+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How can you be productive if your work isn't fun?

1. Link to Post #21
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

Default Re: How can you be productive if your work isn't fun?

What a great thread to read. Equally great advice, all different. I like Ernie’s the most. I’d do that but semi-retire at 50 because a lot more jobs are far more tolerable when you only do 15 to 20 hours a week and then I’d have more money for more fun.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2022), Brigantia (24th January 2022), wondering (24th January 2022)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,823 times in 2,591 posts

I had such a variety of "boj's" over the years, and somehow, I now remember them all fondly. I guess I am just the type that tried to master and be the best at whatever I chose to do, whether it was labeled "work" or not.

I took each job seriously - like if I am choosing to be a tax auditor now, I will be the best I am able at playing that role. And same for when I chose to be a waitress, a counselor, a student, a flooring installer, even a mom. And I somehow was always able to find the FUN in the mastery of what I was doing. When I had my own small biz for awhile, that was great fun too, until it grew too big and became not fun, at which point I sold it and moved back to being a waitress, which was fun at that time.

I would say this way of being served well, actually, probably because without trying, promotions and raises would appear. Even temp jobs, I did to my utmost, and often had pleas to stay on. By knowing my services are valuable, it was easy to move on when conditions became too stressful or intrusive on my free time, and I would kindly give notice with no hard feelings, usually being begged to stay.

Some would call it a jack-of-all trades type of life, as I never pursued a career. But yet, it worked for me. I simply am the type who loves challenges and mastery. Even in my retirement now, I continue with the same, despite no payment in the legal tender. I am certain I could get a paid job tomorrow, as I believe my sincerity is apparent. I never really saw my job as my identity.

"We're all bozos on this bus"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2022), Brigantia (24th January 2022), wondering (24th January 2022)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,442 times in 32,921 posts

This is highly, highly recommended. Trust me.

(Just 10 mins, and 18.5 million views.)

Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Brigantia (24th January 2022), JackMcThorn (24th January 2022), Johnnycomelately (24th January 2022), kudzy (25th January 2022), Sue (Ayt) (24th January 2022), wondering (24th January 2022), Yoda (25th January 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,229 times in 912 posts

Very cool video, Bill. I think this is an underlying motivation that is much more common than we think, we just treat it as an exception when we see it or hear about it and don't realize it may be the rule.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2022), Brigantia (24th January 2022), Sue (Ayt) (24th January 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2