1. Link to Post #101
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,334 times in 635 posts

Default Re: ABBA — 40 years younger again

Quote Posted by BoR (here)
    That doesn’t make it any less impressive though. Their lyrics often easily beat the average English pop song written by native English speakers. (I am obviously not referring to the artists you mentioned Bill) You can also hear they put much effort in their pronunciation, to make the English sound as pure as possible. Accentless English you might say, although that’s how it sounds to my Dutch ears, a native English speaker might notice a slight Swedish accent now and then. (I am talking about young ABBA, clearly the years away from the spotlight made their accents more noticeable now, though I do prefer how they sound now as it reveals more of their personalities, it feels even more authentic to me now).
    I am not even a native English speaker but studied linguistics including phonology of the English language many years ago. What I always find quite charming then when listening to Abba is that they often use a voiceless s-sound where a native speaker puts a more voiced s. In phonetic alphabet sign (IPA) this would be the usage of /s/ while it actually should be /z/.

For example 'music' is pronounced like musssick or 'easy' as easssy. Sometimes I thought they left it there deliberately because it sounds so cute. For me it's almost like a trademark or signature of them.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 28th September 2021 at 17:09. Reason: fixed quote formatting

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th September 2021), Bluegreen (3rd October 2021), BoR (28th September 2021), ExomatrixTV (28th September 2021), Gemma13 (28th September 2021), Harmony (4th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), RunningDeer (28th September 2021), Stephanie (3rd October 2021)

3. Link to Post #102
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

This fun review appeared in The New Statesman. Abba fans may enjoy reading it.

I had to listen again to “The Name Of The Game”. (It's true! It goes 'ABCDEF'.) And another recent reaction video (they're still coming) pointed out that in “Don’t Shut Me Down”, the key actually changes twice. I must have heard that dozens of times now, but I never realized.
    ~~~

Abba are back – with the old magic intact

Nostalgic, luxurious and mind-bogglingly complicated, Abba’s new music maintains its legacy of stadium hooks and pop song intelligence.

I once heard about a Cambridge student who had done a PhD in the music of Abba. It seemed novel at the time, but Abba songs are highly complex. Good pop hits stand out because they contain clever little tweaks to conventional structure, but Abba go further than most.

While an ordinary verse-chorus song repeats two or three melodies in an ABABCA structure, Abba’s “The Name Of The Game” goes – wait for it – ABCDEF! Really! Six distinct tunes uncurling in your ear, in a way you barely notice.

“I Still Have Faith In You” is a lush, stately ballad pre-tooled for a stadium to sing. Its prettiest bits stretch down into low registers – quite unusual in contemporary music.

The second new track, “Don’t Shut Me Down”, is another beast entirely. Its opening has a West End feel, like Evita’s tentative address to the masses, but then it whizzes with a “Dancing Queen” mirrorball glissando into squelchy 1980s disco, giving the impression it’s going to be straightforward.

But then it mutates, and mutates into something wonderful and strange, climbing from its funky base camp up through more levels than I can count (I have tried), delivering one melody, then lifting up to another, wearing its complicated structure so lightly that the only sign it’s completely bonkers is how difficult it is to sing afterwards. I challenge any musicologist to explain what is going on. It is worthy of a PhD. But the best thing, as ever, is that it works without even taking note of its complexity.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Gemma13 (4th October 2021), Harmony (4th October 2021), Ivanhoe (4th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), onevoice (4th October 2021), RunningDeer (4th October 2021), Stephanie (6th October 2021), Yoda (4th October 2021)

5. Link to Post #103
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Wow. Thanks for posting this article Bill.  Not a day goes by now that I don't listen to "Don't Shut Me Down".

When trying to meditate over the years I could never comfortably sit and drift off to waterfall noises and dolphins playing.  Always made me anxious.  I wanted to get up and go sit under the waterfall and swim with the dolphins.

In an unexpected bizarre twist, when I listen to this Abba song I am instantly transported into a meditative state where clarity is super heightened.  It's as if my heart has been retuned by their sound frequency.

Just writing this made me remember a story in Quantusum, (a great novel by James Mahu), where a Tibetan Lama finds Solomon and literally retunes his energetic heart frequencies after his heart transplant and this sends him on a completely different life path.

Here's a short excerpt that seems appropriate in helping describe what this Abba song does to me that is so powerful.  

"I will strike the heart's keys, and this chord will harmonise your heart and mind, and they will unite.  You must stop this foolish doubt that has seized you for an entire lifetime.  With two minds you dither into sleep.  You become like an awakened stone.
    Your eyes will pivot to look within, and you will have no choice but to trust your new heart, as everything around you is re-created.  But this, this trust, is what is being born and forged here."

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th October 2021), Harmony (5th October 2021), Heart to heart (15th October 2021), Ivanhoe (6th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (5th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), RunningDeer (4th October 2021), Stephanie (6th October 2021)

7. Link to Post #104
    Thanks

Although I'd intended this thread as a tribute to the magic of a group of four highly talented musicians who are timelessly all now in their 70s (still hard to believe!), it too is morphing wonderfully and strangely, as per the terrific New Statesman article I posted above.

I do promise I'm not descending into any kind of trivia here. (It's a balance thing. My head is full of legitimate global concerns most of the time. So this is just all rather a healing respite. )

I'm not one of those ABBA fans who have the entire box set of everything they've ever done, and know all the words to every one of their songs. I might be familiar with a third of their entire output. That means that though I absolutely know how complex and marvelous many of their compositions were, for me there are still undiscovered delights.

Here's one. It just blew my mind with its sheer fun, ingenuity, musical complexity, and the way it's all put together. Like the author of the New Statesman article, I defy anyone to actually try to sing this in the shower.

For anyone who enjoys ABBA but who (like me) doesn't know all their songs, I highly, highly recommend this. It's a lighthearted work of pure genius.

It might never have been a hit simply because (a) it's uncategorizable (though I think the dance beat is a tango), and (b) it's so frivolous that they clearly had a ball making it, and it can't be taken seriously... though the songwriting is yet another masterclass.

Here's the best sequence:

1) Listen to the audio only. Here it is:

https://projectavalon.net/Head_Over_Heels.mp3

2) THEN watch the video. It's very, very funny. The reason why you have to hear the audio-only first is because the silliness (and self-deprecation!) in the video can detract from the musical appreciation. It's a marvel of clever complex composition.

And here are the lyrics, as creative, expansive and rich as ever. Watch Bjorn in the video when the narrative gets to
    "Her man is one I admire
    He's so courageous but he's constantly tired"

I have a very good friend
    The kind of girl who likes to follow a trend
    She has a personal style
    Some people like it, others tend to go wild

You hear her voice everywhere
    Taking the chair
    She's a leading lady
    And with no trace of hesitation she keeps going

Head over heels
    Breaking her way
    Pushing through unknown jungles every day
    She's a girl with a taste for the world
    (The world is like a playing ground where she goes rushing)
    Head over heels
    Setting the pace
    Running the gauntlet in a whirl of lace
    She's extreme, if you know what I mean

Her man is one I admire
    He's so courageous but he's constantly tired
    Each time when he speaks his mind
    She pats his head and says, "That's all very fine"

"Exert that will of your own
    When you're alone
    Now we'd better hurry"

Head over heels
    Breaking her way
    Head over heels
    Setting the pace

You hear her voice everywhere
    Taking the chair
    She's a leading lady
    Head over heels
    Breaking her way
    Head over heels
    Setting the pace

And she goes
    Head over heels

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Bluegreen (7th October 2021), Gemma13 (6th October 2021), Harmony (7th October 2021), Heart to heart (15th October 2021), Ivanhoe (6th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), rgray222 (6th October 2021), RunningDeer (6th October 2021), Stephanie (6th October 2021), wondering (7th October 2021), Yoda (6th October 2021)

9. Link to Post #105
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

That was awesome Bill.  Like you I've been an Abba fan forever but never looked too far past all their hits.    Love the lyrics too

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th October 2021), Harmony (7th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (7th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), RunningDeer (6th October 2021), Stephanie (7th October 2021), wondering (7th October 2021)

11. Link to Post #106
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,396 times in 4,297 posts

I do vaguely remember that one. Looking it up, it came out in '81 and was one of their their last hits. You can clearly hear the shift in tempo and use of a synth, so it was perhaps a glimpse of what they would become in the 1980s.

Abba is one of many artists/bands who ended, I think, prematurely, and where I wonder how different the musical landscape of the future would have been had they stuck around. Freddie Mercury is another for very different reasons, and most certainly Lennon. There are many more.

I'd like to share another track and keep this thread going. This was not a hit in the UK - it was an album song and not even released as a single - yet it remains one of my favourites. I also think it's one of their most powerful songs. It's not a pop track though, but a soaring, mystical journey into some other space or time. That's as much down to the lyrics, or rather the poetry, as the haunting melody.

They came flying from far away
    Now I'm under their spell
    I love hearing the stories that they tell
    They've seen places beyond my land
    And they've found new horizons
    They speak strangely but I understand

And I dream I'm an eagle
    And I dream I can spread my wings
    Flying high, high, I'm a bird in the sky
    I'm an eagle that rides on the breeze

High, high, what a feeling to fly
    Over mountains and forests and seas
    And to go anywhere that I please

As all good friends we talk all night
    And we fly wing to wing
    I have questions and they know everything
    There's no limit to what I feel
    We climb higher and higher
    Am I dreaming or is it all real?

Is it true I'm an eagle?
    Is it true I can spread my wings?
    (I'm an eagle)

(What a feeling)

And I dream I'm an eagle
    And I dream I can spread my wings

(I'm an eagle)

(What a feeling)

High, high, I'm a bird in the sky
    (I'm an eagle)

(What a feeling)
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2021), Bluegreen (7th October 2021), Brigantia (23rd October 2021), Gemma13 (7th October 2021), Harmony (7th October 2021), Heart to heart (15th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), RunningDeer (7th October 2021), Stephanie (7th October 2021)

13. Link to Post #107
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Thanks StarMariner, I'd forgotten about this one, especially the lyrics.
    Quote As all good friends we talk all night
    And we fly wing to wing
    BILL ~ you wouldn't happen to have a music only link for Don't Shut Me Down, like the one you posted for Head Over Heels, would ya?

I've pre-ordered their new album, (notice all the vinyl has sold out), but would love to be able to download this song now to play at will on my phone.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2021), Harmony (7th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), RunningDeer (7th October 2021), Stephanie (8th October 2021)

15. Link to Post #108
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    BILL ~ you wouldn't happen to have a music only link for Don't Shut Me Down, like the one you posted for Head Over Heels, would ya?
    https://projectavalon.net/Don't_Shut_Me_Down.mp3

(And probably almost anything else you'd like me to post as an mp3, too )

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Gemma13 (7th October 2021), Harmony (7th October 2021), Heart to heart (15th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (8th October 2021), Mercedes (7th October 2021), RunningDeer (7th October 2021), Stephanie (8th October 2021), Yoda (8th October 2021)

17. Link to Post #109
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,292 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    Thanks StarMariner, I'd forgotten about this one, especially the lyrics.
    Quote As all good friends we talk all night
    And we fly wing to wing

I've pre-ordered their new album, (notice all the vinyl has sold out), but would love to be able to download this song now to play at will on my phone.
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    https://projectavalon.net/Don't_Shut_Me_Down.mp3

(And probably almost anything else you'd like me to post as an mp3, too )

UPDATE: Oops, my browser was open while I constructed the post, so I missed yours. Feel free to delete mine.
    • iTunes has “Don’t Shut Me Down (Instrumental)”, but it’s from a different artist.
    While you wait for Bill to work his music audio magic...

ABBA - "Don't Shut Me Down" [CLEAN INSTRUMENTAL]

ABBA - Don't Shut Me Down (Instrumental)
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 7th October 2021 at 22:04.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2021), Gemma13 (7th October 2021), Harmony (7th October 2021), Heart to heart (15th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (8th October 2021), Mercedes (7th October 2021), Stephanie (8th October 2021)

19. Link to Post #110
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Thankyou Bill and Paula... sooo happy with this download link

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th October 2021), Harmony (7th October 2021), Mercedes (7th October 2021), RunningDeer (7th October 2021), Stephanie (8th October 2021)

21. Link to Post #111
    Thanks

Last night I was chilling out by watching some recent ABBA interviews (some in Swedish, with English subtitles). I won't link them here, but for me they were delightful and fascinating.

They all shared how genuinely astonished they were by their success in the 70s and 80s — and the decades that followed. Benny said that they all really did think their songs would all be forgotten within a year or two.

And they were blown away by the recent reaction to the two new songs. "Fans were actually crying!", said Agnetha, in disbelief. (And indeed they were — tens of thousands of them.)

Part of their multi-generational appeal has been how genuinely nice, decent, modest people they all are. Here's one wonderful anecdote shared by Frida:

Several years back, an ABBA fan had been driven to suicide by events in his life. He drove to a remote spot, with his rifle. On the way there, he played one last ABBA song in his car: The Way Old Friends Do.

That changed his mind. It turned his life around. He returned to his wife, and told her everything. Then he wrote a letter to Frida.

Frida read it all, was immensely moved, and replied at length. They then corresponded regularly until the man later passed away of natural causes. I was left wondering how many other superstars take that much sincere personal care with some of their fans.

22. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (15th October 2021), Billy Vasiliadis (15th October 2021), Bluegreen (23rd October 2021), Donald Ryan (15th October 2021), Gemma13 (15th October 2021), happyuk (15th October 2021), Harmony (15th October 2021), Heart to heart (15th October 2021), kudzy (17th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), Ol' Roy (24th October 2021), rgray222 (16th October 2021), RunningDeer (15th October 2021), Stephanie (21st October 2021), wondering (15th October 2021), Yoda (15th October 2021)

23. Link to Post #112
    Thanks

And another fun story. (There are many. )

Soon after the two couples got together, they all went on vacation. That was the first time they all started to see if they could sing as a foursome.

"Oh, that must have been wonderful", said the interviewer.

"No, it was awful", said Benny. "But that's when Bjorn and I realized the girls could really sing."

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Gemma13 (15th October 2021), Harmony (22nd October 2021), Heart to heart (15th October 2021), kudzy (17th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (15th October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), onevoice (19th October 2021), rgray222 (16th October 2021), RunningDeer (15th October 2021), Stephanie (21st October 2021), wondering (15th October 2021), Yoda (15th October 2021)

25. Link to Post #113
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

Just released today. An old song they never released back in the day.

"Just A Notion"

Just a notion, that's all
    Just a funny feeling deep inside (A-ha-ha)
    That you're out there waiting
    You're not sure I'm alone
    And you wonder if I'm occupied (A-ha-ha)
    So you're hesitating

Just a notion
    That you'll be walking up to me
    In a while and you'll smile and say hello
    And we'll be dancing through the night
    Knowing everything from thereon must be right

Just a notion
    But somehow I know I'm not wrong
    There's something happening that I just can't explain
    If I try it's all in vain because it's

Just a notion, that's all
    Just a feeling that you're watching me (A-ha-ha)
    Every move I'm making
    Am I reading your mind?
    'Cause it's almost like you're touching me (A-ha-ha)
    There is no mistaking

Just a notion
    That you'll be walking up to me
    In a while and you'll smile and say hello
    And we'll be dancing through the night
    Knowing everything from thereon must be right

Just a notion
    But somehow I know I'm not wrong
    It is our destiny, there's nothing we can do
    And tonight is very special
    It's a night for me and you

(A-ha-ha, a-ha-ha, a-ha-ha)
    (A-ha-ha, a-ha-ha)
    I, I think it's more than a notion (A-ha-ha)
    Give me more than you're dreaming, step up to the truth
    (A-ha-ha)
    (A-ha-ha, a-ha-ha, a-ha-ha)
    (A-ha-ha, a-ha-ha)

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Ankle Biter (24th October 2021), Bill Ryan (22nd October 2021), Bluegreen (23rd October 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (22nd October 2021), Harmony (22nd October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (22nd October 2021), Mercedes (22nd October 2021), Open Minded Dude (22nd October 2021), RunningDeer (22nd October 2021), Stephanie (22nd October 2021)

27. Link to Post #114
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yes I like 'Just a Notion', very good indeed! Classic Abba all round. I can almost hear it coming out of the radio back in the day. Not surprising when the original track dates to 1978:

Quote The track was originally recorded in September 1978 but didn't make the final cut of their 1979 album Voulez-Vous, with Bjorn admitting it's still a 'mystery' as to why the upbeat tune wasn't included in the final listing.

The songwriter explained: 'Wikipedia says this track was recorded in September 1978, which sounds about right. That puts it in between ABBA the Album and Voulez-Vous, and it would have been included in the latter had we not decided against it. Why did we decide against it? In hindsight, I don't have a clue...

'It's a good song with great vocals. I know that we played it to a publisher in France and a couple of other people we trusted and as far as I can remember they liked it very much. So it's a mystery and will remain a mystery.'

The remastered track features original vocals the four members laid down in 1978, with new drums and guitars.

The Waterloo hitmaker continued: 'Now Benny has recorded a new backing track to which we've added drums and guitars, but all vocals are from the original 1978 tracks.

'In a way, it demonstrates what we plan to do with ABBA Voyage in 2022. There, we will have a live band playing, but all vocals will be from the old recordings. He added: 'Just a Notion is a ridiculously happy song and hopefully it will cheer you up in these dark times!'

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...um-Voyage.html
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Ankle Biter (24th October 2021), Bill Ryan (22nd October 2021), Bluegreen (23rd October 2021), Gemma13 (22nd October 2021), Harmony (24th October 2021), Mercedes (23rd October 2021), RunningDeer (22nd October 2021), Stephanie (22nd October 2021)

29. Link to Post #115
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,334 times in 635 posts

Interesting comparison between the 1978 demo version and this new one.

Btw, I like the look of the new Avatars ... er ... ABBA-tars.

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Ankle Biter (24th October 2021), avid (23rd October 2021), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2021), Bluegreen (23rd October 2021), Gemma13 (23rd October 2021), Harmony (24th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th October 2021), Mercedes (23rd October 2021), RunningDeer (23rd October 2021)

31. Link to Post #116
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,573 times in 2,645 posts

After checking out La Palma eruption, et al, this Abba -eration is totally doolally, check-out of reality, but back to the ghastly vibes tomorrow…
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Ankle Biter (24th October 2021), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2021), Gemma13 (23rd October 2021), Harmony (24th October 2021), Mercedes (23rd October 2021), RunningDeer (23rd October 2021)

33. Link to Post #117
    Finland Avalon Member muxfolder's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 times in 668 posts

I have to say as a musician that I've started to realize Abba is almost the most perfect pop band there is. It was 10 years ago when I really started to realize how complicated the song really are. It's almost like The Beatles but it's not at all like that. I wish I had realized this when I started to play guitar. Should have learned some Abba back then when I started rather than those simplier riffs. It was all Metallica for me. But I I've learned a lot of things musically afterwards because I found how perfect Abba is. And I started playing piano as well because I wanted to learn something new. That's how you'll learn some theory. Try to learn to play Abba songs.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Ankle Biter (24th October 2021), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2021), Bluegreen (5th November 2021), Did You See Them (5th November 2021), Gemma13 (23rd October 2021), Harmony (24th October 2021), Mercedes (23rd October 2021), RunningDeer (23rd October 2021)

35. Link to Post #118
    Ecuador Avalon Member Rosemarie's Avatar
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 311 posts

There is a new ABBA song out. Tomorrow the album Voyage comes out. I have forgotten how to post. Hope the video is here. If not , please delete this post.
    "Be kind for everybody is fighting a great battle" Plato

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th November 2021), Bluegreen (5th November 2021), Gemma13 (5th November 2021), Harmony (5th November 2021), RunningDeer (5th November 2021)

37. Link to Post #119
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th November 2021), RunningDeer (5th November 2021)

39. Link to Post #120
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Listened to a few more from the new album. One of the stronger ones, released today:

~ Jimi Hendrix

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th November 2021), Gemma13 (6th November 2021), RunningDeer (5th November 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 6 8 LastLast