1. Link to Post #101
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Default Re: Mainstream vs. Alternative

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    That's the only picture I was trying to paint. Because when I hear the left media, I'm like, "that's manipulation," or "that's race baiting," or "that's just bullsh!t." But when I find myself watching or listening to the right-leaning media on these cultural or social talking points I'm like, "yup, that's true," or "yup, that's the way I see it," or "yup, I totally agree."

Make no mistake, there is a war raging against us and around us. At stake are our minds and our very souls. I firmly believe that. And the only ones in the mainstream media who seem to be taking any kind of stand, offering any kind of antidote to the insanity, are the right-leaning ones.

For me, it's as simple as that.
    I'm glad this is finally being laid out squarely on the table on this thread. To me there's nothing wrong with being right leaning, left leaning, or whatever way of leaning, any way of leaning is legitimate in my book. Even if it's disagreeable.

If one prefers right leaning media, then they are preferable to a right a leaning way of looking at the world; and conversely, one who is preferable to left leaning media, is preferable to a left leaning way of looking at the world. There's just no way around that.

But up until just recently here on this thread, I was finding it quite confounding that even though pretty much the only news *and* commentary being presented across the full forum spectrum has been right leaning since the advent of Trump, but for some reason it couldn't be said.

Now again I think that's just fine, it's totally legitimate, I'm just happy it's coming out of the closet so to speak.

I do still have a problem with outlets such as FOX, OAN and Newsmax not being considered mainstream news, because they most certainly are, they aren't exempt just for the fact that one may find their presentations palatable.

Speaking of which:

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    • Rittenhouse does have a case for defamation: Emily Compagno:
    John, please, save for the fact that FOX NEWS is part of the mainstream vs. Alternative universe, this post is way off topic, and should have gone to a different discussion like the breaking news thread or something.

2. Link to Post #102
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,749 times in 20,828 posts

Exclamation Re: Mainstream vs. Alternative

• Alternative Media vs. Mainstream 2012: History, Jobs, Advertising - Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas

Alternative Media 2012 are media (newspapers, radio, television, magazines, movies, Internet, etc.) which provide alternative information to the mainstream media in a given context, whether the mainstream media are commercial, publicly supported, or government-owned. Alternative media differ from mainstream media along one or more of the following dimensions: their content, aesthetic, modes of production, modes of distribution, and audience relations. Alternative media often aim to challenge existing powers, to represent marginalized groups, and to foster horizontal linkages among communities of interest. Proponents of alternative media argue that the mainstream media are biased in the selection and framing of news and information. While sources of alternative media can also be biased (sometimes proudly so), proponents claim that the bias is significantly different than that of the mainstream media because they have a different set of values, objectives, and frameworks. Hence these media provide an "alternative" viewpoint, different information and interpretations of the world that cannot be found in the mainstream. As such, advocacy journalism tends to be a component of many alternative outlets. Because the term "alternative" has connotations of self-marginalization, some media outlets now prefer the term "independent" over "alternative". Several different categories of media may fall under the heading of alternative media. These include, but are not limited to, radical and dissident media, social movement media, ethnic/racial media, indigenous media, community media, subcultural media, student media, and avant-garde media. Each of these categories highlights the perceived shortcomings of dominant media to serve particular audiences, aims and interests, and attempts to overcome these shortcomings through their own media. The traditional, binary definition of alternative media as stated above has been expanded in the last decade. Simply comparing alternative media to the mainstream media ignores the profound effect that making media has on the makers. As producers and actors within their community, modern alternative media activists redefine their self-image, their interpretation of citizenship, and their world. Clemencia Rodriguez explains, "I could see how producing alternative media messages implies much more than simply challenging the mainstream media ... It implies having the opportunity to create one's own images of self and environment; it implies being able to recodify one's own identity with the signs and codes that one chooses, thereby disrupting the traditional acceptance of those imposed by outside sources." With the increasing importance attributed to digital technologies, questions have arisen about where digital media fit in the dichotomy between alternative and mainstream media. Blogs, Facebook, Twitter and other similar sites, while not necessarily created to be information media, increasingly are being used to spread news and information, potentially acting as alternative media as they allow ordinary citizens to bypass the gatekeepers of traditional, mainstream media and share the information and perspectives these citizens deem important. Additionally, digital media provide an alternative space for deviant, dissident or non-traditional views, and allow for the creation of new, alternative communities that can provide a voice for those normally marginalized by the mainstream media. However, some have criticized the weaknesses of the Web. First, for its ability to act as both "alternative and a mass medium brings with it the tension of in-group and out-group communication." Second, the Web "rarely lives up to its potential" with constraints to access. Digital technologies have also led to an alternative form of video more commonly known as citizen generated journalism. Individuals and smaller groups have the potential to describe and make public their interpretations of the world. Video shot on camcorders, FLIP cameras, and now cell phones have been utilized by the alternative media to commonly show human rights abuses. In turn the mainstream media picks up on these videos when it fits their narrative of what it deems "newsworthy".
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 24th November 2021 at 16:44.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (6th December 2021), Gracy (24th November 2021), Hym (28th November 2021), O Donna (17th January 2022)

4. Link to Post #103
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

It's is not that simple.

To propose platitudes that the left leaning mainstream media is just another slant on the news, is incorrect.

My buddy believes, and he is no sloucher but now he has me wondering, that the vax is perfectly safe, no one has died from it, and that it has some sort of palliative effect only on the most severely ill. He also believes that only the unvaccinated are in the ICU. He also believes the unvaxed are spreading the waves of infection. These are all talking points of the talking heads on the mainstream news channels. It is lies and misrepresentaion. It is dangerous when these agencies pretend to be delivering the news, and people believe it. And it is a joke that they spew their lies about covid and then the commercial is paid for by Phizer. Give me a break.

The MSM does not get a pass. Had they done their jobs we would not have to mass migrate to alternate sites.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (6th December 2021), ExomatrixTV (24th November 2021), Gracy (24th November 2021), mojo (16th January 2022), mountain_jim (24th November 2021), O Donna (17th January 2022), PurpleLama (24th November 2021), Vangelo (25th November 2021)

6. Link to Post #104
    Language
    Thanks

• Media Bias Revealed? This "Blind Spot" Website Attempts To Show You.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (6th December 2021), Gracy (24th November 2021), O Donna (17th January 2022), Vangelo (25th November 2021)

8. Link to Post #105
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

These two on "Breaking Points" I've come to trust in their news and commentary, and that's not easy let me tell you LOL! He's on the right and used to be a White House reporter, she's on the left and got purged from MSNBC, and they make a good odd couple team.

But both have one thing in common from their mainstream experience: they've learned to not be bashful in critiquing their own side when deserved, which is taboo in the U.S. cable news regular operating procedures, and have found freedom of expression out on their own.

I wouldn't classify Saager and Krystal as mainstream or alternative, they are more a product of Independent Media, after having learned from the school of hard knocks in the mainstream.

They comment on how it is verboten to go on a left wing, or a right wing outlet, and go off script by critiquing the particular network or point of view that is interviewing you. You're expected to critique "the other", and by committing the ultimate sin of not abiding by that unwritted golden rule of partisan cable news, one can quickly find themselves, and the place they come from as well, given the cold shoulder and not be invited back.

This is so true, and a big reason for America's ever widening great divide, they illustrate this perfectly in the following 7 minute segment:
    Last edited by Gracy; 28th November 2021 at 00:12.

9. Link to Post #106
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (6th December 2021), ExomatrixTV (28th November 2021), Gracy (28th November 2021)

11. Link to Post #107
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Quote Posted by Gracy (here)
    These two on "Breaking Points" I've come to trust in their news and commentary, and that's not easy let me tell you LOL! He's on the right and used to be a White House reporter, she's on the left and got purged from MSNBC, and they make a good odd couple team.

But both have one thing in common from their mainstream experience: they've learned to not be bashful in critiquing their own side when deserved, which is taboo in the U.S. cable news regular operating procedures, and have found freedom of expression out on their own.

I wouldn't classify Saager and Krystal as mainstream or alternative, they are more a product of Independent Media, after having learned from the school of hard knocks in the mainstream.

They comment on how it is verboten to go on a left wing, or a right wing outlet, and go off script by critiquing the particular network or point of view that is interviewing you. You're expected to critique "the other", and by committing the ultimate sin of not abiding by that unwritted golden rule of partisan cable news, one can quickly find themselves, and the place they come from as well, given the cold shoulder and not be invited back.

This is so true, and a big reason for America's ever widening great divide, they illustrate this perfectly in the following 7 minute segment:
    Great short starting point clip to pass on to status quo friends/family that replaces having to put alternative journo's in their face which many will dismiss immediately as being conspiratorial.

Kindergarten stuff for Avalon members but let's face it, many people we know are still peeing in nappies.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (6th December 2021), Gracy (28th November 2021), Hym (6th December 2021)

13. Link to Post #108
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Mainstream vs. Alternative

• Former Corporate Journalist Exposes Mainstream Media, Pins Down Exactly When Journalism Went Wrong:

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (6th December 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th December 2021), rgray222 (7th December 2021)

15. Link to Post #109
    Language
    Thanks

• What James O’Keefe found at a “Rise and Resist” Protest outside NYYR Gala

When blind MSM followers are confronted ... listen carefully how they explain themselves to justify smearing/defaming/misrepresenting James O’Keefe

• James O'Keefe's Lawyer on the FBI Raiding Project Veritas' Homes | The Megyn Kelly Show
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 6th December 2021 at 17:47.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (6th December 2021), mountain_jim (7th December 2021), Nasu (16th January 2022), O Donna (17th January 2022), Reinhard (16th January 2022), rgray222 (7th December 2021)

17. Link to Post #110
    Language
    Thanks

• Joe Rogan DESTROYS MSM As Jon Stewart SLAMS Its LIES:

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

O Donna (17th January 2022), Reinhard (16th January 2022)

19. Link to Post #111
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,437 times in 5,646 posts

Very interesting seeing the posts in this thread is very telling but Ill leave that up to you...

20. Link to Post #112
    Language
    Thanks

• Jeff Zucker - The gift from CNN that kept on giving:

Ethical Values
    • Rule #1 – Truth is paramount. Our reporting is fact based with clear and irrefutable video and audio content. Truth is paramount. We never deceive our audience. We do not distort the facts or the context. We do not “selectively edit.”
    • Rule #2 – We do not break the law. We maintain one-party consent when recording someone is inherently moral and ethical. We never record when there is zero-party consent. In areas where we are required to have consent from all parties, we seek legal guidance regarding the expectation of privacy’s impact on our right to record.
    • Rule #3 – We adhere to the 1st Amendment rights of others. During our investigations we do not disrupt the peace. We do not infringe on the 1st Amendment rights of others.
    • Rule #4 – The Zekman Test. The undercover investigations we pursue are judged by us to be of “vital public interest” and “profound importance.” The Zekman Test is our baseline. Undercover investigative reporting is necessary because, “...there’s no other way to get the story...” Whereas the Society of Professional Journalists allows for undercover techniques, if undercover techniques are necessary to expose issues of vital public importance; we believe they are not only allowed but required.
    • Rule #5 – We Protect the Innocent When Possible - Embarrassing private details are not to be investigated. We stay away from irrelevant embarrassingly intimate details about private citizens personal lives. We look for individual wrong-doing and judge its public importance. The irrelevant religious or sexual dispositions of our targets are not to be investigated.
    • Rule #6 – Transparency. Our methods & tactics must be reasonable and defensible. We use the “Twelve Jurors on Our Shoulder” rule. The work has to be done with such a degree of integrity that it can withstand scrutiny in both law & ethics. We are comfortable with transparency. We must be willing to be ready to disclose our methods upon publication.
    • Rule #7 – Verifying and Corroborate Stories – Evaluate impact on third parties and Newsworthiness of Statements Alone.We consistently consider the probable truth or falsity of statements, examine any reasons to doubt the veracity of underlying assertions and whether the assertions are newsworthy. When possible, we will confirm with our subjects that their statements captured on video are accurate & truthful. At the very least, we will give our subjects an opportunity to elaborate and/or respond. In all matters, we rely on the 1st Amendment to protect our ability to publish newsworthy items after our internal deliberations. On whether there is an obligation to ensure the veracity of statements made on video, 1.) consider whether the remarks may potentially impact an innocent third party. (Factors in support of releasing the content) and 2.)The Newsworthiness of the statement alone by itself. (Factors against releasing the content).
    • Rule #8 – Raw Video. In certain circumstances we may release the “raw” video to the press and or the public. But as a rule, we do not.
    • Rule #9 – Subject Anonymity. We investigate & question sources before promising anonymity. Once we confirm, we will do everything in our power to protect the identity of our confidential sources.
    • Rule #10 – Being Accountable. Admit mistakes & correct them promptly.
    • Rule #11 – We do not manufacture content. We do not put words in our investigative subjects' mouths. We do not lead the horse to water. Our purpose is to elicit truth.
    • Rule #12 – With Great Power comes Great Responsibility.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

DeDukshyn (6th February 2022), Franny (4th February 2022), Mike (6th February 2022)

22. Link to Post #113
    Language
    Thanks

• The Legacy Medias Astroturfed Joe Rogan "Controversy" is Backfiring Badly:

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

ClearWater (6th February 2022), DeDukshyn (6th February 2022), Mike (6th February 2022), Vicus (6th February 2022)

24. Link to Post #114
    Language
    Thanks

• Is CNN Just a Demented Sex Club Masquerading As a News Network?:

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

ClearWater (6th February 2022), DeDukshyn (6th February 2022), Mike (6th February 2022), Vicus (6th February 2022)

26. Link to Post #115
    Language
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Mainstream vs. Alternative

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 6th February 2022 at 02:38.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

DeDukshyn (6th February 2022), gini (6th February 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (2nd March 2022), Vicus (6th February 2022)

28. Link to Post #116
    Language
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Mainstream vs. Alternative

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 6th February 2022 at 02:49.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

DeDukshyn (6th February 2022), Vicus (6th February 2022)

30. Link to Post #117
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

ClearWater (6th February 2022), ExomatrixTV (1st March 2022), gini (6th February 2022), Vicus (6th February 2022)

32. Link to Post #118
    Language
    Thanks

• Jimmy Dore: The Establishment Are Sh**ting Their Pants:

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (2nd March 2022), haroldsails (2nd March 2022)

34. Link to Post #119
    Language
    Thanks

• Brian Stelter ROASTED By College Freshman:

• 'The Five' Reacts to CNN's Stelter schooled by college kid:

• CNN Host Confronted Over Misinformation By College Student:
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 12th April 2022 at 23:11.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (12th April 2022)

36. Link to Post #120
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Mainstream vs. Alternative

• From Mainstream TV Anchor to InfoWars guest || Kristi Leigh:

Kristi Leigh is a former mainstream TV news anchor who most recently worked for Sinclair Broadcasting. She has been speaking out about media bias especially related to Covid reporting and did so on InfoWars with YouTube's first big name censored host... you know who I mean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 6 7 LastLast