Thread: Why Modern Movies Suck!

1. Link to Post #1
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,396 times in 4,297 posts

Default Why Modern Movies Suck!

I believe movies, particularly Hollywood movies due to their reach, are playing a large role in the decay of popular culture (music plays a big role too). But in film depth, nuance, and authenticity have all been sacrificed on the altar of spectacle and plastic cheap thrills, and of course identity politics.

This issue shouldn't be summarily brushed aside as 'just entertainment' and therefore unimportant. Entertainment is emblematic of the culture, and times, it represents, and goes on to shape. We are all of us, to some significant extent, a product of the times we were brought up in. I am a product of the 70s and 80s. Those were my young days when anything was possible, the future was bright, and a sense of harmless fun still existed. Had I been born in different times with different conditions and with different entertainment – and thus a different popular culture – I would have turned out different.

What sort of people will today's times produce? That is the question here.

I've followed the film critiques and occasional eulogies of the Critical Drinker for quite a while now in regards to what passes for modern entertainment these days. His insights and analyses cut like a knife, and are always exceedingly on-point.

I wanted to share his latest, an exceptional – and in my opinion important – video (14 mins) that interrogates the problem head-on. As one viewer commented, it is "a devastatingly accurate assessment" of the current state of things. I could not agree more.

If you're a Star Trek fan too (or was one) this is especially appropriate.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Agape (7th September 2022), BoR (29th December 2021), Brodie75 (4th November 2021), ByTheNorthernSea (4th November 2021), Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), Dennis Leahy (3rd November 2021), DNA (28th December 2021), DSKlausler (29th December 2021), Ernie Nemeth (3rd November 2021), ExomatrixTV (4th November 2021), Franny (10th January 2022), Gracy (3rd November 2021), Hym (29th December 2021), Inversion (29th December 2021), Jambo (21st February 2024), jimbobule (29th December 2021), JohnP (14th September 2022), Journeyman (15th October 2022), Kryztian (3rd November 2021), Mashika (29th December 2021), Mike Gorman (29th December 2021), mizo (3rd November 2021), onawah (7th January 2022), onevoice (29th December 2021), Open Minded Dude (3rd November 2021), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), pueblo (29th December 2021), Rawhide68 (3rd November 2021), Richard S. (4th November 2021), RunningDeer (6th September 2022), Sue (Ayt) (6th September 2022), TargeT (7th September 2022), Tintin (4th November 2021), toppy (4th November 2021), XelNaga (29th December 2021), yelik (3rd November 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Default Re: Why Modern Movies Suck!

Well SM, as a life time Trekkie who even remembers getting my start watching the original on black and white as a little girl, I can honestly admit enjoying the commentary of why this new Star Trek movie is so bad. It looks terrible!!!

But you know, it also brought to mind the litany of terrible movies I've seen come and go my whole life. LOL remember "Action Jackson" from 1988 for instance? OMG...

"The Hunger Games" wasn't all that long ago, and that was a great series IMO. And I know it's t.v., but I think the still ongoing saga of "The Walking Dead" is quite compelling, watching the stories of the various survivors whether they've already met their gruesome fate, or are somehow still alive for the rebuilding process.

I remember my dad telling me one time about his dad's, reaction to Elvis when he first hit the scene. He thought the gyration of his hips was utterly disgusting, would ruin society if he became popular, but that he would just be a flash in the pan because of that. Moving forward the 60's movement was "ruining the kids", and I remember hearing "kids today" when I was young.

The culture war's been going on for a long time, the pot smoking jazz artists and the "flappers" of the 1920's were also going to be the great decay of society.

Now I'm not saying everything's all hunky dory today, because of course it's not, there's a lot of problems. But there always are, just like there's always stupid movies (but did they have to do it to my Star Trek??!!)...

I see a lot in "the kids today" that I don't like, and from time to time I catch myself commenting as much to others my age who remember "the good old days", but somehow most of us made it through and became responsible adults. I have to remind myself of that.

Here's another thing about "the good old days": A lot of the common terms of my day, say for black and gay people, would never be tolerated today and for good reason. It was nothing back then to refer to them as n*****s and f*****s. It's embarrassing in hindsight, but that's the way it was...

Well that changed, blacks and whites can freely marry today, and the same as of late for gay couples. That wasn't tolerated in the good old days.

So yes, things are changing today, and a lot of it obviously goes to far, but I think it pays to look at it with a certain amount of tolerance, as we also look back with tolerance.

I'm posting this Billy Joel classic for this up and coming generation. For all the problems they have, I think they'll be okay in due time. I mean after all, they didn't start the fire either.
    Last edited by Gracy; 3rd November 2021 at 21:04.

4. Link to Post #3
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,334 times in 635 posts

I also like CD's videos a lot, he is entertaining in his own way (much more than the movies or shows he talks about) and still sharp and on point with his arguments, most of the time.

Not all shows or movies are bad though, it is just all the stuff that is on his radar. There are still other tv shows which were good imv but do not belong to the usual superhero or science-fiction franchises he or his club (the so-called 'Fandom Menace' videobloggers such as CD, Nerdrotic and a few more) usually talk about.

He is right about the infantilisation of the new shows (ST or whatever). It's all about solving problems with action (violence) within a framework of mostly dumb and illogical plotlines, all interspersed with the usual 'woke' Identity Politics messages all the time.

Worst show is still ST Discovery. Literally unbearable. Greatest sh'te on TV.

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), Dennis Leahy (3rd November 2021), DNA (28th December 2021), Franny (10th January 2022), Gracy (3rd November 2021), Heart to heart (4th November 2021), Hym (29th December 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th November 2021), Mashika (29th December 2021), Mercedes (3rd November 2021), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), toppy (4th November 2021)

6. Link to Post #4
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,334 times in 635 posts

We should make a thread and compile a list of still good new TV shows on streaming TV maybe. They DO exist, even if they are not perfect but are watchable and entertaining and still intellectually challenging with interesting storylines and characters, acting, cinematography etc.

Although it strikes me that even in this shows the amount and share of (1) extreme violence/gore and (2) scenes of nudity/softcore sex has gone up if we compare it to just 15 years ago (and before) or so. I think it started with Game Of Thrones around 2010 or so. A good show though of course, at least the first seasons, but also quite 'nasty'.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), DNA (28th December 2021), Franny (10th January 2022), Gracy (3rd November 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (4th November 2021), Mashika (29th December 2021), Mercedes (3rd November 2021), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), toppy (4th November 2021)

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gracy (here)
    I see a lot in "the kids today" that I don't like, and from time to time I catch myself commenting as much to others my age who remember "the good old days", but somehow most of us made it through and became responsible adults. I have to remind myself of that.
    That's a very good point and I agree with everything you say, but I feel as though cultural shifts in the past were naturally inspired, catalysed by various movements taking place in society at the ground level. Today it feels different. Today it feels as though a deliberate attempt is being made to bastardize and infantilize our entertainment - to perhaps demoralize and dumb down the audience, whilst rewiring their brains not to think their way through life, but emote their way. Is it with any wonder 'kids today' are filling twitter and facebook and Tiktok with childish emotionally charge insanity all the time?

I really don't think it's just about flash in the pan fads and crazes. I've seen many come and go too. For every bad movie there were a dozen good ones. But they really are in short supply these days. Hollywood is comped, we surely all know this by now. To find them you have to look to independent film makers but they're not easy to find, just like 'good' new music is not easy to find, because the system is broken and the game is rigged.

Yes I remember Action Jackson, lol. A good example of a trash 80's movie. Today it would go straight to cable, where trash movies abound.

There is hope though. I'm also a huge Star Wars fan, and I've recently started watching The Mandalorian. If we're looking for an example of well-written and well-crafted entertainment, that does not bastardize or attempt to re-imagine a beloved and existing franchise, but honour it, this is a good candidate. Oh yes, and guess who's in it. Action Jackson himself! My God, Carl Weathers just goes on and on. He still looks in decent shape though!

~ Jimi Hendrix

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), DNA (28th December 2021), Franny (10th January 2022), Gracy (4th November 2021), Inversion (5th September 2022), Mashika (29th December 2021), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

10. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Open Minded Dude (here)
    We should make a thread and compile a list of still good new TV shows on streaming TV maybe.
    I'm down with that. By all means fire away, as I'm always on the lookout.. I've already mentioned The Mandalorian series, and we have season three of the Orville coming soon.

~ Jimi Hendrix

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), DNA (28th December 2021), Franny (10th January 2022), Inversion (5th September 2022), Mashika (29th December 2021), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This Christmas I found myself watching not a single new movie, show or production, but re-watching the old. I don't think I'm alone in doing that either:

Click image for larger version

Name:	films-meme_tz1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	48163
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

BoR (29th December 2021), Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), DNA (28th December 2021), Franny (10th January 2022), Hym (29th December 2021), Inversion (5th September 2022), Mashika (29th December 2021), onawah (7th January 2022), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), Spiral (27th December 2021), Sue (Ayt) (27th December 2021)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,275 times in 1,435 posts

My son wanted to see the new Spiderman movie so sigh I thought alright we'll take you. I can always sleep as I was sure it would be painful. Yes it was long but I was actually impressed for the most part. A super positive message. People in the theater were cheering. First time I'd ever seen that!
    "Without the human request, nothing will happen."

"This must never be forgotten, that the human has the power to prevail."

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tyy1907 For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), DNA (28th December 2021), Franny (10th January 2022), Hym (29th December 2021), Inversion (5th September 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th December 2021), Mashika (29th December 2021), onawah (7th January 2022), onevoice (29th December 2021), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,657 times in 4,303 posts

Modern movies suck because they've turned into subtle propaganda pieces.
    We live in a society that has been brain washed to such an extent people get triggered when you bring up anything that challenges their locked and loaded preconceptions.
    You could bring up a laundry detergent you like and someone having a differing opinion will get triggered.
    There is a narrative that no one is allowed to challenge you or debate you, rather they can only call you brave and heroic for having whatever stupid opinion you have.
    People are so freaking touchy.

It's as if the truth is creeping in on them from every side and if they break their concentration from their chosen view on reality, even for a second, the truth might just come rushing in along with what ever information they were silly enough to consider instead of staying stoic and annoyingly shallow, monochromatic and one dimensional.
    But, back to the topic at hand.
    Movies.
    Movies suck.
    And this is largely because there is a multi pronged attack on the mind and subconscious.
    Movies, music, news, comedy, art, education, medical industry and government tell you what to think and how to think.

It's not that the competitors laundry soap offends you, it is that the person extolling it is exhibiting signs of autonomy and individuality.
    Thinking for your self is currently being subconsciously vilified through movies.
    Yeah, movies suck.
    Last edited by DNA; 28th December 2021 at 07:17.

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

BoR (29th December 2021), Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), Franny (10th January 2022), Hym (29th December 2021), Inversion (5th September 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (28th December 2021), Mashika (29th December 2021), onawah (7th January 2022), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), Tyy1907 (29th December 2021)

18. Link to Post #10
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    We live in a society
    lmao...
    https://happymag.tv/we-live-in-a-soc...eme-explained/

Quote You could bring up a laundry detergent you like and someone having a differing opinion will get triggered.
    There is a narrative that no one is allowed to challenge you or debate you, rather they can only call you brave and heroic for having whatever stupid opinion you have.
    Isn't that the result of the education provided by previous generations, actually? And the perception is all wrong, it's a game playing in adults heads based on their personal experiences. Someone may think "it was better back then" but what they missed is that they are comparing 40+ years of experience to 16 or so years of experience of kids and assuming they are lacking because they don't act like a 49 year old person, adults rewrite memories over the years and incorporate a vision of themselves being the way they are now, with half a century of experience, into aview of the younger version at 16 or 20

This is actually real and research has proven it
    https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aav5916
    Quote Kids these days: Why the youth of today seem lacking

Across three traits, American adults (N = 3458; Mage = 33 to 51 years) believe today’s youth are in decline; however, these perceptions are associated with people’s standing on those traits. Authoritarian people especially think youth are less respectful of their elders, intelligent people especially think youth are less intelligent, and well-read people especially think youth enjoy reading less
    So it's a perception thing, and maybe even more than that, they push hard to make it a reality in several ways

Quote It's as if the truth is creeping in on them from every side and if they break their concentration from their chosen view on reality, even for a second, the truth might just come rushing in along with what ever information they were silly enough to consider instead of staying stoic and annoyingly shallow, monochromatic and one dimensional.
    "them" and "us" is exactly how you destroy your culture and any hope of a future In that way, you are helping it progress and making sure it happens according to plan

Quote But, back to the topic at hand.
    Movies.
    Movies suck.
    And this is largely because there is a multi pronged attack on the mind and subconscious.
    Movies, music, news, comedy, art, education, medical industry and government tell you what to think and how to think.
    That has always been the case, all ever since people started painting on caves and/or singing songs

Quote It's not that the competitors laundry soap offends you, it is that the person extolling it is exhibiting signs of autonomy and individuality.
    Thinking for your self is currently being subconsciously vilified through movies.
    Yeah, movies suck.
    Everything sucks in one way or another It depends on which brand of brainwashing you prefer

Also, aren't all movie directors and actors mostly above 30/40 years old now? I looked and check it out

https://stephenfollows.com/how-old-a...ood-directors/
    Quote A third of all directors of the top grossing films are between 40 and 49 years old. Only 2.6% are under 30 years old and 8.9% are over 60.
    And
    Quote Are Hollywood directors getting older or younger?
    Older. In 1995 the average age of Hollywood directors was 43 years and 9 months. By 2014, that had increased by six years to 49 years and 9 months.
    Which means that the young are being attacked and be made dumb by the previous generations. So it's not a "they are dumb", it's more like "our generation is pushing all these ideas into them, and they are dumbing down because they fall for it"

The way i see it is, adults take advantage of naivety of the younger generations and are corrupting them badly, and then people say "kids are dumb, just look at them doing this or that". Well the dumbness was designed by adults in their 40s or olders.

Kids are impressionable and can be lead and corrupted easily, no surprise! Why are adults doing that in the first place? And why the other adults watch and make fun of the kids, instead of doing something to stop the corruption?

So pretty much everything i watch is created by people twice my age at least, and it's their world view what is pushed non stop, not mine, and the same goes for everyone else including kids. So who's the person actually having mental issues? The receivers of the dumbness, or the creators of the dumbness ?

Anyways, since all movies suck and i don't have any other choices, and i don't have a say about what movies get made by the old people, then i guess i just have to stop watching movies entirely

/rant
    Last edited by Mashika; 29th December 2021 at 06:19.
    Tired

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), DNA (29th December 2021), Franny (10th January 2022), Hym (29th December 2021), Inversion (5th September 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th December 2021), Pam (29th December 2021), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,657 times in 4,303 posts

Quote Posted by Malisa (here)
    Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    We live in a society
    lmao...
    https://happymag.tv/we-live-in-a-soc...eme-explained/

Quote You could bring up a laundry detergent you like and someone having a differing opinion will get triggered.
    Isn't that the result of the education provided by previous generations, actually? And the perception is all wrong, it's a game playing in adults heads based on their personal experiences. Someone may think "it was better back then" but what they missed is that they are comparing 40+ years of experience to 16 or so years of experience of kids and assuming they are lacking because they don't act like a 49 year old person, adults rewrite memories over the years and incorporate a vision of themselves being the way they are now, with half a century of experience, into aview of the younger version at 16 or 20

This is actually real and research has proven it
    https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aav5916
    Quote Kids these days: Why the youth of today seem lacking

Across three traits, American adults (N = 3458; Mage = 33 to 51 years) believe today’s youth are in decline; however, these perceptions are associated with people’s standing on those traits. Authoritarian people especially think youth are less respectful of their elders, intelligent people especially think youth are less intelligent, and well-read people especially think youth enjoy reading less
    So it's a perception thing, and maybe even more than that, they push hard to make it a reality in several ways

Quote It's as if the truth is creeping in on them from every side and if they break their concentration from their chosen view on reality, even for a second, the truth might just come rushing in along with what ever information they were silly enough to consider instead of staying stoic and annoyingly shallow, monochromatic and one dimensional.
    "them" and "us" is exactly how you destroy your culture and any hope of a future In that way, you are helping it progress and making sure it happens according to plan

Quote But, back to the topic at hand.
    Movies.
    Movies suck.
    That has always been the case, all ever since people started painting on caves and/or singing songs

Quote It's not that the competitors laundry soap offends you, it is that the person extolling it is exhibiting signs of autonomy and individuality.
    Yeah, movies suck.
    Everything sucks in one way or another It depends on which brand of brainwashing you prefer

Also, aren't all movie directors and actors mostly above 30/40 years old now? I looked and check it out

https://stephenfollows.com/how-old-a...ood-directors/
    Quote A third of all directors of the top grossing films are between 40 and 49 years old. Only 2.6% are under 30 years old and 8.9% are over 60.
    And
    Quote Are Hollywood directors getting older or younger?
    Older. In 1995 the average age of Hollywood directors was 43 years and 9 months. By 2014, that had increased by six years to 49 years and 9 months.
    Which means that the young are being attacked and be made dumb by the previous generations. So it's not a "they are dumb", it's more like "our generation is pushing all these ideas into them, and they are dumbing down because they fall for it"

The way i see it is, adults take advantage of naivety of the younger generations and are corrupting them badly, and then people say "kids are dumb, just look at them doing this or that". Well the dumbness was designed by adults in their 40s or olders.

Kids are impressionable and can be lead and corrupted easily, no surprise! Why are adults doing that in the first place? And why the other adults watch and make fun of the kids, instead of doing something to stop the corruption?

So pretty much everything i watch is created by people twice my age at least, and it's their world view what is pushed non stop, not mine, and the same goes for everyone else including kids. So who's the person actually having mental issues? The receivers of the dumbness, or the creators of the dumbness ?

Anyways, since all movies suck and i don't have any other choices, and i don't have a say about what movies get made by the old people, then i guess i just have to stop watching movies entirely

/rant
    I appreciate the conversation.
    I hear your take here, and my saying modern movies suck is in no way singling out any specific age or generation.

I know people in their seventies who are brainwashed and every age you can come up with.
    The brain washing is overt, obvious and yet it is also subtle and even subliminal.
    There is a global element involved, there is a"don't question authority" element involved.
    There is a conspiracy involved.
    There are intelligence agencies involved.
    And after a while you start to realize that the movie "they live" is much more reality than science fiction.
    For instance let's pick a much loved media personality.
    How about......
    Oprah.
    Okay yes Oprah Winfrey.
    She has been molding public opinion for decades.
    It's my opinion she is the reason Obama became president.
    Hilary was all but promised the Democratic nomination in 08, then Oprah had this guy on her show she endorsed for president and Obama shoots to the top of the pack.
    Have you seen her recently?
    She looks great.

I know it's come out to her detriment the Weinstein stuff.
    Then there is her attending billionaire meetings on over population where they were discussing ways to lower the Earth's population. That probably killed her presidential aspirations.
    By the way don't get the vaccine since we are on the topic of depopulation.
    Back to Oprah.
    So yes she's friends with Harvey Weinstein and Jeffrey Epstein but she also filmed one of her shows in the Caribbean on Peter Nygard's island. Why is this important? Because Nygard not only brings underage women to his island for sex, he also brings pregnant women to his island, he pays the mothers, tricks them and or intimidates them into situations where he takes their babies and drains their blood for his own body for his own sick and twisted desire for youth and health.
    He is killing these babies.
    Some are his own.
    But not Oprah right?
    She's just an innocent bystander.

Remember John of God?
    Oprah's celebrated guru?
    He was doing the same thing.
    Keeping women as slaves on an island and forcing them onto sex and baby making where they would never see their kids again.
    Where is the outrage?
    Let's hate white males via critical race theory, except the rapists who kill and vampire babies, those white guys are okay.

But Oprah looks great.
    I wonder how she looks so young and vibrant?
    Must be a new work out routine. Right???

And yes, liberal policies, far left opinions, critical race theory, male bashing, Christian bashing. And let's not forget every single actor in Hollywood bashing Trump. Funny how Hollywood was 100 percent on that, kind of a big tell that Hollywood is controlled.

It's all happening in modern movies.
    Brain washing.
    Brain washing to help bring about the fall of western society.
    Modern movies suck.
    Modern movies are propaganda.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), Hym (29th December 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th December 2021), Mashika (7th January 2022), onawah (7th January 2022), Pam (29th December 2021), Patient (25th October 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member DSKlausler's Avatar
    Language
    Kings' English (colored)
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    I believe movies, particularly Hollywood movies due to their reach, are playing a large role in the decay of popular culture (music plays a big role too). But in film depth, nuance, and authenticity have all been sacrificed on the altar of spectacle and plastic cheap thrills, and of course identity politics.

This issue shouldn't be summarily brushed aside as 'just entertainment' and therefore unimportant. Entertainment is emblematic of the culture, and times, it represents, and goes on to shape. We are all of us, to some significant extent, a product of the times we were brought up in. I am a product of the 70s and 80s. Those were my young days when anything was possible, the future was bright, and a sense of harmless fun still existed. Had I been born in different times with different conditions and with different entertainment – and thus a different popular culture – I would have turned out different.

What sort of people will today's times produce? That is the question here.

I've followed the film critiques and occasional eulogies of the Critical Drinker for quite a while now in regards to what passes for modern entertainment these days. His insights and analyses cut like a knife, and are always exceedingly on-point.

I wanted to share his latest, an exceptional – and in my opinion important – video (14 mins) that interrogates the problem head-on. As one viewer commented, it is "a devastatingly accurate assessment" of the current state of things. I could not agree more.

If you're a Star Trek fan too (or was one) this is especially appropriate.
    As an avid movie watcher - maybe former movie watcher is more appropriate - I am surprised that I had not seen this thread. Thank you.
    Also, by watching the video, I realized that I had seen the Critical Drinker before - when he, appropriately, decimated the last of the Terminator movies. I don't know why I didn't set up a "Follow" or whatever - I should have, and am doing so now.

Finally, simply reminding me of those great movies, and the character actors (HAH! Cristopher Plummer!), made me think of how much that I agree with Mr. Drinker; just garbage out there... and yes, I am old enough to have seen these things on TV and back in the theater for under $100.
    Anything is possible with the proper training.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DSKlausler For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), Hym (29th December 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (29th December 2021), Mashika (7th January 2022), onawah (7th January 2022), Pam (7th January 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

24. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,974 times in 20,621 posts

2022 Coming Attractions--Trailers
    THE BEST UPCOMING MOVIES 2022 (Trailers)
    1,486,326 views Dec 27, 2021
    KinoCheck.com
    3.86M subscribers

(Whether they are going to be the best movies of 2022 or the worst is no doubt an arguable point, but here are trailers for the coming blockbusters in any case...
    If nothing else, they will probably whet our appetites for real art as opposed to Hollywood imitations.
    I can't even take more than a few trailers at a time, and I'm only halfway through.
    The Marvel movies are by far the worst, imho.
    The super violence is so over the top it's worse than disgusting, and certainly not what I would consider to be entertaining.
    I've been a movie buff all my life, but I am a lot more selective now than I've ever been, that's for sure.
    But I confess I will probably watch Fantastic Beasts 3: The Secrets of Dumbledore. And I cannot lie--I eagerly await A Discovery of Witches season 3 due to be released on 1/8//22.
    I classify them as art-- the special effects alone are fascinating and not mind-numbing.
    What will probably be the last of the Outlander series is due sometime this year, and I may watch that.
    The books are better though!)

Included in this compilation are
    00:00 The Best Upcoming Movies 2022
    00:03 Uncharted
    02:20 Doctor Strange 2: In The Multiverse of Madness
    04:25 Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre
    07:16 Moonfall
    09:15 Morbius
    12:00 Fantastic Beasts 3: The Secrets of Dumbledore
    14:31 Sonic: The Hedgehog 2
    16:41 Minions: The Rise of Gru
    17:22 Death On The Nile
    19:24 Top Gun: Maverick
    21:35 Hotel Transylvania: Transformania
    23:10 The Batman
    25:42 Ambulance
    28:29 Scream 5
    30:41 Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
    33:03 Lightyear
    34:32 Turning Red
    36:50 The Lost City
    39:12 The 355
    41:36 The Flash
    43:08 Operation Mincemeat
    45:31 DC League of Super-Pets
    48:08 The Northman
    50:25 The Bad Guys
    52:44 The Black Phone
    55:32 The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild
    56:42 Dog
    59:02 Gold
    01:00:44 The Outfit
    01:02:56 Black Adam
    01:04:15 Marry Me
    01:07:41 The King's Daughter
    01:09:09 Downton Abbey 2: A New Era

Update: The Lost City looks like it might be fun
    The new "Murder on the Nile looks good--great cast and amazing scenery.
    Operation Mincemeat--based on a true (WW2) story, which are always the best
    Last edited by onawah; 7th January 2022 at 07:24.
    Each breath a gift...

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Inversion (6th September 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (7th January 2022), Mashika (7th January 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), RunningDeer (6th September 2022)

26. Link to Post #14
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,825 times in 3,335 posts

Morbius
    Fantastic Beasts 3: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    2022 Coming Attractions--Trailers
    THE BEST UPCOMING MOVIES 2022 (Trailers)
    1,486,326 views Dec 27, 2021
    KinoCheck.com
    3.86M subscribers

(Whether they are going to be the best movies of 2022 or the worst is no doubt an arguable point, but here are trailers for the coming blockbusters in any case...
    If nothing else, they will probably whet our appetites for real art as opposed to Hollywood imitations.
    But I confess I will probably watch Fantastic Beasts 3: The Secrets of Dumbledore, and I cannot lie--I eagerly await A Discovery of Witches season 3 due to be released on 1/8//22 Sky One in the U.K. and via AMC Plus, Sundance Now and Shudder in the U.S.)

Included in this compilation are
    00:00 The Best Upcoming Movies 2022
    00:03 Uncharted
    02:20 Doctor Strange 2: In The Multiverse of Madness
    04:25 Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre
    07:16 Moonfall
    09:15 Morbius
    12:00 Fantastic Beasts 3: The Secrets of Dumbledore
    14:31 Sonic: The Hedgehog 2
    16:41 Minions: The Rise of Gru
    17:22 Death On The Nile
    19:24 Top Gun: Maverick
    21:35 Hotel Transylvania: Transformania
    23:10 The Batman
    25:42 Ambulance
    28:29 Scream 5
    30:41 Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
    33:03 Lightyear
    34:32 Turning Red
    36:50 The Lost City
    39:12 The 355
    41:36 The Flash
    43:08 Operation Mincemeat
    45:31 DC League of Super-Pets
    48:08 The Northman
    50:25 The Bad Guys
    52:44 The Black Phone
    55:32 The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild
    56:42 Dog
    59:02 Gold
    01:00:44 The Outfit
    01:02:56 Black Adam
    01:04:15 Marry Me
    01:07:41 The King's Daughter
    01:09:09 Downton Abbey 2: A New Era
    Tired

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Inversion (6th September 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

28. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,974 times in 20,621 posts

A Sundance winner--"Nine Days" 2020

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10451852/
    Storyline
    "Will (Winston Duke) spends his days in a remote outpost watching the live Point of View (POV) on TV's of people going about their lives, until one subject perishes, leaving a vacancy for a new life on earth. Soon, several candidates - unborn souls - arrive at Will's to undergo tests determining their fitness, facing oblivion when they are deemed unsuitable. But Will soon faces his own existential challenge in the form of free-spirited Emma (Zazie Beetz), a candidate who is not like the others, forcing him to turn within and reckon with his own tumultuous past. Fueled by unexpected power, he discovers a bold new path forward in his own life. Making his feature-film debut after a series of highly acclaimed and award-winning short films and music videos, Japanese Brazilian director Edson Oda delivers a heartfelt and meditative vision of human souls in limbo, aching to be born against unimaginable odds, yet hindered by forces beyond their will."

I've wondered a lot about what it's like to be a spirit guide. As I understand it, it's something a lot of us do in between our own lifetimes, and we usually perform the service for souls in our own soul group, often for someone we've known before. and it's not really about the process of review that I understand we go through in between lifetimes.
    This movie isn't about that, but it's a similar theme, and it's not the kind of theme one often sees treated in movies, so I found it be refreshing and thought provoking.

Another one I watched recently which I found oddly compelling is "Archipelago" from 2014.
    Most would find it boring, too slow moving, etc, too much like real life, but that's why I liked it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527835/?ref_=vp_vi_tt
    Review:
    "A fretful Englishwoman joins her fragile adult children at a familiar vacation spot, a guesthouse on Tresco in the Scilly Isles, for a feast of locally caught lobster, locally shot pheasant and painfully awkward smalltalk. There's plenty of drama, but not much plot in the usual sense. My wife and I didn't get much out of Joanna Hogg's latest film, "Exhibition," but this one, from 2010, was weirdly involving from start to finish.

The troubles of this trio of gentlefolk (including Tom Hiddleston, the reason we decided to watch this film in the first place) may not amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world, but the way the camera lingers after a character's left the room or climbed a staircase, the dim interior light, even the birdsong and dreamlike landscapes (from glacial boulders to spiky subtropical palms) all contribute to the atmosphere of tension and expectancy.

The title "Archipelago" might refer to the Scilly Isles (of which there are over a hundred) but also, I'm guessing, to the characters in this film, who are linked by blood and memory but isolated from one another by some pretty rough currents. (There's a big framed photo, "Storm off Tierra del Fuego," hanging over the mantelpiece when they arrive at the guesthouse; it makes them uneasy and they take it down.) Fans of Alan Ayckbourn and Edward Gorey, as well as Vinterberg and Haneke, might want to take a chance on this one. Tom Hiddleston fans might stop to consider whether this wussy, neurotic, self-doubting Tom Hiddleston is the Tom Hiddleston they first fell in love with."
    Each breath a gift...

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), Inversion (6th September 2022), Mashika (20th February 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

30. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member andyangel1205's Avatar
    Thanks

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andyangel1205 For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th September 2022), DNA (15th October 2022), Inversion (6th September 2022), Mashika (20th February 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022)

32. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Here we go again. This time it's The Lord of the Rings, my personal all time favourite book, and possibly all time favourite franchise/brand/cannon.

Prime Video have released the first trailer. Out of 27.7million views at time of writing, it's only received 19k likes. Oh dear...

And boy are the reactions not good! Fandom is out in force roundly decrying this sloppy, cheap-looking, money-grabbing, CG-laden retcon. Not least of their (our) concerns is, surprise surprise, the insertion of cannon-breaking casting choices, certainly ideologically induced. How can those who spit and snarl at quote, "cultural appropriation" so blatantly do so themselves?

As the Critical Drinker below points out (whose video has produced more Likes with less than 1/20 the views), Tolkien's Middle Earth is already populated by non-white skinned peoples (notably in the realms of Harad and Khand), but this Amazon ignore, instead obtruding their ridiculously conspicuous presence into existing cultures depicting Old English/North European mythologies. Would they remake Seven Samurai, or Sinbad or Mulan or whatever else with westerners?? Hell no.

Not only this, we have images of Galadriel as a warrior princess, when we know her history and she was never this. Time will tell what other mutilations will be foisted upon us in this poorly conceived politically-correct sh!tshow..

In their reactions, a lot of Tolkien fans are quoting something Tolkien never actually said - "evil cannot create it can only destroy". The actual line from the book is more subtle, but no less applicable:

"The Shadow that bred them [the orcs] can only mock, it
    cannot make: not real new things of its own.."

Same for Amazon Prime
    Last edited by Mark (Star Mariner); 18th February 2022 at 17:07.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Brigantia (5th September 2022), DNA (15th October 2022), Inversion (6th September 2022), Mashika (20th February 2022), Open Minded Dude (6th September 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), Vicus (14th September 2022)

34. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The verdict is in. We were right!!

Amazon deliver The Rings of Power. And it's..........a $1billion turd.

Doych Trendo
    10 hours ago
    Amazon rigging reviews and calling criticism "trolling and racism" and pretty much playing deaf on how bad this show is. We, as fans, should not let this slide, otherwise this would become a standard procedure for every failed show, no matter the author, legacy and how bad it is.

No Fyou
    14 hours ago
    This is what happens when you employ people based on box ticking rather than ability and God given talent. Not just the actors, but writers, directors, etc.

padraic ryan
    8 hours ago
    Anyone responsible for creating this show who deems themselves a writer should undergo a lobotomy.

Ryan
    1 day ago
    Do not be too proud of the cinematic terror that you have constructed, Amazon. The ability to destroy a franchise is insignificant next to the power of the Fandom.
    Last edited by Mark (Star Mariner); 5th September 2022 at 22:03.
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Brigantia (5th September 2022), DeDukshyn (6th September 2022), DNA (15th October 2022), Inversion (6th September 2022), Mashika (6th September 2022), Open Minded Dude (6th September 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), Vicus (14th September 2022)

36. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,789 times in 1,323 posts

Quote Posted by Mark (Star Mariner) (here)
    The verdict is in. We were right!!

Amazon deliver The Rings of Power. And it's..........a $1billion turd.
    On IMDB it gets a 6.8 rating - that's dire for a production that purports to be based on Tolkien's work.

As a comparison - for Peter Jackson's trilogy on IMBD, Fellowship and Two Towers each have an 8.8 rating and Return of the King has 9.0. I wouldn't watch anything supposedly based on Tolkien that is produced nowadays, I'd get my DVDs of Jackson's trilogy out or read the books again.

37. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

ClearWater (6th September 2022), DeDukshyn (6th September 2022), DNA (15th October 2022), Inversion (6th September 2022), leavesoftrees (6th September 2022), Mare (5th September 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th September 2022), Mashika (6th September 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), Vicus (14th September 2022)

38. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

I watched the new movie in the "Predator" series - "Prey", the other day. It wasn't great at all. It all looked like CGI but I guess there was a little bit of live acting in it, I couldn't even tell - it all looked weird. Disney apparently bought the franchise, and its some woke crap, typically predictable Disney garbage. Plot was basically a Predator alien visits a ancient native village and a little girl struggling with being bullied finds her courage and saves the world from the most fierce predator in the universe.

Somehow it had like 93% on rotten tomatoes, and 8/10 or something close to that on IMDB when I checked. I would have given it a 5/10 at most. It was a weird franchise for Disney to buy, I guess they wanted to partake in the story-telling of evil aliens coming to earth to hunt humans or something ... dunno. I sure wasn't a fan of it though. I imagine it was directed at kids, who's parents remember the original with Schwarzenegger, and would be more inclined to bring their kids to the theatre to watch it, thereby maximizing profit.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Brigantia (6th September 2022), ClearWater (6th September 2022), DNA (15th October 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th September 2022), Mashika (6th September 2022), pounamuknight (6th September 2022), Vicus (14th September 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast