+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frida Kahlo

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,844 times in 2,378 posts

Default Frida Kahlo

Following uzn's posting of the below image, here, that gavee me a gut reaction of 'Wow!', I had to research who this lady was.

I saw an out and out rebel of immense inner fortitude who didn't give a damn about all the usual restraints of society that generally keep the majority in the sheep pen.

Here is what I found.

1907 - 1954

Born Mexico City to a German father, who had (apparently) fled Germany, and a mixed race European/Indigenous mother.

Suffered from Polio (or maybe DTD poisoning*) as a child which led to one leg being significantly shorter that the other and around 18 was involved in a serious crash which left her in pain for the rest of her life and sometimes requiring a wheelchair.

Joined the Mexican Communist Party in 1927 where she met her future husband Diego Rivera. They married in 1929.

With Gisele Freund, the photographer of many of her portraits.

The rest of my info is simply copy/pasted from https://kulturologia.ru/blogs/030915/26097/ , you will need a translation capable browser to read source.

Quote About Mexico's most famous artist Frida Kahlo a lot has been written – probably everyone has heard about her tragic fate, indomitable will, hot temperament and outstanding talent. But only she can tell you more about the artist than any biographers – frank, lively, real, without a gram of falsehood. Such as it appears in rare photos and letters.

"I do not know how to write love letters. But I want to say that my whole being is open to you. Since I fell in love with you, everything has been mixed up and filled with beauty... Love is like a fragrance, like a current, like rain, " Frida Kahlo wrote in 1946 to Jose Bartoli, a Catalan artist.

Frida Kahlo and Jose Bartoli met in New York, where she was recovering from another spinal surgery. Frida confessed that her feelings were as passionate and carnal as they were tender and maternal. The artist returned to Mexico, but their romance continued in letters - from 1946 to 1949. There are 25 of her letters, which Jose Bartoli kept until the end of his life. And recently, they went under the hammer at an auction in New York for $ 137,000.

"Do not deny me other desires, which are all that I feel for you and which can only be caused by love. Bartoli-last night I felt as if many wings were caressing me all over, as if the tips of my fingers were lips that were kissing my skin. The atoms of my body are yours, and they vibrate together, so much do we love each other. I want to live and be strong, to love you with all the tenderness that you deserve, to give you everything that is good in me, so that you don't feel alone."

And in her letters to Nicholas Murray, the author of Frida's photo portraits, she appears quite different: "You have no idea what bitches these people are. They make me sick. They're all so "intellectual" and corrupt that I can't stand them anymore. They sit in cafes for hours, warming their precious asses and talking incessantly about "culture", "art", "revolution" and so on, they poison the air with theories that will never become reality. The next morning, they have nothing to eat at home, because none of them work, and they are parasites on a bouquet of rich bitches who admire their "genius" and " artistry." **** and nothing but ****, that's what they are."

"Damn it! You should come here just to see why Europe is decaying, why all these people - from the good to the insignificant-are the cause of all these Hitlers and Mussolinis. I swear on my life that I hate this place and will continue to hate it along with these people for the rest of my life. Everything is so fake and unreal that they can drive me crazy."

In March 2015, not only quotes from the letters were published, but also rare photographs of Frida Kahlo taken in the last years of her life by photographer Gisele Freund

Frida Kahlo is best known for her vivid self-portraits, and her face can be seen in hundreds of photographs of her and her husband. Diego Rivera . However, few people know that as a child, the future famous artist was photographed on film by her own father, Guillermo Kahlo, and these wonderful pictures allow viewers to see what her life was like before she found fame.

Frida's family lived in a house known as La Casa Azul( blue house), so named because of the cobalt paint that covered the walls. There were always a lot of women around her: her mother Mathilda, four sisters (Frida was the third child) and two cousins. In Guillermo Kahlo's photos, you can see that his daughter was surrounded by the attention and support of her family and friends. Of course, even at a young age, Frida's face is easily recognizable, especially because of her piercing gaze and thick eyebrows, which she always emphasized in her paintings.

At the age of six, when the picture with the bear was taken, Frida had polio, after which her right leg became shorter than the left by several centimeters. Her peers called her "wooden leg", and Frida tried to hide her physical disability from new acquaintances, and therefore later she more and more often wore long skirts or men's suits.

In 1925, another tragedy occurred - Frida got into a car accident, as a result of which an iron rod literally pierced the girl through. Her spine was broken in three places, her ribs were fractured, both thighs were damaged, and her right leg was broken in 11 places. She had undergone more than thirty surgeries and was bedridden for a year. And it was at this time that Frieda picked up the canvas and paints to distract herself from the unbearable pain. The following images were taken after the crash.

Frida Kahlo's paintings have become key in the history of modern art. One of the exhibitions at the Museum of Modern Art in Chicago is dedicated to the influence of Frida Kahlo on the art world and includes the work of many contemporary artists, for whom she became a source of inspiration and a role model.

https://kulturologia.ru/blogs/250115/23052/

Frida in a man's suit.

Frida at age 18.

I have removed the photos from the above quotes for bandwidth isues.

Frida is a lady who I would have got along with very well.

==================================

* - About DDT - today's DDT is Roundup.

Last edited by Ewan; 19th September 2021 at 18:22. Reason: Formatting

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th October 2021), Bill Ryan (19th September 2021), Bluegreen (19th September 2021), earthdreamer (11th October 2021), gord (19th September 2021), haroldsails (19th September 2021), Ioneo (19th September 2021), Kryztian (15th October 2021), Mashika (11th October 2021), Mercedes (19th September 2021), mizo (19th September 2021), Olaf (11th October 2021), pabranno (19th September 2021), Pam (19th September 2021), RunningDeer (11th October 2021), Suzi E (19th September 2021), toppy (20th September 2021), Vangelo (11th October 2021), Victoria (11th October 2021), wondering (19th September 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

Default Re: Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo is one of my favorite artists. One of the highlights of my life was going to an art exhibit of her work along with the work of 2 of my other favorite painters, Emily Carr and Georgia O'keefe. Not only are they wonderful painters their lives are very intriguing as well.

You might be interested in the book, "Frida a Biography of Frida Kahlo. There is also a movie about her life which I highly recommend.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th October 2021), Bill Ryan (19th September 2021), Bluegreen (19th September 2021), Ewan (19th September 2021), gord (19th September 2021), haroldsails (19th September 2021), Ioneo (19th September 2021), Kryztian (15th October 2021), Mashika (11th October 2021), Mercedes (19th September 2021), mizo (19th September 2021), pabranno (19th September 2021), Suzi E (19th September 2021), toppy (20th September 2021), Victoria (11th October 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member pabranno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 times in 318 posts

I saw her exhibition in Houston years ago. So powerful, the pain leaped off the canvas and I publicly cried.
    So powerful I returned 2 more times. Yes, read the autobiography. She was also involved in some high level political intrique due to her ideology, eg Trotsky. What a force.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pabranno For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th October 2021), Bill Ryan (19th September 2021), Bluegreen (19th September 2021), Ewan (19th September 2021), gord (19th September 2021), haroldsails (19th September 2021), Kryztian (15th October 2021), Mashika (11th October 2021), Mercedes (19th September 2021), mizo (19th September 2021), Pam (11th October 2021), Suzi E (19th September 2021), toppy (20th September 2021), Victoria (11th October 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

Ah...

This song was basically intended for her. It is in Spanish, but what most important thing is, the feeling Chavela Vargas put into it, not everything else like language

Chavela Vargas was the girlfriend with "privileges" of Frida, they were that, yes

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th October 2021), Ewan (14th October 2021), haroldsails (16th October 2021), Kryztian (15th October 2021), Pam (11th October 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

This is the last version, i think, that Chavela Vargas played that one song

And in that movie, the one about Frida, she shows up on the kanteen serving drinks to Frida

That is on this video

The old lady on the other side of the table? the "Death figure" That's Chavela Vargas, girlfriend of Frida while growing up

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ankle Biter (11th October 2021), earthdreamer (11th October 2021), Ewan (14th October 2021), haroldsails (16th October 2021), Kryztian (15th October 2021), Pam (11th October 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,592 times in 672 posts

My oldest sister is an artist who currently makes dolls for display. These are two of them. One is Frida when when she was ill as a child, and the other is late in life after her gangrenous leg was amputated above the knee.
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

Ewan (21st October 2021), haroldsails (16th October 2021), Kryztian (15th October 2021)

+ Reply to Thread