Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Projects, Permaculture, Homestead, Farmstead and the likes

1. Link to Post #41
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,373 times in 1,568 posts

Default Re: Projects, Permaculture, Homestead, Farmstead and the likes

Another nice video I came across today, Kris Harbour took around 5 years to build his place, you can watch the details in his video (23:49) here:

--
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th June 2022), Ewan (26th June 2022), Harmony (26th June 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (8th August 2022), Mari (25th September 2022), Pam (15th February 2023)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,973 times in 20,621 posts

Preppers: Sweden bracing for the worst | DW Documentary
    467,381 views Jul 19, 2022
    DW Documentary
    4.23M subscribers

"Since Russia’s full-scale invasion into Ukraine, Sweden has grown more wary of Russian aggression. The Swedish government wants its citizens to be ready for the worst-case scenario and is encouraging them to become "preppers."

After Russia illegally annexed the Crimean Peninsula in 2014 and stepped up military exercises along the Baltic states, Sweden responded in 2017 by reintroducing compulsory military service. Sweden is expanding and better equipping its armed forces, while gradually increasing its defense budget. When Sweden requested NATO membership earlier this year, it marked a historic reversal of the nation’s longtime stance of military non-alignment.

Now, it’s up to Swedish citizens to ready themselves for the unthinkable and actively prepare for disaster. Robin has been prepping for years. The father sees to it that his home in Stockholm always has enough supplies for his family to survive independently for several weeks. He takes regular trips to the forest to spend a few days in the wilderness. His children always come with him, so that they, too, can practice survival skills.

In Sweden, interest in prepping is at an all-time high. Across all social strata, people are carefully stocking tins, training survival skills, and even learning how to shoot. And the preppers are networking. Pär Plüschke is 38 and offers prepping courses. He says enrollment used to be manageable but now he can hardly keep up with the demand.

In the wake of intensifying armed conflicts, the disastrous effects of climate change, and a growing threat of cyber attacks, more and more Swedes want to take action. Instead of simply discussing these issues, they feel this is the best way to assume responsibility for themselves and protect their community."

Each breath a gift...

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th August 2022), Ewan (19th December 2022), Harmony (7th August 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (8th August 2022), Mari (25th September 2022), palehorse (7th August 2022), Pam (15th February 2023)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,973 times in 20,621 posts

There are some some playlists of videos from National Geographic about prepping
    See:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hcp...xjHk8vz-krPYCR
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60h7...Qf1qYQghJ6-ijX
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th September 2022), Ewan (19th December 2022), Harmony (8th August 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (8th August 2022), palehorse (25th September 2022), Pam (15th February 2023)

7. Link to Post #44
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Found a nice Thai animation from Mahidol University promoting the philosophy of sufficiency economy and the new theory on agriculture created by the late King Bhumibol. It is in English and it is almost 1 hour long. I promise you will not waste your time watching it. Seems a bit cheesy in some parts, but the general idea in my opinion is a great message for the Thai people and for the world as well.

I found out about this little animation because of my kid, then Thanks to her I am sharing it.

--

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th September 2022), Ewan (19th December 2022), Pam (15th February 2023)

9. Link to Post #45
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    There are some some playlists of videos from National Geographic about prepping
    See:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hcp...xjHk8vz-krPYCR
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60h7...Qf1qYQghJ6-ijX
    Nice selection of short videos, welding with the battery and the glow sticks were great! thanks.
    --

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th September 2022), Ewan (19th December 2022), onawah (25th September 2022), Pam (15th February 2023)

11. Link to Post #46
    Aaland Avalon Member Blastolabs's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,351 times in 431 posts

I've been looking into various ways to EASILY generate electricity off grid using mostly "used cheap or free parts"

My partner mentioned that nearly all washing machines these days use brush less motors that are meant to run at low speeds.

This is one item that should not be too hard to find cheap or free right now, and may actually be even easier to find if we find the world without a power grid for an extended period. I've been told that if you pay to go to a garbage dump, you WILL find these things, although it is typically illegal to take stuff from a dump, and be safe of course bla bla

Turns out this idea is NOT unique, and others have already realized that washing machine motors are ideal for a variety of reasons.

Don't throw out that old washing machine!!! Get this out first

Pictures of all the parts that should be removed

Instructions below taken from the link below, its an archive of a website from 2012 yourgreendream.com

Someone at some point discovered that these also make near perfect generators with great efficiencies, especially at lower speeds. These have also been found to have numerous other advantages.

• They can tolerate large amp loads so do not easily burn out.
    • They are easily convertible for whatever voltage you require.
    • They have a stainless steel, toothed shaft for easily attaching your driving mechanism.
    • And they have great corrosion resistance as they are designed to be used in washing machines and thus exposed to water on occasion.
    • And best of all, if you live in an area in which they are sold, people usually are throwing them out once the washing machine breaks down, so you can get them for free or next to nothing.

What you need
    • 1 Screw driver
    • 1 large adjustable spanner
    • 1 normal adjustable spanner
    • 1 old flat head screw driver
    • 1 philips head screw driver.
    • Drill or circular saw

How to do it
    First we want to remove the main bits, the Stator and hub. These are the easy and fun bits, just few screws and bolts. Grab the washing machine and turn it upside down or on it's side so you can access the under the machine. Some have a bottom metal plate, held on by a few plastic clasps. Just pop them open with you flat head screw driver and you should be able to access the guts under the hood. It should look something like below. If it doesn't it may not be a Fisher and Paykel smart drive washing machine.
    The first thing you notice is the huge large grey disk. This is the hub, a plastic wheel with magnets along the inside. In the center, sticking out, is a white plastic cylinder which is basically a plastic nut, holding the hub on. Hold the hub still and turn the white plastic cylinder round and round with your hands until the hub comes off. Put it in you box of bits to keep.
    And under the hub is the stator. It looks like the picture below, a white plastic wheel with lots of copper wires looped over the spokes.
    Grab your adjustable spanner and remove the four bolts holding the stator on. Add the four bolts, the stator and the two large metal washers and put the in you box of bits to keep.

The rest of the instructions found here

Here is another website that focuses on DIY off grid electronics projects.

https://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill...ngOffGrid1.asp
    Last edited by Blastolabs; 25th September 2022 at 22:45.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blastolabs For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th September 2022), Brigantia (21st December 2022), Ewan (19th December 2022), ExomatrixTV (20th December 2022), Harmony (20th December 2022), lisalu (21st December 2022), palehorse (1st November 2022), Pam (15th February 2023), Sue (Ayt) (26th September 2022)

13. Link to Post #47
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Just a quick update on this thread

more links

The movie "Final Straw: Food, Earth, Happiness" by Patrick Lydon and Suhee Kang

Here is NOT the entire movie, but a short version of it (sorry, I could not find the entire movie)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEC_...14zRHVjwngorzW

If you don't know much about Fukuoka Masanobu and Natural Farming, here is an excellent video with he himself.

and here is a great selection in their website to help people understand the current situation of the world from the viewpoint of food producing.

https://finalstraw.org/en/study/
    --

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th December 2022), Brigantia (21st December 2022), Ewan (19th December 2022), ExomatrixTV (20th December 2022), Harmony (20th December 2022), Pam (15th February 2023), Violet3 (22nd December 2022)

15. Link to Post #48
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 124,906 times in 20,684 posts

Lightbulb Re: Projects, Permaculture, Homestead, Farmstead and the likes

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)

more links

Here is NOT the entire movie, but a short version of it (sorry, I could not find the entire movie)

If you don't know much about Fukuoka Masanobu and Natural Farming, here is an excellent video with he himself.

and here is a great selection in their website to help people understand the current situation of the world from the viewpoint of food producing.

• Masanobu Fukuoka Natural Farm / Interview with Masanobu's Grandchild ― Hiroki Fukuoka:

"He used to take me to the mountain and I liked to play there with the older children in nature. He rarely got angry with me. I thought he was a very patient person." Hiroki Fukuoka―"Masanobu Fukuoka Natural Farm" the third generation farmer― talked about natural farming as cultivating to sell. He is always trying to understand the very heart of Nature. official site: f-masanobu.jp
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 20th December 2022 at 08:09.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (20th December 2022), Brigantia (21st December 2022), Ewan (20th December 2022), Harmony (21st December 2022), palehorse (21st December 2022), Pam (15th February 2023), Peace in Oz (20th December 2022), Violet3 (22nd December 2022)

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,557 times in 32,726 posts

more links

~~~

Here's the full movie:

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Brigantia (21st December 2022), Harmony (21st December 2022), kudzy (20th December 2022), palehorse (21st December 2022), Pam (15th February 2023), Violet3 (22nd December 2022), Yoda (20th December 2022)

19. Link to Post #50
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

more links

~~~

Here's the full movie:

Many thanks Bill, appreciated that.
    Just downloaded, watching tonight!
    --

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st December 2022), Brigantia (21st December 2022), Harmony (21st December 2022), Pam (15th February 2023)

21. Link to Post #51
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 times in 143 posts

I was looking for a solution to water the plants in the greenhouse while I was away. This solution works wonderfully at a very low cost and effort.

Make Easy Plastic bottle DIY drip irrigation system for plants

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peace in Oz For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (12th February 2023), Brigantia (12th February 2023), Ewan (12th February 2023), Harmony (12th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (12th February 2023), palehorse (15th February 2023), Pam (15th February 2023)

23. Link to Post #52
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 times in 973 posts

Good solution to slow a siphon to drip. Elegant in it’s simplicity and plainness, and cool in how it’s assembled.

To my eye, an important step of the start-up was off-screen (above) at 5:35 - 5:40, priming the siphon by (as normal) sucking it.

Quote Posted by Peace in Oz (here)
    I was looking for a solution to water the plants in the greenhouse while I was away. This solution works wonderfully at a very low cost and effort.

Make Easy Plastic bottle DIY drip irrigation system for plants

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (12th February 2023), Brigantia (12th February 2023), Ewan (15th February 2023), Harmony (12th February 2023), palehorse (15th February 2023), Pam (15th February 2023), Peace in Oz (12th February 2023)

25. Link to Post #53
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,639 times in 2,597 posts

Quote Posted by Johnnycomelately (here)
    Good solution to slow a siphon to drip. Elegant in it’s simplicity and plainness, and cool in how it’s assembled.

To my eye, an important step of the start-up was off-screen (above) at 5:35 - 5:40, priming the siphon by (as normal) sucking it.

It might be that you need to use cotton or an absorbant fabric as a wick that would use capillary action to move the water.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Harmony For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (12th February 2023), Brigantia (12th February 2023), Ewan (15th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (12th February 2023), palehorse (15th February 2023), Pam (15th February 2023), Peace in Oz (12th February 2023)

27. Link to Post #54
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 times in 143 posts

Quote Posted by Harmony (here)

It might be that you need to use cotton or an absorbant fabric as a wick that would use capillary action to move the water.
    I used Tree Tie or All Purpose Tie as a wick. No need to prime the siphon by sucking it.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peace in Oz For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (12th February 2023), Brigantia (12th February 2023), Ewan (15th February 2023), Harmony (12th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (12th February 2023), palehorse (15th February 2023), Pam (15th February 2023)

29. Link to Post #55
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thank you for your comment. We’d have to try it, to be sure of it.

I haven’t looked at your reference link, but I know about capillary action. In the vid, the drips are coming out of the tube, and not just off the fabric. The set-up supports siphoning, and I think the cloth serves to slow the gravity-compelled flow and to impede air bubbles entering and rising from the outlet (which would stop the siphon).

Anyway, I’m happy for the plants and their tenders. ~8) ♥️

Quote Posted by Harmony (here)

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th February 2023), Brigantia (12th February 2023), Harmony (12th February 2023), palehorse (15th February 2023), Pam (15th February 2023), Peace in Oz (12th February 2023)

31. Link to Post #56
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Interesting, Peace. Thank you.

Quote Posted by Peace in Oz (here)

I used Tree Tie or All Purpose Tie as a wick. No need to prime the siphon by sucking it.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th February 2023), Brigantia (12th February 2023), Harmony (12th February 2023), palehorse (15th February 2023), Peace in Oz (12th February 2023)

33. Link to Post #57
    Language
    English
    Thanks

We used the 2L pet bottles to watering the vases when we were out traveling for a few days, it works great. Dripping irrigation in small or large scale is very effective in places that water is a problem.
    --

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (15th February 2023), Ewan (15th February 2023), Harmony (15th February 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2023), Pam (15th February 2023), Peace in Oz (15th February 2023)

35. Link to Post #58
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Today I found this video, it worth the time watching to see how Filipe from France put so many simple things in place without breaking the bank. I am sure a lot of people can't live the lifestyle, but in a situation where there will be not many options available for those who won't accept what is coming, here is a great little blueprint of how to live a simple and happy life. He got fruits, veggies, honey all year round. He is free from the debit system, he made it with little help of the people around him.

See:
    - toilet & compost system @ 2:00
    - energy system @ 3:30
    - water system @ 6:50
    - cost of living @ 7:15 (4.000 Thai baht ~ US$ 115 /moth)
    - land legal status @12:00 (he explains the land has no official *title deed, his wife may have what they call possessory right over the land or nor sor sam which kind of certificate that allows use of the land, you can buy it from others that were living in the land as squatter or not, it depends really.)

The interviewer asked him, what was his dream for the future. The answer was "my dream is now". He says the system is fake, living in community is more real than live in a fake selfish society.

here is the full video 21 minutes.

Also plenty of interesting videos here in this channel
    https://www.youtube.com/@JonJandaiLifeisEasy/videos
    --

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (27th July 2023), Ewan (27th July 2023), Harmony (27th July 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2023)

37. Link to Post #59
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Good advice on building an earth house on the tropics.

@ 15:50 he starts his explanation about how to use straw dipped in mud as an insulator to the roof/ceiling, it also prevents fire, since the straw will be "coated" in dried mud. Important natural technique, almost never used in modern times.

Last edited by palehorse; 27th July 2023 at 14:11.
    --

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (27th July 2023), Ewan (27th July 2023), Harmony (27th July 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2023)

39. Link to Post #60
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Seed saving and intentional community with Jon Jandai in Chiang Mai - Thailand

The Most Important Thing According to Jon Jondai โจน จันใด (Full Interview)

Found this little gem earlier today, I think it fits here.
    --

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Alekahn2 (7th October 2023), Bill Ryan (7th October 2023), Ewan (25th August 2023), Harmony (26th August 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (25th August 2023), Peace in Oz (27th August 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast