+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Future Humans - a children’s guide

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,082 times in 869 posts

Default Future Humans - a children’s guide

In 2019 a book was published called Future Humans (What’s the issue) by Tom Jackson (author) and Cristina Guitian (illustrator).

https://books.google.co.uk/books/abo...=1&redir_esc=y

Chapter titles include;
    -The future human is you
    -The evolution of you
    -Genetic Modification
    -Clones
    -Nanotechnology
    -Cyborg enhancements
    -Post Human Species
    -Is this a simulation

The authors note states that this book will help you decide for yourself, giving you informed consent and that it’s agenda is to help you decide for yourself.
    “Opinions matter, what will yours be?”

Other exerts of the book read as follows;

How do you feel about nanotechnology working inside your body?
    Is it okay so long as they help you? Would you worry that they could be out there without your permission or knowledge?”

“A future technology called ‘mind uploading might make all that unnecessary [your consciousness fading with age] we could transfer our consciousness to a computer where it exists forever. Some say it’s impossible, other day we will be doing it before 2050.”

“A lot of nanotechnology will use a form of pure carbon called Graphene. Graphene is super strong, it conducts electricity and can be formed into tubes and balls. The future could be made from graphene.”

“Imagine a machine so small it can be injected into your body. This is nanotechnology. Such a machine would be the size of a virus md it could travel around the body in the blood and go in and out of cells. It may sound like sci-fi but it’s already a thing.”

“Population control- are there too many human beings? if the birth rate stays the same, the human population will top out at around 11 billion in the second half of this century.”

It goes on and on in bite sized chunks of information aimed at children of school age.

About the author:
    Tom Jackson has written and contributed to many books covering everything from axolotls to zoroastrianism, including titles such as So You Want to Build a Human, Bees: Heroes of the Garden, Chilled, and Basher Science: Engineering. His specialties are natural history, technology and all things scientific. He is based in Bristol.

https://tomjackson.weebly.com/

The above link takes you to his blog where he states “ I'm a non-fiction author and project editor. I'm available for project development, writing, project management“

I was about to start researching into who may be funding Tom, then I stumbled across another book he has written;

Fake News: Censorship ? Hows ? Whys ? Secret Agendas ? Wrongs ? Rights ? Conspiracy Theories ? The Media vs Politicians ? Wiki Leaks
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49088759-fake-news

Someone reviewing this book seems to sum it up perfectly
    “ Tom Jackson sets out to explore difficult issues and help the readers make their own informed opinions. I loved the way he started this book by asking the question of whether we live in the post-truth world where facts don't matter, while everybody is supposed to have an opinion even if they don't know much about the topic. After having read this book, you are definitely going to have a deeper understanding of various aspects related to news, communication, different media, censorship and how the Internet has been changing the way we make and consume the news. There are various factoids and history bits that are both entertaining and memorable, although my favourite feature of the book is its thought-provoking question prompts.”

Kudos to this author for trying to give informed consent to our younger generations in a world that currently seems hell bent on making personal choice a luxury we no longer deserve.

I’m guessing we won’t be seeing these books introduced into the education curriculum anytime soon!
    Last edited by Sérénité; 1st October 2021 at 11:04.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Sérénité For This Post:

amandapoet (22nd October 2021), Bill Ryan (1st October 2021), Brigantia (1st October 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (1st October 2021), Docim369 (2nd October 2021), ExomatrixTV (1st October 2021), gord (1st October 2021), gs_powered (1st October 2021), Gwin Ru (1st October 2021), Ioneo (1st October 2021), Kryztian (1st October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (1st October 2021), mizo (2nd October 2021), Pam (1st October 2021), Stephanie (2nd October 2021), Suzi E (1st October 2021), tessfreq (1st October 2021), toppy (1st October 2021)

+ Reply to Thread