Thread: Recent Cardiac Events Amongst Sports People

1. Link to Post #1221
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,247 times in 2,174 posts

Default Re: Recent Cardiac Events Amongst Sports People

Quote “Sudden And Unexpected”
    @toobaffled

"SUDDENLY"
    Since the beginning of the year 2024, eight professional football players have suddenly collapsed -
    Six of them had heart failure and unfortunately three of them passed away -
    RIP 🙏

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

avid (26th March 2024), Bill Ryan (26th March 2024), Ewan (Yesterday), Harmony (26th March 2024), Jambo (26th March 2024), Reinhard (Yesterday), Stephanie (Today), wondering (Yesterday)

3. Link to Post #1222
    Thanks

(My emphasis last paragraph)

Quote Sudden illness for Matteo Ferrecchia, who died at the age of 43 playing five-a-side football in Rovato, his friends: "We are unarmed" Ferrecchia was playing with some friends when he suddenly collapsed to the ground due to cardiac arrest

by Editorial Staff 14 March 2024

He collapsed to the ground during a soccer game with friends due to a sudden illness. Matteo Ferrecchia died in hospital at the age of 43 due to a heart attack. The man had been struck by an illness while he was playing with friends in a sports center in Rovato, a municipality in the province of Brescia, around 8pm on Tuesday 12 March. Ferrecchia lived in Castelli Calepio, in the Bergamo area and was the father of five children.

Sudden illness for Matteo Ferrecchia, who died at the age of 43 playing soccer, the municipality of Castelli Calepio: "We are disarmed"

A sudden illness during a soccer match. Thus passed away Matteo Ferrecchia, 43 years old, who died probably due to a heart attack. Ferrecchia was playing with some friends when he suddenly collapsed to the ground. The man was resuscitated by medics, who rushed on board an ambulance, and then transferred to hospital by air ambulance: hospitalized in dramatic conditions, the doctors were unable to do anything to save his life.

According to a first reconstruction, Ferrecchia collapsed during a game under the incredulous eyes of his friends (who tried to resuscitate him with the defibrillator while waiting for help) and his wife, who felt ill due to the strong shock while witnessing the resuscitation maneuvers and was in turn taken into care by 118. Emergency admission to the Civil hospital, transferred to hospital by helicopter, Matteo Ferrecchia died in the following hours: first cardiac arrest, then cerebral hemorrhage.

When the news spread, numerous searches were carried out on the web to understand if there could be a correlation between the sudden illness and the Covid vaccine, but for the moment there is no information on vaccination and any adverse reactions.
    https://www.ilgiornaleditalia.it/new...hia-morto.html

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

avid (Today), Bill Ryan (Yesterday), Ewan (Today), Harmony (Today), Reinhard (Yesterday), Stephanie (Today), wondering (Yesterday)

5. Link to Post #1223
    Thanks

Quote A great loss for sport, the well-known athlete lost her life prematurely

WRITTEN BY SOT.COM.AL
    22 January 2024

The athlete Alba Cebrián, from the Celtíberas club, has died after several days in hospital, after suffering a cardiac arrest during training on the slopes of La Vall d'Uixó in Castellón.

The 23-year-old was a middle-distance runner, specializing in the 3000 steeplechase. She had also competed in the 1500 meters distance and in the mountain running competitions.

Cebrián fainted during training and was treated by a doctor, who began CPR until an ambulance arrived and she was taken to hospital, where she stayed in the ICU for several days.

The athletics club of Celtíberas, to which the athlete belonged, announced the fatal outcome this Monday. "All of us who are part of the athletics club Celtíberas de Soria are devastated to have to announce the death of our colleague Alba Cebrián Chiva. We join her entire family in these painful moments. We will always remember you Alba."
    https://sot.com.al/english/gossip/hu...rifoto-i637369

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

avid (Today), Bill Ryan (Yesterday), Ewan (Today), Harmony (Today), Reinhard (Yesterday), Stephanie (Today), wondering (Yesterday)

7. Link to Post #1224
    Thanks

(My emphasis last paragraph)

Quote LUCKY TO BE ALIVE Fitness coach, 22, rushed to hospital ‘with 12% chance of survival’ after suffering deadly ‘widowmaker’

The avid gym-goer has issued a stark warning for all young people, parents and doctors

Alice Fuller, Senior Health Reporter
    Published: 0:01, 26 Mar 2024

FITNESS coach Faith Harrison was feeling healthier than ever when she drove over an hour to play in a hockey match on January 6.

She assisted in two goals, sprinted around the pitch, and smashed the opposing team.

But after the game, the 22-year-old started to feel a little strange.

Faith, an avid gym-goer from Little Minsterly, Shropshire, said: "I just didn’t feel like myself.

"I didn’t feel sick or ill, just not like me.

"I got in my car to drive home and about 30 minutes in, my arm just went numb and tingly, and my chest went very tight like someone was sitting on it.

"I did wonder if something serious was going on, but I could speak and move so I thought I was OK.

"I never thought it could be to do with my heart."

Faith decided to drive to her parent's house as it was closer than her own.

"Somehow, I got there. But as soon as I walked in, I said: 'Something is wrong'," she said.

Now incredibly concerned, her dad phoned 999 - but the call handler said it was probably anxiety or a panic attack.

"By this time though, I knew something was seriously wrong," Faith said.

"Sam and my dad took me to A&E at the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford."

On arrival, doctors advised she needed to be taken by ambulance to Royal Stoke University Hospital - the nearest heart centre.

There, tests revealed a blood clot was blocking one of Faith’s coronary arteries by 90 per cent, and that she had been having what’s known as a 'widowmaker' heart attack for the last seven hours.

She was lucky to be alive.

Studies suggest that only 12 per cent of people who suffer a 'widowmaker' outside of hospital survive.

Faith was also diagnosed with a patent foramen ovale (PFO) - a small hole between the top two chambers of the heart, which usually closes after birth.

In very rare cases, a PFO can allow a normally harmless blood clot to reach a coronary artery and create a blockage, leading to a heart attack.

Faith had an emergency thrombectomy - a procedure to remove a blood clot from an artery.

Unfortunately, the damage to her heart during her attack was so severe that she now has heart failure, meaning her heart doesn't pump blood around the body effectively.

Faith added: "Having the heart attack and being told I have heart failure has been life changing.

"I had business goals, I had fitness goals, I had life goals.

"Now my goals are very different because my physical and mental health has changed so much."

The British Heart Foundation (BHF) has been supporting her throughout her recovery.

"It’s been comforting to know the charity is there for me whenever I need it as a resource of support," Faith, who raised £250 from her hospital bed, said.

"Their leaflets were a lifeline to me, and I’ve used the Heart Helpline to learn more about cardiac rehabilitation.

"I also want to thank the cardiologists at Royal Stoke University Hospital for taking such good care of me."

'Don't take life for granted'

Faith added: "What happened to me was rubbish, but I’ve been given a second chance and I want to do something with it.

"For me, I want to raise awareness with young people that they’re not invincible and tell them not to take life for granted.

"Everyone, even young people, needs to learn the symptoms of a heart attack so they don’t delay seeking help. It could be lifesaving.

"It’s also vital that healthcare professionals don’t assume that young people can’t have heart attacks.

"I’m living proof that they do."
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/2690...tack-symptoms/

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

avid (Today), Bill Ryan (Yesterday), Ewan (Today), Harmony (Today), Reinhard (Today), Stephanie (Today), wondering (Yesterday)

9. Link to Post #1225
    Thanks

Quote Rio Grande High School student dies after collapsing on track

By KOB
    March 26, 2024

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A 17-year-old student collapsed on the Rio Grande High School track Sunday.

According to the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office, it happened around 9:30 a.m. Sunday.

Two girls called 911 when they saw the teenage boy collapse while he was running on the track.

A deputy gave the teen CPR before he was taken to UNM Hospital. He died Tuesday morning.

This is a developing story. Stay with KOB 4 Eyewitness News and KOB.com for updates.
    https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/rio-g...sing-on-track/

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

avid (Today), Bill Ryan (Today), Ewan (Today), Harmony (Today), Reinhard (Today), wondering (Today)

11. Link to Post #1226
    Thanks

Quote Ethiopia international Alelegn Azene dies suddenly

March 2024 21:13
    By:Vandyke

Ethiopia international Alelegn Azene passed away on Wednesday morning.
    The cause of death has not been disclosed yet.

The Ethiopian international and Bahir Dar City player started his football career in his hometown of Arbaminch.

He featured for the Arba Minch City Football Club from 2016/17 to 2018/19 before moving to Hawassa City for two seasons before eventually joining Bahir Dar City two years ago.

The impressive midfielder helped the Waves of Tana to a historic second place finish in 2022/23 Ethiopian Premier League season and also represented the club in the Confederations Cup.

He played 27 games for Bahir Dar City in the 2022/23 season and scored five goals.
    He featured in 22 games this season and scored one goal.

His performance at club level has earned him national honours and it was expected that he would play an important part in the Walyas jersey for years to come.
    He played for the Olympic team and for the National team of Ethiopia under Wubetu Abate.

Azene was married less than a month ago.
    https://beta.supersport.com/football...-dies-suddenly

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

avid (Today), Bill Ryan (Today), Ewan (Today), Harmony (Today), Reinhard (Today), wondering (Today)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst 1 12 52 62