+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite and Hated Movie "Tropes"

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Default Favorite and Hated Movie "Tropes"

Forgive me if I’m using the word wrong, I’m still trying to figure it out, since it’s become so popular lately. Here’s some background on what are movie tropes:

https://industrialscripts.com/movie-tropes/

I gather a story trope is a commonly used plot device, such as a stranger in a corrupt small town.

I think a character trope is a common character type, such as a small town sherrif or the hooker with the heart of gold,

Both serve as a kind of short-hand for the viewer to instantly understand without a lot of background.

One story trope I hate is any kind of hostage situation. It’s OK if it’s very short-lived in a bigger plot, but even then it’s a turn-off.

I hate the “framed” story trope. This is usually the raison d'etre for the whole movie, which I will not watch.

I hate heist movies.

I don’t like prison movies.

I like the “revenge” or “justice restored” story trope, like many Steven Seagal or Charles Bronson movies. They’re shallow, but I stay engaged.

I also like the “tough loner” character trope, e.g., Death Wish movies, Walking Tall, Dirty Harry...

I like the “aliens among us” trope, as in They Live or The Invaders.

I like the time travel story trope.

I like the corrupt government story trope or character trope. Some of my favorite actors along these lines are Jere Burns and William Atherton.
    Last edited by TomKat; 23rd June 2021 at 02:25.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd June 2021), Craig (23rd June 2021), jitu (23rd June 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (23rd June 2021), palehorse (23rd June 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

Default Re: Favorite and Hated Movie "Tropes"

The last movie I watched was Labyrinth.......I don't watch tv...... But I enjoyed Labyrinth!
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd June 2021), wondering (23rd June 2021)

+ Reply to Thread