+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What genres of cinema do you prefer?

1. Link to Post #21
    Algeria Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: What genres of cinema do you prefer?

Space operas where humans go from the underdog status to a very important player in the galactic affairs
    like the stargate franchise

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abdoue2004 For This Post:

Franny (28th November 2021), Gemma13 (15th December 2021), Ratszinger (27th November 2021)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,279 times in 1,656 posts

Like the whether we humans got moods...

We can change it or Sinton at best with music we select, with movies is another tale because we are feed with a pre selected plot from others ...

than I expect talent in everything plus intelligent, whatever genre its about...

this film was a good surprise in many levels...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1549572/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Franny (28th November 2021), Gemma13 (15th December 2021), Ratszinger (27th November 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

I love Australian , New Zealand outback movies. Movies like Chopper, The Hunter, Wolf Creek, Walkabout, Rabbit proof Fence and Savage.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Franny (28th November 2021), Gemma13 (15th December 2021), Mari (27th November 2021), Ratszinger (27th November 2021), Spiral (27th January 2022)

7. Link to Post #24
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

Since above I talked about Zombie flix. This one I remembered is actually a good one worth a watch. Not a typical Z-Movie though that is why many Z-addicts did not like it. Also starring Martin Freeman who is a good actor.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Historical epics. Movies like Braveheart, Last Of The Mohicans. Apocalypto, Troy etc.

I love to laugh but I rarely watch comedies. They're always so lousy. Maybe I expect too much. I dunno.

This will likely sound weird: movies that take place in small towns, preferably with miserable weather. And dark pubs. Could be 4 hrs long and plotless and it wouldn't matter - I'd watch riveted the entire time.

Supernatural thrillers: The Mothman Prophecies, Take Shelter.

Take Shelter might be the biggest cinematic secret of all time. It's pure genius. But most of the people I've mentioned it to have never seen or heard of it. I can't believe it. Here's a short trailer:

Wow Mikey I could've writren that post myself. There is one comedy out there though that's worth watching over and over again. ARTHUR. Just make sure you get it right by watching Dudley instead of Russell

10. Link to Post #26
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for sharing. I found a lot of good movies that I haven't watched yet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JackWhite For This Post:

Gemma13 (15th December 2021)

12. Link to Post #27
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

As much as metaphysical and sci-fi are also top of my list to look into, I can't go past a good, boots on the ground, tough as nails film, or tv series, that is as realistic as possible.

We've got some great Aussie shows, (Doug shared a few), that capture our harsh, but stunningly beautiful outback, which appeal to me because I spent a good part of my life living and/or hanging out in remote towns/locations.

Current U.S. favourite is Yellowstone; especially after finding out it is based as realistically as possible with a few ridgy-didge cowboys.  The theme for corporate greed take-over is well presented as is the conflict between first nation peoples vs ranchers.  The lifestyle of living and working on the land is captivating and nostalgic though... with a good dose of gritty romance thrown in.

It's hard going watching international films but some get you in.  Money Heist being one of my favourites for the genius imagination and intrigue.

I binged thrillers for awhile but they lose their appeal when half way through you begin guessing how it's going to pan out.

Quote Posted by JackWhite (here)
    And what did you like more? Is there a specific movie?
    But, as ratzsinger listed, try not to miss out on watching SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION at least once in your lifetime.  Can't imagine you will be disappointed if you love a good thriller that is appealing on so many levels. 

13. Link to Post #28
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Your tastes in cinema

Hey guys, upload movies and TV shows of your choice with your description.
    I will be glad to your feedback.

14. Link to Post #29
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,301 times in 674 posts

Quote Posted by Gemma13 (here)
    As much as metaphysical and sci-fi are also top of my list to look into, I can't go past a good, boots on the ground, tough as nails film, or tv series, that is as realistic as possible.

We've got some great Aussie shows, (Doug shared a few), that capture our harsh, but stunningly beautiful outback, which appeal to me because I spent a good part of my life living and/or hanging out in remote towns/locations.

Current U.S. favourite is Yellowstone; especially after finding out it is based as realistically as possible with a few ridgy-didge cowboys.  The theme for corporate greed take-over is well presented as is the conflict between first nation peoples vs ranchers.  The lifestyle of living and working on the land is captivating and nostalgic though... with a good dose of gritty romance thrown in.

It's hard going watching international films but some get you in.  Money Heist being one of my favourites for the genius imagination and intrigue.

I binged thrillers for awhile but they lose their appeal when half way through you begin guessing how it's going to pan out.

Quote Posted by JackWhite (here)
    And what did you like more? Is there a specific movie?
    But, as ratzsinger listed, try not to miss out on watching SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION at least once in your lifetime.  Can't imagine you will be disappointed if you love a good thriller that is appealing on so many levels. 

The German 'Das Boot' is an absolute classic. Totally realistic, claustrophobic depiction of life on a German U Boat. Even with English subtitles, it gripped from beginning right through to the end. I found it fascinating because it told things from the German point of view.

Full youtube movie here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHBS...5wKrWhQgP8hmPV

15. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

I tend to prefer directors rather than genres, and after that actors, if certain actors are in a film I'll watch it, also if certain other actors are in a film I won't watch it.

My favourite two directors are André Tarkovsky, (my favourite film he did was Stalker) the other is Akira Kurosawa, who's films often feature my all time favourite actor, Toshiro Mifune, best ever screen Samurai, because he was of a samurai family.

One of those AK films is called Hidden Fortress, you've probably seen the rip off version set in space, it's called Star Wars..., or the Samurai ones remade scene by scene by Sergio Leone featuring Clint somebody or other.

Only joking, I'll watch anything with Mr Eastwood in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2