i posted, it may explain a bit

Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    Finally, after I have experienced years of confusion and personal loss, PROFESSOR NICK HASLAM has provided valid explanations for the different meanings and interpretion of terms between millenials and the generations before them i.e. Abuse/neglect; Bullying; Trauma; Mental Disorder; Addiction; and Prejudice.

Haslam has written "powerful" academic papers that explain where this division comes from; why it is being socially engineered; and the damage it is causing. He has provided precise ammunition to counter the illogical and confounding reasoning that has created a generation of overly sensitive individuals identifying as victims.

Ammunition is a strong word, but warranted, because cancel culture is the weapon deployed to completely immobilize anyone wanting to discuss or debate with individuals and groups that claim their subjective reasoning is right and cannot be challenged.

If we don't stop this soon it will become a permanent disability within society as millenials carry it forward.

This 2016 article by Conor Friedersdorf briefly explains Haslam's "Concept Creep". But there are more to be found.  I am still reading and absorbing Haslam's academic papers and will eventually return to this thread to help generate awareness.  I just couldn't wait any longer to start providing links as I think a few members will be interested in digging into this research because it is proof needed for discussions they may be trying to have outside the forum.

How Americans Became So Sensitive to Harm

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-creep/477939/

SOME LINKS TO PROFESSOR NICK HASLAM'S RESEARCH:

CONCEPT CREEP: PSYCHOLOGY 'S EXPANDING CONCEPTS OF HARM AND PATHOLOGY

http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1047840X.2016.1082418

THE CREEPING CONCEPT OF TRAUMA

Last edited by Mashika; 17th June 2021 at 04:01.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th June 2021), Gekko (17th June 2021), Gemma13 (19th June 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (18th June 2021), Tintin (17th June 2021), toppy (19th June 2021)

9. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Thanks Mashika for your comments and link.  Sadly this topic is far more destructive to the fabric of unity within our cultures than sentimental musings prefaced with "Back in our day..." or "When we were young..." or "Kids these days..." which are sourced from individual circumstances and memory.

The Culture Creep topics that have been inflated well beyond widespread common experiences are causing future generations to identify as feeble, weak, and incompetent of handling even the slightest of challenges; let alone creatively and courageously being able to stand up and face the very real horrors in our world.

This breaks my heart because many that have been brainwashed are incredibly compassionate, intelligent human beings that were well equipped to join forces with elders in taking up mantles of activism together but instead they are crucifying and cancelling families and mentors at a phenomenal rate.

Culture Creep Inflation is a very clever, insidious agenda to weaken humanitarian progress using psychological programs that foster division and separation.  Thankfully we now have help trying to get back this "stolen generation" over the next few years with Haslam's research.  Hopefully enough victims of pseudo trauma identity can be deprogrammed so they can start helping their own generation get back their clarity and strength.

Quote Nick Haslam:

Many of psychology’s concepts have undergone semantic shifts in recent years.  These conceptual changes follow a consistent trend. Concepts that refer to the negative aspects of human experience and behavior have expanded their meanings so that they now encompass a much broader range of phenomena than before.

This expansion takes “horizontal” and “vertical” forms: concepts extend outward to capture qualitatively new phenomena and downward to capture quantitatively less extreme phenomena. The concepts of abuse, bullying, trauma, mental disorder, addiction, and prejudice are examined to illustrate these historical changes.

In each case, the concept’s boundary has stretched and its meaning has dilated. A variety of explanations for this pattern of “concept creep” are considered and its implications are explored.

I contend that the expansion primarily reflects an ever-increasing sensitivity to harm, reflecting a liberal moral agenda. Its implications are ambivalent, however. Although conceptual change is inevitable and often well motivated, concept creep runs the risk of pathologizing everyday experience and encouraging a sense of virtuous but impotent victimhood.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th June 2021), Franny (17th June 2021), Gekko (17th June 2021), gord (17th June 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (18th June 2021), Mashika (18th June 2021), Tintin (17th June 2021), toppy (19th June 2021)

11. Link to Post #7
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Hi Gemma,

Have you looked into this statement more, let's say, from the point of view of your parents of grand parents? What do you consider they will feel about those words?

Quote Although conceptual change is inevitable and often well motivated, concept creep runs the risk of pathologizing everyday experience and encouraging a sense of virtuous but impotent victimhood.
    I feel the need to mention that millennials are already one generation behind, and that similar study, if done by them, would be made by millennials, looking into Generation Z, and considering the same as you have done on your last reply

If you start an experiment or research, from a pre-determined base, started from your current view of reality, do you consider your results valid?

Thanks Mashika for your comments and link.  Sadly this topic is far more destructive to the fabric of unity within our cultures than sentimental musings prefaced with "Back in our day..." or "When we were young..." or "Kids these days..." which are sourced from individual circumstances and memory.

The Culture Creep topics that have been inflated well beyond widespread common experiences are causing future generations to identify as feeble, weak, and incompetent of handling even the slightest of challenges; let alone creatively and courageously being able to stand up and face the very real horrors in our world.

This breaks my heart because many that have been brainwashed are incredibly compassionate, intelligent human beings that were well equipped to join forces with elders in taking up mantles of activism together but instead they are crucifying and cancelling families and mentors at a phenomenal rate.

Culture Creep Inflation is a very clever, insidious agenda to weaken humanitarian progress using psychological programs that foster division and separation.  Thankfully we now have help trying to get back this "stolen generation" over the next few years with Haslam's research.  Hopefully enough victims of pseudo trauma identity can be deprogrammed so they can start helping their own generation get back their clarity and strength.

Quote Nick Haslam:

Many of psychology’s concepts have undergone semantic shifts in recent years.  These conceptual changes follow a consistent trend. Concepts that refer to the negative aspects of human experience and behavior have expanded their meanings so that they now encompass a much broader range of phenomena than before.

This expansion takes “horizontal” and “vertical” forms: concepts extend outward to capture qualitatively new phenomena and downward to capture quantitatively less extreme phenomena. The concepts of abuse, bullying, trauma, mental disorder, addiction, and prejudice are examined to illustrate these historical changes.

In each case, the concept’s boundary has stretched and its meaning has dilated. A variety of explanations for this pattern of “concept creep” are considered and its implications are explored.

I contend that the expansion primarily reflects an ever-increasing sensitivity to harm, reflecting a liberal moral agenda. Its implications are ambivalent, however. Although conceptual change is inevitable and often well motivated, concept creep runs the risk of pathologizing everyday experience and encouraging a sense of virtuous but impotent victimhood.
    Tired

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Gemma13 (19th June 2021), Tintin (19th July 2021), toppy (19th June 2021)

13. Link to Post #8
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Let's say you are on 2050 or so, and you decide to go back in time, to 2021. Then what we see as the future, is your past, right?

And you see us as feeble, weak, less able humans that you are, you may laugh at our mental issues, traumas, addictions and so on..

So, don't you think that this study, is looking one way only, completely lacking on "looking the other way" just to make sure we are not missing something someone may know that we still don't figure out at this time?

Do you see?

Quote The Culture Creep topics that have been inflated well beyond widespread common experiences are causing future generations to identify as feeble, weak, and incompetent of handling even the slightest of challenges; let alone creatively and courageously being able to stand up and face the very real horrors in our world.
    Who's to say that your world and mine are the same? Are you looking for solutions to problems that belong to the past, and i know it's easy to dismiss me, just like people in the past did with everything else. What's the criteria to identify what's a valid "incompetent" approach?

If i came from the future, all those articles and studies would look like amateurish work from my point of view, the horrors of your world may mean nothing to me, i may have way more terrible ones i survived. Reality has such a terrible way to be circumstantial
    Tired

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Gemma13 (19th June 2021)

15. Link to Post #9
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Think about it, If i come from 2050, your present is my future, and my 2050 is my past, and i see you weak and feeble and all that stuff, whatever that means.

Simply put, i will look and say "you are not capable", and i will be wrong, because if not for these people, i would not be around to come back and think that, right?

The entire approach, is, as i said, circumstantial

A real valid study would not consider personal experiences, and focus on real capabilities. The entire study, as exposed, i think it's compromised, but i already said that, i just don't think it was really researched well :/

Quote Hopefully enough victims of pseudo trauma identity can be deprogrammed so they can start helping their own generation get back their clarity and strength.
    There has been no generation on this world, that did not think they were better than the next one, but i already said why on my first post on this thread, this entire study, comes from there, so how can it be validated, if the only people who will have a say, are affected by the same problem of thinking they are the ones that know better and the other's do not? It's already compromised from the very start....
    Last edited by Mashika; 18th June 2021 at 08:18.
    Tired

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Gemma13 (19th June 2021)

17. Link to Post #10
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Mashika I'm not sure if you are grasping what this topic is actually about.  It's not about an older generation deciding they would like to call a younger generation weak and incompetent because they think they know better.  That's just stupid.

Younger generations are actually the ones who have identified themselves as being overly sensitive.  Older generations don't agree.

And there's a reason.  It's called negative Concept Creep which happened because some idiots within the psychology industry took it upon themselves to change the meaning of words by relaxing, beyond reasonable, the boundaries they were previously confined to.

For example, Trauma. "Four decades ago only personally encountered life-threatening events that are outside the realm of normal experience were recognized as traumatic by psychologists. More recent definitions include vicarious or indirect experiences of stressful events, including those that are relatively prevalent." [Haslam]

So the confusion between generations can be found in semantics.  When a young person claims to be traumatized over an everyday occurrence an older person will be utterly confused because their definition of trauma, (that they have related to their whole lives), means something entirely different.

Ironically they are both "technically" right but because it isn't common public knowledge that meanings have changed, both generations are challenging each other with dire consequences.  For example,

Young Person says to Old Person, "I'm traumatized because that person said something that offended me". Old Person says, "Um, no, that experience is unpleasant, but it isn't traumatic".
    Young Person takes offense and is further traumatized because they think Old Person is devaluing their feelings and sensitivity to pain.  They are then told to cancel Old Person out of their life because they are triggering.

Hope that clarifies a bit.  Another example is hearing about older people in work places trying to help younger people get "thicker skin"  - without offending them.

And another dilemma in all of this is for those who experience trauma according to its prior meaning.  They no longer have a category that sharply defines their tragedy; for example, soldiers returning from war, rape victims, etc are all lumped together with people who have been yelled at by a parent for repeatedly not cleaning up after themselves.

If I knew a few years ago that these definitions had changed I could have had very different conversations with a family member and we would not be estranged today.  There are thousands of people who have, and are, experiencing devastating effects in relationships because of this fu@$-up in psychology.
    Last edited by Gemma13; 18th June 2021 at 15:45.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Mashika (18th June 2021)

19. Link to Post #11
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Hello, thanks for y our reply

I do understand, i was trying to 'deconstruct' a bit how the conclusion was made, i was interested a bit more in figuring out the inner aspect because i thought i saw a flaw in the logic that was used to reach the results

For example, i have 'bullied' older persons, as in 40/50 year old people, it was considered that i was bullying them because i told them they were wrong, and proved it to them, so the situation reversed on those cases, they did not want to talk to me after, and then i even joked that "adult protection services" should be called. To me, it wasn't bullying saying "you are wrong, here's why", yet it became bullying as soon as they felt unprotected and incapable of disproving me. The perception switched so now the person who otherwise was acting adult like and perfectly mature suddenly was acting like a bullied child (from being able to handle a conversation in an adult way to screaming and claiming to be attacked because of being exposed in the open about a nonissue) I've seen this at least 3 times over the past years

ETA: What i mean is that in a puzzling way, i've seen people understand both the old meaning and the new meaning of some words, just as described here, and to be able to switch between them, so from my point of view, it was not a completely separation or generational gap in what a concept means, since the older person was able to understand and use the 'new concept' and switch back and forth

I realize this may not be the place to discuss that one aspect of it, i was just trying to go through a bit of a research stage to see if at some point a logic flaw happened, but don't want to derail the thread

Thanks again

Mashika I'm not sure if you are grasping what this topic is actually about.  It's not about an older generation deciding they would like to call a younger generation weak and incompetent because they think they know better.  That's just stupid.

Younger generations are actually the ones who have identified themselves as being overly sensitive.  Older generations don't agree.

And there's a reason.  It's called negative Concept Creep which happened because some idiots within the psychology industry took it upon themselves to change the meaning of words by relaxing, beyond reasonable, the boundaries they were previously confined to.

For example, Trauma. "Four decades ago only personally encountered life-threatening events that are outside the realm of normal experience were recognized as traumatic by psychologists. More recent definitions include vicarious or indirect experiences of stressful events, including those that are relatively prevalent." [Haslam]

So the confusion between generations can be found in semantics.  When a young person claims to be traumatized over an everyday occurrence an older person will be utterly confused because their definition of trauma, (that they have related to their whole lives), means something entirely different.

Ironically they are both "technically" right but because it isn't common public knowledge that meanings have changed, both generations are challenging each other with dire consequences.  For example,

Young Person says to Old Person, "I'm traumatized because that person said something that offended me". Old Person says, "Um, no, that experience is unpleasant, but it isn't traumatic".
    Young Person takes offense and is further traumatized because they think Old Person is devaluing their feelings and sensitivity to pain.  They are then told to cancel Old Person out of their life because they are triggering.

Hope that clarifies a bit.  Another example is hearing about older people in work places trying to help younger people get "thicker skin"  - without offending them.

And another dilemma in all of this is for those who experience trauma according to its prior meaning.  They no longer have a category that sharply defines their tragedy; for example, soldiers returning from war, rape victims, etc are all lumped together with people who have been yelled at by a parent for repeatedly not cleaning up after themselves.

If I knew a few years ago that these definitions had changed I could have had very different conversations with a family member and we would not be estranged today.  There are thousands of people who have, and are, experiencing devastating effects in relationships because of this fu@$-up in psychology.
    Last edited by Mashika; 18th June 2021 at 21:30.
    Tired

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Gemma13 (19th June 2021)

21. Link to Post #12
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Ah thank you Mashika and you are definitely not derailing the thread.  I very much appreciate you taking the time to give your perspectives and experiences.

You have raised an excellent point with a great example of how this applies both ways.  Different cultures, personality types, and topics and their context, are integral and add complexity.

Narcissists will use Concept Creep to their advantage, as will bigots.  This is often seen in screeming teenagers publically accusing people of abuse because their feelings have been hurt over differing opinions, or mundane issues, because they are lapping up the attention their erratic behaviour is lavishing them with, thanks to the distorted concepts of harm.

Cultural bigots are also challenging to communucate with as they will never, ever concede they are wrong.  I've witnessed and been on the receiving end of some Italian elders defending their position on everything they claim is right, more times than I care to remember.  When cornered they play the "respect your elders because we are always right card" as they storm out of the room to avoid any more discussion and in some cases disown a younger family member for not complying with their perspective and/or cultural demands.

My current point of focus, however, is on innocent people being accused of abuse they did not commit and blamed for causing "trauma";  therefore, by default, they must be uncaring, selfish people that need to be cancelled.

The power that has been given to psychologists and counsellors because of negative Concept Creep is frightening.  Making matters worse was the creation of an experimental mental health approach designed to find early signs of mental health problems in teenagers with the view to preventing full blown mental health issues as an adult.  It is easy to predict, without a professional badge, that as much as this "idea" can be seen as noble, it is dangerously ridiculous.

Every parent knows, heck everyone knows if they think back on being a teenager, that biological hormonal changes create a flood of confusing emotions and fears as teenagers transition from environments of ease into being completely responsible for themselves.  It used to be called "puberty blues" and was always temporary.  

The very idea of developing a program designed to delve into every teenager looking for any sign of potential mental health problems is ludicrous.  But not when you are wanting to expand a billion dollar industry that relies on dysfunctional humans to survive.  Then it is genius because you've hit the jackpot for always being able to find just one definition of a struggle that can be inflated and branched out to be more than it is.  And this is exactly what's been happening.

The spin used to justify this ludicrous concept is in the following mission statement from Headspace.  An Australian organisation that has been enticing children from their homes to infantilize them in kindergarten decor with counselling and treatment that keeps them locked into their "puberty blues" well into adulthood.

Quote https://headspace.org.au/about-us/who-we-are/

More than 75 per cent of mental health issues develop before a person turns 25.

And yet, many traditional services aren’t equipped to address the unique barriers that young people face to accessing mental health support. headspace began in 2006 to address this critical gap, by providing tailored and holistic mental health support to 12 - 25 year olds. With a focus on early intervention, we work with young people to provide support at a crucial time in their lives – to help get them back on track and strengthen their ability to manage their mental health in the future.

At the heart of our services is ensuring we meet the evolving and unique needs of young people and those who support them. Therefore, young people are at the centre of everything we do and they play an active role in designing, developing and evaluating our programs.
    You can't get a better written statement from an institution wanting to replace parents by stealing their children and convincing them they need to be protected and guided by a State institution.

I have witnessed families torn apart because young, fresh out of University,  Headspace Counsellors are telling teenagers they think they are being abused and should leave home to find safer spaces to live in where they are not challenged.  I've seen a secondary school Principal who dedicates her life to empowering teenagers have her teenage daughter told to leave home and live with her older drug addicted boyfriend because it is traumatic for her to have to listen to her parents disagree with her choice to drop out of school so she can smoke pot all day.

I could go on and on about the very real psychological abuse being inflicted on teenagers and their families but will leave it there for now as this post is very long already.

I will leave this article though which begs the question: Why have devastating teenage mental health issue stats increased exponentially since 2010?  Headspace started in 2006. 

It's all well and good to call Headspace a failure years later, but when is it going to be called out for what it is -  The Source!

Quote https://www.afr.com/politics/mental-...0210512-p57r7j

MENTAL HEALTH EXPERTS HAVE QUESTIONED $280 MILLION FOR 'ABJECT FAILURE' HEADSPACE

Mental health experts have questioned the $280 million the latest budget commits to Headspace, a service described as an “abject failure” because the rate of youth suicide has risen markedly since it began operation.

“If the rate of youth suicide is a KPI, then Headspace is an abject failure,” Curtin University’s Martin Whitely said. “They’re being funded because they’ve been branded so well.”

Tuesday’s budget marked $278.6 million over four years for Headspace as part of a $2.3 billion spend on mental health.

Headspace runs mental health services for 12 to 24-year-olds.

Nine Australians die by suicide every day and it is among the leading causes of death in 18 to 44-year-olds. Men are more likely to suicide than women.

The suicide for 18 to 24-year-olds increased by about 50 per cent between 2010 and 2019, according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.

In 2019, suicide represented 40 per cent of deaths in 15 to 17-year-olds and more than a third of deaths in 18 to 24-year-olds.
    [...]
    Last edited by Gemma13; 19th June 2021 at 03:33.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Mashika (19th June 2021)

+ Reply to Thread