+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mw 7.2 HAITI REGION

1. Link to Post #1
    Earthquake Reporter (automated reports) EMSC's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Mw 7.2 HAITI REGION

Magnitude Mw 7.2Region HAITI REGIONDate time 2021-08-14 12:29:09.6 UTCLocation 18.36 N ; 73.48 WDepth 10 km

More...

2. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,212 times in 1,146 posts

Unhappy Re: Mw 7.2 HAITI REGION

Tsunami thankfully not happening, but a country that was already in a bad way has once again felt the brunt of a natural disaster.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...iti/ar-AANjKOx

Quote A major earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 has struck western Haiti, as people fled their homes fearing that buildings might collapse.

The country is still recovering from an earthquake in January 2010. Pic: AP© Associated Press The country is still recovering from an earthquake in January 2010.
    The quake struck 8km (five miles) from the town of Petit Trou de Nippes, about 150km (93 miles) west of the capital Port-au-Prince, at a depth of 10km, the US Geological Survey said.

The United States Geological Survey issued a red alert for fatalities from the quake and said the disaster is "likely widespread".

Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry said the quake caused "several" deaths and "enormous damage" to southern areas of the Caribbean country. He said all government resources available would be mobilised to help victims.

The country has been in a state of political turmoil since July, when President Jovenel Moise was assassinated in his home by a team of gunmen, shaking a country already battling poverty, spiralling gang violence and COVID-19.

People in the capital of Port-au-Prince felt the tremor and many rushed into the streets in fear.

Haiti's Civil Protection service said on Twitter there were initial reports of likely casualties from its teams.

"In my neighborhood, I heard people screaming. They were flying outside," said Port-au-Prince resident Sephora Pierre Louis, adding she was still in a state of shock.

"At least they know to go outside. In 2010, they didn't know what to do. People are still outside in the street."

Naomi Verneus, a 34-year-old resident, said she was jolted awake by the earthquake, with her bed was shaking.

"I woke up and didn't have time to put my shoes on. We lived the 2010 earthquake and all I could do was run. I later remembered my two kids and my mother were still inside.

"My neighbor went in and told them to get out. We ran to the street," Verneus said.

Tropical Storm Grace is forecasted to reach Haiti late Monday night or early Tuesday morning.

The US Tsunami Warning System reported the threat of a tsunami in Haiti has now passed.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Journeyman For This Post:

avid (14th August 2021), Bill Ryan (14th August 2021), Billy (14th August 2021), Gwin Ru (14th August 2021), Harmony (15th August 2021), justntime2learn (14th August 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th August 2021), O Donna (14th August 2021), pabranno (14th August 2021), Wind (15th August 2021)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Default Re: Mw 7.2 HAITI REGION

29 people confirmed dead so far but could be many hundreds.

Thinking of the people of Haiti.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th August 2021), Constance (16th August 2021), Eva2 (14th August 2021), Gwin Ru (14th August 2021), Harmony (15th August 2021), justntime2learn (14th August 2021), O Donna (14th August 2021), pabranno (14th August 2021), Wind (15th August 2021)

+ Reply to Thread