Thread: Иди и смотри - "Come and See"

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

Default Иди и смотри - "Come and See"

ETA: The video is blocked in most western countries! Surprise surprise!

If you can use a proxy or vpn, this is the direct link. How upsetting this is, truly!

https://youtu.be/UkkJZweYaLI

When i as around 11, i was forbidden to watch this movie, which of course made me go watch it even more lol. This is still one of the worst/sad/better experiences in life for me

In Russia, a lot of the culture goes in several ways, around war and specially WW2 and what we call "the patriotic war". So there are lots of movies pushing the idea of war and such

But this movie, it's anti-war, you will have to see it to understand

Please don't watch if you are currently sad or depressed, trust me!

Also enable the subtitles, this is not dubbed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

Last edited by Mashika; 7th October 2021 at 06:55.
    Tired

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Casey Claar (25th October 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), ExomatrixTV (7th October 2021), Harmony (7th October 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Ivanhoe (7th October 2021), JackWhite (21st December 2021), jimbobule (7th October 2021), lake (21st December 2021), mizo (7th October 2021), mountain_jim (21st December 2021), muxfolder (12th October 2021), palehorse (24th December 2021), section9 (10th May 2023), Snoweagle (25th October 2022), Spiral (25th October 2022), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Suzi E (7th October 2021), Tintin (24th December 2021), Vicus (25th October 2022), william r sanford72 (7th October 2021), Wind (7th October 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Иди и смотри - "Come and See"

Recently, very often mentions of this film come across.
    Thanks for the link.
    I will definitely take a look.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JackWhite For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ewan (9th May 2023), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (21st December 2021), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (24th December 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

It says that the video is unavailable, not region blocked. I do have a VPN. Is this the same movie (different link):
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd May 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (21st December 2021), Snoweagle (25th October 2022), Tintin (24th December 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,209 times in 938 posts

Quote Posted by Malisa (here)
    ETA: The video is blocked in most western countries! Surprise surprise!

If you can use a proxy or vpn, this is the direct link. How upsetting this is, truly!

https://youtu.be/UkkJZweYaLI

When i as around 11, i was forbidden to watch this movie, which of course made me go watch it even more lol. This is still one of the worst/sad/better experiences in life for me

In Russia, a lot of the culture goes in several ways, around war and specially WW2 and what we call "the patriotic war". So there are lots of movies pushing the idea of war and such

But this movie, it's anti-war, you will have to see it to understand

Please don't watch if you are currently sad or depressed, trust me!

Also enable the subtitles, this is not dubbed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

For the uninitiated: "Come and see" is a 1985 Soviet anti-war film dealing with the Nazi occupation of Belarus.

I'm finding that standard Google searches are starting to suck big time these days, I'm finding yandex.com (a Russian search engine!) increasingly useful.

I managed to found a version here Malisa, if that helps, though I'd love to find one with English subtitles again, I used to have this.

https://yandex.com/video/preview/?te...89587108417199
    Last edited by happyuk; 21st December 2021 at 13:31.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd May 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (21st December 2021), mountain_jim (21st December 2021), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (24th December 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,929 times in 1,622 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    It says that the video is unavailable, not region blocked. I do have a VPN. Is this the same movie (different link):

yes, it is...I saw it 2 years ago, I was just looking for movies and it catch my eyes how was described: the most horrific movie without been a horror movie...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd May 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (21st December 2021), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (24th December 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,334 times in 635 posts

Quote Posted by Vicus (here)
    the most horrific movie without been a horror movie...
    This is also more or less the core statment of the review which I saw about a year or so. Found it still on YT:

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ewan (9th May 2023), Hym (22nd December 2021), Ivanhoe (25th October 2022), Mashika (21st December 2021), Snoweagle (25th October 2022), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (24th December 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by Open Minded Dude (here)
    Quote Posted by Vicus (here)
    the most horrific movie without been a horror movie...
    This is also more or less the core statement of the review which I saw about a year or so. Found it still on YT:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RR0R7zsd7D8
    Excellent. (And this has English subtitles.) For anyone who can't access or see it, it's now in the Avalon Library.

https://avalonlibrary.net/Come_and_See_%281985%29.mp4

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 9th May 2023 at 17:57.

14. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Casey Claar (25th October 2022), edina (25th October 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), happyuk (21st December 2021), Ivanhoe (25th October 2022), kudzy (26th October 2022), lake (21st December 2021), Mashika (21st December 2021), mountain_jim (21st December 2021), Open Minded Dude (21st December 2021), Snoweagle (22nd December 2021), Spiral (24th December 2021), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (24th December 2021), Vicus (25th October 2022), Yoda (21st December 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 810 posts

This is also a very harsh and currently 'maybe coming on-topic' film about actions which did occur ....

The Chekist (1992) - EN subtitles

The film is set during the Russian Civil War in the period of the Red Terror. In a provincial Cheka (the All-Russian Emergency Commission for Combating Counter-Revolution and Sabotage) office in an unnamed small town, a routine bureaucratic work is taking place. Every day, a Cheka troika tribunal made of director Srubov and his assistants Pepel and Katz reads out a long list of all kinds of real and perceived counter-revolutionaries and class enemies. Those arrested are always immediately found guilty and the sentence, regardless of the accusation, gender and age of the person, is the same - to be shot.

The terrible conveyor of death operates in the basement, overseen by Srubov: the prisoners are systematically taken out of their cell, ordered to undress, placed against the wall in fives, and shot, usually in the back of the head. Following the secret killings, the naked corpses are then dragged by feet through a special window in the cellar, loaded into a truck, and taken away, to forever disappear without a trace.

Source: Watch on Vimeo

Normal..!

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lake For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2021), Ewan (9th May 2023), happyuk (21st December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (21st December 2021), Snoweagle (22nd December 2021), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (24th December 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Wanted to give my thoughts on this: So I watched the entire movie which surprised me. I never watch movie recommendations, not out of spite but just because I don't care too much and I have 100 other movies I want to watch at any given time. I guess this was meant to be. I thought I should watch the first 5 minutes to make sure it's the same thing Malisa is talking about. I suppose one scene led to another and I ended up watching the whole movie.

It's an important film for sure. I think Americans in general should watch it. Speaking for US citizens, we don't think about land invasions. I didn't know until my early 20s what the Russians went through in WW2. This isn't due to a shoddy education system but an extremely effective brainwashing/human die casting technique. I learned of Russia's involvement because I would (and still do) read a lot. Many if not most in the US are still in the mindset that the US stormed in on the Nazi's and saved the world. So I think if folks in the US watched this then that would create curiosity in at least some people to look into what Russia sacrificed. At least google the stats.. it's really damming.

It's not entirely entertaining and in fact some scenes you may want to look away. However, that's the point. This film isn't trying to entertain you with scenes of heroism but to send a message by demonstrating the horrors of war and conflict. Some shots are held too long but I believe this is intentional. It's ironic because I want to say "They weren't trying to win awards when they made this movie" but they did. Surely it won awards because it broke a mold and 1000% did the job of sending a message.

Now what I have to say next is something that I can't get out of my head. How could this movie possibly be an anti war movie? It demonstrates the necessity of war. Of course not all war is necessary, but some are. It especially confuses me that this is a Russian film and of all wars they used WW2 as an example of war being wrong. If Russia didn't participate in the war against the Nazi's then this movie would have never been made. Thoughts?
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd December 2021), Casey Claar (25th October 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), happyuk (23rd December 2021), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (24th December 2021), Spiral (24th December 2021), Tintin (24th December 2021), wondering (24th December 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,334 times in 635 posts

Sometimes films have to be 'graphic' to make a point and leave the impression intended when it is about unspeakable historic atrocities.

I remember as a teen I was absolutely shocked by the ending of "Soldier Blue" which actually had started and gone along as a normal "Western" movie but then ended with the depiction of the historic Sand Creek massacre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre

Has anyone seen or remembered this film? It's a movie to be recommended, too, for sure.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd December 2021), Casey Claar (25th October 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), Hym (22nd December 2021), Mashika (24th December 2021), Satori (25th October 2022), Snoweagle (27th December 2021), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (24th December 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

How could this movie possibly be an anti war movie? It demonstrates the necessity of war. Of course not all war is necessary, but some are. It especially confuses me that this is a Russian film and of all wars they used WW2 as an example of war being wrong. If Russia didn't participate in the war against the Nazi's then this movie would have never been made. Thoughts?
    When you go out there, you go with firm beliefs in something like "my country" or "the honor" or "the people"

But once someone points a gun at you, then it turns into "my life" and you point your gun at them and shoot

It becomes a "you or me" game "And nothing else matters"

That's pretty much it. You may get a medal, or a few, depending on how you got out of there. And you will get out of there in some way at the end, but none of that matters at the time you are just trying to keep yourself alive, and you have to deal with dead people all over the place and kill some yourself and see your friends drop and at the end of the day or at 5 am regroup and see some are not there anymore and "assume what must be assumed"

That's the basics of it all

And that's why this is an anti-war movie, do you want to go live through that? On all sides? Germans were happy to invade, not so happy when they were invaded and the same happened to them back home. The idea is, if you can cause it "to them" chances are "they can cause it to you" as well

War is war, right? And death is death, nationality is of no consequence
    Tired

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th December 2021), Casey Claar (25th October 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), Hym (24th December 2021), Ivanhoe (25th October 2022), lisalu (25th October 2022), Snoweagle (27th December 2021), Spiral (25th October 2022), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Strat (24th December 2021), Tintin (24th December 2021), Vicus (10th May 2023)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

How could this movie possibly be an anti war movie? It demonstrates the necessity of war. Of course not all war is necessary, but some are. It especially confuses me that this is a Russian film and of all wars they used WW2 as an example of war being wrong. If Russia didn't participate in the war against the Nazi's then this movie would have never been made. Thoughts?
    When you go out there, you go with firm beliefs in something like "my country" or "the honor" or "the people"

But once someone points a gun at you, then it turns into "my life" and you point your gun at them and shoot

That's pretty much it. You may get a medal, or a few, depending on how you got out of there. And you will get out of there in some way at the end, but none of that matters at the time you are just trying to keep yourself alive, and you have to deal with dead people all over the place and kill some yourself and see your friends drop and at the end of the day or at 5 am regroup and see some are not there anymore and "assume what must be assumed"

This is inconsistent with what I hear from veterans from multiple wars. I have heard that the wars get more personal after watching friends die, but there's never any assuming. On top of that veterans my age always want to go back.

And that's why this is an anti-war movie, do you want to go live through that? On all sides? Germans were happy to invade, not so happy when they were invaded and the same happened to them back home. The idea is, if you can cause it "to them" chances are "they can cause it to you" as well
    Yeah but that's just it... They invaded. If there was no push back you might not exist right now or you would be speaking German. How many of your people would have been slaughtered in a death factory? You truly think it would be best to allow that to happen or simply ask them to stop? Do you need a convincing reason to fight back? There is a bigger picture that you're fighting for.

Remember the scene where all the villagers are thrown in a barn and burned? Would you just allow them to move on and continue to do this?

I disagree with the first two. War is war and death is death is a gross oversimplification. Certain wars are necessary whereas others are just one nation overstepping it's bounds. US history is a great example of this with our history of bs wars but several were necessary.

Regarding death is death. There's a difference between dying in a home surrounded by loved ones or being thrown in a mass grave and shot.

I appreciate this conversation, you're obviously not the only one to say this film is anti war. Like I said I'm trying to wrap my head around this. But the whole concept of anti war just seems really out of touch to me. Kinda like saying "wouldn't it be neat if money grew on trees" yeah that'd be awesome but it doesn't. It's like suggesting all countries just agree to abolish all their armies simultaneously and everyone works together from here on out. That will not happen in 1000 years.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th December 2021), Ewan (9th May 2023), Mashika (24th December 2021), Snoweagle (27th December 2021), Spiral (25th October 2022), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Vicus (10th May 2023)

25. Link to Post #13
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

This is inconsistent with what I hear from veterans from multiple wars. I have heard that the wars get more personal after watching friends die, but there's never any assuming. On top of that veterans my age always want to go back.

Yeah but that's just it... They invaded. If there was no push back you might not exist right now or you would be speaking German. How many of your people would have been slaughtered in a death factory? You truly think it would be best to allow that to happen or simply ask them to stop? Do you need a convincing reason to fight back? There is a bigger picture that you're fighting for.

Remember the scene where all the villagers are thrown in a barn and burned? Would you just allow them to move on and continue to do this?

I disagree with the first two. War is war and death is death is a gross oversimplification. Certain wars are necessary whereas others are just one nation overstepping it's bounds. US history is a great example of this with our history of bs wars but several were necessary.

Regarding death is death. There's a difference between dying in a home surrounded by loved ones or being thrown in a mass grave and shot.

I appreciate this conversation, you're obviously not the only one to say this film is anti war. Like I said I'm trying to wrap my head around this. But the whole concept of anti war just seems really out of touch to me. Kinda like saying "wouldn't it be neat if money grew on trees" yeah that'd be awesome but it doesn't. It's like suggesting all countries just agree to abolish all their armies simultaneously and everyone works together from here on out. That will not happen in 1000 years.
    When the zone is hot as hell and someone doesn't return in 24 hours or so, you "assume" they are dead or MIA. You can't go there looking for them, and that also happened in all wars before, you just can't go looking and die too. I don't know what you are referencing here otherwise

Quote Regarding death is death. There's a difference between dying in a home surrounded by loved ones or being thrown in a mass grave and shot.
    If you die, you are alive one second, the next one you are not. See this is a difference between views, if you fall from a very tall building, the moment you hit the ground and your brain goes out, you are dead, one moment to another makes all the difference. Same thing i am talking about, one moment you are alive, one moment you are not. On war, you have to understand that life ends like this, and you have to come to terms that you may not have a peaceful death moment surrounded by loved ones. Because you can become a dead person right there on the road at any time, if you get hit by a sniper out of nowhere. See?

Life is hard for a soldier, that's what i was trying to say. Normal ideals or expectations about death don't apply if your brain gets blown out by a sniper while you were drinking your soda can sitting there while on your lunch break

War and enemy doesn't care

ETA:

If you go for a walk or to the convenience store and a truck or car goes out of the way and runs over you, then you may die. Not on war, and not on your bed, but you die. Explain the difference. You were alive and then went for your soda can, then you are dead, someone will have to call your family to explain.

If you die, you die. We all die, one way or another, on time. Why is that so hard to accept?
    Last edited by Mashika; 24th December 2021 at 09:02.
    Tired

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th December 2021), Ewan (9th May 2023), Ivanhoe (25th October 2022), Snoweagle (27th December 2021), Spiral (25th October 2022), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Strat (24th December 2021), Tintin (10th May 2023), Vicus (10th May 2023)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I don't mind replying to all of this, but I think my salient point has been ignored. The Nazi's had to be stopped and therefore the war against them was absolutely necessary. Agreed? This is an extremely important point to clear up.

We can debate these other points if you wish, totally fine by me. And they are interesting thoughts. But I want to be sure we're on the same page here and I'm not going to debate anything else until this is settled.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th December 2021), Ewan (9th May 2023), Mashika (24th December 2021), Spiral (24th December 2021), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (10th May 2023), Vicus (10th May 2023)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

I don't mind replying to all of this, but I think my salient point has been ignored. The Nazi's had to be stopped and therefore the war against them was absolutely necessary. Agreed? This is an extremely important point to clear up.

We can debate these other points if you wish, totally fine by me. And they are interesting thoughts. But I want to be sure we're on the same page here and I'm not going to debate anything else until this is settled.
    Having read your exchange I have to agree with you, the invasion of Russia wasn't like other wars. Previously wars were usually about the change of leaders, who then owned the land & taxed the populace etc.

The Nazis went in with the express intent to eradicate the inhabitants & create a greater homeland for their "Aryan" race, therefore there was NO choice, it was fight back or die.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th December 2021), Ewan (9th May 2023), Mashika (24th December 2021), Snoweagle (27th December 2021), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Strat (24th December 2021), Tintin (25th October 2022), Vicus (10th May 2023)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

32. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

atman (25th October 2022), Ewan (9th May 2023), kudzy (26th October 2022), Mashika (5th December 2022), Mercedes (25th October 2022), Ravenlocke (10th May 2023), Snoweagle (25th October 2022), Spiral (25th October 2022), Stephanie (25th October 2022), Tintin (25th October 2022), Vicus (25th October 2022), Yoda (25th October 2022)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Donbass Devushka posted this yesterday. Come and See is right in there, but she's also listed a bunch of companion films that are all most valuable for western readers to know about.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/61418

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ewan (9th May 2023), Ravenlocke (9th May 2023), Sue (Ayt) (9th May 2023), Vicus (10th May 2023)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,844 times in 2,378 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Excellent. (And this has English subtitles.) For anyone who can't access or see it, it's now in the Avalon Library.

https://avalonlibrary.net/Come_and_See.mp4
    Hi Bill, URL needs updating to the one below.

https://avalonlibrary.net/Come_and_See_%281985%29.mp4

From Bill:
    Many thanks, and I corrected the link. (The problem is that if or when any item in the Library is moved or renamed, there's no redirect mechanism that preserves the original URLs after they've been posted.)

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 9th May 2023 at 17:59.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2023), Ravenlocke (9th May 2023), Vicus (10th May 2023)

37. Link to Post #19
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,014 times in 2,416 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Donbass Devushka posted this yesterday. Come and See is right in there, but she's also listed a bunch of companion films that are all most valuable for western readers to know about.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/61418

I watched Come and See. A very compelling and powerful film. It came out in the mid-80s as I recall.

I generally do not watch films with subtitles because I have difficulty reading and watching, while also enjoying, or at least following, the film. But, Come and See was an exception to that for me.

The film speaks volumes from the visuals alone, but also including and especially the expressions on the actors’ faces and their body language, with relatively little subtitles.

I definitely recommend Come and See.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Ewan (10th May 2023), Ravenlocke (10th May 2023), Tintin (10th May 2023), Vicus (10th May 2023)

+ Reply to Thread