+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's happening in the news at your neck of the woods?

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,037 times in 645 posts

Default What's happening in the news at your neck of the woods?

Here in the UK, we're being told by the media that....

Shelves in supermarkets are empty
    There are fuel shortages
    Monica Lewinski was #metoo victim 0
    There are huge queues at filling stations
    There is a shortage of lorry drivers, yet 50,000 backlog of applications at DVLA
    "Antivaxxer protesters are causing mayhem"
    Mountains of rubbish are lying uncollected
    Inflation set to rise steeply
    Lack of gifts and toys for christmas
    Gas and electricity prices rising steeply
    Amazon struggling to find staff
    45,000 people have been misdiagnosed regarding Covid
    An MP is axed/stabbed by a constituent queuing up to speak to him
    Interest rates set to rise
    Russia controlling Gas Supply to the UK
    This Winter going to be the coldest yet due to climate change
    Billionaires are competing in their own space race using Shatner as a PR stunt

Eee me

All this going on but Prince William asks why are billionaires spending their money to visit other planets instead of fixing their own. Hmmmm. Nice one.

Now back to earth...

...what's your take on the news this week? What's really going on, and will other tech platforms be switched off and reset in the coming weeks leading up to christmas?

Whats happening in the news in your neck of the woods?

(and who is really driving the winter agenda, and why?)

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Apulu (16th October 2021), avid (16th October 2021), Brigantia (16th October 2021), East Sun (16th October 2021), Eric J (Viking) (16th October 2021), fifi (16th October 2021), Franny (16th October 2021), Harmony (16th October 2021), haroldsails (18th October 2021), Ioneo (16th October 2021), Mare (16th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th October 2021), Michi (16th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), rgray222 (16th October 2021), Sadieblue (16th October 2021), selinam (16th October 2021), Sérénité (17th October 2021), thepainterdoug (17th October 2021), Tyy1907 (16th October 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 times in 191 posts

Default Re: What's happening in the news at your neck of the woods?

Avalon is where I get most of my news. So, your summary is currently what's going on in the news for me. Thanks 🙂

What's on the list is all pretty much to be expected huh? I see mainly economic and infrastructure mayhem. 'They' want this to happen and are trying to control the narrative as to why its happening.

Also climate change. Almost funny that cold winters are being blamed on what used to be called global warming. Perhaps we'll see a couple of billionaires suddenly turn around from their space race and say oh no we actually need strong international cooperation to stop climate change instead. Immediately. Here have some some money.

Sigh. God I'm bored of these tropes 🙂

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Apulu For This Post:

avid (16th October 2021), Brigantia (16th October 2021), Franny (16th October 2021), Harmony (16th October 2021), Mare (16th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), Pam (16th October 2021), scotslad (16th October 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,978 times in 1,342 posts

Some of those are happening in my neck of the woods, but not all. A report from the East Mids:

Supermarket shelves are generally well-stocked; the one with most gaps is Waitrose.
    Fuel supplies are normal with no queues, but the price is shooting up.
    Our refuse collections are running normally.
    Prices do seem to be rising; I found on a recent visit to Morrisons that it had become a lot more expensive. Supermarket offers are generally less generous than before.
    Electricity prices rising - oh yes. I pay by monthly direct debit and for the first time ever, my account was in debit in the summer. I'm now paying £10 a month extra to lock into a fixed price for a year.
    I have heating oil, most villages don't have a gas supply and ours doesn't; fortuitously I ordered my winter oil last May at a good price.
    Why is Russia controlling our gas supply when we have a off-shore gas supply??

I'm waiting for the Accuweather world winter weather report as I've found that their seasonal reports are usually spot on. I read this here:
    "At the moment there isn't a definitive signal for winter 2021-22."
    Tabloids always love to tell us each year that we're due an Arctic winter, so I never put much credence in those.

Amazon struggling to recruit - I'm not surprised. I get a job alert and I often see the same jobs re-advertised, and what that tells you is that they can't retain staff as it's a crappy place to work. It's the same firms time and time again.

I'm seconded to a supermarket shop floor at the moment, there's been a change of management that is more draconian. They recruit staff and can't retain them. I was told that people were recruited for the night shift, they were given theory training and then sent out onto the job with no shadowing to help them pick up the job. (Believe me, there is more to stacking shelves than you would think.) They were expected to 'hit the ground running' with the same productivity of the experienced staff and most of them have quit - one even quit mid-shift and demanded to be let out of the store in the early hours of the morning!

Our 'posh supermarket' (Brits will know which one I'm talking about) is constantly recruiting for night shift. I'm told that the night manager at our local one expects you to do work once your shift has ended and won't pay you for it, and he plays Iron Maiden at full blast in the store during the night shift.

So, that's what has been going on around here.
    Last edited by Brigantia; 16th October 2021 at 12:48.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

avid (16th October 2021), fifi (16th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (16th October 2021), selinam (16th October 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,637 times in 2,654 posts

Meanwhile, in’t high north west, struggling fisherfolk are selling off their catch on the dock to huge queues, fuel supply seems ok, apart from the odd petrol stuff, we are all really positive, local paedos being caught, it seems there is a definitive drive for ‘normality’ here, apart from the local medic centres being inundated by requests for flujabs and boosters, queues happening. 🤞
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Brigantia (16th October 2021), fifi (16th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (16th October 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,504 times in 4,311 posts

Avalon is also where I get most of my news. I take note of mainstream headlines but I seldom go further than that. I have no interest in what "journalists" are writing, for reasons that should be obvious.

Claims of a cold winter this far out is pretty ludicrous. I've lost count of the number of "long-term projections" I've read using advanced models that never bear out. A lot of data gets posted here, where the nerd-quotient is high and science pretty strong. But I can categorically state they haven't a clue. Not really. Our understanding of meteorology - the theory - is good, but in practice weather is determined by too many random factors [chaos theory], where the most sophisticated computer models struggle to accurately forecast more than a couple of weeks down the line. Even at one week out it's sketchy, and that's why TV forecasts don't extend beyond that.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

avid (16th October 2021), Brigantia (16th October 2021), Ernie Nemeth (16th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), Mari (16th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (16th October 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

Norther California Foothills - 1 hr from Sacramento (Capitol of Calif.)

COVID, COVID, COVID fear still being pushed loudly. Get your VAXX - more loudly.

Stores seem to be normally stocked, although prices for everything inch up weekly. Gasoline prices more than inch up daily. HIRING SIGNS everywhere. Business, small and large offering signing bonuses as much as $1,000. Some offering new phones and other incentives. Homeless camps growing by day in the big cities. In rural areas difficult to tell as they can stay out of sight in wooded areas.

Pushing drought, blaming global warming. No mention that 2 of our largest reservoirs last year released 40% of their water out to sea to save the salmon. It was revealed that only 1,000 salmon saved. Meantime our farmers are struggling to get water. Go figure!
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

avid (16th October 2021), Blacklight43 (16th October 2021), Blastolabs (17th October 2021), Brigantia (16th October 2021), fifi (16th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), Mike Gorman (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021), selinam (16th October 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,340 times in 472 posts

Quote Posted by Brigantia (here)
    (Believe me, there is more to stacking shelves than you would think.)
    Really?
    I'd have thought that the newer stock goes behind what's already on the shelf, so that the sell by date is always later at the back....

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

Brigantia (16th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Le Chat (here)
    Quote Posted by Brigantia (here)
    (Believe me, there is more to stacking shelves than you would think.)
    Really?
    I'd have thought that the newer stock goes behind what's already on the shelf, so that the sell by date is always later at the back....
    Ha ha - yes, that's what I always do, but the newbies are being whipped so hard that stock rotation is being abandoned and they've no time to do that. It's turning into such a **** shift that none of them care.

Update... I had my mind on other things and missed the sarcasm ... you also need to understand the logistics process and the priorities that need to be done in order so that it all gets done on the shift. I work with some bright people, they're not all numpties, and there needs to be a high degree of teamwork and cooperation.
    Last edited by Brigantia; 16th October 2021 at 19:13.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

avid (17th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,301 times in 674 posts

Nothing's been going on around my neck of the woods (south Devon) because I haven't been watching or listening to any of it - just getting on with life.
    But, looking at Scotslad post, it would seem that he's describing another universe with most of what is listed (courtesy of MSM) because I haven't noticed much of it out there...

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), Brigantia (16th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member bobme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 times in 234 posts

I bit my minds tongue.[almost]

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bobme For This Post:

Harmony (17th October 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,275 times in 1,435 posts

In Canada here

Heard that there may be a shortage of winter tires so got some for wife's van. We'll see if that's true. Gas prices just went up 10 cents a liter. Kick in the ass there. I've heard of shortages here and there for small grocery items but nothing major really.

Oh yeah and the shortage of new vehicles but we're all aware of that.

I heard the other day we'd be best to keep a positive outlook on our futures. The opposite of what the MSM tells us.
    Last edited by Tyy1907; 17th October 2021 at 11:59.
    "Without the human request, nothing will happen."

"This must never be forgotten, that the human has the power to prevail."

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tyy1907 For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021), Sérénité (18th October 2021)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

As you can see, I am located in Western Australia, so it is not 'Winter' it is coming into summer, here in Perth spring is unfolding nicely, the weather has improved and we will be experiencing our first 90/100 degree Fahrenheit days shortly, life is being conducted almost as if CoV2 does not exist, you get the occasional paranoid type and Asian person wearing a mask.
    However the Vax mandates are beginning to bite here, the premier insists on imposing the Vax for all 'official' workers, and Pharmacy retail people must all be vaccinated by early November, the government reckons 56.2% of the population are Vaxed, I suspect this is not accurate, I think there are way more people not accepting the Vax, but that is my personal opinion.
    I think the Vax mandate will generate the 'Little Big Horn' moment across the western world. There are legal battles being tabled, and people are preparing to confront this outrage, the federal government is being cowardly, stating they will not demand people get the shot, but they turn a blind eye to the states imposing this. We are in for a big fight.
    There are NO shortages that I can see.
    Last edited by Mike Gorman; 17th October 2021 at 08:43.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), avid (17th October 2021), Blastolabs (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), fifi (19th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021), Sérénité (18th October 2021)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Forgot to say, was in my local pub on Friday night for a quick pint. Just me and the barmaid.
    Crikey. A scottish fishing village pub on a Friday night, and no-one in? 2 years ago, the place would be jumping. Aye things are changing. Either, we are all becoming more conscious about our health or the cost of a pint (£3.20) is biting.

Interestingly, the barmaid asked me if I watched Blaze tv ( also https://www.youtube.com/c/BlazeTV online) I asked if she did. "I love it, there's so much I didnae ken aboot fits happening and happened in the world. Its really opened my eyes".

Aye it goods to talk about what IS happening in the world
    What about you?

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), avid (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), I am B (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), Sérénité (18th October 2021)

27. Link to Post #14
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,504 times in 4,311 posts

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    Either, we are all becoming more conscious about our health or the cost of a pint (£3.20) is biting.
    Holy crap mate. Try down south. I bought a pint each - plain, on tap beer - for my brother and I last week at our local. Those two beers cost over £9. And that's quite normal.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,077 times in 869 posts

I don’t watch the news, hardly any ‘normal’ TV or read papers anymore (unless it’s for a bit of research) I’m also off all social media and so I rarely know what’s going on in my neck of the woods.

So when something happens, it’s usually from outlets like RT or Telegram channels, or better still, here on Avalon.

The first I knew of the Essex MP, Sir David Amess’s murder this week was when a new Sky series due for release on Friday got held back as a mark of respect (same storyline as we are seeing now in many ways...Cobra)

Such a very sad thing to happen to whom seemed a lovely man.

Also worth noting that Sir Amess spoke out last year in Parliament against Vaccine Passports being rolled out in the UK.

Next week they are putting it through Parliament again to try pass the Vaccine Passports being rolled out towards the end of this year...

Curious...

Anyone conspiracy minded could easily be led to wonder did this serve as a warning to others who may vote against the vaccine passports in Parliament this coming week.
    But we know our government would never stoop so low...don’t we?
    Last edited by Sérénité; 17th October 2021 at 16:52.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sérénité For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), fifi (19th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), O Donna (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021), yelik (17th October 2021)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,158 times in 1,663 posts

Generally keep up with the news in my area.

But mostly what I hear from the 'news' is:

Fear, fear, fear
    The sky is falling

Quote “Go back to bed, America. Your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control again. Here. Here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up. Go back to bed, America. Here is American Gladiators. Here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their ****ing skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go, America! You are free to do what we tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!”

― Bill Hicks

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to O Donna For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), East Sun (18th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), Mare (17th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021)

33. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,077 times in 869 posts

Talking of woods...check this out...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-58906285

Sherwood Forest set for 5G upgrade and robot dogs

“Robot dogs, internet-controlled drones and a 5G upgrade are among technology being trialled to enhance the visitor experience at Sherwood Forest.
    Nottinghamshire County Council said the work would make it the world's first 5G-connected forest”

Sounds like the kind of ‘enhancement’ we all escape into forests to get away from in the first place...

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sérénité For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), fifi (19th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (18th October 2021), scotslad (17th October 2021)

35. Link to Post #18
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,301 times in 674 posts

Quote Posted by Sérénité (here)
    I don’t watch the news, hardly any ‘normal’ TV or read papers anymore (unless it’s for a bit of research) I’m also off all social media and so I rarely know what’s going on in my neck of the woods.

So when something happens, it’s usually from outlets like RT or Telegram channels, or better still, here on Avalon.

The first I knew of the Essex MP, Sir David Amess’s murder this week was when a new Sky series due for release on Friday got held back as a mark of respect (same storyline as we are seeing now in many ways...Cobra)

Such a very sad thing to happen to whom seemed a lovely man.

Also worth noting that Sir Amess spoke out last year in Parliament against Vaccine Passports being rolled out in the UK.

Next week they are putting it through Parliament again to try pass the Vaccine Passports being rolled out towards the end of this year...

Curious...

Anyone conspiracy minded could easily be led to wonder did this serve as a warning to others who may vote against the vaccine passports in Parliament this coming week.
    But we know our government would never stoop so low...don’t we?
    Like you, I rarely watch msm these days, and I caught up with Amess's murder through a Telegram channel. I admit I go into automatic smell-a-rat mode whenever something like this happens because I believe it's something that the intelligence services routinely do to further the Agenda, in this case maybe to prime the public for something coming. Yes, it could also be a warning to those MP's who are opposing the passports, I'm getting more sure of that as the days go by.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), fifi (19th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), Sérénité (18th October 2021)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

vaccine passports coming then NOT being able to meet with MP unless via zoom calls, I suspect.
    (problem, reactiom. solution - again? )

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), Brigantia (17th October 2021), fifi (19th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), Sérénité (18th October 2021)

39. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Talk is already being murmured of a false flag...

The attacker is well connected too and seems a rather unlikely attacker; from the Mail - "Known terror threat Ali Harbi Ali 'plotted attack on Tory MP Sir David Amess for a week': British Muslim, 25, lives on celebrity-studded London street of £2m houses and his father is a former Somali official left 'traumatised'"

Richard D Hall also did a very good analysis of Jo Cox and how the guy who is stuck in jail couldn't have done it, well worth a look if you haven't seen it.
    https://www.richplanet.net/richp_gen...6&part=1&gen=2

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

Ankle Biter (17th October 2021), fifi (19th October 2021), Franny (18th October 2021), Harmony (17th October 2021), scotslad (18th October 2021), Sérénité (18th October 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast