+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can Immortality Exist...?

1. Link to Post #21
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,047 times in 645 posts

Default Re: Can Immortality Exist...?

An interesting list of characters from myth, legend and history who sought immortality or were thought to be... (Thanks Wikipedia)

Ziusudra (also Zi-ud-sura and Zin-Suddu; Hellenized Xisuthros: "found long life" or "life of long days") of Shuruppak is listed in the WB-62 Sumerian king list[citation needed] recension as the last king of Sumer prior to the deluge. He is subsequently recorded as the hero of the Sumerian flood epic. He is also mentioned in other ancient literature, including The Death of Gilgamesh[citation needed] and The Poem of Early Rulers,[citation needed] and a late version of The Instructions of Shuruppak refers to Ziusudra. Akkadian Atrahasis ("extremely wise") and Utnapishtim ("he found life"), as well as biblical Noah ("rest") are similar heroes of flood legends of the Ancient Near East.[2]

Endymion, a shepherd in the Mount Latmus of Asia Minor. Selene fell in love with him at first sight, but Endymion is a mortal, would eventually die naturally, so Selene asked Zeus to grant Endymion eternal life, but the price was long sleep. Endymion still maintained a beautiful face and a gratifying smile after he fell asleep. Selene was deeply moved by Endymion's beauty, so she would spy on him in the cave every night.
    Tithonus, who in Greek mythology was granted eternal life but not eternal youth. He was transformed into a grasshopper.[3]

Ashwathama the Kaurava warrior after the kurukshetra was cursed by Krishna 'to be immortal and roam the earth without love, respect and social acceptance from anyone until the end of time'.[citation needed]
    The Wandering Jew (b. 1st century BC), a Jewish shoemaker. According to legend, he taunted Jesus on his way to crucifixion. Jesus cursed him to "go on forever till I return." Thus, the Wandering Jew is to live until the second coming of Jesus.[4]

John the Apostle (AD 6-101), one of Jesus's followers. Some Mormons, in conjunction with their own scriptures, interpret the biblical scripture found at John 21:21-23 to mean that John will tarry or remain on the earth until the Second Coming.[5]

The Three Nephites (between AD 34 and 35), three men described in the Book of Mormon who are given power over death in order to fulfill their desire to minister among men until Jesus comes again.[6]

Markandeya, a sage who was granted immortality at the age of sixteen.[citation needed]
    Sir Galahad (born 2nd-6th century), one of the three Arthurian knights to find the Holy Grail. Of these questing knights, Galahad is the only one to have achieved immortality by it.[7]

Merlin (2nd century-6th centuries), the famous magician. In some accounts, Merlin is trapped by an enchantment by Nimue, and while some end with Merlin dying, in others he remains in the trap (variously a tomb, a cave, a mist, or a tree) indefinitely.[citation needed]

Nicolas Flamel (c. 1330 – ), a French scribe and manuscript seller. He is believed to have found and decoded the everchanging book of Abraham the Mage, and found a spell for immortality, along with his wife.

Count of St. Germain. Myths, legends, and speculations about St. Germain began to be widespread in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and continue today. They include beliefs that he is immortal.

Mahavatar Babaji (30 November 203 BCE), an Indian Kriya Yoga guru who is believed to have manifested 5,000 years ago in India and is still presently alive in his physical body. He is reputed to live in India or at the Himalaya mountain.[8]

Olumba Olumba (born 1918) is a Nigerian religious leader and founder of Brotherhood of the Cross and Star, an alleged evil cult and new religion. Olumba claimed to be the Abrahamic God[9] in human form. Members of his religion as well as third party occult experts claim he is immortal.[10]
    Failed quests for immortality

Gilgamesh (possibly reigned during the 26th century BC) after the death of his companion, Enkidu, Gilgamesh pursues immortality to avoid Enkidu's fate. Gilgamesh fails two tests and does not become immortal, realising instead that mortals attain immortality through lasting works of civilization and culture. Gilgamesh's story is among the oldest stories recorded.[11]

Qin Shi Huang, the First Emperor of China who reigned during 259 BC–210 BC, also sought immortality in his old age. Twice he sent hundreds of people under the direction of Xu Fu to find the legendary elixir of life, but failed. He allegedly died of mercury poisoning after he had eaten too many mercury pills, prescribed by his court doctors to make him immortal.[12]

One thing that I do believe like others above - The soul is immortal, but alas the vessel is not

I am reminded of this English Gentleman Thomas Parr, whom the whisky "old Parr" is named after and is buried at Westminster Abbey, whilst not immortal, he endured quite an innings of 152 years.

William Harvey, the Royal Surgeon performed a post mortem on Parr who died only after weeks of feasting at great banquets after being invited to London meet and dine with Charles I.

The inscription of his gravestone reads:

THO: PARR OF YE COUNTY OF SALLOP. BORNE
    IN AD: 1483. HE LIVED IN YE REIGNES OF TEN
    PRINCES VIZ: K.ED.4. K.ED.5. K.RICH.3.
    K.HEN.7. K.HEN.8. K.EDW.6. Q.MA. Q.ELIZ. K.JA. & K. CHARLES. AGED 152 YEARES.
    & WAS BURYED HERE NOVEMB. 15. 1635.

Cause of death? "Over indulgence of life's un accustomed luxuries" -

A stern warning to us all perhaps and something we should pay heed to.

One thing for sure, Whilst I may not be immortal (yet), I can confirm that I arrived on this plain in the 1960s and so far been living in 6 decades, 2 centuries and 2 millenia

And as the famous Scottish diner/road side cafe sign says...

Ye may gang faur and fare waur...

...so Lang may yer lums reek
    Last edited by scotslad; 7th November 2021 at 17:28.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Agape (8th November 2021), Ankle Biter (8th November 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (8th November 2021)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,244 times in 4,597 posts

Thanks for your resume above 🍀

It does not take too long to realize that “human immortality” in the world where everyone else is obliged to die would be a curse rather than a blessing.

Realistically speaking, i wish that the quality of life would improve even to that stage that majority of humans would find their life meaningful and enjoyable.

Today’s “centenaries” and other long lived people are mostly, fully dependent on others help to survive. Very few of them would make it on their own ( in today’s competitive society as we know it).
    Young technocrats dream of eternalising themselves by uploading their vital information to computers in future and merging with artificial intelligence as a form of survival beyond this life&death.

Personally , I’ve always considered this physical vessel/body a piece of nuisance we have to cope with, giving us too many chores everyday,
    a car in need of constant energy input.

Yet I fully believe it can be transformed, transmuted metaphysically and thus we may also understand ourselves as immortal life on larger scale of Universe.

Just not “only human”. Humans are mortal so far, period the end.

😢
    Last edited by Agape; 8th November 2021 at 03:20.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Ankle Biter (8th November 2021), mozo33 (8th November 2021), scotslad (8th November 2021), Wind (8th November 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,647 times in 1,188 posts

I agree Star Mariner
    They also used to put seeds into the pyramids which would then give an excellent crop.

As I understand Pyramids were often built over quartz. If you then pass water through the quartz it generates a huge amount of energy. It is also claimed the Holy Grail was a large chest that was charged up inside the pyramid and could store energy/electricity
    Last edited by yelik; 8th November 2021 at 12:53.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yelik For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (8th November 2021), scotslad (8th November 2021)

7. Link to Post #24
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,047 times in 645 posts

Noah apparently lived to 950 years old, and methuselah - 969, but did Mahavatar Babaji really live to be 2000+ years old...?

More HERE - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahavatar_Babaji

and another intriguing yogi - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haidakhan_Babaji

Jpe Rogan discusses "Quantum Immortality"

Last edited by scotslad; 8th November 2021 at 18:50.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

BMJ (25th December 2022)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,350 times in 1,708 posts

Subject: Department of State FOIA Log 2018, Case Number: F-2019-00379

Ref Req: F-2019-02110.
    Req Name: Denetra D Senigar.
    Subject: Requesting documents pertaining to the resurrection chamber of Gilgamesh, the location of his body and the location of the buried Nephilim.
    Receive Date: 12/13/2018.

Link: (See page 470) https://foia.state.gov/Search/Result...6zjKpneqi1ojbQ

Note:
    Just to clarify this individual Denetra D Senigar could possibly be an alias of Hillary Clinton. Furthermore the finding of this information is due to investigation by other individuals into the 30K plus of emails on Hillary Clinton's infamous laptop.

As seen in SG-1 aka the goa'uld sarcophagus.

Last edited by BMJ; 23rd December 2022 at 06:13.
    In hoc signo vinces / In this sign thou shalt conquer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Inversion (23rd December 2022)

11. Link to Post #26
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,303 times in 1,185 posts

Arrow Re: Can Immortality Exist...?

And immortality from the philosopher's stone for alchemists, you know?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

BMJ (23rd December 2022), Inversion (23rd December 2022)

13. Link to Post #27
    Great Britain Avalon Member ian33's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,280 times in 463 posts

i have pondered this question in the past
    would it be desirable for the planet?
    a finite lifespan is the main means of population control, stopping us from consuming the planet.. unless it involved celibacy(curbing procreation)
    ....this left me with the question
    do we have to procreate because we die? or do we have to die because we procreate?
    even stars die eventually

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ian33 For This Post:

Isserley (24th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (23rd December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th December 2022)

15. Link to Post #28
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,224 times in 2,093 posts

Well, in my opinion based on the strange and always challenging life I have lived (and in a country of privilege apparently), there must be some reason for all of this.

To pass from this life with no memory of the experience seems like such a waste of time.

I just can't accept that there is no life or some type of existence after all this shyte.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (23rd December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th December 2022)

17. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,021 times in 2,189 posts

Why would anyone think that we are not immortal? Everything lives on, name one item on this planet that does not live on. Soil, rocks, trees, mountains, trash, nuclear waste every single item that we have ever touched or ever seen will live on in some form into eternity. This we know for a fact. Why would the human body and the soul that inhabits our human body be any different? The mistake that most of us make is that we judge everything through the prism of time, when we are talking about immortality time is actually meaningless.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Docim369 (27th December 2022), Isserley (24th December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th December 2022), Patient (24th December 2022), Wind (24th December 2022)

19. Link to Post #30
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,224 times in 2,093 posts

Some people would refer to immortality as living forever "in their current body" rather than an eternal spirit.

When looking at it in that sense, time does have meaning as it defines the experience in a physical body.

I think many of us here at Avalon do look and believe in an eternal spirit.

And I am not bringing anything new to the conversation - Lol!

But as our electricity just returned (and it is cold) and I have been keeping the PC kids entertained, I had an urge to contribute something here.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Docim369 (27th December 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th December 2022), NancyV (24th December 2022), rgray222 (24th December 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2