Thread: Ground Control to Captain Kirk

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Default Ground Control to Captain Kirk

In case you have not learned about it yet, "Captain Kirk" has a new show on RT

https://www.rt.com/shows/i-don-t-und...lliam-shatner/

It's very cool actually, he's awesome
    Tired

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ben (8th August 2021), Bill Ryan (8th August 2021), Bluegreen (8th August 2021), DeDukshyn (8th August 2021), Franny (20th September 2021), Gracy (19th September 2021), Harmony (8th August 2021), Inversion (8th August 2021), Ioneo (8th August 2021), Matthew (8th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Michi (8th August 2021), Myristyl (10th August 2021), Ol' Roy (21st September 2021), Open Minded Dude (8th August 2021), Patient (8th August 2021), Sadieblue (9th August 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Sunny-side-up (8th August 2021), Suzi E (10th August 2021), syrwong (19th September 2021), thepainterdoug (8th August 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021), Wansen (8th August 2021), Wind (8th August 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Default Re: Ground Control to Captain Kirk

thanks Mashi

i love william shatner. im going to watch. thanks

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Ben (8th August 2021), Bill Ryan (8th August 2021), Franny (20th September 2021), Harmony (8th August 2021), Inversion (8th August 2021), Mashika (8th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Michi (8th August 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Sunny-side-up (8th August 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021), Wind (8th August 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    thanks Mashi

i love william shatner. im going to watch. thanks
    My mom always says that William Shatner, is the very definition of charisma.. LMAO, i think i understand why she sees him like that
    Tired

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ben (8th August 2021), Bill Ryan (8th August 2021), Franny (20th September 2021), Harmony (8th August 2021), Inversion (8th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Michi (8th August 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Sunny-side-up (8th August 2021), thepainterdoug (8th August 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021), Wind (8th August 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Thanx for the info Mashika

have some sun on me
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Ben (8th August 2021), Bill Ryan (8th August 2021), Franny (20th September 2021), Mashika (8th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,340 times in 472 posts

Apparently not a very nice man to get on with in the studio.
    I loved his Lieutenant Lucerne/Ward Fowler character in the first of his two Columbo appearances...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Franny (20th September 2021), Mashika (8th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,168 times in 10,101 posts

Set phasers to PARTY

"Where's the cake?"

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Franny (20th September 2021), Mashika (9th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

Shatner (Kirk) is still one of the best things that came out of StarTrek. Next to Spock and Quark.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Franny (20th September 2021), Mashika (9th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Le Chat (here)
    Apparently not a very nice man to get on with in the studio.
    I loved his Lieutenant Lucerne/Ward Fowler character in the first of his two Columbo appearances...
    Lots of people in that industry are like that, they are charming, and funny and all kinds of things, but perfectionists in a way that if something is done wrong, the tension can be felt on the air, you could cut it with a knife lol. I know a couple people like that, i think we all do know someone who acts that way when the expectations they have of other people, fail to deliver
    Tired

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Le Chat (10th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bluegreen (here)
    Set phasers to PARTY

"Where's the cake?"
    I have not watched the original Star Trek series, perhaps should do soon, I have only watched the new movies and the Discovery show on Netflix. But even if not having watched the original show, everyone on this planet pretty much knows who "Captain Kirk" is :D
    Tired

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Bluegreen (9th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    I have not watched the original Star Trek series, perhaps should do soon, I have only watched the new movies and the Discovery show on Netflix. But even if not having watched the original show, everyone on this planet pretty much knows who "Captain Kirk" is :D
    I'm a big fan of Star Trek in general, specifically The Next Generation. I hate to say it but the original series is..umm...sorta....awful! I force myself to watch it out of my nerdy respect for it but the truth is I don't care for it. However, Wrath of Khan is absolutely amazing! I highly recommend that.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mashika (9th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Tintin (9th August 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,492 times in 4,308 posts

Hardcore Trek nerd here. Captain Kirk is God, that is all.

I have only watched the new movies and the Discovery show on Netflix. But even if not having watched the original show, everyone on this planet pretty much knows who "Captain Kirk" is :D
    For the love of God, goodness, and all things bright and beautiful, disregard the diseased, malformed abominations that are the 'new' incarnations of Star Trek, namely, the new movies, Discovery, Lower Decks, and Picard. None of these things are Star Trek. They claim to be Star Trek, following the legacy of Star Trek, and kinda look a bit like Star Trek, but none of them ARE Star Trek. Nowhere near. It's not that they are cheap knock-offs, the production values are very high. Since JJ Abrams got his grubby world-destroying hands on it, and since CBS got involved too, the franchise has been summarily destroyed, piece by piece. Firstly they chose to ignore and totally bastardize 50+ years of canon. Then they decided to insert exceedingly obtrusive woke propaganda and identity politics - at the expense of story-telling.

If you didn't grow up with Kirk and Spock and Bones like I did, TOS (The Original Series) will look pretty dated to you. But if you really want to experience true, real, Star Trek, you can't go wrong with the original movies. I'd start with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, then Star Trek III, IV, and VI (give V a miss). Then start on The Next Generation, all seven seasons. Probably the best Trek there's ever been. There are four Next Generation movies too, but only two good ones (Generations, and First Contact). Follow up with Deep Space Nine - absolutely magnificent, followed by Voyager and Enterprise. At that point, Star Trek - true Star Trek - ends. There is no more after that.

In his usual whiskey-soaked scottish whimsicality, the Critical Drinker - probably, no certainly, the best, most accurate movie critic on the internet - explains the situation:

The only other thing that comes close to Star Trek, and does a really good job at it, is The Orville. Ironically, The Orville is infinitely more Star Trek than Star Trek Trek these days (comparing it to Discover et al).
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

22. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), gord (10th August 2021), Mashika (10th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), mountain_jim (10th August 2021), Open Minded Dude (9th August 2021), Orph (19th September 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021), Strat (10th August 2021), Vicus (20th September 2021)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    German
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    In his usual whiskey-soaked scottish whimsicality, the Critical Drinker - probably, no certainly, the best, most accurate movie critic on the internet - explains the situation:

The only other thing that comes close to Star Trek, and does a really good job at it, is The Orville. Ironically, The Orville is infinitely more Star Trek than Star Trek Trek these days (comparing it to Discover et al).
    Could not agree more, like the Critical Drinker's reviews a lot and also the Orville.

Discovery is an abomination, the dumbest show on television (did not watch Batwoman and the new Doctor Who though, both of which might be worthy competitors). ST has been hijacked for political purposes.

Just like Strat I am kind of 'forced' to watch ST as a ST nerd but it was painful.

I loved DS9 which for me was the best ST show.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (10th August 2021), Mashika (10th August 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), mountain_jim (10th August 2021), Stephanie (21st September 2021)

25. Link to Post #13
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Hardcore Trek nerd here. Captain Kirk is God, that is all.

I have only watched the new movies and the Discovery show on Netflix. But even if not having watched the original show, everyone on this planet pretty much knows who "Captain Kirk" is :D
    For the love of God, goodness, and all things bright and beautiful, disregard the diseased, malformed abominations that are the 'new' incarnations of Star Trek, namely, the new movies, Discovery, Lower Decks, and Picard. None of these things are Star Trek. They claim to be Star Trek, following the legacy of Star Trek, and kinda look a bit like Star Trek, but none of them ARE Star Trek. Nowhere near. It's not that they are cheap knock-offs, the production values are very high. Since JJ Abrams got his grubby world-destroying hands on it, and since CBS got involved too, the franchise has been summarily destroyed, piece by piece. Firstly they chose to ignore and totally bastardize 50+ years of canon. Then they decided to insert exceedingly obtrusive woke propaganda and identity politics - at the expense of story-telling.

If you didn't grow up with Kirk and Spock and Bones like I did, TOS (The Original Series) will look pretty dated to you. But if you really want to experience true, real, Star Trek, you can't go wrong with the original movies. I'd start with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, then Star Trek III, IV, and VI (give V a miss). Then start on The Next Generation, all seven seasons. Probably the best Trek there's ever been. There are four Next Generation movies too, but only two good ones (Generations, and First Contact). Follow up with Deep Space Nine - absolutely magnificent, followed by Voyager and Enterprise. At that point, Star Trek - true Star Trek - ends. There is no more after that.

"Lower Decks", that almost sounds bad, as in "Star Trek: Cleaning Crew" lmao...

I have not watched all the movies or older series of Star Trek, only some of them that were available on Netflix. I also have not watched the Orville, i know about the show but unfortunately, it was blocked on my region and i could never find a good copy on other places online, or something i could download. So i just kind of gave up on watching it. As with many many other shows, like Mr Robot, which i missed almost entirely when it was on, and later on found a downloadable version, still have to finish watching that :/

Agree that Discovery is a bad show, but that's how i learned Star Trek exists, and it made me go try to find and watch other movies and series. So i guess at least it was good for that?

I think i'm lacking a bit of context so that i can know which ones are the good/bad series/movies. When i watched them i mostly always liked all the ones i was able to watch, maybe need to go rewatch and compare against each other, because just basically watched them as if there was no relationship between the different series and movies :/
    Last edited by Mashika; 10th August 2021 at 01:43.
    Tired

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Perfectly said my friend.

Drinks on me at Ten Forward, I'll be at the bar chatting with Guinan. Anyone else is welcome to come, the more the merrier. Unless Councilor Troi is around...I want some alone time with her.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (10th August 2021), Mashika (7th September 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 838 posts

The original series, "Elaan of Troyius". ... Elaan was a hottie.

Us guys are such sexist pigs
    Last edited by Orph; 10th August 2021 at 13:32.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mashika (7th September 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021)

31. Link to Post #16
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,492 times in 4,308 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)

Drinks on me at Ten Forward, I'll be at the bar chatting with Guinan. Anyone else is welcome to come, the more the merrier. Unless Councilor Troi is around...I want some alone time with her.
    I'll see your Counsellor Troi, and raise you Jadzia Dax.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mashika (7th September 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Strat (10th August 2021)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 77,629 times in 8,592 posts

Agree totally Star Mariner, as a Star Trek enthusiast from the original seen on tv in the 60's onward, the franchise is now (emotionally) dead and buried for me. (Though just finished Discovery season 2, so can't resist SF no matter how much I hate certain aspects.)

Sadly, the same wokeness killed off Doctor Who as well, with the last great doctor Capaldi and that period the end of value in that show, in my view.
    Last edited by mountain_jim; 10th August 2021 at 14:15.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (10th August 2021), Mashika (7th September 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021)

35. Link to Post #18
    Language
    German
    Thanks

We should have a thread discussing all the shows on Netflix or streaming tele in general, there are still some good ones out there although most has been contaminated now by the 'woke virus'.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mashika (7th September 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021)

37. Link to Post #19
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I thought the best series was Voyager ...... Seven Of Nine being my favourite character. I thought she played a fantastic part and the Borg were always something that I thought could really happen.
    Will Shatner was a handsome chap in his younger years and a fine actor, but Spok always had the edge .......

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzi E For This Post:

39. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)

I'll see your Counsellor Troi, and raise you Jadzia Dax.
    You may know this already but fun fact about Dax: Prior to her getting the role she was a model. They were initially going to give her a role where her face would be completely covered, just like many actors are in typical ST fashion. But then they figured how dumb would that be to have a beautiful lady and cover her face? lol
    Last edited by Strat; 11th August 2021 at 05:30.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd April 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (11th August 2021), Mashika (7th September 2021), Mercedes (6th October 2021), Suzi E (28th September 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast